Natural Resources Canada

Natural Resources Canada Employee Reviews

Canada62 reviews
I learned a lot in my time with NRCan. I have nothing negative to say other than it was a big change from the private industry and may not be for everyone. Much slower pace. Great collaboration and knowledge that is freely shared.
Pros
opportunities to learn, people
Cons
slower pace than i was used to
I so enjoyed working at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre for Natural Resources Canada. They provided an incredible amount of resources and learning opportunities, coupled with smiling faces and great conversations. Everyone can learn, grow and succeed here!
Pros
Free seminars and workshops
Cons
Contract work
Nice team and very collaborative. Most management members are supportive and open. There can be very tight and unrealistic timelines for some deliverables.
I was not happy in that place . I was hired through agency for short contract at end of a one year program . The program did not extend and I lost my job . They were happy of my work but the attitude of the manger and some of the colleges were not friendly at all.
Excellent group of people, would recommend to everyone. Great work life balance, team is really understanding. Not a lot of room to move up but there are many position available in all of the government so if you're looking for a change, you have many options.
This is a research focused institution and as such the staff is focused on producing meaningful publications. This can lead to frequent shuffling of project goals and constant battles for funding but is overall a great place to work.
Job was to assist one of the assistants for directors of foreign affairs in arranging payments (Accounts Payable) for Travel and/or Communications & Travel, ie; cell phones, extra cell phones or conference calling as well as air flights and cab or limousine pick up. With other accounting assignments within the department.
It's a government job with excellent benefits, lots of very bright co-workers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much scientific vision at the senior management level, and there isn't the commitment to make resources available for scientific research that characterized the GSC thirty or forty years ago.
Fantastic place to work for
Staff are friendly and management cares for the contractors

Very busy place to work, barely any downtime which is good so days go by fast
I enjoy it because I enjoy the type of work I'm doing. Hours are relatively flexible, independence to move projects forward, ability to use multiple different skills. Allowed me to apply my education background so it doesn't feel like a waste.
We never know what to expect since this is a call centre environment and the reason clients call is really broad. Some calls can be challenging , which make the place good to work
This experience allowed me to develop the skills I needed to be successful in the field as well as proper lab etiquette. Working towards the mitigation of Ontario forests against invasive species was rewarding and fulfilling.
Great exposure to private and public sectors including research and development projects in the oil and gas sector.

Position also strategic in contributing to the government's mandate towards cleaner energy production and distribution.

Fun workplace, great work life balance.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No growth perspectives
the ob was not very challenging and I didn't really learn much. I kept asking for more work to do and i was given none. I was only in charge of research
A very secure institution to work for however opportunities for advancement are very few in this department. Salary is decent but transparency with the organization is lacking.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
lots of bureaucratic red tape
With being a one man department the daily task change and one has to be willing to adjust and make a priority list daily. Daily challenge with not only this location but with dealing with Ottawa
A typical day at the office would be preparing budget forecasts, salary forecasting, purchasing, creating contracts normal day to day office administration, replying to emails etc.,
too many limiting factors, most employees have been working here for decades, very limited vision, lethargy and challenging management. Great teamwork for some projects, depends on the personality of the manager.
Pros
nice hours
Cons
limited creativity and growth
Work day consisted of 12 hr shifts, 7 days/wk, 6 wks in, 3 wks out, working in Resolute Bay. Very challenging yet rewarding job, coordinating all logistical support (primarily airlift) to deploy and recover scientific researchers to and from their research sight(s) throughout the Canadian High Arctic. Truly fascinating learning about the various research activities being conducted throughout Canada's High Arctic.
Pros
Colleagues, Clients, free room and board
Cons
Long hrs
I was just an intern student in when I was working there, unfortunately, there was no payment for this position. People working there are all nice, and if you want to do some research, it will be a perfect organization.
I loved working with the staff in the department I worked in. The office culture was open and inviting to anyone new. We had a few lunches out to bring us closer as a team. I would love to work there again.
Pros
great office culture
Cons
no parking readily available