Next Door Photos

Next Door Photos Employee Reviews

Severe Underpayment

The company severely underpays their photographers. They photographers use mostly their own equipment, but are paid only fractions of what the clients are being charged. They are also not fairly compensated for their mileage especially considering gas prices and wear and tear on their cars.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Long Days, No breaks, Terrible compensation

Great job for a creative freelancer.

A typical workday consists of a variety of media shoots in the real estate world. Anything from photos to videos or even 3D modeling. They are flexible with hours and is a great job for any freelance creative. Though there are some slow weeks, it allows you to allocate that time for other freelance work you may have.

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great leadership

Cons

Can be slow workload at times

Actions speak louder than words

Typical day: Wait for jobs to get assigned to you usually no more than 12 to 24 hours ahead of time. Go to listing. Shoot listing. Upload photos and/or video to dropbox. You are not an "employee". But they like to think you are. You are subcontracted. I was called "full time" for a bit. Media pros are not full time no matter how much they say you are. They are more concerned with pinching pennies and making pay cuts than taking care of their "employees". You will not receive raises, you will not receive benefits, you will not receive PTO as a "Media Pro". You are not an employee. If anything you will get paid less over time. If you decide to work for them take everything they say with a grain of salt. Lots will be said but very little will be followed up on. Management is all over the place. No consistency. They will talk about other employees behind their back. At least mine did. Be prepared for management to play favorites. Seniority does not exist and they don't care about your loyalty. Even though you have to sign a 2 year non-compete agreement. If it's slow and you're hardly getting work, throw shooting other real estate photography outside of NDP out the window. If you plan on getting trained up and leaving forget about it. This job is more designed for kids out of high school or college students looking for something to do. You've been warned.

Pros

Freedom to work when you want. It's good when it's busy.

Cons

Management. Although it varies from territory to territory.

Flexible hours

A typical day at work would be driving to the assigned houses, meeting agents, photographing the house. Then converting to DNG and uploading to Dropbox. I learned how to shoot houses, which I've never done before. It is a good skill to have.

Terrible work experience!!! Find a better more fair company....

Absolutely unorganized, horrible communication, and they will try and swindle you out of every penny you make for them! With them -you have to fight to get your mileage, fight to get your agreed upon hourly rate- it's a joke. Hands down one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. Training took about a week- unpaid- it was disaster from the start. I trained with one manager, then another photographer said forget everything I learned, we're doing the photos another way- again- severe lack of trust, communication, experience, and organization. Two days after I was hired the regional manager quit abruptly. About 4 months after I started, the other regional manger abandoned his post and no one contacted me about it. I had to do my own research into why I wasn't getting work from them anymore.

My favorite company to ever work with.

Next Door photos is a regional real estate and (depending on your regions manager) occasional event media solutions company. They provide stills, video walkthrough, drone; and Matterport. Depending on the demand, and size of the region, you can expect to have anywhere between 1-4 shoots or more in a day. While most all of the assignments you will receive are a one man job, communication with teammates and managers is only a text away. The company seems to honestly care about their employees, even though you are only contracted. The location that I was in would have monthly get togethers, where we’d all catch up on both business and life. On top of that, once a month we’d have a one on one meeting over either a lunch or drink with the manager. NDP’s editing team is a Malaysian editing group who hires women at risk or recovered from trafficking. This works in two ways. Alongside providing jobs for those in need, it also expedites assignments. While we here in the US are asleep, they edit all of the days shoots. By the time we wake up in the morning, the clients have their media ready for upload. NDP has a basic principle- service before self. Never in the entirety of my time working with them did I see anything but. Overall one of the kindest and forward thinking companies I have ever known.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next Door Photos. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement