Norquest Industries Inc.

Norquest Industries Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
Personally, it's a workplace where experience is required to have a position. They also accept new students who have graduated in the field of machinists. I don't comment precisely if the company hires inexperienced personnel in the field.
Sketchy upper managment and no room for advancement. Feels like they would rather replace than promote someone. Be prepared to work hard with little recognition.
The best company where I have worked as a quality control inspector, the very friendly way of management towards the workers and the very collaborative and friendly coworkers a place where you learn and help develop as a professional.
I worked for Norquest for 2 years. Everyone there is amazing, minus maybe a couple of the front office staff. But after 2 years I came to the conclusion that all they do when it comes to talks of growing within the company, is blow smoke up your rear end. You will stay in the position you're hired for with very little chance at a decent pay raise, even after burning yourself out physically and mentally for a year and a half
It was fun to work at this company. They trained me for new techniques and technologies. Safety was a paramount point at work. I Can say, they open my hidden abilities.
I have been working at Norquest for 8 years. I first started in an administrative role working my way up to a Supervisory position. Norquest supported my growth throughout these years by providing me with the necessary training i needed to succeed in my positions. Career advancement is common at Norquest if you show your dedication, positive attitude, good attendance, etc.

The working environment is AWESOME! Working hard but having fun at the same time!
Pros
great working environment, career advancement, training, great company hosted events
I have worked at Norquest Industries for a number of years now and have very much enjoyed working here- I have no intention of going anywhere!

For office staff the requirement to work OT is generally minimal allowing for excellent work-life balance.

You will be very hard pressed to find a more invested and generous business owner / senior management team. The wages are competitive and the benefits program provided goes way above and beyond any industry standard (100% company paid premiums for health benefits saving you $$, excellent RRSP & TFSA matching program after just 1 year of employment, health and safety allowance, plus excellent staff events!)

The employees at Norquest who go above and beyond the minimum job requirement are treated exceptionally well in return for their hard work. If you are looking to work somewhere where you can do the bare minimum and collect your pay cheque, it will likely not be the right fit for you. Expectations are high for all employees. That being said, if you meet and exceed those expectations you can and will find great success working for Norquest. They focus on advancing from within whenever possible and give opportunities to those who have proved themselves deserving/capable - I have seen many people get promoted from within in my time working here.

The company does work in the Oil and Gas sector so unfortunately layoffs have been an unavoidable problem in the past. The layoffs came during the downturn that hit the entire Alberta Oil and Gas industry a few years ago. That being said, the company recovered very quickly
 - more...
Pros
Excellent benefits
Company has been around for 20+ years, i worked here for almost 4 and was one of the longest serving employee's, which kind of tells you about the staff turn around within this company; a complete revolving door.
Do not express any opinions if you want to remain employed here.

Management/Supervisors change constantly and the only way to achieve promotion is to report your fellow coworkers.

Owner has the overall say on everything and his management/supervisor team are scared.
Pros
Good benefits, Going home to a stress free enviroment.
Cons
Ive never seen a company so disconnected from its production employees. Middle management which runs the shop is compromised of a couple individuals who have zero tact when dealing with people or any formal background or training in management. Dead end career stopper here folks. Daily fear of being laid off because upper management is even worse at running a business than middle managements people skills! This place will stress you out and eventually make you miserable and crush your soul. There is absolutely no advancement oppirtunities here. You have been warned!
Pros
Shop has heat
Cons
Omg!
Worked at Norquest for about 2 years and liked it a lot ! Great, fun coworkers, best company-paid benefits I have ever had...RRSP/TFSA matching, free parking, good Christmas parties etc.! Very busy place, so lots of work available in the office. Nice clean shop and office as well. Lots of opportunities for growth in the company if you choose to work hard, stay positive and be dedicated!!
Pros
Great coworkers, benefits and growth opportunities
Good pay but no loyalty. Too many layoffs. The job was great while it lasted but who knows what will happen tomorrow. Some people found management to be to stubborn and easy to have friction with but due to the revolving door this is ever changing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad job security
Poor communication ,arrogant management
You can just feel the tension in shop

Also high turn arround due to poor machinist - management relations. I would only reccomend working here temporarily while finding another job.

Qc department seem to work against the machinists

No training program and alot of the longer term employees dont seem to care to help new employees

Kindof an every man for himself mentality.

There are a few nice people there but overall id say its a negative environment.
Pros
Cant think of any but overtime
Cons
Poor or non existent training support..
This is a Good company to work for. Shop is clean and well organized. Management and co workers are friendly. Good benefit decent pay. Would recommend this shop to anyone looking for machining work.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
N/a
good place to work , fast paced environment, over time is plentiful, fridendly employees, machine shop environment in Edmonton...................................
Got a lot of load work everyday and can do overtime because almost everyday. Just need more people to work in able to finish the daily tasks. Great co workers and very hepful.
My main tasks were loading and unloading trucks using a forklift or overhead crane. Also cutting pipe and tube using big saws. This was a temporary I acquired through a staffing agency.
Working at Norquest was an enjoyable experience .The people are easy to get along with and willing to help each other . I learned alot working there like how to assembly many different types of tools .
Norquest has progressively been going down hill. This company used have a great politics-free culture where work got done and people always knew where they stood within the overall company structure. Hard work was recognized and rewarded and the President was actually seen talking with his employees (not locked in his office everyday). This was a place I enjoyed coming to work for.

I say it's a great place for self-starters because if you expect training forget it! It's a sink or swim world here. Your co-workers are great, they'll take time to help you out and show you things but don't look to your manager/supervisor because he will be too busy working on assignments from the President/Owner.

So much changed in the last 5 yrs or so: no more perks like free coffee (we also used to have free pop years ago), employee recognition is all but dead, suggestions are ignored unless your a manager, company owner monopolizes managers' time and doesn't actually allow them to manage their own departments. He also seems to change his mind more often than a traffic light.

Hardest part of anyone's job: the company owner micromanages everything but doesn't really get anything done because he's too involved with deciding what font a form must have. Even when he's presented with quality work product he picks it apart and insists on redoing everything from scratch in his own over-processed way. He insists on being the final word on everything and in doing so completely undermines his entire management team.

There have been significant cuts to personnel and compensation/benefits due
 - more...
Pros
Great co-workers/colleages, company match RRSP/NRSP (currently suspended), fast paced environment, challenging work.
Cons
Last minute meeting cancellations, managers in lock-down, breaking commitments to employees, general toxic attitude of president
Set up and operated Machining Center(Mazak VTC800 series, Nexus 700D series and Kitamura -Fanuc control).The manufacturing plant has a wide variety of CNC machines to learn , but management system was totally unexperienced .The co-workers are friendly. The hardest part of the job is none! But the most enjoyable part of the job is having a lot of chances to learn and challenge from CNC machines as well as many different projects.
Pros
1/2
Cons
12/day
Nice and productive to work.The work is not boring always busy but not that tiring.The employees from the top to the least of workers are easy to deal with.Not all of them.All in all nice company.
Pros
Free coffee, Breakfast every monday morning.
Cons
Productive in a way but to many bosses.
Productive/long working hours,minimal supervision
Currently shortage of work and many people laid off
Pros
Free dinner once in month