Niagara Health System
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Working at Niagara Health System: Employee Reviews

Canada65 reviews

healthpatientstaffteamcareenvironmentlothard

I am grateful for my team

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great team. Shifts are long, and we are often short-staffed, so having a team you can count on is everything.

Pros

Job security

It was OK

It was a great place to work however every person that wasn't a nurse, psw, physician, etc, was treated horribly by them. We used to get yelled at constantly by nurses and no support was offered from management.

Insights into Niagara Health System

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Worked entire pandemic to be fired at the end

Worked the entire pandemic to be fired at the end because of the vaccine mandates. Nobody should have to lose their job over a medical choice they aren’t comfortable with. Especially after working the entire pandemic no vaccine, and being brushed to the curb once it’s convenient for them. Good job but they don’t care about you. You have to always be available for them and dedicate your life there because they’re always so short staffed so be prepared to always be there.

Clicky, stressful, no opportunity to grow.

Generally there are lots of friendly people around. Some units are clicky, if you are lucky and they like you, you will have a good time otherwise you will be frustrated. Have fun while it lasted.

Great team work with staff, but room for improvement

Mental health department. The team I have is great. Compassionate and competent. We work short quite frequently. I feel there is improvement to be made with staffing shortages (ensuring shifts are being called out for everyone) ie. filling shifts regardless if employee is in overtime. Sadly right now vacations are not all being approved due to the pandemic which makes it more stressful and can be hard to balance work/personal life. Sometimes there are ethical issues you run into almost daily (working short, ensuring patient safety and basic needs are met). not having the time to give client-centred therapy they need due to staffing ratios.There are good learning opportunities, staff is always willing to teach and share info, I enjoy feeling like you actually helped a patient learn coping strategies or provided client-centred information on their illness/es when appropriate

Pros

paid break if missed paid sick time unionized workload forms paid vacation

Cons

for RPNs a mix of 8hrs, 12hrs no unit rotation like RNs lack of conflict resolution lack of schedule reviews

Awful and toxic work place

As a porter we have terrible management. Emails never get responded too. Manager never supports staff. We have no communication or follow up on new protocols. Management sweeps issues under the rug. They don't listen to their staff. Ideas and suggestions aren't welcome. Environment is extremely toxic and nothing gets done about it. Management come up with protocols without letting us know. They don't ask us for input it's their way or the highway.

Pros

Pay isn't terrible and flexible hours.

Cons

Bad management

I love my job. Staff have always been welcoming and supportive

I love my job. Staff have always been welcoming and supportive in all the departments I have worked in. You need to become a team player to succeed as it takes a village to care for the sick. You can't do it alone.

Pros

Great coworkers and good managers make the job easier and less stressful.

Cons

stressful due to the pandemic and is tiring, wage gaps are wide between staff doing the exact same jobs

Stayed to long at the party

Due to Covid I was redeployed to a different department. Considering it was called a team, there wasn't much teamwork. Management showed much favouritism to those they liked regardless of the fact that the job was not being done properly.

Shift worker

The staff are not given the autonomy or flexibility that the profession demands. Management are kind and overall very good to work for. The workload is high.

Poor support from management

Niagara Health does not support its nurses well. They are more interested in bed flow and $$. Some units work collaboratively while others dont. The work with the patients is rewarding

Okay place to work

Fast paced, no workplace culture noted. Hardest part of the job was that the environment was not friendly. I felt that my work was constantly policed.

Great collaborative multi disciplinary team

Staff across all disciplines are knowledgable and work together for all our patients. Staff are very friendly and helpful. I have worked at four of the sites within the Niagara Health System and all sites are equally welcoming and work hard towards patient centred care.

Good Place to Volunteer

Volunteers are highly valued by all staff members throughout the hospital!! The volunteer program is well organized and the coordinators are every helpful.

Satisfied

I am satisfied with my position at the niagara health I am just looking to broaden my horizons. There are things I am searching for that they dont offer.

Very fast paced

Team work environment, very fast pace, working with 20 plus people a shift. Need to be very focused on quality control. Always changing product, to meet patient needs

Pros

Goals of making patients have the best experience possible

Cons

Very demanding

Intimidated

I found clinical manager to be absolutely the best part about being there. Training however is very difficult as some staff seem to make it miserable and intimidating.

Internship

Was treated fairly by other ward clerks, but management seemed to not want me there/help me learn. Wasn't informed about Meditech training at first day and spent first semester being looked down on for not having it, even though I wasn't informed I needed it.

Great pay

Long hour shifts, managers come and go all the time. You like change this is your place to work. Your just a body not a person. But the wages are fair. Just saying.

Patient centered care, team environment

Working for NHS has been a very positive experience. We are all about patient centered care. The environment is very positive and everyone works as a team.

Provided opportunities for increased knowledge and advancement.

This company worked well for the 20 years I worked there. I was always learning and advancing in my work place. Recently retired to move to the warmth of Florida.

Dysfunctional Mess

Scheduling is a nightmare, HR treats staff viciously, staff revel in politics and cliques, incompetence and indifference is rampant. Patients beware.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Niagara Health System. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement