Natural Resources Canada Employee Reviews

A good employer but doesn't have the scientific vision it once had.
Petroleum Geoscientist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 December 2019
It's a government job with excellent benefits, lots of very bright co-workers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much scientific vision at the senior management level, and there isn't the commitment to make resources available for scientific research that characterized the GSC thirty or forty years ago.
Productive, calm environment
Client Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2019
I enjoy it because I enjoy the type of work I'm doing. Hours are relatively flexible, independence to move projects forward, ability to use multiple different skills. Allowed me to apply my education background so it doesn't feel like a waste.
Challenging workplace
Service Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 September 2019
We never know what to expect since this is a call centre environment and the reason clients call is really broad. Some calls can be challenging , which make the place good to work
Great experience in Data collection and lab work
Forest Ecologist/Entomologist (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON12 September 2019
This experience allowed me to develop the skills I needed to be successful in the field as well as proper lab etiquette. Working towards the mitigation of Ontario forests against invasive species was rewarding and fulfilling.
Great worklife balance
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2019
Great exposure to private and public sectors including research and development projects in the oil and gas sector.

Position also strategic in contributing to the government's mandate towards cleaner energy production and distribution.

Fun workplace, great work life balance.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No growth perspectives
Not very challenging
Statistical Clerk (COOP) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 August 2019
the ob was not very challenging and I didn't really learn much. I kept asking for more work to do and i was given none. I was only in charge of research
Good experience
Policy Analyst - Industry and Economics (Former Employee) –  580 Booth Street15 July 2019
A very secure institution to work for however opportunities for advancement are very few in this department. Salary is decent but transparency with the organization is lacking.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
lots of bureaucratic red tape
Busy, productive
Senior Storekeeper (Warehouse) (Current Employee) –  Devon, AB27 May 2019
With being a one man department the daily task change and one has to be willing to adjust and make a priority list daily. Daily challenge with not only this location but with dealing with Ottawa
Management can be very difficult at times
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario22 March 2019
A typical day at the office would be preparing budget forecasts, salary forecasting, purchasing, creating contracts normal day to day office administration, replying to emails etc.,
Too bureaucratic and hierarchical
Commercialization Agent (Current Employee) –  Varennes, QC4 March 2019
too many limiting factors, most employees have been working here for decades, very limited vision, lethargy and challenging management. Great teamwork for some projects, depends on the personality of the manager.
Pros
nice hours
Cons
limited creativity and growth
Challenging work environment
Logistics Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2019
Work day consisted of 12 hr shifts, 7 days/wk, 6 wks in, 3 wks out, working in Resolute Bay. Very challenging yet rewarding job, coordinating all logistical support (primarily airlift) to deploy and recover scientific researchers to and from their research sight(s) throughout the Canadian High Arctic. Truly fascinating learning about the various research activities being conducted throughout Canada's High Arctic.
Pros
Colleagues, Clients, free room and board
Cons
Long hrs
not bad
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 November 2018
I was just an intern student in when I was working there, unfortunately, there was no payment for this position. People working there are all nice, and if you want to do some research, it will be a perfect organization.
lovely people to work with
Assistant to the Travel Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 October 2018
I loved working with the staff in the department I worked in. The office culture was open and inviting to anyone new. We had a few lunches out to bring us closer as a team. I would love to work there again.
Pros
great office culture
Cons
no parking readily available
Research Facility
Forest Geomatics, Physical Scientist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 October 2018
Generally positive work environment. Good people and both interesting and challenging work. Excellent benefits. Flexible working hours and remote working options.
Pros
Interesting challenging work.
Cons
Poor IT support (Shared Services Canada)
Really Depends
RESEARCH ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2018
It really depends on what you want out from the job. Dependent upon working group, things may take longer than you would like to complete due to certain circumstances.
Great Government learning experience
Junior Financial Management (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2018
I got to understand all the basiscs of Protect A and Protected B material, understood naming conventions of uploading material on a GCdoc like application. I shredded papers and gave my mentor all the changes to graphs and designs to the graphs and tables.
was great employer for time I was employed
Contract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2018
I was on a contact position.

the managers in charge did the appropriate contracts and scope of work quickly, thus making payments efficient.

Management was very amenable to my schedule and arranged meetings to accommodate my schedule.

very receptive to advice and guidance I provided
Pros
knowledgeable management
Interesting Situation
Programs and Delivery Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2018
The Director left, the chief was relieved of their duties and as a contract/temp I get the shaft and my contract was renewed because no one knew where things were left in regards to the negotiation of my contract. Too many changes too soon.
Short Term contract - Good Experience
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 April 2018
Overall the job was good, the people nice and the working conditions were good. The hardest part of the job was the work politics and some of the management styles. It was a short contract so did not get a chance to build strong relationships or obtain further extensions.
Diverse work opportunites
Various Roles (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2018
Working at Natural Resources Canada is enjoyable overall. The Federal Public Service offers good pay and benefits, and opportunities to work in diverse subject areas and work environments, from office buildings to laboratories.
Pros
Good pay and benefits if you have an indeterminate position
Cons
Hard to move around or up if you don't have French