Newfoundland Chocolate Company Employee Reviews

Great Coworkers
Packaging Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 May 2019
I packaged chocolates during the Christmas season and as such there was much to do. There were high daily goals to achieve, but the work wasn't too stressful. The coworkers were great and they made the repetitive tasks more enjoyable.
Pros
The staff is great to work with
Cons
It can get quite busy
Can I give less than one star?
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 April 2019
During my time at NCC, I learned two things.

One: There is a total and complete disconnect between all levels of the company. Direction is a farce. Whether it is retail, chocolatiers, managers or upper level staff, nobody really knows what anyone else is doing and the phrase "well this person didn't do what they were supposed to" is the cop out for almost everything. It's always someone else's fault.

Two: Upper management are totally content to use you and throw you away. You are there for a reason and it is not because you are valuable or important to the company. It is because you have something they want, and once you do what they have expected of you, you are gone. Your title does not matter, and your weeks, months or years of service mean nothing.

The only positive experience I had while working there was the people I met. However, most of them have also been fired or quit, save for one or two.

If you aren't interested in being insulted, confused on a daily basis, blamed for an immeasurable amount of problems or blindsided, don't work here. Swimming with sharks with an open wound would be more of a positive experience than employment at the Newfoundland Chocolate Company.
Pros
The people you meet, free chocolate.
Cons
Working at the Newfoundland Chocolate Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL24 April 2019
Awesome Company
Lead chocolatier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL23 March 2019
NLCC is a great place to work, get recognized for your work and have the ability to advance within the company. Wages are very competitive compared to other food industry jobs and they always look to hire within the company for new positions first. This is the first place I have worked that the owners have an open door policy for their staff where you can contact them and bring up any issues you have at work and they will help you sort them out personally. Although goals are expected to be met like any business there is a lot of laughter in the workplace and is a great place to work if you thrive in a fast upbeat paced work environment. I highly recommend working here!!
Pros
Free chocolate
Cons
Free chocolate lol
Manipulative Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 March 2019
I would highly recommend avoiding this company. The image that they portray and how the company actually runs are completely different. When I first started at Newfoundland Chocolate Company I was so happy because I loved working for a locally owned company, and the team were extremely friendly and overall nice people. The longer I worked there, I noticed a major divide between the management and employees. Management never really came down on the floor at all and would always be implementing different changes 24/7 that you would have to figure out on your own. On top of that, managers never really got trained and were given way too many tasks for one person to successfully accomplish so they were always coming and going.

Overall the company has extremely high turnover, they fire people on biased reasons, sometimes without even letting the employee themselves know that they've been let go. There were many instances when employees would just be taken off the schedule without warning, or people would be "laid off" due to medical reasons.

Working in the food industry, every workplace I've ever worked for has had some form of food safety training and a "see something say something" policy about unsafe work conditions. If you went to your manager about a safety hazard, the majority of the time you would get in trouble for bringing it forward.

They like to string their employees along, talking about room to grow and move up within the company which is completely untrue. If you do plan on taking a job here, have a backup plan because thinking that you can work here in the
  more... long run is impossible.  less
Pros
The friends you'll make are great
Cons
They will exploit you for all it's worth
Happiest I've been at a job.
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 January 2019
I have been with the company for almost 5 years. I started in Nova Scotia and have been given every opportunity to do all kinds of different things within the company. The skill set I have now compare to when I started is remarkable. I have never felt so valued in an organization or like a member of a team. I have a voice here, I have input, the owners listen to us (from Managers to Baristas) and include us in product development, marketing, new store designs and so much more. It's such an inclusive environment and I get to work with so many different people. Never have I seen owners go above and beyond for their staff and community. They care about everyone and are so involved. You really feel like a part of one big family.

We are given so much ownership thinking, we are treated as a true member of the company, we have staff events, play sports, have summer BBQs, birthday celebrations and recognition, staff parties and more - there are so many fun amazing things about this company. You will love working here, we have such amazing teams in all the stores and I am happy to work at the location I am at. I used to hate getting up in the morning for work and this job is the most enjoyable, it is sales and the food/retail industry so it is very busy during holidays and special occasions (I mean...we do sell chocolate afterall). This is not a place you will regret working, but honestly it is work. Everyone of course can have a different experience, but I surely hope you can see past that to come work for a company and see for yourself - that it is literally the best job I have
  more... ever had. Ever belly laugh at work? I have. My peers support me, help me, and we truly care about each other.

We are so genuinely lucky for all the opportunity we have within this company. I have made some great friends too and hope I am here for a long long time. The company has a bright and promising future...full of growth and opportunity. The company is making great strides to do great things for its staff.
Pros
Ownership thinking, teamwork, busy spurts, fun!
Fun workplace with terrible management
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 January 2019
My experience working at the Newfoundland Choclate Company was awful. There were some positives, but the negatives definitely outweigh them.
I worked at the Signal Hill cafe for the most part, but also took retail shifts at the Avalon Mall and Duckworth Street. When i got hired I was so excited, it seemed like such a fun atmosphere and I thought it would be a job I could keep for a long while. I was so wrong.
The day to day duties for me were mostly preparing sandwiches, beverages, scooping gelato. It was awesome getting to meet people from all over the world, and chat it up with them. It was also awesome when chocolates couldn't be sold so we could eat them!
Each night we would have to send off a report of our day to the owners, let them know about the weather, our sales, and any other comments we had for the day. Many times there were things that went wrong throughout the day that we would want to send but chose not to. The only time i decided to write about something that went wrong was a day when we didn't receive any bread or chocolate that day, so there were no sandwiches or chocolate for customers to buy. This was labour day, so of course the head office was closed, just like every other location except Signal Hill.
The next day we were told that we are responsible when things go wrong, and that me and my coworker should have hopped in our cars and found bread on our own. That would mean we would have to shut the store down and take our own cars to buy supplies. My coworker questioned this and ended up fired.
There were multiple occasions I watched the owners make
  more... staff members cry, there were many nights I left in tears myself. They didn't bother learning your name, even though they would show up almost every day.
I worked so hard at this job and tried my best everyday just to be made to feel like I was doing a terrible job, underappreciated.
The only plus side to this job was the awesome friends I made, staff members are great people. Since I left this position every single person I worked with has since quit as well, or has been fired for reasons that are not legitimate. Both managers have also quit.
All I can say is don't work here, it's not worth it.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
underpayed, underappreciated, toxic environment
Family Orientated, and FUN
Management (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland Chocolate Company21 January 2019
Working here was the best decision I could ever make. Its LOCAL, and OWNED by two of the KINDEST & GENUINE, FAMILY Orientated People I have ever met.

Like every business there are goals. The GOAL here is to bring NL to all the WORLD!!! I have had the pleasure of meeting so many people from all over the world, especially the Newfoundlander's with all their stories.

All you need to do, is come to work having the mindset of a GREAT WORKING ATTITUDE and keep communication open. If people cant do that, you will fail at any business you work for. I am treated like a person here not a number like all those CORPORATE COMPANIES.

Over all, I recommend The Newfoundland Chocolate Company to any person out there.
Pros
Life Work Balance, Support, Benefits, Discounts, Dedicated Staff
Sad.
Barista (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 January 2019
The only good thing about this job was the staff I worked with. Other than that, it was absolutely horrid. The owners will never remember your name, and honestly treat you like garbage on your shoe.

Please don’t work here, it’ll only cause sadness.
Pros
The friends I made.
Cons
The terrible management/owners
Really bad
Retail (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 January 2019
A weird little cult of personality. People are worked to the bone and given poor wages for it. Avoid working for this company at all costs. They are not to be trusted
Cons
Cruel management, chaotic work places, unfair people
Bad management at all levels!
Retail Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS11 January 2019
What started as a nice job due to the work itself and good coworkers very quickly turned into a nightmare of negativity due to upper leadership.

The work (making chocolate) was very enjoyable until leadership from NFLD became more involved with day to day operations. Strict and unachievable standards were put into place, and absolutely no training was offered to help meet standards.

Opportunity for advancement was always made to seem like a possibility, but when attempts were made to have dialogue about it, everything was vague. When opportunities arose, no one was ever deemed qualified enough.

On multiple occasions talks with management lead to employee breakdowns. Crying in the back was fairly common.

If you ever needed to get in touch with head office for anything, even payroll related issues, it was very difficult and near impossible. It felt like if we needed help from head office, they weren't there. But they were always available to criticize our work.

CEO and upper management put on acts of kindness around customers but are cold and sometimes rude/mean to employees.
Pros
Chocolate!
Cons
No advancement opportunity, no training, bad company culture, terrible management
"Newfoundland Experience" Found Lacking
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia10 January 2019
This place may have been one of the worst places I have worked.
The people I worked with? Great!
The ability to make chocolate? Great!
The atmosphere, direction, support and general engagement from senior management out of NL? Awful.

They built three stores within 20 mins of each other within a full year of operation and then wondered why the original store (Mic Mac) never made the same amount of sales.

Making chocolate was great but the expectations to do that, provide customer service and be an over the top enthusiastic person providing the "Newfoundland Experience" was too high given that most of us were being provided minimum wage.

The first year the manager was never there (whether intentioned or not) so eventually the running of the store fell to the team who worked together to make sure we had chocolate and had the things we needed. We didn't have a manager, we managed ourselves.

Senior management from NL often pre-judged team members before getting to know them and on one or more occasions suggested and inferred that we had an "entitled" attitude to expect to be compensated fairly for extra work performed or staying late. If we said no, you were made to feel guilty for not helping out "the family". Visits from head office often resulted in team members being reprimanded for things out of their control (sales numbers) and left some team members in tears and not as engaged as they were before.

For all the hype they spoke of relating to a "Newfoundland Experience" being welcoming, warm, engaging, understanding and family oriented they were not that way
  more... with the teams they employed.

Save yourself the stress. You could work a lot of other places for the same wage and less headache.
Pros
Team Members in NS, Making Chocolate
Cons
Senior Management, Disorganization
Avalon Mall
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 January 2019
I mostly worked at the Avalon Mall location. A typical day at work mainly involves talking to people and helping them find what they are looking for. That might include a box of chocolates, some truffles, a latte, or a gelato.

I've learned about everything we make from working retail then made some myself as a chocolatier. I've worked at some of the trade shows and learned to make drinks as a barista.

In managing the store, we try to make sure everyone does their equal part; cleaning and restocking to make the store look good can be an important part of sales. We strive to train everyone to be their best in all areas of the store but also try to be there to help anyone when they don't have an answer.

We aim to be inclusive in terms of the people that we work with. As long as you have a friendly personality and enjoy talking to people then you will do well. We try to be clear in terms of what is expected and to listen to suggestions and concerns. You always have a team of people to help you out.

The hardest part of the job is usually keeping up with the rush during holidays but we try to make sure that there are always enough people to help customers and so that nobody is overwhelmed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is giving people something that they enjoy. Seeing happy people because of something that you did or making people's days better with a little chocolate is always nice.
Working at NCC
Barista (Current Employee) –  Yyt8 January 2019
Overall a very positive work space
Can only speak for own location (yyt) as there seems to be a drastic change (not in a good way) between locations
Job is barista- making drinks selling food, goods and chocolate
Best co workers I’ve ever had everyone truly is a family and I love seeing them everyday
Manager is the best she is extremely kind and understanding, especially with scheduales she will try her hardest to accommodate you
Weird hours however, morning shift at 3am which is now accomadated for with extra 2$ an hour !
Tips are great especially in the summer
Mostly a train on the job situation which I personally like better but maybe others do not
Head office ( especially one owner) lots of times disorganized, and unwilling to take advice
Job can be extremely busy or extremely relaxed it really depends on the time
Overall I love working here it is a great job and enjoyable barista work especially because of the work environment great co workers and fantastic manager- highly recommend yyt
Pros
Free drinks/chocolate/food
Cons
Odd hours
Owners Want the World from Employees for Minimum Wage
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth8 January 2019
I literally keep wondering when this company will be out of business and closing its doors due to the impulsivity, unpreparedness, and bad decision-making of the owners of NCC. They will keep on (or even hire back) employees that are a drain on the company and create chaos and disorganization within the lower structure of the company, while good employees are treated horribly, and definitely not appreciated.

