New York Fries Employee Review

View all New York Fries reviews

Can be fun at times, but stressful and almost toxic in others
Cashier, General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2019
Most days start out alright, and they also end alright. Others not so much. The minute u stop being a trainee, everyone pretty much shows their real face. A couple are ridiculous in a funny way, others nice and willing to be friends, but the rest are rather standoffish and can get snarky. A few fights between the workers can get rather loud and heard by the customers. All and any fights end up souring the mood for the rest of the day, and I admit, I become one of the few that are snappy and rude due to the toxic atmosphere. I clearly have the fakest smile on my face and all answers are given in short answers and many tries to calm down are tried and failed.

That being said most days are alright. It's a typical work day with everyone working together to make a customer's day as great as we possibly can. The music that the people at the back cleaning dishes and replenishing the sauces put on can get rather loud, but nothing that a simple request can get done. I do note that the people at the back often finish everything really fast and end up doing nothing for at least an hour until the sauces need to be replenished once more. Same goes for the fryer. Once orders are all done they sometimes go for their phones immediately, rather than heading to help keep the workplace clean.

Another thing I have noticed with management is there is a lack of suitable communication between manager and workers. The set schedule is often changed without prior notice until the day before the changed shifts. I asked a couple of co-workers and they literally realized that they haven't seen the
  more... manager face to face in months. A new trainee literally only saw the manager during and after their interview to get the job. They don't even have a code to punch in their time to get paid because you need to talk to the manager for that. They currently rely on written attendance for their hours.

One more thing that didn't really happen to me but to other co-workers was an unusual delegation of jobs from manager and assistant store manager to normal employees. A couple just happen because the manager likes the employees' handwriting more than their own, which is an okay and a kinda funny reason to delegate work. Other times, responsibilities are shoved to other people. One person in particular likes to give away their responsibilities to others because they end up getting behind work at the back. But once more, people at the back usually end up doing nothing for at least an hour before having to help with closing.

(Now I say people, but there's usually only one person working at all stations at all times. I do wish that every shift we had more than four people [at the very least] at a time, but we wouldn't all fit in the narrow lanes of the entire workplace.)

Word of advice for the upcoming newcomers and all people looking for reasons why everyone is kinda rude that particular day and nice other days. This very environment is super toxic. I'm sure that in the future this will be different, but at the current time, I suggest waiting before handing your resume over. If you do still want that part-time/full-time job, keep asking questions, How do you do this and that? until you are sure that you definitely know what to do at a critical time. I didn't know what to do with coupons and such until I got handed them by a customer and had to pull someone from the fryer to ask what to do with a coupon. Other times was with discounts that certain people get and not understanding what to do on confirming it. The manager ended up saying to just give them the discount and to not bother confirming it because it was just a small discount.

TL: DR
Environment is toxic, fights between co-workers, and lack of communication between management and employees.
It's really hard to try and get any pros when the cons are more evident to see.
When people are done with their assigned stations, they end up using phones and end up getting behind work.
Some people like giving their own work to others.
Think before applying here, do you really want that job?
Here's to hoping this gets fixed.

*This does not apply to all locations*
(Just this one.)
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Music
Cons
Long Hours, Toxic Environment

Other New York Fries Employee Reviews

Fast pace
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2019
Very fast pace environment as my store was located in a popular mall. You are expected to memorize all the toppings to each poutine and various sizes to fry cups. It wasn't bad.
Productive and fun workplace
Sever, Cook (Former Employee) –  eaton centre13 May 2019
very friendly staff and managers, can be very busy especially during lunch rush but after a few weeks dealing with high volume customers will become much easier to handle. Must be able to multicast and be able to be timely with what work is given to the team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Fries. Our community is ready to answer.