New York Fries Employee Reviews in Mississauga, ON

Terrible Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2019
I worked at New York Fries for a little over a year. The job itself was manageable, which required lifting multiple heavy baskets at once and surprisingly a good amount of strength for the job. Management was absolutely terrible and HR was no help whatsoever. In the time I spent working there, I had about 4 managers. My first manager was strict, but only because they were passionate about the job at hand. It felt intimidating to work with them because they wanted everything done as quick as possible. they went on maternity leave, and so another temporary manager was brought in. This manager would constantly go on smoke breaks and did the least amount of work. For a couple of months, officials from head office had to come in the store and be the manager as the last one moved to a different location and they were in search for a new replacement. Unfortunately their replacement came straight out of training with a new assistant manager and they did not manage the store well at all. My coworkers and myself found ourselves handling situations more often than the manager did. One time, on a very busy Saturday afternoon with the line stretching what seemed like over 20 customers, there were only two employees in the store (on a normal day, there were at least three). That same day, we had run out of everything, including potatoes (which seems impossible for a poutine place, right?) This forced our manager and the assistant manager to take 3 hours to drive to a different New York Fries location to grab more potatoes and left my coworker and myself to handle the long line of customers.  more... My coworkers were all young (either in high school or in college/university) and made the job somewhat enjoyable.  less
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad Management
The dissapointment
Supervisor (Mississauga) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2017
When working in new york fries, it was;t too bad when i first started, however i did get promoted and they haven't given me the proper raise. We've had several managers get fired and it wasn't right because they were simply doing their job and head office didn't have the right to fire them but they did. I learned how to do cash out, for closing, and several health violations and how to prevent that. I learned a lot of about customer service. The job wasn't hard for me at all, at first lifting baskets were hard but i did get used to it. and the most enjoyable would be the co workers who always kept me in a good mood.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
head office and management
people were great, the manager was annoying
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 July 2017
very redundant work
I learned the skills of communication with people, learning basic confidence doing face to face work and transactions
the hardest part really was washing the dishes...
the most enjoyable part of the job was just getting along with everyone
Pros
free lunches. don't have to much of it though
Cons
shorts breaks
Key-holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 June 2017
At New York Fries, the management was okay. I would only get about two shifts a week and when I first started I was making $10.50, five cents under minimum wage.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Terrible Ownership
small working enviroment
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 October 2016
minimal managerial influence on the store from the higher ups. constant changes to the store that, on paper, make sense but in practice, did not work and the higher managers never understood that.
Decent workplace
Responsible for all positions in the store (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 July 2015
When I come into work I must first take out the garbage. Then, I grab all required products from the stock room that are needed in the store. In the store, I go to whatever position is available. The workplace gives employees freedom. I can really go to any position I want to as long as we are all being productive. However, there is nothing exciting about the workplace and there is a lack of passion at the workplace. I do not feel a connection and love for the store as I wish I would.
Pros
Free food, relaxed workplace, calm employees
Cons
Not enough hours, poor management, lack of togetherness and teamwork