Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Great but not for me
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2018
I did not know what to expect from the new store opening of Toronto, It was a really great experience and very fun but at the end it just was not for me.
summary
Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2018
awesome management and amazing team. supportive and creative atmosphere. competitive and goal oriented environment that keeps you on your toes overall
Great Core Values
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2018
Nordstrom has a great inclusive and diverse workplace. They support minorities and participate in their community. They provide great tools to create an excellent customer service experience.
Terrible Management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
This company hires the worst possible management. They are all young individuals who micro-manage and do not care at all about their employees. It was an absolute nightmare.
Productive workplace
Supply Chain Distribution Center Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON1 October 2018
Employer is new to Canada and there are still some learning curves with regards to how business is run in Canada.
Upper Management is somewhat difficult to deal with and they do not include Canadian employees in decision making processes.
Fun, Inclusive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 September 2018
Awesome workplace culture, full-time employees are treated with benefits.
Management is always there to help and assist in anything you need. All together a supportive work environment.
store manager is rude
Store Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 September 2018
Most managers are rude and treat you like a number. They let their job title get to their heads. i strongly believe that Nordstrom is a good company but they need to train their managers peoples skills.
fun place if you're into fashion and making commission
Service experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
in selling departments long hours of standing is the worst part but if you're busy selling during those time you're basically writing your own paycheck based off of the amount that you sold that day.
in service you're busy taking phone calls resolving issues with clients face to face, teaching and troubleshooting with employees. multitasking to say the least.
Was overall Beneficial
Makeup Artist, Sales Associate, BOC (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2018
Learned a lot of skills when it came to working with people!
Gained a lot of confidence in working one on one with customers, as well as product knowledge.
Pros
Two 15 minutes breaks, Good hours
Cons
Poor Management
Don't do it.
Loss Prevention Agent - Investigator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2018
The management within this company is absolutely atrocious. They will stab you in your back given the first opportunity and promote strictly based on duration of employment over education and knowledge.
Great pay! Horrible everything else...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2018
Honestly it was an amazing experience being able to work closely with the brands I've always loved but the biggest downfall would have to be the stores management skills.

If something were to occur they don't bother to speak to you in private, I've been yelled at in front of all my coworkers over something as petty as having a drink on the sales floor despite my shift being over and I was on my way home. They have no regards for your personal life, they want you to be about Nordstrom quiet literally 24/7.

As for the workplace culture, it seemed to be a friendly environment at first but as the time went on I felt like I was back in high school dealing with petty drama everyday. People were constantly arguing about stealing sales from one another while others would try and get someone fired because they claimed to have "stolen" their customer.

It seems like all I've said were just a bunch of bad experiences but that's honestly all I could remember after working there. Just about the only positive experience I can openly admit to having would be that I met my best friend there and gained the opportunity to travel to South Korea, a place I've always dreamed of going, but of course with that I had to quit working there because they weren't willing to give me the designated time I needed off for it... Yet somehow their managers always seemed to despair for months on end then magically returned and claimed they were "sick".

But don't let me cloud your judgement, maybe you'll end up having a better time than I did.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Very competitive, Horrible management skills
Love it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2018
I love working for Nordstrom. The experience with managers vary, but the people are worth it. Most coworkers will help you when cross selling, which is encouraged. If you really like being involved with the customer experience and helping them to their fullest extent, this is the job for you! Management will do their best you help you get to where you want. A few difficulties would be keeping work and life separate. Often times on days off customers will text you wanting something. Making goals when business is slower. However it's all about being a strong team player and all about the customer. Also, store meetings have free breakfast. And some days the store will have contests where you can win coffee cards :) And if you miss your sales goal you only get hourly pay (no commission).
Pros
Team and customer focus
Cons
Miss commission
Accepting and diverse workplace with amazing coworkers
Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 August 2018
Working at Nordstrom was one of the best experiences of my life, learning so much about sales and different ways of approach. Coming in to work was never a drag, I would always look forward to seeing what was planned for the day. Very goal oriented, every single day was a new objective to achieve. The management was great but maybe a little bit hard to differentiate professionalism with friendship. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep busy on the down times when there's no sales coming in. The most enjoyable part was working along side the most amazing people I've ever met up until now.
Productive, energetic, fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 August 2018
Great place to work if sales driven. A lot of opportunity to develop and clientele base to fund your business. Management can be ok depending on what department you work in.
Fun to work at nice view
Beauty on call (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 August 2018
Loving the job couldn’t ask for a more better location very friendly co workerx because of the good management nice view of downtown Vancouver open and clean place
Room for advancement
Artist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2018
Working at Nordstrom was a wonderful opportunity. I worked as a Beauty Artist, so my position opened up many doors for me. I learned about many different product lines. The workplace culture is quite fun. You work with likeminded individuals who are passionate about their work.
Busy in a good way and interesting I learned a lot of new skills
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
My time at Nordstrom was a very productive filled experience, everyday was different and an opportunity to learn something new, what I enjoyed the most is the that no day was the same which encouraged me to grow as a person and as a professional, my experience was mostly positive, as a busy high end retailer I loved working at nordstrom.
Pros
discount on expensive clothes
Cons
sometimes rude cusomers
Top best company in canada
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2018
Working at Nordstrom Eaton center has taught me plenty. I personally love working here. the best part of working here is their HR Management team. i believe that they have a genuine helped everybody the best way they can.Truly a phenomenal culture built into the work environment! Be Flagship!!
Benefits
Cons
n.a
Fun environment, but commission pressure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 August 2018
I've worked at two different Nordstrom locations, one wherein I was a rover so I worked in many different departments, and I've had great coworkers every time. It's a fun and beautiful environment, but it is commission based so there is some pressure and the occasional argument about whose sale is whose.These kind of arguments will occur in any commission environment though so I don't think they're deal breakers; just stick with your customer as best you can. I don't think people are as catty or sharky as other commission retailers seem. My managers never got mad if I didn't make the sales goal that day, they were supportive and understanding. However, they do expect to see you work harder to try to make up for it. Nordstrom prides itself on great customer service and their inverted pyramid model which puts sales staff above corporate staff so there's almost always a positive atmosphere on the sales floor. There's a lot of opportunity to advance within the company, just talk to your manager.
Pros
lots of opportunity for advancement, good pay and benefits
Cons
pressure to meet sales goals
Fun place to work at
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
Excellent to work at ...I had awesome co workers and hours are really flexible.. If your an early bird than this is the great place for you to work at!
Pros
Free lunch and activities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.

53.4K