Natural Resources Canada

Natural Resources Canada Employee Reviews

Canada65 reviews

environmentlotworkingenjoygreatdaypeoplegood

Productive and fun place to work, with other students that work there, there is a great sense of camaraderie and a good work-life balance

work at your own pace, have deadlines and weekly meetings to discuss progress and further development. Lots of conferences that can be attended to, to learn skills.

Long hiring process, little opportunity for advancement or permanent position

Canadian Forest Service. There is little opportunity for advancement in the technician stream, which is a longstanding issue. Good place to get experience as a term, but indeterminate positions are rare and it's more a matter of luck to get a permanent position. There's little planing for filling or bridging into retirement positions, even though many will retire soon. It can take 6 months+ just to get through the hiring process. The work is enjoyable and I work with some great people.

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great work-life ballance

Cons

Very little room for advancement for technicians

Insights into Natural Resources Canada

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Good job

I learned a lot in my time with NRCan. I have nothing negative to say other than it was a big change from the private industry and may not be for everyone. Much slower pace. Great collaboration and knowledge that is freely shared.

Pros

opportunities to learn, people

Cons

slower pace than i was used to

Friendly environment with ample resources

I so enjoyed working at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre for Natural Resources Canada. They provided an incredible amount of resources and learning opportunities, coupled with smiling faces and great conversations. Everyone can learn, grow and succeed here!

Pros

Free seminars and workshops

Cons

Contract work

Busy fast paced environment

Nice team and very collaborative. Most management members are supportive and open. There can be very tight and unrealistic timelines for some deliverables.

I worked only 2 months and was very short period and they could not extend the program because of the budget .

I was not happy in that place . I was hired through agency for short contract at end of a one year program . The program did not extend and I lost my job . They were happy of my work but the attitude of the manger and some of the colleges were not friendly at all.

Excellent Employer

Opportunity for continous learning and for advancement Great networking Super People to work witn Jobs available across the province of Ontario Links to many partners

Awesome experience

Excellent group of people, would recommend to everyone. Great work life balance, team is really understanding. Not a lot of room to move up but there are many position available in all of the government so if you're looking for a change, you have many options.

Academic setting

This is a research focused institution and as such the staff is focused on producing meaningful publications. This can lead to frequent shuffling of project goals and constant battles for funding but is overall a great place to work.

Great support team to work with. Truly one of the best working atmospheres I have had the pleasure to work with.

Job was to assist one of the assistants for directors of foreign affairs in arranging payments (Accounts Payable) for Travel and/or Communications & Travel, ie; cell phones, extra cell phones or conference calling as well as air flights and cab or limousine pick up. With other accounting assignments within the department.

A good employer but doesn't have the scientific vision it once had.

It's a government job with excellent benefits, lots of very bright co-workers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much scientific vision at the senior management level, and there isn't the commitment to make resources available for scientific research that characterized the GSC thirty or forty years ago.

Fantastic place to work for Staff are friendly and management cares for the contractors Very busy place to work, barely any downtime which is good so days go by fast

Productive, calm environment

I enjoy it because I enjoy the type of work I'm doing. Hours are relatively flexible, independence to move projects forward, ability to use multiple different skills. Allowed me to apply my education background so it doesn't feel like a waste.

Challenging workplace

We never know what to expect since this is a call centre environment and the reason clients call is really broad. Some calls can be challenging , which make the place good to work

Great experience in Data collection and lab work

This experience allowed me to develop the skills I needed to be successful in the field as well as proper lab etiquette. Working towards the mitigation of Ontario forests against invasive species was rewarding and fulfilling.

Great worklife balance

Great exposure to private and public sectors including research and development projects in the oil and gas sector. Position also strategic in contributing to the government's mandate towards cleaner energy production and distribution. Fun workplace, great work life balance.

Pros

Job security

Cons

No growth perspectives

Not very challenging

the ob was not very challenging and I didn't really learn much. I kept asking for more work to do and i was given none. I was only in charge of research

Busy, productive

With being a one man department the daily task change and one has to be willing to adjust and make a priority list daily. Daily challenge with not only this location but with dealing with Ottawa

Management can be very difficult at times

A typical day at the office would be preparing budget forecasts, salary forecasting, purchasing, creating contracts normal day to day office administration, replying to emails etc.,

Too bureaucratic and hierarchical

too many limiting factors, most employees have been working here for decades, very limited vision, lethargy and challenging management. Great teamwork for some projects, depends on the personality of the manager.

Pros

nice hours

Cons

limited creativity and growth

Challenging work environment

Work day consisted of 12 hr shifts, 7 days/wk, 6 wks in, 3 wks out, working in Resolute Bay. Very challenging yet rewarding job, coordinating all logistical support (primarily airlift) to deploy and recover scientific researchers to and from their research sight(s) throughout the Canadian High Arctic. Truly fascinating learning about the various research activities being conducted throughout Canada's High Arctic.

Pros

Colleagues, Clients, free room and board

Cons

Long hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural Resources Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement