No Frills

Working at No Frills: Employee Reviews

Canada2,073 reviews

Found 2,073 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,103 reviews

High Expectations for minimum wage, Friendly management

I worked for No Frills as a Receiver and dairy stocker. The expectations set upon the workers is high for just minimum wage, you are almost expected to do the job of two people for the price of one. The close management were friendly, chill and easy to talk to, however the people controlling the store managers are manipulative and consistently expect higher and higher productivity and profits which puts pressure on the managers which ultimately comes back on you. Due to the company being unionized they also don't let you work full time at my location to avoid giving you benefits.

Pros

Good direct management

Cons

Hard work, high expectations for min wage

Exploitative, low pay, stay away

Pretty terrible, worked here for a long time the company simply doesn’t care about anything other than lining the pockets of those at the top. Avoid if you’re not in danger of starving to death.

Pros

Some good people

Cons

Trash pay, management is weak and incompetent

Insights into No Frills

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

No frills- not a frill to work there

Horrible place to work, owner treats employees horribly. They belittle you, there never in the office. If you complain about something they cut your hours. Very unpleasant work environment. I would never recommend this place ever, you work your hardest and they don't appreciate it at all. They only care about themselves.

Nice place to work

I never had any problems working here. I actually really enjoyed working at No Frills, and never had any issues. It's also a great place to gain experience (especially if this is your first job) . The only thing I have to say is that the main manager wasn't the greatest but everyone else was very helpful and kind to me from the beginning. They have a super flexible schedule and I definitely recommend working here.

I love working at no frills as a cashier I talked with and help customers on all of my shifts

I enjoy helping people and serving the public .Being a Cashier at No Frills was a great job for me, I want a job where I thrive and helping other somehow makes me feel happy. At the end of a shift I always felt good about myself because I took the time to make some one smile or helped them in a productive and friendly manner.

If your boss is dope it should be fun

My store in particular and really awesome managers, co workers were friendly as well, and they were very good with time off and special requests, would recommend!

Poor pay and can only get part time hours

Management does not care about rewarding good or long-term staff with raises or giving full time hours. Turnover is high. Good job for students who only want part time hours.

Good for a first job

It's a job. If you are a hard/smart worker and can push to get it done, you are pretty much left to your own devices. But, it is not for the faint of heart.

A place for experience

Too much stress for too little pay. Very poor management. Very unorganized. Have been lied to multiple times and been conned out of things I deserved. Wouldn’t recommend the pharmacy.

Pros

Literally nothing

Cons

Poor management, low pay, unorganized, lies

Okay for part time

This is my review from working here. It is only my experience and others might have something different to say. Okay for part time. Good people but the pay is too low.

Productive, good work ethics, experience

Very good first job work experience, accepting, great for team work, keeps you busy, making good friends with fellow co-workers, learning basic work ethics and growing as an employee and part of a team.

Pros

Work ethics

Cons

recognition

good place

laidback job and very easy to do. i enjoyed talking to many new different customers every single day. the job is not that stressfull in a way. the people at work make it better

Pros

nice people

Cons

rude people

A good first experience

An ideal part-time job as a student. Lots of flexibility and a moderately paced environment. Management was lacking when I worked there, but everyone knew their tasks.

Low pay, legs hurt from standing in one spot

I worked here all through high school and my Legs and back would kill because you literally stand in one tiny spot for so many hours and don’t move around. The pay is low. The store is cold. The customers are rude. No real room for career advancement. This job was the most boring one I’ve ever had. Not worth it. They make you face the isles at end of night before you leave too even if your just a cashier and not in the grocery department.

Fun workplace

Fun place to work, good atmosphere. Job wasn't hard to do, pretty straight forward. Day went by quickly with and at a good pace which was really nice.

Somewhat enjoyable experience

It's a minimum wage job so there's certainly aren't high expectations but at times management will ask for too much of you. Co-workers are great and are willing to help if need be. The worst part of the job was having to push the buggies for hours at end in the scorching sun.

Easy for a new worker

It was easy for a high schooler to apply and work at the business. I stocked shelves, so it was fairly easy and I got along with other employees. Only complaints I would have for the company, would be from the customers, some were rude, some men were creepy, but you get that everywhere.

Pros

Easy

Cons

Weird customers; sometimes

Pays the bills

They hire kids in school to do the “easy” jobs that require little to no training like grocery/tills. Frankly, I think they can take advantage of young people’s naïvety but they get away with a lot. Personally did more work than my title and didn’t get paid extra. I did “department manager” tasks on the computer IE: ordering and claims for my manager There’s no benefits at all and you aren’t allowed to work more than 32 hrs/week. Hours fluctuate weekly. I’ve personally done mandatory overtime to get things done because the owners refuse to go over hours. Any adults are expected to carry the brunt of the work load as they are not replacing managers as they retire.

Pros

Casual, laid back atmosphere

Cons

No discount, no benefits, mandatory overtime

Busy and stressful lots of drama

This job really depends what part if the store your working in at the front end the manager broke confidentiality twice lots of the younger staff is catty and full of drama

You can earn money while studying in college

I worked there as a part time cashier, work place culture is good. Enough breaks are provided specially if you are doing long shifts for 8 hours......

Don’t do it.

Don’t work here. The management will mess you over in a heartbeat. It is junk pay and too much work. It is a joke. Just take your time and find somewhere else to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at No Frills. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement