Niagara Catholic District School Board

Niagara Catholic District School Board Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
Amazing Co Workers, tough work environment but fantastic if you do not mind fast pace with large work load. Structured but high demands on all staff for out of work productivity.
I loved working for the Niagara Catholic District school board! I enjoyed working with the Students and other teachers in a variety of rolls throughout the years.
Benefits
I really enjoy my job. I would love more hours buy availability is limited at the moment. Training is extensive and taken very seriously. There is practical troubleshooting and testing at the end.
Constantly advertising for librarians but there is no opportunity for permanent work. Their libraries are mostly empty - you'll never get called. They don't replace staff that are off. Library Manager is awful. Tried it for a while and left for another opportunity. No respect or chance for real job.
At first I thought it was good but then they were only giving you 4 hours a day 2-3 times a week. Calling you last minute to work all over the region and threatened to fire you if you didn't answer or accept that job for that day
very disappointing, at first was great but over the years became hypocritical and found just going through the motions for a pay cheque, board needs to rethink the plan for the children.
It will take years n years of being a casual employee before you can get 8 hrs a day permanent. Even then u will have to go to 2 different schools, (each 4 hrs) 1 school to open at 6:30-7am till 11am then to the other school to close from 3-7pm. All shifts are split so u don't really have a life outside of working.
Pros
Above min mage
Cons
No life, split shifts, no accumulation of vacation pay.
Greats hours and people
Having to use your own money to fund lack of supplies
Pros
the people
Cons
summer on EI
An absolutely corrupt and sinking business. Very inconsiderate of their workers needs. Over worked and under appreciated. Management is corrupt. I was very disappointed to find out how the education business actually works.
Pros
Comfortable and professional working environment. Ensures safety and wellbeing of not only students but the staff as well, provided sufficient training for job.
They're okay. Unfortunately the length of time spent as a casual before entering a permanent union job is way too long. It seems like most people end up waiting anywhere from 4 to 6 years just to get a permanent position. Some of the schools are great to work at but others are down right awful. The summers off are great but it comes with the price of only living off of EI during those two months and it can make income very tight if you don't plan for it.

But yes, the biggest drawback here is going unacknowledged by senior management for many many years before eventually (hopefully) being able to become a permanent employee. I don't think I would recommend them if you can find an employer who will respect you, rather then let you continuously slide through the cracks.
Pros
Great hours, Summers off
Cons
Pay is subpar in today's job market, Takes too long to get permanent employment
Have no complaints about this employer, simply exploring my options to further my experiences and careers. Friendly respectable have nothing but praise.
Great place to work and grow as you meet and are challenged everyday by the wonderful students that come into the classroom everyday!!!
Lots of opportunities to meet and work with a wide range of wonderful staff!!
Pros
The students
Cons
There is none
A lot of variety. Ontario work place standards governed the culture. There was a lot of support at the schools as far as teamwork is concerned. Respect was very high.
The working with special need students is very rewarding and you see how they grow and that they meet their potential. Work 7.5 hours a day five days a week
Pros
watching student meet their potential
Cons
lack of hours
It was fun to work as a secretary for a language program even for only a month. I felt comfortable being around the teachers and kids and never for a second stressed about the job due to its simplicity. The only complain was the long drive, over 40km away from my home.
over the 12 years I worked at sherkston shores, I learned a lot about electricity, plumbing, construction, wood working, driving heavy equipment, cleaning and customer service. Its a great starting place to work when you are young and you get to work outside on the beach and make great relationships with the home owners.
It's ok for a part-time job, but it is impossible to get full-time unless you are a department manager.

Because of the union, it's impossible to grab a ton of extra shifts by showing initiative and a good work ethic.

Depending on the department, you are only given a few hours a week when starting out so that you can pay the union dues.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Retail, poor pay, no full-time
Love my job however it is a 10 month position and I am looking for a 12 month position. My co-workers are a delight to work with. If the opportunity is right I would relocate.

My current job consists of various duties including working closely with students, management, superintendents of education, principals, and the Ministry of Education on various projects and reports. My workday is different each and every day, full of challenges and accomplishments which make it the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great staff as well as great team work!
Cons
Only a ten month position
fair friendly and nice facilities..staff are great. Welcoming and work as a team for the best outcome for the children in our classes
Pros
nutritious food program
Cons
cant think of any
I love what I do, only wish I could create programs to help some needy students!
Pros
spirit
Cons
6 week contracts