Niagara Catholic District School Board

Niagara Catholic District School Board Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews

workstudentworkingstaffgreatdayyearhour

Great Place to Work

Amazing Co Workers, tough work environment but fantastic if you do not mind fast pace with large work load. Structured but high demands on all staff for out of work productivity.

Schools are cut-throat places of work, opposite of what is being expected from students. Not what you see at the open houses.

The administration is only worried about themselves, not about students. Lots of money is available for administrators but not teachers and students.Too many special favours for friends and family of admin. Students are treated decently if they are friends with the principal.

Pros

A few super, personable teachers.

Cons

Lots of backstabbing between teachers.

Insights into Niagara Catholic District School Board

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Productive and fun place to work

It was one of the best work experiences I’ve had. Amazing support. Amazing staff and management. Overall an amazing place to work. To bad it wasn’t full time.

Pros

Amazing staff to work with

Cons

No guarantee hours and no benefits

Not a bad summer job expiernce

Worked here for a summer job for a couple of years. Was a pretty good overall experience. Never had a problem with any manager or higher-up, Everyone was always nice to me and would let me take a day off if I was feeling sick.

Pros

Fun relaxed work enviroment.

Cons

Job was tedious

Great place to work.

I enjoy working for the Niagara Catholic District School Board. So far I have enjoyed working with a of the people that I have come in contact with. The pay is fairly good especially for being part time. The organization itself is wonderful. I have of been working for them for about 4 months and I had an injury at work and everyone who I have been in contact with from the board has been incredibly helpful and caring.

Pros

Great caring staff

Great School Board to work for!

I loved working for the Niagara Catholic District school board! I enjoyed working with the Students and other teachers in a variety of rolls throughout the years.

Benefits

Don't Bother Working as a Casual in a Library

Constantly advertising for librarians but there is no opportunity for permanent work. Their libraries are mostly empty - you'll never get called. They don't replace staff that are off. Library Manager is awful. Tried it for a while and left for another opportunity. No respect or chance for real job.

Not a good place

At first I thought it was good but then they were only giving you 4 hours a day 2-3 times a week. Calling you last minute to work all over the region and threatened to fire you if you didn't answer or accept that job for that day

Not what i expected

very disappointing, at first was great but over the years became hypocritical and found just going through the motions for a pay cheque, board needs to rethink the plan for the children.

4 hr shifts

It will take years n years of being a casual employee before you can get 8 hrs a day permanent. Even then u will have to go to 2 different schools, (each 4 hrs) 1 school to open at 6:30-7am till 11am then to the other school to close from 3-7pm. All shifts are split so u don't really have a life outside of working.

Pros

Above min mage

Cons

No life, split shifts, no accumulation of vacation pay.

Greats hours and people Having to use your own money to fund lack of supplies

Pros

the people

Cons

summer on EI

Sinking ship

An absolutely corrupt and sinking business. Very inconsiderate of their workers needs. Over worked and under appreciated. Management is corrupt. I was very disappointed to find out how the education business actually works.

Great Employer

Comfortable and professional working environment. Ensures safety and wellbeing of not only students but the staff as well, provided sufficient training for job.

They're Ok.

They're okay. Unfortunately the length of time spent as a casual before entering a permanent union job is way too long. It seems like most people end up waiting anywhere from 4 to 6 years just to get a permanent position. Some of the schools are great to work at but others are down right awful. The summers off are great but it comes with the price of only living off of EI during those two months and it can make income very tight if you don't plan for it. But yes, the biggest drawback here is going unacknowledged by senior management for many many years before eventually (hopefully) being able to become a permanent employee. I don't think I would recommend them if you can find an employer who will respect you, rather then let you continuously slide through the cracks.

Pros

Great hours, Summers off

Cons

Pay is subpar in today's job market, Takes too long to get permanent employment

Great Place to Work

Have no complaints about this employer, simply exploring my options to further my experiences and careers. Friendly respectable have nothing but praise.

Great Classrooms, Great Kids!!

Great place to work and grow as you meet and are challenged everyday by the wonderful students that come into the classroom everyday!!! Lots of opportunities to meet and work with a wide range of wonderful staff!!

Pros

The students

Cons

There is none

Educational Consultant

A lot of variety. Ontario work place standards governed the culture. There was a lot of support at the schools as far as teamwork is concerned. Respect was very high.

Educational Assistant

The working with special need students is very rewarding and you see how they grow and that they meet their potential. Work 7.5 hours a day five days a week

Pros

watching student meet their potential

Cons

lack of hours

Great experience

It was fun to work as a secretary for a language program even for only a month. I felt comfortable being around the teachers and kids and never for a second stressed about the job due to its simplicity. The only complain was the long drive, over 40km away from my home.

maintence teaches you a lot

over the 12 years I worked at sherkston shores, I learned a lot about electricity, plumbing, construction, wood working, driving heavy equipment, cleaning and customer service. Its a great starting place to work when you are young and you get to work outside on the beach and make great relationships with the home owners.

Ok place for a part-time job, impossible to get full-time

It's ok for a part-time job, but it is impossible to get full-time unless you are a department manager. Because of the union, it's impossible to grab a ton of extra shifts by showing initiative and a good work ethic. Depending on the department, you are only given a few hours a week when starting out so that you can pay the union dues.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Retail, poor pay, no full-time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Niagara Catholic District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement