Normerica inc
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Normerica inc Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
raises are far and few between

heavy work

training is limited

management has no production skills

housekeeping is never ending

dust collectors dont work
Cons
long hours/some days where you dont work because of no clay
Salary was good, benefits were awful (only prescription and dental, no extended health). Fear driven environment, privately held company allows the owner to make emotional decisions regarding your livelihood. Prior to Covid the firing average was 1/week. Fingerprint sign ins were required to ensure all office workers arrived on time and did not leave even a minute early. You must receive special permission to send emails before 12pm and phone lines do not have voicemail or a switchboard, departments are required to take turns answering the calls and redirecting them. The owner is untrusting and power hungry.
Pros
Free lunch during Covid as work from home was not an option
Cons
no sick days, no personal days, poor benefits, poor ownership, fear based culture, etc etc etc
I was hired for general labour (working on the lines), I have had a few shifts where all they wanted me to do was clean for 8 hours and they sent home the temps half way through the shift. They keep bouncing me around between lines, force Saturday shifts labeled as "mandatory". The lines are always breaking down, so theres a lot of just standing around waiting for them to out a band aid on it so we can run the line for anther 15 minutes before it breaks down again.
Pros
Paid for breaks, christmas party
Cons
They don't care about you. You are replaceable.
Most people in the office don't last 6 months. Very uncomfortable work environment. If you don't have an office, you're a nobody and will be replaced and replaced and replaced.
Pros
pay is average
Cons
Badly managed
Very good place to work.
- good people

- good management

- good workload

- every day is different

- place of learning

- place to grow within the company
It is not a good place to work , but it gave me an opportunity to grow due to the lack of organization and guidance, no job security at all and no respect or appreciation for your work.
I would recommend working here to others. Management is friendly as well as other co workers. No issues to report, good place to work. Management provides accurate training.
They have no care for their employees or their safety, wont buy safety equipment at all. only work here if its the choice between this or homelessness
Pros
Cons
everything bad you can imagine in a company
Was a former employee, the management here is ridiculous....your not trained to run a machine you are threaten to go home. Under staffed. If you are a women your not allowed to work in shipping/ recieving department even if you are qualified for the position. They make you promises...never follow through with them.
Pros
Employees are great to work with
Cons
Mangement sucks, lack of training, pay sucks
I will not throw this company under the bus like most but what I can say is be weary of people promises of easy work and job security because it’s not true at all . They work you hard and no recognition. Management there is like a revolving door. They do not care about your welfare you are just there to work like a slave. The plant manager, hr and administration are pathetic take about being puppets they are all that and more. Please anyone be weary of this company if your are looking for a good decent job.
Pros
Cons
Eveything
Easily the worst places on earth to work in the 6 yrs I was there we went through 20 plant managers and literally hundreds of workers..only if you are kissing up to head office will you have a chance to get ahead..but doing above and beyond will only get you nowhere as others take credit for whatever good work YOU do and if they make mistakes..YOU are the one to blame..owner is very nasty man..place is run by head office in Toronto and has no clue what they are doing stay clear from this place if you value your lungs also .cancer causing dust is so bad..
Pros
None come to mind
Cons
Min wage..no advances no recognition sweatshop environment
Horrendous work environment, total lack of leadership, communication, training, teamwork and the list goes on. Management walks the aisle not to say HI but to yell and embarrass employees. Very high turnover, not even the above average salary entices people to stay. A handful of colleagues willing to help you learn the rest are too busy trying to cover their backs to avoid embarrassment at the hands of management. Not worth your time, experience and hard work. No opportunity for growth or to even contribute your ideas.
Pros
Cons
Everything under the sun
Good people terrible managment turnover very very dusty. Took 8 months to get promised and supposed 3month raise with no back pay!!!! Was great when it came to flexing my hours for balance if work and fulltime college
Pros
Helpful with education
Cons
Dustu
I saw many people that cared about their work and poured in they're creativity and sweat into they're jobs. It was rare to see any of them get recognized. It's really a "what have you done for me lately" type place. It was hard to stay motivated when you would have an idea to fix a problem and get it shot down because??? No reason given. The people that cared about what they did, left or were layed off. The ones that stayed stopped caring. The ones that sucked up and said yes to everything seemed to get promoted. There was a lot of favorites. My manager was good, but I could see the hardship with him trying to keep things together many days, hope they found theyre way out. Shame that the company can be so much more.

This is where you go if you want to hate your job. There's a reason why there are so many openings and why they stay open for so long. Beware.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
High turnover, demotivating culture, no great benefits
Managed by fear, lack of consistency. People in the plant are good to work with. Being managed by a head office an hour away and out of touch with the day to day happenings.
My day Starts with me figuring out what products I'm running for the day then I set up my line accordingly. For this I had to set my lable printers, scales, jug packaging machine, and automatic palletizer. I also ran the packaging department for the bakery which also required me to know what products I was running for the day. I then chose the dog treats required and the dispensery rate for each for an even blend when they get to the scaled hopper which I manually operate via a foot pedal in order to fill the proper bags with product. Everything required for me to do my job properly and efficiently was taught to me by Normerica.
Pros
always overtime
Cons
Lines breaking
Ridiculous work place, place run by dictatorship. Constantly looking over your shoulder and not sure if you have a job the next day. Worst turnover I've ever seen.
Pros
Cons
Almost everything
So during winter all we did was work and sleep the Normerica in Lethbridge handles pretty much all distribution for its product for most of Canada and a bunch of the states so we would be so overloaded with orders it was ridiculous i remember one time some of us worked 21 hours so if you are a workaholic its great for the winter
Pros
paid great
Cons
extremely long winter hours
Their is a lack of communication between supervisors and workers. They have no regard for their workers or quality of product. Their extremely disorganized and have no planned schedule. The equipment is very beat up and constantly breaks down.

They tend to promise allot and they aren't able to keep their word. as well any job advancement is nearly impossible. asking for a raise is like pulling teeth.

Very high turn over rate and very high injury rate. As well they tend to unexpectedly fire injured and overworked employees
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no planned schedule
Normerica is fast-paced, and I liked that. Some people don't like the pace and understandably it's not the right place for them! I found it to be both challenging and rewarding as I got to realize my own potential more.
Completely unprofessional management. People will throw you under the bus here in a heart beat. I for one have not experienced it, but have seen it done by not only management but co-workers on numerous occasions. Management refused to give 6 month review and raise that was promised nearly a year into employment... other employees had been waiting for years for raises, most of which were making the $14/hr they started at years ago while new employees performing the same jobs with less experience were being hired on at $15/hr.
Pros
More than minimum wage
Cons
Many