NOIC Academy

NOIC Academy Employee Reviews

Decent. Lots of work but great staff. The school is one of the greatest I have ever worked at. Unbelievable amount of support and the students are well behaved and

Good for starting but no future

The job enviroment and teachers are amazing. The students are very respectful and great at listening and the location of the school is definitely a plus. However, The school does not value job security and also they're very much going to find a way to not give you a salary raise so you're basically making minimum wage. They will also promise bonuses which they'll find a way to avoid.

Pros

Great teachers, great students

Cons

Long hours, Minimal pay, no job security and no raise.

Not the greatest experience - Bad fit -Long hours-Not Rewarding-Not for me.

NOIC Toronto is driven by demands from its Chinese owner and very involved and opinionated affluent Chinese parents based in China who do not hesitate to report any type of displeasure - valid or not. They are paying the big $ and want to get every penny's worth. *Expectations high *No room for error/learning the ropes. *N0 paid/unpaid training/PD *Jump in and sink or swim.There is "support", but don't ask for it - it will be viewed as weakness and incompetence. Courses often assigned last minute with no time to properly prepare.Credit courses: extremely demanding/little flexibility/A LOT of unpaid prep/marking/navigating multiple platforms and assumptions you understand the "system" - technical and teaching *Pretty sure people watching/monitoring online classes.A previous review commented that you will be $ penalized and reprimanded for even a minute of dismissing students early,(true) but not rewarded for extra effort spent with students on your own time,or during the unpaid mandated 20m break for students. You will receive "rude" texts reminding you that "your lesson starts soon .. be prepared'!" or "you need to start your lesson now!" - unavoidable/unexpected technical problems? - no sympathy.Tutoring/non-credit courses may be less stressful, and word has it, much easier to teach with little prep and no marking. Private schools are driven by $. If you are prepared to commit to structure/told what to do when/how and now and no other job to go to, this is for you. Life balance and making $- probably not.

Pros

Most staff are nice in the Toronto office in Canada, but very serious

Cons

$ driven, stressful pressure to perform, Canadian curriculum with Chinese stiffness and structure, poor $ for the amount of work expected outside of paid teaching hours

Excellent opportunity for the right person

As a retired classroom teacher, I was looking for some supplemental income doing what I enjoyed and was good at. NOIC, with its online courses, offered me a great opportunity to do just that. They have provided competent course material, offered excellent training and continued support, and have approached me with a positive attitude. When I did not do something that I was supposed to do, an administrator admonished me and made sure that I got back on track (consistent student feedback is a particular weakness of mine). As well, they have trusted me with different course offerings. I would say that teaching online courses for NOIC is an excellent opportunity, especially if you are not depending on it for your main income. Lastly, the software used - Classin - is definitely a cut above many of the LMS out there and far above the schools which use Zoom.

Pros

Opportunities, Quality software, Great training, Supportive Administrators, Positive Attitudes

Cons

I don't have any. Once you understand what you are undertaking, you should be entirely satisfied.

Rigid Environment, Low Pay

NOIC pays by the minute. That means if the class is 1 hour and 50 minutes, you get paid for that exact time, not for 2 hours. This, despite the fact that there is always pre-class preparation to do, and you must be in the classroom 15 minutes prior to class start time. Also, post-class feedback is mandatory. So essentially, NOIC is NOT paying you for at least 20 - 25 minutes of work. In fact, rather than the 1 hour and 50 minutes that you ARE paid, they SHOULD be paying you for 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Job is stable if you does your work well but benefits is not nearly as good

Job is stable if you does your work well but benefits is not nearly as good. However, if you are looking to expend your skills and knowledge in Education it is not a bad place to start.

New Job

Nice simple job where you tutor high school students. On the plus side, it is rather fun. On the negative side, they have way too many tutors, rather than giving each tutor many hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NOIC Academy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4Job security/advancement