Newfoundland Chocolate Company

Newfoundland Chocolate Company Management reviews

Canada41 reviews
Work/life balance is non-existent when busy. Lower staff treated poorly, public calling out and insults at times. Way underpaid for what is expected. Extremely unhappy employees.
Pros
Lots of samples
Cons
Overworked & underpaid
This company is owned by a very nice man who took the time to meet and converse with me whilst working. The management was incredible and very considerate when doing scheduling. They made sure I had every volleyball tournament off. I was not short on hours and always had room to move up. Overall the best first job I could have ever asked for.
Im not sure where to start with this place. Upper management doesnt exist in a crisis, save for a select few. The owners can be really nice, but they can also be extremely back stabbing. The financial controller is probably one of the rudest, most unprofessional person I've had the displeasure of meeting. Theres an aura of "I'm better than you" floating around and it's very toxic. 10/10 will not work here again.
Pros
Finding another job...
Cons
Unprofessionals acting professional
Been a manger for many years at various other companies, but this one has to be the worst. They basically had me come in and clean up the mess, hire new staff ( because all the old staff left ) For the first week I had little to no stock, ( what store doesn't have stock?) worst upper management, no systems in place, no organization. any issues I had would be ignored, I had zero support. PLEASE PLEASE do not waste your valuable time!
This company is not worth working for. The upper management does little to nothing to help the stores in NS. there is very little hope to advance in this company, rather than promote workers they will gradually add more and more to people’s plates without any increase in pay. Upper management does not communicate with the NS teams at all. More than that they will flat out disrespect the people working in the NS stores. When people have finally reached their limits and quit management will try to persuade them into staying (usually just with an increase in pay that is negligible when you factor in transportation costs). More than that they once called a meeting on a holiday in which they only taught us basic retail training when everyone in attendance had been there for over a year, and they didn’t actually update us on any company wide changes. The pay is minimum wage, which would normally be fine, but when retail associates are the ones making sure that the store opens, closes, cash is balanced, all shifts are covered, there is enough product in store, and the store functions smoothly on a day to day basis it is extremely low. The company cares more about customer reviews than employee concerns/reviews. Rather than try to fix the underlying issues mentioned by both previous and current employees the company will only focus on five star reviews. Work/life balance is not possible at any level working with the company especially at the retail level. Because we had not had any new hires in months at one point it was the same three people on a constant six day rotation. - more...
Typical small business, the management wants too much from their workers but can't afford to pay them adequately. I worked there for over a year with a promotion being dangled in front of me the whole time, yet I never got it. Many people quit or were fired (some of them were excellent workers) and instead of hiring new people they would distribute the work among the remaining staff. It got to a point where the stress was not manageable and the pay was far too low to compensate.
Pros
chocolate
Cons
no positive reinforcement
My entire experience at The Newfoundland Chocolate Company has been great. I made great relationships with all the staff, including management, and owners! I worked a great schedule, mainly Monday to Friday 830 to 5. Some days we were required to put in overtime or work a day on the weekend. But when we did, we were given thanks straight from the top for a job well done! I sadly had some personal things that required me to leave the company. I was treated with nothing but respect and told they would have me back when my personal woes cleared up! This is a family run company that truly treated me like family! I couldn't have asked for a better place to work or people to work for!!
Pros
Treated with respect
Cons
Free Chocolate is hard on the waistline
During my time at NCC, I learned two things. One: There is a total and complete disconnect between all levels of the company. Direction is a farce. Whether it is retail, chocolatiers, managers or upper level staff, nobody really knows what anyone else is doing and the phrase "well this person didn't do what they were supposed to" is the cop out for almost everything. It's always someone else's fault. Two: Upper management are totally content to use you and throw you away. You are there for a reason and it is not because you are valuable or important to the company. It is because you have something they want, and once you do what they have expected of you, you are gone. Your title does not matter, and your weeks, months or years of service mean nothing. The only positive experience I had while working there was the people I met. However, most of them have also been fired or quit, save for one or two. If you aren't interested in being insulted, confused on a daily basis, blamed for an immeasurable amount of problems or blindsided, don't work here. Swimming with sharks with an open wound would be more of a positive experience than employment at the Newfoundland Chocolate Company.
Pros
The people you meet, free chocolate.
