NORTH AMERICA CONSTRUCTION

NORTH AMERICA CONSTRUCTION Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
Only if you are desperate
I've never come across such a mismanaged group in my electrical career. I really do hope the rest of the company doesnt operate like they did on the winnipeg south end water treatment plant. I cant speak for all trades, but it was VERY obvious that the electrical supervision was inexperienced in these types of construction projects. Safety was a complete joke especially when it came to critical tasks such as energizing equipment and the use of lock out/tag out. On 2 occasions I was witness to blatent lock out violations by management that could have seriously injured a worker. On both occasions the on site safety worked with management to make the "issue" go away. Management has the "it's my way or the highway" mentality which when mixed with inexperience is a recipe for disaster.

Please, if you value your safety and take pride in your work, avoid working for the winnipeg team. You're better than that.
Nac
All these guys that are high up are from
the sault st marie area ... Boss even had meeting bragging about it. up top,, all buddies, buddies hiring buddies for jobs... No direction, fly by the seat if there pants .. wrong cables pulled everywhere , never seen scheduling as horrible as this company... cable trays look like a dogs breakfast, they stress safety , but mostly but horribly run safety group. No parts, the worst i ever seen.. winnipeg tax payers should be alerted
Stay away for your safety
Worst company I’ve worked for they are dangerous, unorganized, no quality of workmanship. They are going to kill someone. Stepping around lockout, energizing equipment and the conduit that feeds them with out notifying workers and covering it up and this was done by electrical project management Lying to employees and city officials constantly.
No material, no direction and no tools.

threatening guys jobs over safety and availability for over time.
Un organized , stressful, under paid, un professional
They have the lowest journeymen rate. Super high turn over with un experienced management. Always had no material even though there were whole sales close by. constantly doing work that isn't your trade. Never had the proper safety equipment or tyvek suits when dealing with raw sewage.
Pros
They paid on time
Cons
Long hours, belittlement, un organized, treated ontario workers better then locals.
I am grateful for working with not America because they give chances to the employees to learn.
I would recommend people from different background to apply and work for not America Construction Company. It is a great company to walk me to and you can grow skills.
dont work there
Would not reccomend. its supervisors dont care about safety. its get the job done, even if we have to go back and fix it.
supervisors told safety attendent to ammend his paperwork to show company not at fault.
4 February 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback, however, your review does contrast the following facts: (1) NAC consistently scores high on externally conducted BC COR audits, (2) numerous WSBC inspections have yielded no orders to comply, and (3) our reduced WSBC insurance premium rates indicate that NAC’s safety performance has been demonstratively better than the industry group. Please contact us directly at socialmedia@nacsworld.com or our Corporate HSE Manager at (519) 821-8000, so that we can discuss your concerns further and resolve any issues you may have.
Terrific Management Style
Worked for the company for 12 years, started as pc and promoted up to pm. No appreciation to hard work. No overtime paid for office personnel, management even asks coordinators to come to work on Saturday with no pay which is illegal. The only important thing for these guys is the duration of employment to get promoted. Super amateur management with no communication skills and micromanagement
7 January 2020
Having begun your career with NAC as a Junior Project Coordinator 12 years ago is a testament to NAC's commitment to promoting eager, skilled and hard working employees. NAC appreciates all of our employees and we recognized your efforts and dedication by promoting you to an Intermediate PC, Senior PC and then a Project Manager. NAC's projects are complex and require strong leaders. The benefits we provide are comprehensive and we are always striving to introduce new and creative benefits to enhance the NAC work hard/play hard culture. I invite you to contact me personally to discuss your experience via email to socialmedia@nacsworld.com including your contact info and I would be happy to reach out to you directly.
excellent company to work for and to make money with however work is available on a project availability basis
excellent company : respect to everyone and strong safety culture, all the project team works as a real team supporting each other, camp accommodation is paid.
Pros
paid commute to and from Fort McMurray
Cons
Fifo
Worst company ever
Working here for the last 10 months. Full of harassment and bullying. Site super can show up and close all the heaters and would yell all day long for personal stress related reasons such as hitting his boat, arguing with wife etc. No professionalism and management is all with attitude. You're treated like an idiot no matter what you bring to the company
3 December 2019
Good morning, at NAC we value our employees and their experiences at NAC. With that, we would like the opportunity to better understand your experience and resolve any misunderstandings that you may have encountered. Please contact our HR Department at 519-821-8000.
good job bad management
shift was good 14 days and night and 7 days off in between shifts.workers were great to work with .got to operator different pieces of equipment.we had camp and flights to and from edmonton or calgary so no exspenses at work. the wage was poor was getting $5.00 an hour less for the same job 10 yrs ago.management team were not for the workers all for the company and made it hard to work for. got sent back to camp to many time for weather conditions during shift with only 2 hrs. show up time so money lost each shift.
3 December 2019
Hello,

North America Construction (1993) Ltd. does not have any projects in Alberta. People often get us mixed up with another company that has a similar name. If you would like more information, please contact us at 519-821-8000. If you are interested in working with North America Construction (1993) Ltd., please view our numerous opportunities and apply on our website at www.nacsworld.com.
Great Coworkers, unpleasant suprises, watch out for buses and who is throwing who
Started as a Journeyman plumber for them building a boiler room, job was interesting and i learned a lot of things and got to work with materials and fittings i had not worked with for many years, management was ridgid and not flexible and did not take problems into advisement and things ended up being done multiple times until different journeymen couldnt make it work either, then the job and material was reworked.

HSE was strict which was good, i liked the safety aspect on both jobs i was on. saw a lot of very tired management staff which led me to believe head office management was grossly overworked and lived out of a suitcase. Hardest part of the job was not knowing where things were progressing, stage of the project etc all of a sudden it was a milestone and all hands on deck.

i didnt mind working away from home the company housing was good , roommates excellent as i worked in Red Deer and Saint Paul, i would like to of seen good crews who worked well together stay together,instead of being split up or laid off we were all willing to relocate but nothing came of it , praise for completing jobs on time and under budget were there but your reward was being laid off with no notice as job neared completion, that was a hard pill to swallow.

Very hard company to go back and work for once you have been laid off, you see the adverts for postings but when you call they tell you its for future projects they may have coming up. MY advice go to the site to get hired you have a better chance than applying online, as with any company there are good supervisors
 - more...
5 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback. NAC projects are complex and do require the highest level of quality to meet our clients expectations, project scope and deadlines. Safety is #1 with NAC – we want all employees to return home safe at the end of a hard day’s work. Our projects vary in scope and location; we do our best to offer relocation to employees based on skill set, project demands and timelines. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your team and the housing provided. We encourage applying online at www.nacsworld.com as our team seeks candidates all year long for various projects across Canada. If you have any other feedback, please reach out to us directly at socialmedia@nacsworld.com.
A sinking ship
Supervisors intimidate employees and do not encourage a positive work environment. The daily work environment is filled with stress, anxiety, disorganization, danger and no structure, poor planning. It’s a terrible work environment to come to every day and makes you not want to come to work at all.

Constructive ideas and input are not taken into consideration and quickly brushed off with intimidating or derogatory comments which makes you feel as if you don’t know anything.

NAC Hires inexperienced apprentices who need to be micromanaged and taught along the way. This wastes a lot of time, energy and resources. The employees who are experienced go above and beyond to make up for the inexperienced ones. They don't usually get job advancement or the recognition they deserve. There is very poor communication within management, city and employees which leads to jobs being re-done more than once. High turnover.

The supervisor takes weeks off every few weeks, especially during the busy time. I have no idea how these days are approved, especially in a supervisory position and during the busiest and most critical time of the job. Days taken off over a month in total over the course of several short months, but gives all employees a hard time if they take a day off for a sick child, or have to leave early for an appointment or employee visiting family overseas. Expects everyone to be on the job but yet has no problems leaving at any given time. This is not fair and sends the wrong message to employees that their personal time/situations do not matter.
Cons
Everything. Stay away!!!
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review. At NAC we aim to provide growth and opportunities to all of our employees, even on some of our largest, most complex, heavy civil projects. Please feel free to contact socialmedia@nacsworld.com so that we can better understand your concerns.
Poor Working Environment
Typical work day: Ensuring a Safe workplace, management conflict

Lessons Learned: Stand up for your rights

Workplace Culture: far below normal/industry standards

Hardest Part: ensuring the employer does not injury anyone

Enjoyable Part: Leaving the Company
Pros
Cant think of any ecept for the WorksafeBC compliance orders.
Cons
lack of support by Managment.
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for the feedback. Our commitment to the safety of our employees is a core value of our company and is immensely important to us on each and every one of our projects. We invite you to contact us at socialmedia@nacsworld.com to discuss your experiences further.
Productive and safe workplace
Safety and quality driven general contractor with a core crew of great tradesmanthat I was proud to be a part of. Management sometimes lacked experience in the related scope of work
Pros
Competitive wage and excellent benefits
Cons
Relocation a must
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working with NAC. We take great pride in the work we do and we are happy to hear that NAC is a company that our employees are proud to be a part of. If you would like to reach out to us with any further comments, please be sure to do so. You can send any questions or comments to socialmedia@nacsworld.com.
Very Poor Professionalism
Very Poor Professionalism. This company does not treat people fairly, they send voicemails and emails with misleading information and than just go back on there word. The employees hired are not trained properly to carry out their duties properly.
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for the feedback. Communication is a key component of any company and it is extremely important to us! We welcome you to contact us at socialmedia@nacsworld.com to learn how we could have made your experience with NAC better.
worked for nac short on my hours on payday take pictures of sign in sheets
Morning stretches before work was great however getting a job done at the cost of employees health like working in the rain or when the weather is above 30 makes no sense. A lot of waste at the site that could be reused.
Pros
free gloves
Cons
hidden truths in administration
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for the feedback. At NAC, we are committed to providing a safe and healthy work space for our employees, despite the weather. I encourage you to contact us at socialmedia@nacsworld.com to discuss any discrepancy on your final time sheet.
14 hr shifts great place fun working eviroment
I work they're constructing a building was a great place to work lots of good people long hours was in the winter time so very cold but everything went great great experience
Cons
Long hours cold weather rain or shine
5 September 2019
Good afternoon. Thank you for the feedback,we are delighted to learn that your overall experience at NAC & your team was a great one, despite the cold Canadian winters!
ok company
be careful what your told, not always truthful, overall good company to work for, but the bottom line is most important to management, not the people, they let people go regularly to keep the costs down it seems.
Pros
work environment
Cons
no security
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for your feedback. NAC is constantly growing and with it, our professional teams. We welcome you to contact us at socialmedia@nacsworld.com to learn more about your experience at NAC.
Learned so much working skills
Installing different instrument and devices, have to pay a tension on detail, working a dirty area, working under pressure especially almost end of the project
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for the comment. We are glad that you were able to further develop your skills as a Journeyperson with NAC, right up until the end of the project. Thank you for sticking it out!
very productive
Very fast pace, noisy, hot environment. Work under some very good supervision. Good accommodations and travel allowance.Liked working with all my co-workers of different trades and of the electrical crews.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
do not really have any
5 September 2019
Hello, thank you for the feedback. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed working with the NAC team under our experienced, trained supervisors. We work hard to ensure accommodations and allowances are suitable for our employees.
Terrible pay structure
Semi-monthly and by-weekly confusion putting workers in a higher tax bracket. Working overtime costs the employee. eg: with 10 hrs overtime, gross pay was higher but take home was about $100. less than without overtime.
Pros
Its a job and thats it.
Cons
NAC = Not A Clue.
5 September 2019
Good afternoon. NAC’s Ontario projects typically run 44 hours/week (with 1/2 days on Fridays) however, depending on project demands, sometimes overtime is provided. Feel free to contact us at socialmedia@nacsworld.com if you would like to share more about your experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORTH AMERICA CONSTRUCTION. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8