New York Fries Employee Reviews

Fast and Fun
Associate Leader (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 April 2019
New York Fries at HMS Host was run amazingly by management the work flow was quick and the job was very simple. The team was well rounded and would recommend anytime.
had a idea about cook's life
cook and cashier (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS16 April 2019
i worked in the morning shifts. I collected the required items for the whole day use. I cut ingredients, made gravy, washed dishes, cleaned the workplace time to time.
Very slow paced environment unless there's an abundance of customers.
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB16 April 2019
A typical day at work for me would be me coming in the morning, make all the sauces, fry all the fries in first stage (they need to be fried in 3 stages before being served), turn on all the machines, put everything together, restock whatever needs to be, and serve customers and complete their order all day long.
I've learned how to be more patient with customers considering how incompetent they can be at times, as well as be patient with my manager who can be very frustrating at times.
Management there as of right now is not the best, because they tend to slack off and get in the way of the other employees.
The environment there itself is more chill, it becomes more fast paced when we get a bunch of customers at once but I guess that's what it's like at a lot of places.
The hardest part of this job would have to be keeping calm and patient with the customers and especially the manager. All this considered, the best part would have to be the 50% employee discount, as well as free food while on the job and, because it's in the mall, you also receive a 10% discount from certain places in the mall.
Micromanagement
Service Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2019
I loved working with my fellow employees but absolutely disliked my manager as he was very stubborn and always over my shoulder. It may just have been me but it felt as if he was always watching over me harder than the rest. However, I do applaud the standards that they made us work under. The problem was that that there was little to no space available to work nor was there much of a benefit other than working with good people. The amount of work we had to do in this location was crazy and though I am not one of the people who worked hard, the ones that did had to move to different jobs despite giving their all in this restaurant. He had been hoping to get the title of manager sooner than later but it was not granted and so he moved to a new place, which I would also have to advise other people to do if they work in a similar environment. There is little to no job advancement, only job security (and that's based on almost slave-like adherence to company rules and compliance to bad work hours, and a convincing brown-nosing attitude). Like all companies, they only care about the bottom line.
Fun Environment, Tight-Knit Group
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON4 April 2019
Fast-paced and stressful environment when busy but fun workers you can quickly become friends with. Straight-forward routine and a simple, easy to remember menu.
Terrible Job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2019
I worked at New York Fries for a little over a year. The job itself was manageable, which required lifting multiple heavy baskets at once and surprisingly a good amount of strength for the job. Management was absolutely terrible and HR was no help whatsoever. In the time I spent working there, I had about 4 managers. My first manager was strict, but only because they were passionate about the job at hand. It felt intimidating to work with them because they wanted everything done as quick as possible. they went on maternity leave, and so another temporary manager was brought in. This manager would constantly go on smoke breaks and did the least amount of work. For a couple of months, officials from head office had to come in the store and be the manager as the last one moved to a different location and they were in search for a new replacement. Unfortunately their replacement came straight out of training with a new assistant manager and they did not manage the store well at all. My coworkers and myself found ourselves handling situations more often than the manager did. One time, on a very busy Saturday afternoon with the line stretching what seemed like over 20 customers, there were only two employees in the store (on a normal day, there were at least three). That same day, we had run out of everything, including potatoes (which seems impossible for a poutine place, right?) This forced our manager and the assistant manager to take 3 hours to drive to a different New York Fries location to grab more potatoes and left my coworker and myself to handle the long line of customers.  more... My coworkers were all young (either in high school or in college/university) and made the job somewhat enjoyable.  less
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad Management
Typical fast food job
Front-liner (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2019
It's a typical minimum wage fast food job really. Your co-workers are young and there's a lot of micro-managing from supervisors but overall the staff is generally friendly.

If your in a busy location, like I am, it can be stressful and if you work full-time you can expect long hours of standing. Closing shifts are a pain because chances are you'll have to stay 45-60 mins past close to clean up which can keep you until 10:00 at night and sometimes later.

Work hours are flexible which is perfect if your a high school or college student.

Customers are the worst part of the job tbh, and you'll probably smell bad after your shifts due to the fries.
Pros
Flexible schedules, friendly staff
Cons
Long hours, physically tiring
Can be fun at times, but stressful and almost toxic in others
Cashier, General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2019
Most days start out alright, and they also end alright. Others not so much. The minute u stop being a trainee, everyone pretty much shows their real face. A couple are ridiculous in a funny way, others nice and willing to be friends, but the rest are rather standoffish and can get snarky. A few fights between the workers can get rather loud and heard by the customers. All and any fights end up souring the mood for the rest of the day, and I admit, I become one of the few that are snappy and rude due to the toxic atmosphere. I clearly have the fakest smile on my face and all answers are given in short answers and many tries to calm down are tried and failed.

That being said most days are alright. It's a typical work day with everyone working together to make a customer's day as great as we possibly can. The music that the people at the back cleaning dishes and replenishing the sauces put on can get rather loud, but nothing that a simple request can get done. I do note that the people at the back often finish everything really fast and end up doing nothing for at least an hour until the sauces need to be replenished once more. Same goes for the fryer. Once orders are all done they sometimes go for their phones immediately, rather than heading to help keep the workplace clean.

Another thing I have noticed with management is there is a lack of suitable communication between manager and workers. The set schedule is often changed without prior notice until the day before the changed shifts. I asked a couple of co-workers and they literally realized that they haven't seen the
  more... manager face to face in months. A new trainee literally only saw the manager during and after their interview to get the job. They don't even have a code to punch in their time to get paid because you need to talk to the manager for that. They currently rely on written attendance for their hours.

One more thing that didn't really happen to me but to other co-workers was an unusual delegation of jobs from manager and assistant store manager to normal employees. A couple just happen because the manager likes the employees' handwriting more than their own, which is an okay and a kinda funny reason to delegate work. Other times, responsibilities are shoved to other people. One person in particular likes to give away their responsibilities to others because they end up getting behind work at the back. But once more, people at the back usually end up doing nothing for at least an hour before having to help with closing.

(Now I say people, but there's usually only one person working at all stations at all times. I do wish that every shift we had more than four people [at the very least] at a time, but we wouldn't all fit in the narrow lanes of the entire workplace.)

Word of advice for the upcoming newcomers and all people looking for reasons why everyone is kinda rude that particular day and nice other days. This very environment is super toxic. I'm sure that in the future this will be different, but at the current time, I suggest waiting before handing your resume over. If you do still want that part-time/full-time job, keep asking questions, How do you do this and that? until you are sure that you definitely know what to do at a critical time. I didn't know what to do with coupons and such until I got handed them by a customer and had to pull someone from the fryer to ask what to do with a coupon. Other times was with discounts that certain people get and not understanding what to do on confirming it. The manager ended up saying to just give them the discount and to not bother confirming it because it was just a small discount.

TL: DR
Environment is toxic, fights between co-workers, and lack of communication between management and employees.
It's really hard to try and get any pros when the cons are more evident to see.
When people are done with their assigned stations, they end up using phones and end up getting behind work.
Some people like giving their own work to others.
Think before applying here, do you really want that job?
Here's to hoping this gets fixed.

*This does not apply to all locations*
(Just this one.)
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Music
Cons
Long Hours, Toxic Environment
Great learning experience during highschool
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 February 2019
Working my first ever job in the holidays was quiet an experience since the store was located in a busy mall. Very physically and mentally demanding especially right after a day in highshcool.

Don't expect to be comfortable, you will be tested as soon as start your first shift training. They will see if you can perform tasks under pressure.

As a part-timer/student, you will be scheduled at the most busiest times when they will need you.

Looking back, I share a lot of fond memories with my coworkers. I've worked there for 4 months as a seasonal in my senior year of highschool, and now i'm currently in college. I definitely recommend getting this as your first job as it teaches you valuable lessons in life
Pros
valuable learning experience, teaches you time management, free lunches (can make your own poutine), 25% discount while not working
Cons
Very small space to work in, busy location, brief job training, high stress enviroment
was a good first job type of work
CASHIER/LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 February 2019
was a very fast environment always something to do but i wanted to move on to different work so i could get more money in my pocket so i looked into warehousing
Pros
free food
Cons
low pay
Great
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 February 2019
Great Job, really enjoy the employees and its very simple work. Flwexible hours and an easy menu! Although it gets a little boring as theres not much to do
Fun work environment, great staff, great service
FCA (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB30 January 2019
Working at New York Fries is an amazing experience! I was fortunate to work in one in a close community and could really make relationships with the returning customers. The entire staff strives to make the best experience and food for the costumers and making them feel welcome. The staff is close and always there when needed and management is excellent at making sure my hours work with my school responsibilities as well.
Pros
Great discount, amazing co-workers
Its a good place to work for the high school crowd
Helping Hand (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 January 2019
i love the job and the customer service that it has but need more hours. i went from fill time down down to part time. its a great first job for those high school students
Pros
great work environment
Cons
not enough hours
Can be quite busy, but the working environment is cooperative.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 January 2019
Some chains are packed with customer but with the right amount of staff, the job will be carried out efficiently. The hardest part of the job would be to work precisely in a fast paced environment. In order to do so, you must be focused on multiple tasks all at once.
Welcoming Friendy Easy Going Work
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 January 2019
was an amazing job, management and staff were very well trained and organized. I however am looking for something with more of a challenge and looking to expand my overall work experience.
Pros
Free meal after every 4 hours worked, Great Staff and Environment
Cons
Super easy job
fast paced fun place to work
CREW MEMBER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON16 January 2019
serve customers, cut potatoes, clean, cook, etc
good atmosphere. not good for financial stability at times.

very fast paced andyou need to have a good memory.
Pros
free food
Cons
may need second job
no thankyou
Frontliner (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 December 2018
just no. no way no how. i deserve to be treated better than the way I was treated here. The customers were horrible and thought they were better than me and made it clear that they thought so.
Pros
free food
Cons
just no
Fast paced
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 December 2018
On a typical day to day basis I would clean the fryers, then clean all the dishes and after all that was done I would start deep frying fries and taking peoples orders at the cashier. Management of the job was very well put together. The hardest part about the job is cleaning the fryers because it was very hot and difficult to clean every part of the fryers.
serve at the frontline at New York Fries
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
- keep the front line nice and clean
- serve the customer
- add the bottle of water to the fridge
- clean up the counter for customers
- keep the condiments at the standard level
- sometimes need to help at the back kitchen
- help to move stuff to storage
- prepare the food materials.
- clean up
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
work is too busy
Deep frying fries and making hotdogs
Fries Frontliner, Counter Person, Kitchen Fryer (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 November 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Fries. Our community is ready to answer.