New Horizon Co-op
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

New Horizon Co-op Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews

workworkinggreatpeoplejobdaycustomerbenefit

Fine place to work, management is difficult at times

Honest to god it depends what department and what team leader you have. I’ve worked in cash, grocery, deli, and meat, all have different ideas of work and what is expected from you.

Pros

10% off and 15% if you spend over 150 Great benefits

Cons

Difficult coworkers Little to no communication

Terrible

Some managers are very disrespectful and ignorant, no matter how hard you work you never feel like it's good enough. Co workers are amazing, management is the worst.

Insights into New Horizon Co-op

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Learned a lot

Learned a lot and felt like family wod go back to work for them in a heart beat loved working for the company they understand life and things come up they work as a team and help one another out when needed

Working there is a joke

There are many issues about working at Co-op. Often times there is little to no communication. I worked in the bakery and would find myself trying to balance packaging, answering the phone and help customers on my own. Many days they would have the bakery understaffed during their busiest times, then overstaffed when there was less business. A few times I had to cut my lunch break off early, and I never took any of my 15 minute breaks. They have a weekly schedule, which is awful if you want a life outside of work because the days are not consistent. Also their schedules are subjected to change at any point, they will not notify you. The management doesn't seem to care about the departments and constantly cut peoples hours. One week you could be working full time 40 hours, the next you don't have any hours at all. But then they complain that they don't have enough staff, but treat their employees poorly. Two weeks of zero hours to force you to quit so they don't have to pay you benefits. While paying $15.68 an hour in a city where the cost of living is far more. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

No job security, poor wages

Welcoming and encouraging

I couldn't ask for a better place to work. My manager and all of my coworkers have become like family. I look forward to going in to work everyday and enjoy my time spent there. The customers are usually always pleasant and are very loyal to the brand.Management is very flexible in scheduling and very understanding of family issues and if time is needed off. The benefit program is top shelf and the in store discount is a great perk. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a long term career.

Pros

Supportive, discount, fare wage

Excellent opportunities for growth

The culture is great however it does depend on what location you work in. The best part of the day is seeing regular customers. My Team Leader is very encouraging of me.

Pros

Lots of training available if you want it!

Lots of opportunities

Real chance for growth if you are ambitious. Wide variety of area/types of jobs or departments. Hard to get 30+ hrs in some departments. Retail is always challenging but nice customer base. Several ways to have problems addressed if you try.

Terrible Management! Terrible hours! Terrible pay!

Do NOT suggest working here! The management is terrible. They will work you to the bone for next to no pay and you will not get fulltime hours so it makes the pay even worse. The schedule is never up until a day or 2 before the next work week starts and your days off won't even be your days off! If you want to be taken advantage of for next to no pay then this place is for you, if not do NOT work here!

Pros

Some hours

Cons

Atrocious management Horrible hours Terrible pay Will be taken advantage of

Senior management is absolutely terrible. treat everyone as expendable

Senior management is absolutely terrible. They treat everyone as expendable and if you have issues with one aspect of the job instead of mentoring you, they just replace you. Everyone who has worked there in any management form has taken a LOA or being treated for depression because of the pressure and way your treated

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

You're expected to live and breathe the job. If you have hobbies or things outside of work, you will have to fight hard to be able to make time for it. Work life balance does not exist

Wrong people in charge

The job itself was good and simple with a decent pay but the ones who run the downtown store really have some kind of superiority complex. Get in the way while they have a bad day and they will make sure to ruin your day as well. Department managers were amazing, it's the ones you don't interact with daily that will suddenly come out of nowhere and shriek at you.

No trust in staff.

I found this company very unsatisfactory to work for. They have many cameras and monitor staff alot. I felt like a robot. Was not encouraged to interact much with customers. Sometimes even timed on how long customer interactions were. Timed on stock being replenished. I have never felt so mistrusted by a company.

Hostile Work Environment

I found the work environment quite hostile. The whole system needs an overhaul and it was not such a conducive environment to work in. I also found the place quite dirty.

Benefits

Cons

Poor management, and incompetent and petty co workers

Place is awful

I worked there for a good couple years, I enjoyed most the staff but the way the company/higher ups act is ridiculous. I witnessed a kid not receive his pay for well over a month then when he did it was no where near the total amount he should have received. Not to mention how staff is treated in general. I get it, it's a bigger company and things are harder to manage but you should be able to at least address and solve problems in your company. This place cannot do that!!! I will post this everywhere so people know what there getting into, hope this helps 👍

Benefits

Cons

Management, company in general

Fast paced with workers who dont know what to do half the time

They are very judgmental of people that work there and the upper management is an absolute joke, they are a clean and organized company but when it comes to scheduling its a mess

Pros

Free slushies and the employees are nice but dont always know what their doing, and upper management is a complete joke

Cons

Alot

Great Work environment

I loved working for Grande Cache New Horizon Co-Op. It was a great work environment with great people and staff members. Management is fantastic and the town is also really great.

Typical work youd expect from a cashier/stock job. management went above and beyond to help you out if needed.co-workers were friendsly, supportive and willing to go the extra mile to get things done

Well done

Working here is badly managed and expected to do tasks that are to much for one person ,safety not a issue ,and no tools to complete the work

Amazing staff, amazing management

Working at co-op has showed me that you can really build a family like environment in a place where most people dread being. Every day that I walk into work the energy is always so high it instantly turns my bad mood into a good one. you can build relationships and friendships with the regular costumers who come in, especially the people who fill up with fleet cards you start to remember them by name.

Pros

Lots of fun with co-workers, breaks are timed perfectly

Cons

Slow paced, repetitive

Community minded, invested in their people

A typical day in my job, is managing our Facebook page, promoting events that take place at our locations, as well as bringing forth new opportunities for our company to grow and become more involved with our community. I am continuing to learn about the financial elements of my job, and am growing my computer skills.My Management Team is amazing with the support they give and the tools they provide for continued learning and improving in your position. Our workplace is a positive one where input is welcomed. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new skills and the people I meet from so many different organizations that we deal with.

Challenging and rewarding place to work

New Horizon Co-operative hires from within. There are lots of room for advancement with this company. They offer great benefits like Superannuation employer matched pension plan, employee discount, etc. Brand and Safety are a major focus.

A very enjoyable,sometimes hectic but overall well balanced workplace. a very respectful and accommodating office, well organized and timely. Every current employee gets along well and has a strong working relationship.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Horizon Co-op. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement