New York Fries Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Can be fun at times, but stressful and almost toxic in others
Cashier, General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2019
Most days start out alright, and they also end alright. Others not so much. The minute u stop being a trainee, everyone pretty much shows their real face. A couple are ridiculous in a funny way, others nice and willing to be friends, but the rest are rather standoffish and can get snarky. A few fights between the workers can get rather loud and heard by the customers. All and any fights end up souring the mood for the rest of the day, and I admit, I become one of the few that are snappy and rude due to the toxic atmosphere. I clearly have the fakest smile on my face and all answers are given in short answers and many tries to calm down are tried and failed.

That being said most days are alright. It's a typical work day with everyone working together to make a customer's day as great as we possibly can. The music that the people at the back cleaning dishes and replenishing the sauces put on can get rather loud, but nothing that a simple request can get done. I do note that the people at the back often finish everything really fast and end up doing nothing for at least an hour until the sauces need to be replenished once more. Same goes for the fryer. Once orders are all done they sometimes go for their phones immediately, rather than heading to help keep the workplace clean.

Another thing I have noticed with management is there is a lack of suitable communication between manager and workers. The set schedule is often changed without prior notice until the day before the changed shifts. I asked a couple of co-workers and they literally realized that they haven't seen the
  more... manager face to face in months. A new trainee literally only saw the manager during and after their interview to get the job. They don't even have a code to punch in their time to get paid because you need to talk to the manager for that. They currently rely on written attendance for their hours.

One more thing that didn't really happen to me but to other co-workers was an unusual delegation of jobs from manager and assistant store manager to normal employees. A couple just happen because the manager likes the employees' handwriting more than their own, which is an okay and a kinda funny reason to delegate work. Other times, responsibilities are shoved to other people. One person in particular likes to give away their responsibilities to others because they end up getting behind work at the back. But once more, people at the back usually end up doing nothing for at least an hour before having to help with closing.

(Now I say people, but there's usually only one person working at all stations at all times. I do wish that every shift we had more than four people [at the very least] at a time, but we wouldn't all fit in the narrow lanes of the entire workplace.)

Word of advice for the upcoming newcomers and all people looking for reasons why everyone is kinda rude that particular day and nice other days. This very environment is super toxic. I'm sure that in the future this will be different, but at the current time, I suggest waiting before handing your resume over. If you do still want that part-time/full-time job, keep asking questions, How do you do this and that? until you are sure that you definitely know what to do at a critical time. I didn't know what to do with coupons and such until I got handed them by a customer and had to pull someone from the fryer to ask what to do with a coupon. Other times was with discounts that certain people get and not understanding what to do on confirming it. The manager ended up saying to just give them the discount and to not bother confirming it because it was just a small discount.

TL: DR
Environment is toxic, fights between co-workers, and lack of communication between management and employees.
It's really hard to try and get any pros when the cons are more evident to see.
When people are done with their assigned stations, they end up using phones and end up getting behind work.
Some people like giving their own work to others.
Think before applying here, do you really want that job?
Here's to hoping this gets fixed.

*This does not apply to all locations*
(Just this one.)
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Music
Cons
Long Hours, Toxic Environment
Excellent learning experience and work environment
CASHIER/FRY COOK (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
Learned how to make fries and use the cash register. Learned how to cooperate with co workers and over come difficult situations in the best way possible.
It wasn't a very challenging job once you get used to it.
Inventory Control/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2017
It's not always busy in my workplace, there are only certain times when people will burst in and make long line. I believe I was well-trained for my position so I'm able to handle it and to be initiative in working on other things whenever there's free time.
Pros
Free food
fast paced job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
Fast paced job
always have to look happy for costumer to see
always look approachable
have to make sure to time the fries when cooking
properly clean the store
Pros
mall discount
Cons
very short hours like 4-6 and once a week schedule
Bad Management
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
I never knew what my schedule was. It was really stressful. Management would change my schedule behind my back and i would get angry phone calls, asking me why i didn't show up to work.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no free food
Lots of opportunity
Full time Cashier/Team member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2017
I worked less than a year in New York Fries and I have learned so much from being a cashier, to fryer and providing excellent costumer service. My coworkers were always helpful and encouraging. I love working at New York Fries because not only I improved my skills this job also helped me saved money to pay off OSAP.
Pros
Manager was really nice and very professional on top of that I can get to bring home free food
Cons
I did not get enough hours
management role
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
started here when i was young, learned a lot from the managers and staff along the way. opened up my first store and was able to teach and train the staff the way i was trained
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2016
Productive and fun workplace.
Supportive and encouraging management
Pay on time
Management was initially stellar in developing my skill set.
Provides good work experience that will be useful in the future
Pros
Free Lunches
Very good entry level job, a lot of fun.
Assisting and serving customers (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2015
A typical day at work was all about serving fries and hot dogs to the customers while having fun with coworkers and providing the best customer service you could. Hardest part of the job was having to stay until 11 p.m. on a school night and coming home at around 12 p.m. The most enjoyable part was the amount of fun I got involved in and the schedule was very flexible to me as a high school student.
Pros
Great atomsphere
Cons
Going home late
fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2014
you need to have time Management move in fast phase you to have team work so we can do the job easily and faster
Fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2014
A typical day at work could be tiring or easy depending on the day and also the number of hours of work for the day.
Over all i really enjoyed working at New York Fries.
Employers are not always very down to earth or easy going but the experience is what means the most to me while at New York Fries.
A fun place to work to gain experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2013
From the time I start my job, I will have to be on my feet serving customers with a pleasing personality.
Co-workers have always been very co-operative.
On a very busy day, it is a bit of stress, but enjoyable.
End of the day job satisfaction is the most enjoyable part of my job
Pros
Free food