Cons
Working at the Newfoundland Chocolate Company
I would highly recommend avoiding this company. The image that they portray and how the company actually runs are completely different. When I first started at Newfoundland Chocolate Company I was so happy because I loved working for a locally owned company, and the team were extremely friendly and overall nice people. The longer I worked there, I noticed a major divide between the management and employees. Management never really came down on the floor at all and would always be implementing different changes 24/7 that you would have to figure out on your own. On top of that, managers never really got trained and were given way too many tasks for one person to successfully accomplish so they were always coming and going. Overall the company has extremely high turnover, they fire people on biased reasons, sometimes without even letting the employee themselves know that they've been let go. There were many instances when employees would just be taken off the schedule without warning, or people would be "laid off" due to medical reasons. Working in the food industry, every workplace I've ever worked for has had some form of food safety training and a "see something say something" policy about unsafe work conditions. If you went to your manager about a safety hazard, the majority of the time you would get in trouble for bringing it forward. They like to string their employees along, talking about room to grow and move up within the company which is completely untrue. If you do plan on taking a job here, have a backup plan because thinking that you can work here in the - more...
Pros
The friends you'll make are great
Cons
They will exploit you for all it's worth
The only good thing about this job was the staff I worked with. Other than that, it was absolutely horrid. The owners will never remember your name, and honestly treat you like garbage on your shoe. Please don’t work here, it’ll only cause sadness.
Pros
The friends I made.
Cons
The terrible management/owners
A weird little cult of personality. People are worked to the bone and given poor wages for it. Avoid working for this company at all costs. They are not to be trusted
Cons
Cruel management, chaotic work places, unfair people
What started as a nice job due to the work itself and good coworkers very quickly turned into a nightmare of negativity due to upper leadership. The work (making chocolate) was very enjoyable until leadership from NFLD became more involved with day to day operations. Strict and unachievable standards were put into place, and absolutely no training was offered to help meet standards. Opportunity for advancement was always made to seem like a possibility, but when attempts were made to have dialogue about it, everything was vague. When opportunities arose, no one was ever deemed qualified enough. On multiple occasions talks with management lead to employee breakdowns. Crying in the back was fairly common. If you ever needed to get in touch with head office for anything, even payroll related issues, it was very difficult and near impossible. It felt like if we needed help from head office, they weren't there. But they were always available to criticize our work. CEO and upper management put on acts of kindness around customers but are cold and sometimes rude/mean to employees.
Pros
Chocolate!
Cons
No advancement opportunity, no training, bad company culture, terrible management
This place may have been one of the worst places I have worked. The people I worked with? Great! The ability to make chocolate? Great! The atmosphere, direction, support and general engagement from senior management out of NL? Awful. They built three stores within 20 mins of each other within a full year of operation and then wondered why the original store (Mic Mac) never made the same amount of sales. Making chocolate was great but the expectations to do that, provide customer service and be an over the top enthusiastic person providing the "Newfoundland Experience" was too high given that most of us were being provided minimum wage. The first year the manager was never there (whether intentioned or not) so eventually the running of the store fell to the team who worked together to make sure we had chocolate and had the things we needed. We didn't have a manager, we managed ourselves. Senior management from NL often pre-judged team members before getting to know them and on one or more occasions suggested and inferred that we had an "entitled" attitude to expect to be compensated fairly for extra work performed or staying late. If we said no, you were made to feel guilty for not helping out "the family". Visits from head office often resulted in team members being reprimanded for things out of their control (sales numbers) and left some team members in tears and not as engaged as they were before. For all the hype they spoke of relating to a "Newfoundland Experience" being welcoming, warm, engaging, understanding and family oriented they were not that way - more...
Pros
Team Members in NS, Making Chocolate
Cons
Senior Management, Disorganization
I literally keep wondering when this company will be out of business and closing its doors due to the impulsivity, unpreparedness, and bad decision-making of the owners of NCC. They will keep on (or even hire back) employees that are a drain on the company and create chaos and disorganization within the lower structure of the company, while good employees are treated horribly, and definitely not appreciated. The owners and senior management in Newfoundland constantly left out the stores in Nova Scotia, saying employees in NS didn't work as hard as NFLD and that's NS was struggling. They refused to see that it was because they do not have an adequate production facility in Newfoundland to keep up with demand around Christmas, or the fact that they cannibalized their own business by opening three stores in a 20 minute radius. While I worked here I was extremely stressed out, anxious and depressed, a lot of this stemming from being squeezed for labour, recipes, and extreme friendliness by the culture that is created at NCC. I was paid minimum wage to have to produce artisan chocolates, deep clean the kitchen facilities daily, including scrubbing mold in an unventilated area, and to have "above and beyond" customer service, and still the owners were never happy with their employees in Nova Scotia. Owners are not suited for this task of running a business, they eschew any good hires they make that can actually help them, and they cling to the "we're a family" notion only when it helps them (aka not having to pay employees for a shift because they guilt tripped them into - more...
Pros
good co-workers at individuals stores
Cons
Toxic senior management, low pay, disrespectful owners
The company is incredibly disorganized and has no structure or standard operating procedures. Head office consistently looks for ways to cut corners instead of operating in an efficient standardized manner. Managers who try their best to provide structure and organization are often not listened to or acknowledged from head office. The owners have completely different visions and do not communicate changes, plans or developments in a timely, effective or professional manner. Teams in NS are left grasping at straws to fill product spaces on the shelf not due to sales but lack of being sent product to actually sell resulting in a vicious cycle of no sales due to customers not being able to buy the product they’re looking for and then complaints are made from management about no sales. Management in NL comes in a whirlwind to NS with half planned, poorly executed revamp plans to get sales but end up alienating customers and team members alike in Nova Scotia instead of focusing on what works for the region they continually make the same mistakes. Expectations of performance and production are extremely high and the pay does not match it. Team members are expected to do a high level of detailed cleaning to adhere to health and safety standards in a food service facility which is great but the expectation to also do that, provide a high level of customer service and produce product all while short staffed in an effort to keep costs low sets up a very unrealistic expectation of all team members. They would do better to actually recognize and acknowledge teams and individuals - more...
Pros
Great local managers and team members.
Cons
Disrespect from Head Office
The job itself was fun, but the management was terrible. Seniority and ability mean absolutely nothing as it's a game of favourites, and those favourites are the people that are easily manipulated. All staff is overworked and underpaid for the work they do. Newer employees don't get trained properly and don't take pride in their work. The ONLY thing this place has going for it is free chocolate.
Pros
free chocolate
Cons
overworked and underpaid
The owners both have different motives and pin the workers in between these unreachable goals. The company is "built on family values" but I've never seen more disrespect in tension in any other job environment. If owned by different people, perhaps this company would stand a chance. The owners mismanagement trickles down to the management staff and from there a world of unproductivity and unrealised goals flourishes.
Cons
Unappreciation, disrespect, low pay, long hours, confusing and impossible to please owners.
They just don't care about their employees. Its a stressful job because they only accept perfection. A co-worker of mine got fired for wearing a sweater when it was cold because it was not the uniform.
This business has a lot of room to grow. Being a barista for their Signal Hill location had been lovely, despite its many flaws in management. I enjoyed meeting customers from around the world, and my coworkers were awesome. A typical day would include some light duty cleaning, gelato scooping, latte/ hot chocolate making, and conversing with the guests. Where to begin with management? There were times when there were no managers employed for my location, so the staff had to pick up the slack. It was around my first or second shift there, the manager quit on the spot after butting heads with the owners. This was not the last time we would see a manager go for this same reason. I have witnessed a long time employee in a position of authority use racial slurs openly in the workplace on multiple occasions. Training was neglected and inconsistent. Scheduling was always a headache. Some weeks I would find myself working 3 hours a day at their Avalon mall location, or 8 hours every day varying between their three locations. I would go without being scheduled any days off for weeks at a time because of poor communication between management at each store. My final problem with the company was how I had been treated by an individual in one of the highest positions of authority. Condensation was to be expected when communicating with this person. There were many times I would fight back tears, or go home emotionally drained because of the treatment. I did love so much of this job, and I do not regret working for them. I certainly hope to see NCC continue to - more...
Pros
free chocolate, great coworkers
The staff of NCC are incredible individuals and try their best to be positive and have fun while working a stressful and unrewarding job. This place is not ran well and is extremely unorganized. There is a weird obsession with job roles/titles l, which are constantly changing without anyone’s knowledge. This makes things very confusing for staff members. Overall, information is kept from employees which makes it very hard to do the job properly. Upper management is very hostile and manipulative. Lower paid employees are often dismissed and made to feel unimportant. The company tries to present itself as all inclusive but there have been many instances of discrimination and taking advantage of government programs.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Long hours, toxic work environment, unorganized