The owners and senior management in Newfoundland constantly left out the stores in Nova Scotia, saying employees in NS didn't work as hard as NFLD and that's NS was struggling. They refused to see that it was because they do not have an adequate production facility in Newfoundland to keep up with demand around Christmas, or the fact that they cannibalized their own business by opening three stores in a 20 minute radius.

While I worked here I was extremely stressed out, anxious and depressed, a lot of this stemming from being squeezed for labour, recipes, and extreme friendliness by the culture that is created at NCC. I was paid minimum wage to have to produce artisan chocolates, deep clean the kitchen facilities daily, including scrubbing mold in an unventilated area, and to have "above and beyond" customer service, and still the owners were never happy with their employees in Nova Scotia.

Owners are not suited for this task of running a business, they eschew any good hires they make that can actually help them, and they cling to the "we're a family" notion only when it helps them (aka not having to pay employees for a shift because they guilt tripped them into
  more... the "we're a family" notion). I would recommend any other retail job because you still get paid minimum wage and would not be have to deal with the endless nonsense from NCC.  less
Pros
good co-workers at individuals stores
Cons
Toxic senior management, low pay, disrespectful owners
Chaos at the Top
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia6 January 2019
The company is incredibly disorganized and has no structure or standard operating procedures. Head office consistently looks for ways to cut corners instead of operating in an efficient standardized manner.

Managers who try their best to provide structure and organization are often not listened to or acknowledged from head office. The owners have completely different visions and do not communicate changes, plans or developments in a timely, effective or professional manner.

Teams in NS are left grasping at straws to fill product spaces on the shelf not due to sales but lack of being sent product to actually sell resulting in a vicious cycle of no sales due to customers not being able to buy the product they’re looking for and then complaints are made from management about no sales.

Management in NL comes in a whirlwind to NS with half planned, poorly executed revamp plans to get sales but end up alienating customers and team members alike in Nova Scotia instead of focusing on what works for the region they continually make the same mistakes.

Expectations of performance and production are extremely high and the pay does not match it. Team members are expected to do a high level of detailed cleaning to adhere to health and safety standards in a food service facility which is great but the expectation to also do that, provide a high level of customer service and produce product all while short staffed in an effort to keep costs low sets up a very unrealistic expectation of all team members.

They would do better to actually recognize and acknowledge teams and individuals
  more... who are killing themselves to do a good job because they take pride in their work instead of showing them indifference, disrespect and little incentive if any at all.  less
Pros
Great local managers and team members.
Cons
Disrespect from Head Office
Terrible and Manipulative Management
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 December 2018
The job itself was fun, but the management was terrible.
Seniority and ability mean absolutely nothing as it's a game of favourites, and those favourites are the people that are easily manipulated. All staff is overworked and underpaid for the work they do.
Newer employees don't get trained properly and don't take pride in their work.
The ONLY thing this place has going for it is free chocolate.
Pros
free chocolate
Cons
overworked and underpaid
Worst place I have ever worked
Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 December 2018
The owners both have different motives and pin the workers in between these unreachable goals. The company is "built on family values" but I've never seen more disrespect in tension in any other job environment. If owned by different people, perhaps this company would stand a chance. The owners mismanagement trickles down to the management staff and from there a world of unproductivity and unrealised goals flourishes.
Cons
Unappreciation, disrespect, low pay, long hours, confusing and impossible to please owners.
I've never loved a job so much
Retail and Chocolatier (Current Employee) –  Sunnyside Mall, NS22 November 2018
I have worked for many people and companies in the past and I've never actually liked anyone or anywhere that I have worked for in the past but with Newfoundland Chocolate Company I get excited to go to work. My manager is one of the kindest and most caring people I have ever met and recently got to meet one of the owners and they are just incredible. They care so much about the employees and every single customer that comes into the store. I recommend to everyone that if you have a chance to get a job for NCC, take the chance and get the job! You won't regret it!
Pros
They listen to everything you say, and your managers really take into account the hours you're looking for.
Terrible management
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS31 October 2018
They just don't care about their employees. Its a stressful job because they only accept perfection. A co-worker of mine got fired for wearing a sweater when it was cold because it was not the uniform.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newfoundland Chocolate Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6