Niagara Health System Employee Reviews

Preferred employer in Niagara Region
Charge Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON29 October 2018
Good Employer, good benefits and pension. As a large government type of organisation the environment is typically bureaucratic.

Prospective employees should be prepared to wait a long time to attain full-time status as many positions offered are part-time and casual part-time.

I have only held a position in the NHS as a unionised employee so I cannot comment upon management positions.

Depending upon where in the NHS you work, the workplace culture can vary widely.

In my own position the local manager is very decent and as a result the workplace culture is cooperative and positive.

Keep in mind the the NHS is a large organization with many different sites. Conditions of work and employee morale varies widely throughout as should be expected.
Pros
local management is very good
Cons
big organisation with typical large organisation problems
Very professional environment with great people.
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 September 2018
Very professional work place and good compensation. My only con about the NHS is that hire people PT and it could take years for the organization to transfer to Ft and receive medical benefits. One of my coworkers were there for 7 years before switching to FT.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
you start as part time and it can take years to be hired FT.
high turnover for a reason
RN (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 August 2018
High turnover on some of the floors makes management issues apparent. Not every floor is bad, may take a while to find a good one. Recommended to know your contract, and keep your union rep handy.
Pros
Patient care, use of skills, pays well
Cons
long hours, inflexible schedule, management issues, short staffing, dangerous workloads
mismanaged toxic workplace, understaffed and overworked
nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 January 2019
Here for a few years and staff is overworked, understaffed putting nursing license at risk. Staff about 1/2 is great to work with but most are in same situation and helps as team will help with your workload. Most doctors are great to be with and work with. If you have management issues, discrepancy, bullied or are hurt your useless to them and they document everything in their favor even writing lies. High priced lawyers will do their best to make you give up if you have an issue then you are a target after that. Have a few staff who situation was so stressful they are no longer with us. This comment is accurate on; 25 July 2015 and 21 August 2018 comment reviews accurate. Don't trust most comments as ; "By far the best place I have ever worked - the teamwork is amazing' and " Very young staff currently, always looking for experienced people'??? This sounds like an AD not a review, really a 5? Writer must work an 8000-1600 Monday to Friday shift as most are not even a 4 at best. Upper management is ruthless and heartless and do not care about staff as easily replaced. There is high turnover for a reason Dr's included as we give all and when we need help we are thrown under the bus, just EVIL. This is an accurate representation of the true work environment for at least 2/3 of the staff. I fully expect 5 more comment left after mine averaging 4+ to compensate for the truth of my comments.
Pros
Good pension plan, helpful staff, nurses and doctors mostly.
Cons
management is terrible and non accountable for their actions putting blame on staff.
anon
Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON14 January 2019
my time with this organization varied depending on the leadership. Overall, amazing people doing amazing work and saving lives everyday. There is a range of
excellent hospital to volunteer where you get the best experience into the field while giving back to the community.
Volunteer Member (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 September 2018
Management is great. friendly coworkers and great atmosphere. Contribution is very significant no matter how small it may be. Overall, just the perfect place to volunteer.
Excellent Workplace
Emergency Room Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 December 2018
Very welcoming and easy to learn on the job, friendly staff and supervisors. The environment while quite busy was a supportive one where questions were always encouraged
Very Fulfilling Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON19 July 2018
Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with patients. I formed a lot of positive relationships with patients, staff, and visitors. Learned a lot from the nurses and will never forget each valuable lesson they taught me.
Pros
Seeing patients happy and being acknowledged for your service
Exceptional team to work with and a very creative workplace.
Corporate Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 June 2018
I helped create communications plans with the team. Wrote and edited internal communications, external press releases, social media posts and an article for Niagara Health Weekly. Assisted with creating communications materials and activities that help increase employee engagement. Niagara Health is an exceptional team to work with, and a very creative workplace.
Nice place to work
RPN (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON27 February 2018
Great team to work with and I am happy to be a part of the team. Some things needs to be improve but I think the main this was they provided as much care to the patience.
Great work environment and Management
Infection Control Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON24 August 2017
I am proud to work at Niagara Health! I work with an amazing team, management is great, and my job here provides me with a healthy work-life balance.

Niagara Health holds a special place in my heart as well. I was born within one of the Hospital sites and spent a lot of time as an inpatient there due to chronic asthma as a child. I always received exemplary care when treated here.

I would recommend Niagara Health as an employer to anyone that would be interested in joining the team.
Pros
Clean, happy and healthy work environment with lots of room for growth, Magnificent team of multidisciplinary Healthcare professionals
Cons
Some of the older sites are dated which can be challenging, but that will change within the next 7 years when the new Hospital is built
Great place to work with a decent wage
PSW (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON27 January 2018
I love working st the Niagara health system because of the ability to move around in the company. They offer a variety of jobs within my skill level with various shift to fit in with my schedule
My first real job, awesome people awesome workplace
Registered Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 January 2018
I moved up to St. Catharines from Windsor, Ontario. The Niagara area is beautiful and similar to Windsor, being so close to the US boarder. The hospital was brand new when I moved up here which was awesome. My managers have been wonderful overall and my coworkers are incredible.
Pros
New Building, Great Staff, Fair Pay
Cons
Far from my home of Windsor
Great place to work if your not interested in career advancement
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 December 2016
Competitive wages, hard working nurses, difficult to advance career, don't hire from inside for management/specialty positions. Always hiring new nurses, high turn over rates.
Pros
Great team of nurses
Cons
Shift work
Great place to work , lots of room for movement. Lots of education, great friendships and team atmosphere
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON16 October 2017
Nurses are over worked but remain helpful and friendly. The doctors (again over worked) are efficient and knowledgeable and take the time to listen.
The building and faculties are showing their age, but for the most part seem clean and maintained. Wait times are average but that is always subject to the severity of your emergency.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Older Building
Every day was unique to itself. Always plenty to do to keep employees busy.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON12 November 2013
A very interesting and enjoyable position. Working daily with the Director and Clinical Managers assisting with their scheduling of appointments and arranging meeting times, locations and minutes. Distributing any business paperwork affiliated with meetings and contacting all participants via email, calendar outlook, telephone or fax. Project administration and preparation was an important duty in this position and it included working closely with department members communicating any information needed.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Long Hours
Good
Therapeutic Recreation Intern (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON17 July 2017
This is a great opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in a field that is new to me. I enjoy learning new techniques and utilizing the skills that I've gained in my education.
good place to work at with good people
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 November 2015
NHS is a good place that I worked at with good management and good workers. I learned a lot and got more confident working with IVs, Chemo preparations etc. I love working with mixtures IV or creams, ointments etc.
Pros
free lunches, study meeteings
Cons
no cons
Professional and enjoyable to work for
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON30 July 2015
Great staff and management. A lot of resources, fun and enjoyable. Room to grow. Clean environment. Great support systems. Really enjoy working within NHS
continued success for over 20 yrs
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 February 2013
Education workshops continuous, great relationship with collegues and management...I have learned that every individual has a whole different outlook on the Health Sytem...Hardest part of my job is to collaborate with more than one family member at a time as they want the answers now about condition and outcome...Most enjoyable is to leave work with the satisfaction of 100% of my professional was given to all my patients, family members and friends...
Pros
inspirational
Cons
rpn's opportunities to move forward in next level as they require rn certification