New York Fries

New York Fries Management reviews

Canada207 reviews
Working here was very stressful the entire time I was an employee. The owners don't really care for their employees health. I did learn new things while working here but for the most part I did not like my job.
it's a fast-paced environment, typically for a man's job cutting buckets of potatoes. bad management, not a competitive salary, it's not a fun job stressful workmates.
Cons
long hours and no free lunch
Working here is fun and exiting. Everyone worked together to help each other out. It taught me that management plays an important role and with teamwork you can achieve greater task in hand. They also gave important in one's view point on resolving problem and changing on how work can be done in safe and fast way, and also complying with industry standards.
a good management
nice colleagues
flexible rules

easy to work

teamwork

good pay rate

responsibility towards handling cash and handling complaints of the customers.
Job is easy if you pick things up quickly, and are fast. Management is really good, both (boss & manager) are really good at problem solving. Like all fast food restaurants you have the good and the bad customers, but its all on how you answer to them. For some that could be the most difficult part of the job if they do not like conflict.
Pros
Discounted food
Was an awful experience and would not recommend working there. The owners seem very unorganized and didn’t really seem like they knew what they were doing. Owners were very rude and inconsiderate when it came to being sick and having to leave if your child was ill.
-Efficient time management
by prioritizing multiple tasks at the peak time of the business

-Completing assigned duties in specific timeframe under pressure.

-Excellent communication skills in the

workplace such

as quickly deciding with co

-workers to

decide who does what job.
Discounts suck, no incentives, hours are cut a lot, if you do something wrong they yell at you, some of the people there are jerks doesn’t really seem like they really care about what you think or how you del
The owner of the NYF is totally a cheater. He promise to give work and he giver work for one week and then he don’t give any schedule. He never paid for that for the One week work and he just continuously doing with many peoples.
This is totally a business for him for not paying the employees. It happened with lots of people, I know them personally.
So I recommended don’t go for work in NYF.
Sucks horrible place never going there again worst management ive ever seen made me so depressed working there over worked me until I had no choice but to quit
The management was always friendly, understanding, helpful and cooperative. The other workers there ended up discriminating against me due to my young age, as I was the youngest employee at the age of 16-17. Rude comments were made, I was pushed/nudged physically, jobs were taken from me and I was told to instead clean or take out the trash when my position was indeed cashier/food preparation. Workers spoke another language around me and gave me nasty glares and made comments/jokes about scars I have on my arm and constantly criticized my work, skill level and customer service technique even though I had been there longer than some of them. Once I explained to my boss, they were extremely disappointed in the behaviour and understanding of my decision to leave; They even wrote me a recommendation letter for my next job(s). I was very lucky to have a great boss who taught me well and gave me the resources and knowledge I need for my future and I wish I could have worked there longer, but with that overall culture I could not bring myself to go back.
Pros
Good management and discount, flexible hours for students
Cons
Unfriendly co-workers, discrimination
This is a nice place to work with it being right in the mall but the management can be very strict. Personal conversation at any time is intolerable and meetings happen frequently.
Current management was irresponsible and inconsiderate toward employees. Management would regularly refuse to acknowledge customers and crew that required help.
New York Fries at HMS Host was run amazingly by management the work flow was quick and the job was very simple. The team was well rounded and would recommend anytime.
A typical day at work for me would be me coming in the morning, make all the sauces, fry all the fries in first stage (they need to be fried in 3 stages before being served), turn on all the machines, put everything together, restock whatever needs to be, and serve customers and complete their order all day long.
I've learned how to be more patient with customers considering how incompetent they can be at times, as well as be patient with my manager who can be very frustrating at times.

Management there as of right now is not the best, because they tend to slack off and get in the way of the other employees.
The environment there itself is more chill, it becomes more fast paced when we get a bunch of customers at once but I guess that's what it's like at a lot of places.

The hardest part of this job would have to be keeping calm and patient with the customers and especially the manager. All this considered, the best part would have to be the 50% employee discount, as well as free food while on the job and, because it's in the mall, you also receive a 10% discount from certain places in the mall.
I worked at New York Fries for a little over a year. The job itself was manageable, which required lifting multiple heavy baskets at once and surprisingly a good amount of strength for the job. Management was absolutely terrible and HR was no help whatsoever. In the time I spent working there, I had about 4 managers. My first manager was strict, but only because they were passionate about the job at hand. It felt intimidating to work with them because they wanted everything done as quick as possible. they went on maternity leave, and so another temporary manager was brought in. This manager would constantly go on smoke breaks and did the least amount of work. For a couple of months, officials from head office had to come in the store and be the manager as the last one moved to a different location and they were in search for a new replacement. Unfortunately their replacement came straight out of training with a new assistant manager and they did not manage the store well at all. My coworkers and myself found ourselves handling situations more often than the manager did. One time, on a very busy Saturday afternoon with the line stretching what seemed like over 20 customers, there were only two employees in the store (on a normal day, there were at least three). That same day, we had run out of everything, including potatoes (which seems impossible for a poutine place, right?) This forced our manager and the assistant manager to take 3 hours to drive to a different New York Fries location to grab more potatoes and left my coworker and myself to handle the long line of customers. - more...
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad Management
Most days start out alright, and they also end alright. Others not so much. The minute u stop being a trainee, everyone pretty much shows their real face. A couple are ridiculous in a funny way, others nice and willing to be friends, but the rest are rather standoffish and can get snarky. A few fights between the workers can get rather loud and heard by the customers. All and any fights end up souring the mood for the rest of the day, and I admit, I become one of the few that are snappy and rude due to the toxic atmosphere. I clearly have the fakest smile on my face and all answers are given in short answers and many tries to calm down are tried and failed.

That being said most days are alright. It's a typical work day with everyone working together to make a customer's day as great as we possibly can. The music that the people at the back cleaning dishes and replenishing the sauces put on can get rather loud, but nothing that a simple request can get done. I do note that the people at the back often finish everything really fast and end up doing nothing for at least an hour until the sauces need to be replenished once more. Same goes for the fryer. Once orders are all done they sometimes go for their phones immediately, rather than heading to help keep the workplace clean.

Another thing I have noticed with management is there is a lack of suitable communication between manager and workers. The set schedule is often changed without prior notice until the day before the changed shifts. I asked a couple of co-workers and they literally realized that they haven't seen the
 - more...
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Music
Cons
Long Hours, Toxic Environment
Working my first ever job in the holidays was quiet an experience since the store was located in a busy mall. Very physically and mentally demanding especially right after a day in highshcool.

Don't expect to be comfortable, you will be tested as soon as start your first shift training. They will see if you can perform tasks under pressure.

As a part-timer/student, you will be scheduled at the most busiest times when they will need you.

Looking back, I share a lot of fond memories with my coworkers. I've worked there for 4 months as a seasonal in my senior year of highschool, and now i'm currently in college. I definitely recommend getting this as your first job as it teaches you valuable lessons in life
Pros
valuable learning experience, teaches you time management, free lunches (can make your own poutine), 25% discount while not working
Cons
Very small space to work in, busy location, brief job training, high stress enviroment
Working at New York Fries is an amazing experience! I was fortunate to work in one in a close community and could really make relationships with the returning customers. The entire staff strives to make the best experience and food for the costumers and making them feel welcome. The staff is close and always there when needed and management is excellent at making sure my hours work with my school responsibilities as well.
Pros
Great discount, amazing co-workers
was an amazing job, management and staff were very well trained and organized. I however am looking for something with more of a challenge and looking to expand my overall work experience.
Pros
Free meal after every 4 hours worked, Great Staff and Environment
Cons
Super easy job
just no. no way no how. i deserve to be treated better than the way I was treated here. The customers were horrible and thought they were better than me and made it clear that they thought so.
Pros
free food
Cons
just no