Natural Resources Canada Employee Reviews

was great employer for time I was employed
Contract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2018
I was on a contact position.

the managers in charge did the appropriate contracts and scope of work quickly, thus making payments efficient.

Management was very amenable to my schedule and arranged meetings to accommodate my schedule.

very receptive to advice and guidance I provided
Pros
knowledgeable management
Interesting Situation
Programs and Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2018
The Director left, the chief was relieved of their duties and as a contract/temp I get the shaft and my contract was renewed because no one knew where things were left in regards to the negotiation of my contract. Too many changes too soon.
Diverse work opportunites
Various Roles (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2018
Working at Natural Resources Canada is enjoyable overall. The Federal Public Service offers good pay and benefits, and opportunities to work in diverse subject areas and work environments, from office buildings to laboratories.
Pros
Good pay and benefits if you have an indeterminate position
Cons
Hard to move around or up if you don't have French
Good Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 February 2018
Prefer not to give a review. Seems forced upon me, therefor I will continue to write until it allows me to submit without including this. Still typing, still typing, still typing.
Relaxed research centre with friendly scientists
Chemical Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2017
Most of the research scientists are very helpful and passionate, however the position is very repetitive. There is little to no room for promotion, therefore the department needs better management.
Fun place
Communications Assistant (4th coop term) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 March 2017
There was a great community within the team that I took a part of and this led to productive and fun work environment. Some projects can move slow, but others move very quickly.
Good place for research with a very student friendly environment
Simulations Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa4 March 2017
I worked on a modelling team, aiding other teams and companies in computation simulation of fluid dynamics. The workplace had a good workplace culture with a notable number of sports and activities provided for co-op students at lunch. The hardest part of the job was teaching myself computational fluid dynaimcs, CADing software, and other software required for the job, but never taught to me in my undergraduate degree. A lot of independent studying and research was involved.
Good place to work. People are very friendly.
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Ideal job for an internship, you have a lot of freedom in this job to explore. The people are all great and easy to work with. Pay is also very good for a student.

The job is very laid back, many times I would find myself without any tasks to complete with nothing on queue from my managers. You can make use of your down time though by shadowing engineers, or exploring different software tools they have available.
Productive, engaging, and challenging environment to work in.
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2016
Great environment to work in. Colleagues keep you engaged at all times and allow for a high challenging but fun environment. Always learning something new everyday.
Professional, productive and friendly place to work.
Travel Coordinator/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON24 June 2016
- very professional yet friendly environment and co-workers
- enjoyed being able to ensure the smooth flow of daily office operations
- enjoyed handling all the department's travel and learning new skills
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Office located in industrial area
Great work environnement with great staff.
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2016
Everyday duties include:

Checking emails in the morning and working with clients.
Viewing and entering metadata from new releases of publications.
Working with co-workers in my own office.
Managing what we include, exclude and modify the database.
Hardest part of my job is to make sure there are no errors in the data I enter. Once saved it is accessible by the public.
Getting here everyday and loving the atmosphere of office life with my co-workers and bosses. Love it.
Pros
Casual wear, Manage our own Hours.
Cons
Far from Home
Very fun Co-op placement
Geotechnical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS26 January 2016
Learned a lot related to Geotechnical Engineering
Worked in a laboratory setting
Got to attend many meetings and presentations
Report writing
Got to explore the institute and work closely with others
Pros
Lots of other student staff
Cons
Sometimes a little boring and monotonous during testing proceedures
Administrative Assistant and finance
Word Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2016
Work with NRCan for 24 years, formerly Energy Mines and Resources, starting in 1989 until 2013.

Worked different level of jobs, started as a Word Processing Officer, than changed to a clerk, than Finance and Administration.

The hardest part of the job was being affected in 2013 while I was told that I needed to looked for another employment. That's when I moved to AADNC (Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada) in Gatineau QC.
Pros
Permanency in 1990
Cons
Leaving in 2013
Great and productive workplace
Program Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 November 2015
Pretty good work place for the most part. Co-workers are amazing! Just avoid 2nd floor in building 1 if you can, its baaaaad news. I learned a great deal and made a few life long friends in the process.
very healthy work atmosphere
French editing, writing and revision consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario27 September 2015
Nature of work is objectively very useful and gratifying.
Colleagues are most helpful and friendly.

One of the best employments I ever had in all my career.
Pros
team work
Cons
- nil -
federal government contract
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON18 September 2015
Duties included design and development of internal web site and supply design work for conventions and tours. Was also part of a number of committees responsible for planning events that were held throughout Canada. Some design projects completed includes manuals, calendars, post cards, larger formatted posters, annual reports, monthly newsletters, and a number of smaller projects. Other responsibilities included coordinating all out sourced printing projects with local and national printing companies and also managed small printing and supply budget. Also responsible for updating intranet site at main office. Was also responsible for 500,000 for the communications department
Productive and Team player
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Canada23 July 2015
I am friendly and like company of my friends. I believe in mutual respect and helping in work if there is a need.
I learned about building houses, and energy savings.
My coworkers are great and there is no politics or disrespect among us.
So far I did not encounter hardest part in my job.
Every day is enjoyable day.
fast-paced, challenging
Upgrading Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Devon, AB18 December 2014
Everybody working in my department was extremely helpful. A great place to learn about the oil and gas industry, I got the chance to participate in on-site visits. Worked in the project management side of things.
Pros
Relatively flexible hours
Cons
Mentor could have explained better
Typical day at work
mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2014
Everyday a new task need to be done. We had to input the Canadian Buidling Code into the CandQuest software and run the software for the results. that was a very interesting job because you have to find the error and the reason in case the software fails.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Contract job not secured
Productive and a fun workplace
Social Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2014
I was a research assistant with the social science team at the Forest Service. At the beginning of my term I was given list of papers which I was required to annotate in addition to other assignments which I received during the course of the contract. The hours were flexible as long as I completed the required hours within the term period and my supervisor was extremely understanding when it came to time off due to personal or school purposes.

I mostly read and annotated the articles provided and conducted other searches in the middle to give myself a break from reading. I was given my own office and my supervisor mostly left me to do my work with little to no supervision. However, he was always available when I needed help understanding something. Furthermore, he edited my work once it was complete which helped me not only improve my writing skills but also gave me an opportunity to discuss the research to gain a better understanding of the subject matter.

Overall this was a great learning opportunity!
Pros
the cafeteria had amazing food
Cons
sometimes reading such technical papers all day became very difficult