Niagara Health System
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Working at Niagara Health System: Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews

healthpatientstaffteamcareenvironmentlothard

very fast paced place to work

Always on your toes here. Busy days make the shift fly by. There is always something to do and something new to learn on the job. Patient care is number one. A lot of personalities mingled together can be a bit intimidating. Overall a great place to work

One of the most excellent places to work with plenty of opportunities to advance within your scope of practice

As employed with the NHS from 1998 I found nothing but Extreme solid foundation in which I could learn not only by my colleagues who are exceptional but also with all the opportunities that the NHS provides.Although I must admit the perioperative suite was by far the most rewarding training plus mentoring you could possibly get. I love and miss all my colleagues. As I've mentioned below I cannot say enough there are no words to describe how amazing it is and was working alongside my colleagues.

Pros

Exceptional by all colleagues and others, encouragement to excel within your scope of practice, hours of work, pay was excellent, great benefits, great pension plan

Cons

None to speak of.

Insights into Niagara Health System

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Rewarding work, opportunity to work many hours

The workplace culture has been wonderful on my floor, I always feel supported. The work is physically and mentally challenging but very rewarding. I've enjoyed working as a team with highly skilled medical professionals, and there have been so many opportunities to learn new skills.

Pros

Meaningful Work

Cons

Long Hours

Great place to work. Benefits and good pay. People are nice to work with. I was only temporary but was hoping for full time. You get breaks and bosses are good to work with.

Best msw job!!

Left child protection after almost 20 years-found my perfect fit in in-patient mental health!Love everything about this job-money is top rate, co-workers are great and management is so supportive! Best move ever!!

Great employer trying their best in very challenging times

These last several years have been unprecedented in terms of challenge. We have struggled to stay on top and remain supportive to our community and to each other. It's easy to judge from the outside looking in, but when you're immersed in the centre of it, what we've been able to manage and continue to manage is rather incredible.

High stress, disorganized scheduling

Always work short and it’s so unsafe for everyone. Unable to safety care for patients. Scheduling is rude and disorganized. Management needs an overhaul, lack of support

Typical toxic government environment

If you aren’t part of the club, you are an outsider. Lots of people just hanging onto government pension. Luck plays a factor in good mentorship or finding colleagues who are respectful. They enjoy little change. It’s the traditional must be in the office culture for roles that don’t require it. Demand people “show” their faces during conference calls. Policy is only updated based on provincial mandates, otherwise little diversity and even less inclusion.

Not much advancement, management can do better

Managers don't care and have favoritism.No advancement. Have to cover other departments if they call in sick. Overall not good for your mental health.

I am grateful for my team

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great team. Shifts are long, and we are often short-staffed, so having a team you can count on is everything.

Pros

Job security

It was OK

It was a great place to work however every person that wasn't a nurse, psw, physician, etc, was treated horribly by them. We used to get yelled at constantly by nurses and no support was offered from management.

Worked entire pandemic to be fired at the end

Worked the entire pandemic to be fired at the end because of the vaccine mandates. Nobody should have to lose their job over a medical choice they aren’t comfortable with. Especially after working the entire pandemic no vaccine, and being brushed to the curb once it’s convenient for them. Good job but they don’t care about you. You have to always be available for them and dedicate your life there because they’re always so short staffed so be prepared to always be there.

Clicky, stressful, no opportunity to grow.

Generally there are lots of friendly people around. Some units are clicky, if you are lucky and they like you, you will have a good time otherwise you will be frustrated. Have fun while it lasted.

Great team work with staff, but room for improvement

Mental health department. The team I have is great. Compassionate and competent. We work short quite frequently. I feel there is improvement to be made with staffing shortages (ensuring shifts are being called out for everyone) ie. filling shifts regardless if employee is in overtime. Sadly right now vacations are not all being approved due to the pandemic which makes it more stressful and can be hard to balance work/personal life. Sometimes there are ethical issues you run into almost daily (working short, ensuring patient safety and basic needs are met). not having the time to give client-centred therapy they need due to staffing ratios.There are good learning opportunities, staff is always willing to teach and share info, I enjoy feeling like you actually helped a patient learn coping strategies or provided client-centred information on their illness/es when appropriate

Pros

paid break if missed paid sick time unionized workload forms paid vacation

Cons

for RPNs a mix of 8hrs, 12hrs no unit rotation like RNs lack of conflict resolution lack of schedule reviews

Awful and toxic work place

As a porter we have terrible management. Emails never get responded too. Manager never supports staff. We have no communication or follow up on new protocols. Management sweeps issues under the rug. They don't listen to their staff. Ideas and suggestions aren't welcome. Environment is extremely toxic and nothing gets done about it. Management come up with protocols without letting us know. They don't ask us for input it's their way or the highway.

Pros

Pay isn't terrible and flexible hours.

Cons

Bad management

I love my job. Staff have always been welcoming and supportive

I love my job. Staff have always been welcoming and supportive in all the departments I have worked in. You need to become a team player to succeed as it takes a village to care for the sick. You can't do it alone.

Pros

Great coworkers and good managers make the job easier and less stressful.

Cons

stressful due to the pandemic and is tiring, wage gaps are wide between staff doing the exact same jobs

Stayed to long at the party

Due to Covid I was redeployed to a different department. Considering it was called a team, there wasn't much teamwork. Management showed much favouritism to those they liked regardless of the fact that the job was not being done properly.

Shift worker

The staff are not given the autonomy or flexibility that the profession demands. Management are kind and overall very good to work for. The workload is high.

Poor support from management

Niagara Health does not support its nurses well. They are more interested in bed flow and $$. Some units work collaboratively while others dont. The work with the patients is rewarding

Okay place to work

Fast paced, no workplace culture noted. Hardest part of the job was that the environment was not friendly. I felt that my work was constantly policed.

Great collaborative multi disciplinary team

Staff across all disciplines are knowledgable and work together for all our patients. Staff are very friendly and helpful. I have worked at four of the sites within the Niagara Health System and all sites are equally welcoming and work hard towards patient centred care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Niagara Health System. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement