Native Counselling Services of Alberta

Native Counselling Services of Alberta Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
Service providing industry is fantastic, good people trying to be the change! a lot of great connections and training available!
I really enjoyed this enviroment. This was a good friendly enviroment. I really enjoyed this experience. I used safe cleaning procedures during the Covid 19 pandenmic.
Left NCSA with confidence and a strong ability to advocate for anyone in need. NCSA taught me the valuable lesson of thinking and working outside the box, doing more than your job description entails if necessary for the benefit of the client.
LOW salary does Not match the cost of living in Alberta or high traffic workload, not to mention quality of work expectations from management is not priority as, all they are concerned about are the endless STATS that have to be submitted( note: quarterly would be ideal due to time restraints) and high volume of poeople, they’ll even have the court clerks pull you out of court to leave clients on their own just to do unscheduled stats submission,
Poor ethic
This is a family run non for profit organization with very poor office moral and management. It has a very high turnover rate for new employees as the company has very poor organization skills and designation of work and assignments. Certain employees get a lot of lenience for work issues because the CEO doesn't want to cause a hardship for his employees which then causes problems and complaints from the management who are not happy with how situations are handled. The admin staff are never properly screened and there seems to be a revolving door of new staff every few months.
Pros
Parking
Interesting
Knowledgeable

There was a bit to take in when it came to family law. You have to be professional at all times, lot of information to receive and adjust
I have and continue to learn a lot about the aboriginal culture
Management team really cares about you as a person and is there to help if needed

The agency team as a whole is very friendly

The hardest part is helping others deal through tough situations, but its also a part of the job and you have a great support team behind you

The most enjoyable part is being a part of a big family
Working for this employer was great in many ways. We were always able to put our family needs first.

There was so much training through the company and never ending availability to improve yourself and further your education.

Several people I worked with were so incredibly wonderful, however; because this company has been educated on the injustices toward native people in Canada and some of these employees and management staff have had there own very difficult experiences with racism toward native people, there is a very underlying and ongoing resentment toward non aboriginal people.

I most enjoyed the educational opportunities

Hardest part of the job was working with children who's lives were very sad and difficult.
Pros
Excellent opportunity for education and training
Cons
Alot of resentment and racism toward non aboriginal employees
NCSA is essentially a PR organization that exists primarily as court assistants. They publicize themselves as Aboriginal icons creating change based on authentic indigenous history and teachings. The basis of Aboriginal spirituality and morality is lost within the politics of this organization. The company has the three top executives related (husband, sister, wife) and this seclusion is reflective of the entire organization. They are the only Alberta company in this field void of partnerships with any outside organization. NCSA is among the lowest paying, and with the poorest work ethics and upholding of policy I have witnessed in the province. There is a deep lack of morality and victim mentality that has kept this organization from progressing beyond its legal standpoint and professed public image. They have wonderful success in the justice system and Buffalo Sage which stands apart greatly from NCSA, should truly be the future of the company. The board of directors is untouchable and out of communication no matter how hard you may try. Despite being documented by their own policy and demanded via accreditation, the board of directors is impossible to contact. If you are in good with the upper management a blind eye is turned to the most deplorable and unethical of practices. The organization is managed and governed by personal friendships and relationships, and this is the true reflection of NCSA beyond any laws or policy, and far overshadowing the beauty of any true Aboriginal culture.
Pros
They have done excellent with Buffalo Sage/justice system
Cons
Highly unethical and underpaid
Very busy place to work. Spent most of my time at the courthouse, meeting with clients and representing them in court. Completed monthly reports that included a summary of my month and court outcomes, lists of the charges that my clients were in court for. Completed monthly maintenance reports for the office.
Pros
independant and self directed
Cons
very heavy client load, management were constantly adding new responsibilities.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Native Counselling Services of Alberta?
NCSA is a great place to gain valuable work experience, especially for First nations people looking to further there Career in the Criminal Justice Field.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Native Counselling Services of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5