Nightingale Electrical Employee Reviews

Cheap foreman, rushed work, poor job security
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 May 2019
The foremen, doing the bare minimum as they make it look like they are actually doing work while relentlessly criticizing employees
and telling them to work faster or else you're fired. When the employees work faster to get ahead of schedule, the foreman sends employees home because there isn't enough work to do and the workers end up losing an hour and a half pay due to the cheap foreman who only cares about money.

When the job is going slow, foremen is constantly blaming the lack of progress on the employees working ability to the project manager, and you'll see some of your coworkers get fired, or sent to another site.

Employees who have been there long enough, all seem to know the problem is management and the culture that is this company has promoted the real issues of favoritism leaving many good skilled workers unemployed after being poorly treated, while hiring a bunch of cheap labour (first year apprentices) and throwing them in situations where they cannot succeed and screaming at them to work faster where it's harder for them to learn how to do things correctly.
Foreman makes you do plugs on your knees for 11 months straight if you're a first year and doesn't allow you to sit on a bucket or a spool of wire because it "looks unprofessional" or "if you're in pain you'll work faster"

Rush work with very little training for apprentices. First years are forced to figure out things on their own and when they do it incorrectly, journeyman are screaming and berating them because they don't know how to do it.

You get one break per day and it's unpaid. They
  more... don't pay OT and force you to work more than 8 hours a day for straight time pay and they don't care about your health.

If you're going to work for this company and work for their low wages, do not pour your heart, blood, sweat and tears to this company as they do not appreciate any of your hard work. When layoff time comes, you'll be gone. Every 6 months they try to find ways to reduce what little benefits they offer.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
bad management
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 April 2019
management and foremens were not good. they dont even listen to you and just post their orders on you.all time they change their targets and force you finish the same thing in other way.
Pros
shift timings
Cons
management and supervisors
FRIGHTingale
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 February 2019
Typical day would be talking to your foreman about your task and when you don't finish it in time, foreman gets upset with you and questions your competence. Company is all about money so they hire as many apprentices as they can to save money. Hardest part of the job is the amount of apprentices that need to be watched and you have to be able to do your own job while watching and training apprentices. Pay is really low. Recently decided to raise their Journeyman rate from $29 to $30.

Work is also rushed and done poorly with forced OT for straight time pay.
Pros
Sometimes pizza for lunch
Cons
8.5 Workdays with 30min break, rushed work and little training
Not like family and stay away
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 January 2019
They have lots of a project. The project manager gave me layoff without reason. They said "shortage of work and thank you for your hard over the year. I can not understand why. I was very hard working and be patient with my foreman. I noticed that many foremen do not have to do anything and sit on his chair and fun with their computer. The foreman caught me that I walk to the garbage bin. He said, " waste of your money when you walk". The project manager and Foreman are really strict to their employee at the site job. They do not care about my personal needs. Most Foreman did not very helpful. My opinion that they can not afford pays me. They wanted cheap to pay to who can work at NEL. NEL destroyed my life. They really hurt my feelings when I get layoff.
I noticed that some employee are not good to work at a site job. They do not follow the blueprint and do not know about the codebook.
Pros
Free lunch and gift card
Cons
Bad organization
good training but poor job security
2nd year Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 October 2018
Typical day at work was hit or miss depending on which job you get shuffled onto. Some days you'd work with slow productive teams, other job sites with average productive teams. Management was a bit of a mess at times but there were good efforts making up for it. Workplace culture was always a push to rush for deadlines. Some workers would hide the best company tools for themselves. Hardest part was working with a coworker with an attitude problem and ego. Most enjoyable part was accomplishing tough jobs and learning from them.
Pros
free lunches, good training
Cons
bad co workers, sudden lay offs
Low Salary, unpaid OT, Unpaid break and rush work
4th Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2018
Unpaid Force OT. Low salary, JM rate is a joke 29$.You will be surprised in some site first year apprentice is running the rough in. Most of the sites are rush work, management doesnt want to pay OT.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Low salary
middle of the road place to wok
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC21 August 2018
I worked with this company for 3 years. They had a lot of work, but the project managers didnt care about your personal needs. company hires too many employees for the job
Pros
lots of work
Cons
inconsistancy
Decent company to get your foot in the industry
APPRENTICE ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  BC27 June 2018
I worked for NEL for one year as an apprentice and learned a lot! They have many sites, each with its own unique challenges. NEL has (in my opinion) a high turn over rate for apprentices, while on site the majority of workers were 1st or 2nd year. After layoffs not many make it past second year in the company. If you do make it past that hurdle, however, raises are consistent and benefits are decent.
Good memories
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 April 2018
I began my apprenticeship at Nightingale 14 years ago working mainly in high-rises. I was taught to learn how to do things correctly, and then the speed would come. And it did. The work ethic I picked up working with Nightingale has helped me in my career to where I am now at a senior position in a hydro electric facility.

