New York Fries Management reviews

Good management, awful attitude from co workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alberta21 July 2019
The management was always friendly, understanding, helpful and cooperative. The other workers there ended up discriminating against me due to my young age, as I was the youngest employee at the age of 16-17. Rude comments were made, I was pushed/nudged physically, jobs were taken from me and I was told to instead clean or take out the trash when my position was indeed cashier/food preparation. Workers spoke another language around me and gave me nasty glares and made comments/jokes about scars I have on my arm and constantly criticized my work, skill level and customer service technique even though I had been there longer than some of them. Once I explained to my boss, they were extremely disappointed in the behaviour and understanding of my decision to leave; They even wrote me a recommendation letter for my next job(s). I was very lucky to have a great boss who taught me well and gave me the resources and knowledge I need for my future and I wish I could have worked there longer, but with that overall culture I could not bring myself to go back.
Pros
Good management and discount, flexible hours for students
Cons
Unfriendly co-workers, discrimination
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON26 June 2019
Current management was irresponsible and inconsiderate toward employees. Management would regularly refuse to acknowledge customers and crew that required help.
Fast and Fun
Associate Leader (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 April 2019
New York Fries at HMS Host was run amazingly by management the work flow was quick and the job was very simple. The team was well rounded and would recommend anytime.
Very slow paced environment unless there's an abundance of customers.
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB16 April 2019
A typical day at work for me would be me coming in the morning, make all the sauces, fry all the fries in first stage (they need to be fried in 3 stages before being served), turn on all the machines, put everything together, restock whatever needs to be, and serve customers and complete their order all day long.
I've learned how to be more patient with customers considering how incompetent they can be at times, as well as be patient with my manager who can be very frustrating at times.
Management there as of right now is not the best, because they tend to slack off and get in the way of the other employees.
The environment there itself is more chill, it becomes more fast paced when we get a bunch of customers at once but I guess that's what it's like at a lot of places.
The hardest part of this job would have to be keeping calm and patient with the customers and especially the manager. All this considered, the best part would have to be the 50% employee discount, as well as free food while on the job and, because it's in the mall, you also receive a 10% discount from certain places in the mall.
Micromanagement
Service Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2019
I loved working with my fellow employees but absolutely disliked my manager as he was very stubborn and always over my shoulder. It may just have been me but it felt as if he was always watching over me harder than the rest. However, I do applaud the standards that they made us work under. The problem was that that there was little to no space available to work nor was there much of a benefit other than working with good people. The amount of work we had to do in this location was crazy and though I am not one of the people who worked hard, the ones that did had to move to different jobs despite giving their all in this restaurant. He had been hoping to get the title of manager sooner than later but it was not granted and so he moved to a new place, which I would also have to advise other people to do if they work in a similar environment. There is little to no job advancement, only job security (and that's based on almost slave-like adherence to company rules and compliance to bad work hours, and a convincing brown-nosing attitude). Like all companies, they only care about the bottom line.
Terrible Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2019
I worked at New York Fries for a little over a year. The job itself was manageable, which required lifting multiple heavy baskets at once and surprisingly a good amount of strength for the job. Management was absolutely terrible and HR was no help whatsoever. In the time I spent working there, I had about 4 managers. My first manager was strict, but only because they were passionate about the job at hand. It felt intimidating to work with them because they wanted everything done as quick as possible. they went on maternity leave, and so another temporary manager was brought in. This manager would constantly go on smoke breaks and did the least amount of work. For a couple of months, officials from head office had to come in the store and be the manager as the last one moved to a different location and they were in search for a new replacement. Unfortunately their replacement came straight out of training with a new assistant manager and they did not manage the store well at all. My coworkers and myself found ourselves handling situations more often than the manager did. One time, on a very busy Saturday afternoon with the line stretching what seemed like over 20 customers, there were only two employees in the store (on a normal day, there were at least three). That same day, we had run out of everything, including potatoes (which seems impossible for a poutine place, right?) This forced our manager and the assistant manager to take 3 hours to drive to a different New York Fries location to grab more potatoes and left my coworker and myself to handle the long line of customers.  more... My coworkers were all young (either in high school or in college/university) and made the job somewhat enjoyable.  less
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad Management
Can be fun at times, but stressful and almost toxic in others
Cashier, General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2019
Most days start out alright, and they also end alright. Others not so much. The minute u stop being a trainee, everyone pretty much shows their real face. A couple are ridiculous in a funny way, others nice and willing to be friends, but the rest are rather standoffish and can get snarky. A few fights between the workers can get rather loud and heard by the customers. All and any fights end up souring the mood for the rest of the day, and I admit, I become one of the few that are snappy and rude due to the toxic atmosphere. I clearly have the fakest smile on my face and all answers are given in short answers and many tries to calm down are tried and failed.

That being said most days are alright. It's a typical work day with everyone working together to make a customer's day as great as we possibly can. The music that the people at the back cleaning dishes and replenishing the sauces put on can get rather loud, but nothing that a simple request can get done. I do note that the people at the back often finish everything really fast and end up doing nothing for at least an hour until the sauces need to be replenished once more. Same goes for the fryer. Once orders are all done they sometimes go for their phones immediately, rather than heading to help keep the workplace clean.

Another thing I have noticed with management is there is a lack of suitable communication between manager and workers. The set schedule is often changed without prior notice until the day before the changed shifts. I asked a couple of co-workers and they literally realized that they haven't seen the
  more... manager face to face in months. A new trainee literally only saw the manager during and after their interview to get the job. They don't even have a code to punch in their time to get paid because you need to talk to the manager for that. They currently rely on written attendance for their hours.

One more thing that didn't really happen to me but to other co-workers was an unusual delegation of jobs from manager and assistant store manager to normal employees. A couple just happen because the manager likes the employees' handwriting more than their own, which is an okay and a kinda funny reason to delegate work. Other times, responsibilities are shoved to other people. One person in particular likes to give away their responsibilities to others because they end up getting behind work at the back. But once more, people at the back usually end up doing nothing for at least an hour before having to help with closing.

(Now I say people, but there's usually only one person working at all stations at all times. I do wish that every shift we had more than four people [at the very least] at a time, but we wouldn't all fit in the narrow lanes of the entire workplace.)

Word of advice for the upcoming newcomers and all people looking for reasons why everyone is kinda rude that particular day and nice other days. This very environment is super toxic. I'm sure that in the future this will be different, but at the current time, I suggest waiting before handing your resume over. If you do still want that part-time/full-time job, keep asking questions, How do you do this and that? until you are sure that you definitely know what to do at a critical time. I didn't know what to do with coupons and such until I got handed them by a customer and had to pull someone from the fryer to ask what to do with a coupon. Other times was with discounts that certain people get and not understanding what to do on confirming it. The manager ended up saying to just give them the discount and to not bother confirming it because it was just a small discount.

TL: DR
Environment is toxic, fights between co-workers, and lack of communication between management and employees.
It's really hard to try and get any pros when the cons are more evident to see.
When people are done with their assigned stations, they end up using phones and end up getting behind work.
Some people like giving their own work to others.
Think before applying here, do you really want that job?
Here's to hoping this gets fixed.

*This does not apply to all locations*
(Just this one.)
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Music
Cons
Long Hours, Toxic Environment
Great learning experience during highschool
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 February 2019
Working my first ever job in the holidays was quiet an experience since the store was located in a busy mall. Very physically and mentally demanding especially right after a day in highshcool.

Don't expect to be comfortable, you will be tested as soon as start your first shift training. They will see if you can perform tasks under pressure.

As a part-timer/student, you will be scheduled at the most busiest times when they will need you.

Looking back, I share a lot of fond memories with my coworkers. I've worked there for 4 months as a seasonal in my senior year of highschool, and now i'm currently in college. I definitely recommend getting this as your first job as it teaches you valuable lessons in life
Pros
valuable learning experience, teaches you time management, free lunches (can make your own poutine), 25% discount while not working
Cons
Very small space to work in, busy location, brief job training, high stress enviroment
Fun work environment, great staff, great service
FCA (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB30 January 2019
Working at New York Fries is an amazing experience! I was fortunate to work in one in a close community and could really make relationships with the returning customers. The entire staff strives to make the best experience and food for the costumers and making them feel welcome. The staff is close and always there when needed and management is excellent at making sure my hours work with my school responsibilities as well.
Pros
Great discount, amazing co-workers
Welcoming Friendy Easy Going Work
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 January 2019
was an amazing job, management and staff were very well trained and organized. I however am looking for something with more of a challenge and looking to expand my overall work experience.
Pros
Free meal after every 4 hours worked, Great Staff and Environment
Cons
Super easy job
no thankyou
Frontliner (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 December 2018
just no. no way no how. i deserve to be treated better than the way I was treated here. The customers were horrible and thought they were better than me and made it clear that they thought so.
Pros
free food
Cons
just no
Fast paced
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 December 2018
On a typical day to day basis I would clean the fryers, then clean all the dishes and after all that was done I would start deep frying fries and taking peoples orders at the cashier. Management of the job was very well put together. The hardest part about the job is cleaning the fryers because it was very hot and difficult to clean every part of the fryers.
Deep frying fries and making hotdogs
Fries Frontliner, Counter Person, Kitchen Fryer (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 November 2018
cool
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 August 2018
Great place to work for, great environment, management knows what they are doing. Schedules accordingly. Very flexible and willing to work with your schedule.
Awful management but a fun place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 August 2018
Overall its a very fun place to work at. You meet a lot of people throughout the day and the employees are very friendly. The only issue with the location (pickering) I was at is management. To say the least about him/her, my schedule was changed without anyone letting me know. I got a call on the day I was suppose to have off getting yelled at by the manager for not showing up to a shift I didnt even know I had. The manager will also be down your throat and really put your down for any mistake you make.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager
Very inclusive and fast paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON11 July 2018
My experience at New York Fries is a very positive one, the environment is very inclusive and positive. The management team is amazing and very helpful with any or all problems you could be having within the workplace.

Highly recommend working there.
Flexible schedule , immature management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 June 2018
The job is fast and physical in nature, which is no problem, however management consistently under-staffed days when they were not working. This lead to high stress and over-working employees (sometimes not getting breaks). In addition, the managers where very immature and childish- most were completely incompetent at basic tasks. In particular my manager was unprofessional and based hiring and employees more on unique characteristics than actual work ability. Really the only plus was easy to book do availability and good hours.
Pros
Free food on break, easy to book off days no questions asked
Cons
Managers immature, consistent under staffing
Good first job.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB4 June 2018
A typical day at work was easy and easy to get used to. I learned how to clean dishes properly and how to stock items. I learned how to cook fries. The management was okay, not the best.
Pros
Free food at breaks
Cons
Employees werent the greatest
Working at New York Fries
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 May 2018
Working at New York Fries is my first job ever. I love working there, my employees and supervisors are really nice and friendly. They're always there for me, through the bad and the good.
Summary
Kitchen Helper ( Cashier) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 April 2018
Did not enjoy my time there. There were many problems with the staffing in the perticular locations that had to due with the boss/ manager of the chain. He/ She was very agressive and toxic for the environment
Pros
Nice Co workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Fries. Our community is ready to answer.