NELSON RIVER CONSTRUCTION

NELSON RIVER CONSTRUCTION Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
I enjoyed working here. Management at the time was very good and respected you. Was always accommodating when going through something personal. Co-workers were also good.
So it’s supposed be equal pay for work but people will get so drunk and stoned that they can’t work the next day but I still had to feed them so the Forman was the worst one
Cons
Seeing the reactions from people in the company towards people outside is sad to watch, grunt workers aren’t cooperative with sub contractors almost like they don’t care or are frustrated they don’t have any information to give, quality of some concrete products seem like it’s only there for show and now for overall improvement.
Lots of good people who will educate you to do the job correctly and efficiently. Lots of room to move up in the company good wages tons of hours hard work.
Pros
Cons
Weather
I did not like Working for nelson River , It wasn't the job for me. I wouldn't really recommended it to someone who doesnt like being outside in the heat, rain, wind, ect.
Overall the experience was well worth it made me come out of my shell if you’re the shy type, it definitely helped me overcome my own many challenges. The people and energy were very great, highly recommended.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and suppers
Cons
Long hours in variety’s of weather
NRC it's good company with good benefits but it's seasonale work.I'm looking for full time work during the year.
Very frendly company.Good and responsible managment.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Liked my fellow employees however management was very limited.
This is the only company I have ever worked for that has the nerve to ask you to pay admission to company Christmas party. After setting a company record for most concrete in a single season. I was a part of the crew that built Centreport expansion.
Pros
lots of overtime.
Cons
Low wages and limited benefits.
Official response from NELSON RIVER CONSTRUCTION
22 October 2019
Thank-you for your feedback and your service to the company. It is rewarding to be part of a project that is done with excellence. Every time you drive by it you can be proud to have been a part of it's construction.

About the Christmas party... The small price you pay for your admission ticket is actually donated to Charity. The strategy behind the ticket is to get as close to an accurate number of attendants as possible in order to plan the dinner menu, place settings, etc. The company pays for the entire dining experience, the free drinks, entertainment, the prizes and gifts at each place setting.
personnally i found the hours great and the rate of pay per hour fair. exciting enviroment. always working in the outdoors
Pros
great pay
Cons
not enough time in the day
its a great place to work good equipment and not a bunch of slave drivers great pay and i had a great time working there and would go back to work there any day
The Nelson River Construction camp was located only a few miles from my home. The hours were great and flexible. I enjoyed the people I worked with in the kitchen and also learned a few new things.
Early morning starts with daily safety meetings. Following and upholding laws as set out by our government regulators as stated in the "highway traffic act" of Manitoba.
Pros
Working outdoors in the clean fresh air.
Cons
Dealing with extreme temperatures.
Show up in the morning before sun up, and heading home after the sun has already gone down. Jobs varied from day to day from being a flag person, to a heavy equipment operator. I had gotten more experience driving the wobblies, dealing with interesting motorists and the overall learning the steps of highway construction. The hardest part of the day would for sure have been the hours, working up to 14 hours/day, and the extreme weather, but to be expected working in the construction industry. All in all a very enjoyable experience
Pros
Good Coworkers, formen. Positive attitudes, Alot of hours Amazing meals provided
Cons
Long hours, extreme weather
A typical day at work, it was a long hour job, we worked over 15 hours daily.
What I had learned is that you need to be in tip top shape for this job, and need to be energized, and well interactive with co-workers.

Management was well maintained.

My co-workers were all very kind, and very interactive with one another.

The hardest part of the job was waking up in the early early hours of the morning to go to work. ex. 4:30am. and standing for so long, work wasn't over until around 9:00-10:00pm somedays even 11:00pm. It was a very hard job, and you needed to take enought food to last you all day, somedays the food would be not so good, because of the weather temperatures being so hot.

My enjoyed part of the job was being able to work with others, and they would let you know what they were doing on the work site to keep everyone safe. All in all I really liked this job!