Nordstrom

Canada439 reviews

Found 439 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,587 reviews
commissionsalefavouritismretailfashionstoredepartmentdiscount

Kinda monotonous

It’s okay to work in this place if you need something you can kill your time with. The hours you get a week depend on sales and customer attendance. Wage is close to the minimum and there’s overtime opening in holidays and rush seasons. Management is ok. They’re always keeping track on you.

Fair work but expectations need to be managed

Pay is fair and the work-life balance is reasonable. As a retail company, sales are expected to be a priority but support teams were treated unfairly. During COVID lockdowns, support teams were what kept money coming in through E-Commerce and Curbside Pickup but once restrictions lifted, support team hours were immediately cut. Some seriously unreasonable workloads were expected to be completed as well.Overall, great role if you have other things planned on the side otherwise it's not worth the pain and stress of growing with the company. Support roles specifically are under appreciated. Benefits are solid for what it is though.

Insights into Nordstrom

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Nordstrom

Fun place to work but very competitive and sometimes co-workers can get nasty due to seeking commission. Workplace culture is fun but challenging in terms of getting sales.

Good mangement but not worth the pay

They push you to work very hard but are not willing to pay you more then $15.95. If you do not work in a customer service job you are not making commission are barely making more then minimum wage, but you are still expected to do the same amount of work and sometimes more. Managers are delusional and think they are being generous but they are extremely frugal and are quick to fire you for simple mistakes.

To be honest I donno

My experience was fair and just had a good time met great workers and shared a great time Nordstrom was fun I was there for 8 months and left over fries so my departure wasn’t as glorious but good time there just not fond of management

Draining

The way they make commission makes it either really easy to make extra money but also impossible at times. The job follows you home and doesn’t pay you enough to do so. It’s not all bad but I wouldn’t recommend it long term.

Pros

Good commission

Cons

Long hours, very competitive

Good management

Management was always helpful, wage was great for the amount of responsibility. Always flexible and understanding with scheduling as well! Friendly coworkers.

Fast paced

Can be fast paced and stressful during holidays. Competitive work culture and pay was not the best, but managers were caring. At least at my location.

Great for advancement and experience!

The company is very good at helping you get to wear you want to be. If you’re goal is to become a manager, they will lead you in the right direction. If it’s to be a top sales person, they will train you well on that extensively as well.

Solid place to work!

overall great place to work. good salary and benefits. best part of the job is the people that you work with, there are a lot of great people you meet

Fun place to work

Management makes sure employees feels comfortable in the environment they work in and the company is customer obsessed and loves hiring employees who understand what it is to be customer obsessed!

Pros

Sample tasting of new menus, employee discounts

Cons

Working weekends

horrible job

at first i loved the job because the management team seemed supportive and the work culture was great. the more i worked there, the more i saw the cracks. first, the amount of pressure they put on you to sell is ridiculous (definitely not worth it especially because of the hourly wage and only a 20% store discount.) every hour during my shift, my managers would constantly tell me i need to sell more even though there were NO customers in the store. after each customer you cash out, they would ask me why i didn't get them to buy more. it's also very competitive especially with the associates that worked there for a long time. they would constantly steal your customers and it gets to the point where you and all your coworkers are fighting over one customer since it's commission based (even managers steal customers from you) upper management constantly says "you create your own paycheque" or "this is your business and you can create the life you want for yourself", which i found to be very cult like, especially their weekly pep meetings every saturday mornings. all in all, i would not recommend working here. their management team has a lot to work on, and they're all power hungry.

Very expandable

Hired to train to be a bartender,did not work out,ended up bussing instead,left after 6 weeks,couldn't make rent so i looked for another job,co-workers were the best,management could have been better.was really nice vibe

Good workplace if you know how to navigate your way through people.

The department managers so far are very approachable and understanding however I do feel that there’s definitely favouritism in play. Working in beauty has a decent base pay plus 3% commission. I lucked out since the brand I work for has amazing team members but working in a commission based environment, things can get a little heated at times. The worst part however is the employee discount. Employees get 20% only which will be bumped to 33% in December for 3 weeks (management and top earners gets 33% and bumped to 40%).

Pros

-Restaurant and cafe discount -Gratis

Cons

-Employee discount

Slow paced- managers would patronize, and undermine

Started to work there, thinking I could gain some experience in retail. But was let down by the manager, and the assistant manager. The managers would undermine me in front of customers and other department heads and employees.

Management was terrible

The only thing that I liked during my time at Nordstrom was the salary. Good base pay, great commission. The management makes or breaks the experience though, from my experience management is toxic and unwilling to listen to feedback. They play favouritism cards super heavy and have no respect for their workers.

Pros

pay

Cons

management

nice floor

Well enough. The working time can be selected, the scheduled time is very early, and the break time is very reasonable. Product inventory management is poor, no policy to solve the problem.

Pros

break is good

Cons

management poor

Fun place to work at

Overall it is a decent retail job. Training is thorough and transparent. The people are generally nice. You have to be fashionable at all times and that is hard on that salary.

Fun place to work at with the right people

Great place to work at it could be toxic sometimes from some individuals, Management is okay not the best. Pay was not that good you will be paid in whichever is higher either your salary or you get commission if exceeded your regular minimum wage pay you don’t get both. Overall was fair

Management is really bad. HR is no help. Prepare a strong mentality to survive working there. Even if you work hard no one will be appreciated. If you are favoured by upper management you won’t get fired no matter what you do. Good luck.

Pros

Discount

Cons

No work life balance

Relaxed and no stress at work

My overall experience is average. Teammates can be bad or supportive, no technical skills here. Just require you to show up to work.Career growth is less

Pros

Casual dress

Cons

Standing for hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement