Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Change of management ruined my time
Women's Fine Fragrance Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Canada3 July 2018
Culture completely changed when new management stepped in. Most counter managers unhappy and expected too much of them at event time. A lot of staff had stress leave & left when things didn't change. Unmotivating atmosphere. Hard to have a work life balance when there are so many beauty events and you cannot have leave leading up to them.
Great discounts & product.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Hard to take time off
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 June 2018
Great job culture, hardest part is very competitive, althoguth encourages one to work ad strive harder. Learnt customer relationship skills. Enjoyable part is fun working environment
Bad management1
Assistant Department Manager, Women's Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
beware of bad managers and assistant managers. most department managers do not have retail management experience and I saw a lot of bad management styles. very sad to see.
Managers are horrible
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
The managers expect the impossible, I worked at nordstrom in the women's shoes department for a few months. It was a very good learning experience as i was able to deal with many customers and learn about how the customer always comes first.It was also nice working in commission because i was able to determine my own salary depending on how much sales i did. I left because the hours became too much with school.
messed up
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  31st on 6th ave7 June 2018
they just dont know anything about what they are doing they just heir people with degrees to be managers with no experience rather than heiring somebody who knows what they are doing
meh
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2018
The fun can only last so long so don't get to comfortable, It's basically high school with all the gossip that goes around. Management won't teach you anything
Productive Work Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 May 2018
Quite structured with a fair atmosphere. Good place to work but needs more incentives for employees and better communication from the higher positions of the company.
Fun workplace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2018
As a line cook you are responsible for setting up your station and starting to work instantly, it is a fast pace due to the amount of volume that it does daily. I learned to become efficient with what I do. Great environment if you enjoy working as part of a large team.
Pros
helpful staff
Cons
you can not be creative
productive and a fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2018
Fun place to work but low pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2018
It is a great place to work and learn the ethics of business owners. Luckily I had cool management and a few cool co-workers but the pay was not enough. It is commission based and usually, traffic is slow. You work and sell how you want to but if you're looking to go in and make a lot of money from doing nothing, that's incorrect. You have to be able to grind, have a lot of patience, and have great interpersonal skills for you to make a career out of this.
Pros
1 hour lunches, benefits, good environment
Cons
Long hours, payout was typically too low
It was a good experience
Sales associate on commission (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2018
I learned a lot! It taught me a lot of about financial, sales and communication based skills. As well as management skills, and helped me grow through several workshops.
Fun work place with very friendly colleagues
Sales Representative - High End Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 April 2018
Some observations.
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2018
No work to life balance. Management was helpful but there was not enough organization when it came to training. The culture was very fun at first but later they seemed to be a bit controlling.
Tense and stressful work environment.
Seasonal salesperson (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2018
Working here you are pressured to meet sales goals that are highly unrealistic and not reflective of the customer volume on average. After working there for only a month, I was being given sales goals which required me to sell more than what the department made in each of the last three days as a whole. Peers are quick to steal sales as soon as you aren't looking even when they know you are helping a customer and are passive aggressive about sale stealing habbits. Don NOT recommend.
Designer Brands (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2018
I enjoyed working at Nordstrom Ottawa, they provided us with great one-month training (Fashion trends & customer services) , great work experiences, and also great employee discount.
Pros
employee discount, fashion trends updates
Cons
commision & sometimes pressure
Very good
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
Good place to work, good training provided. They have a good vibe for customers but don't treat the employees half as good. Also discount is so low you can barely afford anything.
Pros
Training is intensive and helpful
Cons
benefits non existent to part time employees
Fun and professional environment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2018
The atmosphere was positive and everyone appreciates you for your efforts. The day to day customers are very professional and therefore were very understanding of the workplace.
Nordstrom Sales (Former Employee) –  Chinook, AB1 April 2018
By being in sales, was very enjoyable. It was a fast paced environment with great management. a typical day at work would go by very quickly, and the training process was amazing. They would give you time to learn the systems.
Needs improvement
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2018
Difficult to manage work/life balance, especially for students. The management has extremely high expectations and they are often very difficult to follow through with.
Responsable and hardworking management team
Personal Stylist Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 March 2018
Nordstrom has a responsable and hardworking management team. The team members are easy to keep in touch with, and always provide reasonable ideas to solve employees problems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.

53.2K