NIAGARA COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Great faculty! Passive aggressive management!!
Part-Time Contract Instructor (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON2 April 2018
As a part-time, contract instructor there is no job security.

Your hourly rate is dependent on how many hours you are teaching. Typically one class is 3 teaching hours. So, you only get paid for 3 hours, regardless of how much time you invest in preparation and grading. It is entirely possible that:
-you'll get paid less than minimum wage when you factor in preparation and grading
-you won't know which classes you're teaching (and subsequently the number of hours you'll be paid for aka "living wage"??) until days before the semester starts

This is not an acceptable way to treat adults who have mortgages to pay, etc... Nor is it even remotely professional, given that good instructors take their work (preparation, teaching and grading) seriously.

Other than passive aggressive management, it was a rewarding place to work. I loved the students and the challenge of teaching. I was also very grateful for how supportive the faculty/co-workers were.
Pros
Fulfilling experience, elgible for benefits depending on number of teaching hours given
Cons
Passive agressive management and no job security
A wonderful workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON24 February 2018
Niagara College is a great place to work because of the convenience based on on-campus job. Besides, it is a place where you can gain so much fun and valuable experience because you meet new people daily with great stories.
Great college
Environmental Technician / Grounds Keep (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON8 December 2017
Loved working with the college in environmental initiatives. The work was good and the people were awesome. Very flexible around my college schedule which was a bonus !
Niagara College
Professor, Human Resources (contract) (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON1 November 2017
Long hours and low pay
limited job security
difficult to get permanent positions - most jobs contract job
limited onboarding support
Rewarding job content
Professional development available
Pros
rewarding job content
Cons
job not secure
good place to teach
Full-Time Professor (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON30 October 2017
It was a good place to work, the other professors were a lot of fun to work with, the support staff was great. Administration was okay to deal with. Fun job.
busy
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 July 2017
Fun, being a resident advisor you get to make friends and meet so many different people when coming into college. It makes it easier to be known around the residence.
Swat Student
Swat Student ( Customer Service ) (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON23 June 2017
A typical day is waking up going to to work getting a coffee while everything started up, i always looked forward to students coming up and asking for help, especially when it came to new programs and upgrades as i could show them how to do the upgrades for when they came up again
Pros
Friendly Enviroments
High Energy environment
Instructor (CP/CPA Programs) (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON16 May 2017
Exciting and rewarding environment to work in.
Wonderful young energy in a learning environment.
Very supportive working and learning environment.
Enjoy being a member of the Database Curriculum Committee.
Pros
Exciting environment
Cons
Long Work Hours
Amazing school
Student (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON3 April 2017
Great school!!! Everyone here is soooooooo nice, i recommend this college over any college in the country! They are very diverse and friendly and its just amazing.
I recommend Niagara College for students
Student Campus Patrol Watch (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON4 March 2017
Police Foundations program taught me a lot of information regarding law and prepared me for my future. I recommend Niagara College Welland campus for all students.
Good Experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 January 2017
Great place to start if trying to get into any law enforcement positions. Friendly environment and not difficult to pick up quickly. Great staff and lots of support.
Wonderful College
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON4 January 2017
I did a co-op placement here as part of my program. I enjoyed the people, I learned a lot of job skills and got the necessary experience required to get my foot in the door. It was a good, positive experience.
Peer Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON16 December 2016
This job is a great job to start off with if what you would like to do is teach. Beware of some students that just sign up for tutoring so the tutor can provide all the answers though.
Good work culture
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON11 September 2016
Good place to work and grow, with excellent natural beauty. Work culture was decent, my job was mainly centered towards individual aspect. Management could be better.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON4 May 2016
Taught students courses and information to be success in college. Help students achieve successful grades and progress throughout the year
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Not enough hours
Learned a ton
ITS Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON4 May 2016
My program at Niagara was one of the hardest Niagara offers. I learned about the in and outs of networks and the future of electronics. Can't wait to apply these skills
not a good place for teaching!
Professor : Culinary Innovation & Food Technolog (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON1 March 2016
Very bad work culture! the Food and Wine Institute was definitely not an academic environment. It was more of cooperation. program char of that time was pressuring to influence the students marks and pass or fails instead of encouraging better supports.
not a right fit
User Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Welland Campus10 February 2016
After working in the private sector for 30 years, going to the educational sector was a culture shock. The fit wasn't right for me so I took a early retirement.
Pros
good hours. lots of vacation time
Cons
difficult to get motivated.
great experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON29 October 2015
excellent experience at the college. learnt a lot from the college, loved studying there. made lots of friends and gained much knowledge there . studied there 2 years and it benefited a lot. cooperative and intelligent teachers, helped in every difficulty.
Pros
teaching place
Cons
burden of assignments
Great place to work, with great people
Athletic Centre Attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON13 October 2015
Working with Niagara college was one of the most enjoyable jobs i have had. Would love to work there again. I learned a lot about about fitness and healthy living