Newfoundland Chocolate Company

Newfoundland Chocolate Company Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
Work/life balance is non-existent when busy. Lower staff treated poorly, public calling out and insults at times. Way underpaid for what is expected. Extremely unhappy employees.
Pros
Lots of samples
Cons
Overworked & underpaid
When I first got hired at this job I was a retail staff member. I was working full time and began to learn the chocolatier life style. Learning this art was amazing. Mastering it was a challenge but worth it. I loved this job. I poured my heart into it. The people I've met. The fun I've had. All the things I've learned and the never ending shifts Was worth it.

I had lovely staff members. We consider our co-workers present or past our family. Even though the company closed its doors to Nova Scotia we still stay in each others lives. There was ups and BIG lows but everyone on the Nova Scotia team was supportive. Not everything was so sweet but bitter days happen and you move on. We loved our customers (shout out to lemon guy and pistachio lady. I'll miss you dearly.)

Brent & Christina the owners are great people and I wish them the best.

I do have a bit of advice to future hires:

Make sure you are heard. Make yourself loud. Laugh and learn.

When you get sick of chocolate takis are pretty good lol.

Go out with your co-workers and make everlasting bonds! LIVE

Be yourself and never let anyone tell you otherwise.
This company is owned by a very nice man who took the time to meet and converse with me whilst working. The management was incredible and very considerate when doing scheduling. They made sure I had every volleyball tournament off. I was not short on hours and always had room to move up. Overall the best first job I could have ever asked for.
I have been with Newfoundland Chocolate company for a little over a year and enjoying every minute of it! The environment here is welcoming and warm from the Owners and Head Office Staff to our individual store teams. I am proud to work for a family owned company that puts much pride and talent into their products.

Newfoundland Chocolate Company supports a work life balance. I feel completely supported in my role and was promoted in less than a year. I am compensated fairly and have good benefits.

This is a fun place to work! We have a solid team of talented people who efficiently work together in order to make the company a success. We care about our customers and our staff and welcome their feedback to make us better. I would highly recommend joining our team!
Im not sure where to start with this place. Upper management doesnt exist in a crisis, save for a select few. The owners can be really nice, but they can also be extremely back stabbing.
The financial controller is probably one of the rudest, most unprofessional person I've had the displeasure of meeting. Theres an aura of "I'm better than you" floating around and it's very toxic.

10/10 will not work here again.
Pros
Finding another job...
Cons
Unprofessionals acting professional
Love my job;! I work at the new store in the Torbay Road Mall with the Factory. We have a staff room with foozeball and video games, a TV and a couch to relax on our break. The people on my team are great and always there for you and super supportive, always making sure you're doing ok. Good thing GoodLife is in the same building because I love the chocolate.
Pros
Meeting people, chocolate
Cons
Early morning shifts
- I work with an amazing team
- I am paid fairly

- The owners value what I have to offer

- My work environment is positive and upbeat

- Every employee has a voice in this company
Been a manger for many years at various other companies, but this one has to be the worst. They basically had me come in and clean up the mess, hire new staff ( because all the old staff left ) For the first week I had little to no stock, ( what store doesn't have stock?) worst upper management, no systems in place, no organization.
any issues I had would be ignored, I had zero support. PLEASE PLEASE do not waste your valuable time!
This company is not worth working for. The upper management does little to nothing to help the stores in NS. there is very little hope to advance in this company, rather than promote workers they will gradually add more and more to people’s plates without any increase in pay.

Upper management does not communicate with the NS teams at all. More than that they will flat out disrespect the people working in the NS stores. When people have finally reached their limits and quit management will try to persuade them into staying (usually just with an increase in pay that is negligible when you factor in transportation costs). More than that they once called a meeting on a holiday in which they only taught us basic retail training when everyone in attendance had been there for over a year, and they didn’t actually update us on any company wide changes.

The pay is minimum wage, which would normally be fine, but when retail associates are the ones making sure that the store opens, closes, cash is balanced, all shifts are covered, there is enough product in store, and the store functions smoothly on a day to day basis it is extremely low.

The company cares more about customer reviews than employee concerns/reviews. Rather than try to fix the underlying issues mentioned by both previous and current employees the company will only focus on five star reviews.

Work/life balance is not possible at any level working with the company especially at the retail level. Because we had not had any new hires in months at one point it was the same three people on a constant six day rotation.
 - more...
Typical small business, the management wants too much from their workers but can't afford to pay them adequately. I worked there for over a year with a promotion being dangled in front of me the whole time, yet I never got it. Many people quit or were fired (some of them were excellent workers) and instead of hiring new people they would distribute the work among the remaining staff. It got to a point where the stress was not manageable and the pay was far too low to compensate.
Pros
chocolate
Cons
no positive reinforcement
I have been with the company almost a year, I work at the Downtown store. I like the atmosphere of being its own building and having tourists visit during the Summer. It can get really busy during holidays too. I love working Downtown but the parking is a hassle sometimes.
We get to do all kinds of things being at head office, but we are moving to a factory soon I work with a great bunch of people and it makes the day go fast were like a family here and I never got to experience that at my last job.
Pros
Meeting people, chocolate
Cons
Parking
My entire experience at The Newfoundland Chocolate Company has been great. I made great relationships with all the staff, including management, and owners! I worked a great schedule, mainly Monday to Friday 830 to 5. Some days we were required to put in overtime or work a day on the weekend. But when we did, we were given thanks straight from the top for a job well done!
I sadly had some personal things that required me to leave the company. I was treated with nothing but respect and told they would have me back when my personal woes cleared up!

This is a family run company that truly treated me like family! I couldn't have asked for a better place to work or people to work for!!
Pros
Treated with respect
Cons
Free Chocolate is hard on the waistline
I work at Signal Hill, it gets pretty busy with buses and tour groups so it can be pretty crazy at times. It's fun when you talk to all the tourists and visitors.
We sell chocolate and do sandwiches and coffees. It's pretty weather dependent up here on the Hill so some days are really slow if it's really rainy. Other than that lots of hours as it's busy for the most part.

I love the team I work with and we have a new Manager who spends a lot of time with us and doing training on espresso drinks and showing us all those things. I worked here last year on the Hill as well and got rehired and see quite a big difference which is great. Lots of positive changes and a new menu and the drinks I love.

We also get tips and it's a pretty great gig for Summer.
Pros
Chocolate discount
Cons
Cafe gets busy with buses
I packaged chocolates during the Christmas season and as such there was much to do. There were high daily goals to achieve, but the work wasn't too stressful. The coworkers were great and they made the repetitive tasks more enjoyable.
Pros
The staff is great to work with
Cons
It can get quite busy
During my time at NCC, I learned two things.

One: There is a total and complete disconnect between all levels of the company. Direction is a farce. Whether it is retail, chocolatiers, managers or upper level staff, nobody really knows what anyone else is doing and the phrase "well this person didn't do what they were supposed to" is the cop out for almost everything. It's always someone else's fault.

Two: Upper management are totally content to use you and throw you away. You are there for a reason and it is not because you are valuable or important to the company. It is because you have something they want, and once you do what they have expected of you, you are gone. Your title does not matter, and your weeks, months or years of service mean nothing.

The only positive experience I had while working there was the people I met. However, most of them have also been fired or quit, save for one or two.

If you aren't interested in being insulted, confused on a daily basis, blamed for an immeasurable amount of problems or blindsided, don't work here. Swimming with sharks with an open wound would be more of a positive experience than employment at the Newfoundland Chocolate Company.
Pros
The people you meet, free chocolate.
Cons
Working at the Newfoundland Chocolate Company
Frequently day staff would leave all the cleaning and none of the chocolate making to night staff.

Senior staff very tight-knit, rarely included newer staff in group events.

Not an inclusive workplace.
I would highly recommend avoiding this company. The image that they portray and how the company actually runs are completely different. When I first started at Newfoundland Chocolate Company I was so happy because I loved working for a locally owned company, and the team were extremely friendly and overall nice people. The longer I worked there, I noticed a major divide between the management and employees. Management never really came down on the floor at all and would always be implementing different changes 24/7 that you would have to figure out on your own. On top of that, managers never really got trained and were given way too many tasks for one person to successfully accomplish so they were always coming and going.

Overall the company has extremely high turnover, they fire people on biased reasons, sometimes without even letting the employee themselves know that they've been let go. There were many instances when employees would just be taken off the schedule without warning, or people would be "laid off" due to medical reasons.

Working in the food industry, every workplace I've ever worked for has had some form of food safety training and a "see something say something" policy about unsafe work conditions. If you went to your manager about a safety hazard, the majority of the time you would get in trouble for bringing it forward.

They like to string their employees along, talking about room to grow and move up within the company which is completely untrue. If you do plan on taking a job here, have a backup plan because thinking that you can work here in the
 - more...
Pros
The friends you'll make are great
Cons
They will exploit you for all it's worth
I have been with the company for almost 5 years. I started in Nova Scotia and have been given every opportunity to do all kinds of different things within the company. The skill set I have now compare to when I started is remarkable. I have never felt so valued in an organization or like a member of a team. I have a voice here, I have input, the owners listen to us (from Managers to Baristas) and include us in product development, marketing, new store designs and so much more. It's such an inclusive environment and I get to work with so many different people. Never have I seen owners go above and beyond for their staff and community. They care about everyone and are so involved. You really feel like a part of one big family.

We are given so much ownership thinking, we are treated as a true member of the company, we have staff events, play sports, have summer BBQs, birthday celebrations and recognition, staff parties and more - there are so many fun amazing things about this company. You will love working here, we have such amazing teams in all the stores and I am happy to work at the location I am at. I used to hate getting up in the morning for work and this job is the most enjoyable, it is sales and the food/retail industry so it is very busy during holidays and special occasions (I mean...we do sell chocolate afterall). This is not a place you will regret working, but honestly it is work. Everyone of course can have a different experience, but I surely hope you can see past that to come work for a company and see for yourself - that it is literally the best job I have
 - more...
Pros
Ownership thinking, teamwork, busy spurts, fun!
My experience working at the Newfoundland Choclate Company was awful. There were some positives, but the negatives definitely outweigh them.
I worked at the Signal Hill cafe for the most part, but also took retail shifts at the Avalon Mall and Duckworth Street. When i got hired I was so excited, it seemed like such a fun atmosphere and I thought it would be a job I could keep for a long while. I was so wrong.

The day to day duties for me were mostly preparing sandwiches, beverages, scooping gelato. It was awesome getting to meet people from all over the world, and chat it up with them. It was also awesome when chocolates couldn't be sold so we could eat them!

Each night we would have to send off a report of our day to the owners, let them know about the weather, our sales, and any other comments we had for the day. Many times there were things that went wrong throughout the day that we would want to send but chose not to. The only time i decided to write about something that went wrong was a day when we didn't receive any bread or chocolate that day, so there were no sandwiches or chocolate for customers to buy. This was labour day, so of course the head office was closed, just like every other location except Signal Hill.

The next day we were told that we are responsible when things go wrong, and that me and my coworker should have hopped in our cars and found bread on our own. That would mean we would have to shut the store down and take our own cars to buy supplies. My coworker questioned this and ended up fired.

There were multiple occasions I watched the owners make
 - more...
Pros
50% discount
Cons
underpayed, underappreciated, toxic environment
Working here was the best decision I could ever make. Its LOCAL, and OWNED by two of the KINDEST & GENUINE, FAMILY Orientated People I have ever met.

Like every business there are goals. The GOAL here is to bring NL to all the WORLD!!! I have had the pleasure of meeting so many people from all over the world, especially the Newfoundlander's with all their stories.

All you need to do, is come to work having the mindset of a GREAT WORKING ATTITUDE and keep communication open. If people cant do that, you will fail at any business you work for. I am treated like a person here not a number like all those CORPORATE COMPANIES.

Over all, I recommend The Newfoundland Chocolate Company to any person out there.
Pros
Life Work Balance, Support, Benefits, Discounts, Dedicated Staff