Although It's been years since I was there, I still get phone calls and texts from some of the people I worked with. I can't say I've met such great people at any other place I've worked.

If you show up every day and work hard, they keep you busy. I didn't have any layoffs for the four years I was there, and if you show initiative, there's plenty of room to move up in the company.
Not much to say...
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 July 2017
Constantly having upper management breathing down your neck makes it a little difficult to get the job done efficiently and in a timely manner. They also force overtime.
Pros
Free lunch every once and awhile. Great Christmas party.
Good Company
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 July 2017
It was a good company. But while I was there it was good I learned a lot and grew a lot in the field of Electrical. Moved on with a 2 week notice due to personal reasons
Good Place to work
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC3 April 2017
Started on finishing crew for my practicum. Wired in plugs and switches. Baseboard heaters and lighting, At the end of the day it was great dry work that I enjoyed.
good enviroment
worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2017
It was a good experience wasn't able to explore much into different types of electrical jobs. Although company staff was very good, environment was very positive.
Feels like family
Service Department (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 December 2016
Great company with a big future. They truly care about they staff. Just need to get more organized, and improve the internal communication. The company has a division that makes looks like two different organizations.
Pros
They care about their people
Cons
Need to improve the internal communication
stay away
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2016
the worst. really.
jman rate is $29 still to this day from atleast 2008. forget about learning anything if you are an apprentice. management is greedy and doesn't care about guys/girls in the field actually making them money.
truly the worst in the industry.
bridge by far is better.
low salery but fun workplace
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  richmond,bc10 August 2015
worked for this company for 4 years ..learn a lot..fun workplace.
They need to be more safety oriented and start paying competitive wages.good with job security.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
salary
good for pre apprentice students
Construction, Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  richmond,BC15 May 2015
long commute to and from high-rise site which not compensated for
learnt slab and the main points of a high rise build. learnt fire alarm and other useful tools.
Productive and educational workplace
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 September 2014
-7am start work with meeting with foreman whom will give you a workload for the day; by 11am quick lunch break, discuss task progress with foreman. 11:30 until 3:30/3pm, complete assignment or if finished, take the initiative to complete another task.

-Most Foreman are very helpful in that if you have any questions, ask them and they will take you through it step by step until you get it right; especially before you start a task.

-upper management focuses on timetables and quality results with an almost Darwinism outlook on performance. If you sit back in the shadows and not take initiative to perform tasks or do a horrible installation job or take the initiative to fixes others mistakes, they may add you to the list of next lay-off’s when projects die down with little money to pay their workforce. Yet if you show you will jump through any hoop to get the task done and be the first in line with a predatory attitude whilst still maintaining team spirit, then that is your ticket to job security within the company.

-work environment is more team-like than you think with an emphasis of helping co-workers when they need it and working as a cohesive unit.

-Hardest part of the job will be the work, which is also the most enjoyable part next to making lifelong friends with your co-workers.
Pros
very helpful staff that will teach you as you go
Cons
Semi Seasonal work with frequent lay-offs every two or so years
Good company to work for.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 September 2014
Good company to work for. Plenty of good workers with this crowd. Management were good and there if you needed anything. Co workers were great. Plenty of overtime when needed. Only downfall was that there was only one break per day.
Pros
Free pizza friday's
Cons
Bad organization
Inspiring, hard working, and goal orientated.
Service Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, Canada4 June 2014
A typical day can consist of just about anything, which makes everyday a very rewarding challenge to pursue. Everyone is extremely encouraging and positive. The amount of knowledge and education this company has put me through is very powerful. Although I do not have an electrical background, I offer many great customer service skills and ideas for this company to excel. I enjoy the people and work load, as I will not give up on any task until it is complete and done right.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nightingale Electrical. Our community is ready to answer.