Nations Fresh Foods Employee Reviews

Fast pace, busy environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canada30 April 2018
The days are very busy and fast pace. You don't get time to relax and take a breather. They expect too much from their employees. Some days we don't get proper breaks.
Pros
$2 off food if you buy during you break
Cons
busy, not enough worker
A nice place when I had a lot of fun working.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
Working there was very nice for me because it was my first job here in Canada. The job wasn't difficult and I love cooking so I worked with great passion and desire. I learned a lot of new ways how to communicate with customers and who to work under pressure.
The hardest part of the job were cleaning and filtering of oil machines. I did the cleaning of oil for almost every day.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was when the customers were impressed and they gave good feedbacks.
meh
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 January 2018
good for hours but it was a terrible place to work. management has no idea what they're doing absolutely no proper training the only upside was some cool co-workers and that's about it you didn't even know if you would get your cheque on the payday before your shift was over.
good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2017
working at nations fresh foods is not very bad in fact it is pretty good I liked working there for the time that I did I had a great manager and the store taught me many great things.
Pros
free unch
Cons
smells
Baddd
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2017
Job work/life balance: great, they let you book days off if you need to, they let you choose if you'd prefer morning or evening shifts.
Salary/benefits: NO benefits, and you get minimum wage.
Job security/advancement: nothing is secured there, everyone is vulnerable because they're afraid of losing their job. We're all replaceable.
Management: managers dont care about teamwork and doesn't know what leadership is.
Job culture: Seems like a great environment to be in if it wasn't for bad leadership.
Pros
You're guaranteed full time hours.
Cons
Not guaranteed a long term job.
Good
Salad Station Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 June 2017
Nations is not a bad place to work the management is great. I found it hard being a minority at this place of employment because most of the people that work there are Asian or Chinese. Sometimes it felt to me like they treated their employees better then the Canadian employees.
Many hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON4 June 2017
Chances to make money as there are high number of hours. However, a number of employees don't spea English very well, making it difficult to work and communicate
Pros
Lunch discount
Cons
Cultural issues
It's an okay job
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 May 2017
Typical day at work would be to clock in, wear a uniform, ask the manager what to do. They have no respect whatsoever for the English speaking employees, treat them very bad. There's always free lunch and dinner for the Chinese workers and they can do whatever they please. but if you're not Chinese they discriminate you in every way you can think of. They monitor you. Example : They always ask what you're doing, to make sure you're doing something, tell you the same thing everyday.
I'd recommend this job only if you need a bit of cash and to do it part time.

Cons
Manager complains at for not pretending to do stuff, literally. You have to pretend to do work so your manager doesn't get in trouble with the store manager/owner,
Language barrier since there is a strong Chinese culture present They don't train you
Pros
None, No free lunch, not allowed to talk
Cons
Rude manager, Rude Chinese co workers
Not a bad job.
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 May 2017
Not a lot of room for advancement, a lot of "busy" work. If you're not trained to actually keep busy and make a decent wage. You dont get any security. So you feel like people are competing. And I don't feel like that's how a job is to be. I want to be a meat cutter. But i'm left on tedious duties. Maybe because I dont care? Maybe because i keep showing up with a smile. But i think if you work hard and do your best. You should be able to feel safe that your job is kept.
Pros
Decent hours.
Cons
You get complained at for not pretending to do stuff, literally... You have to do stuff like clean windows 3 times in an hour to "look" busy, maybe just train you to cut and keep you properly busy but dont wanna pay you for it...
Don't respect the employees and don't pay enough
Employee (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 March 2017
That's the worst place that I worked in my whole life. They don't respect the employees and don't pay enough, the managers are rude. If you work there, you are not allowed to have a personal life.
Pros
No pros at all
Cons
long hours, don't pay enough, managers are rude
Continues work with few brakes
Customer service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton Ontario15 March 2017
If you want to be hired quick go to nations, they will take just about anyone as a cashier. guaranteed full time at minimum wage. very fast paced and has a high turn over.
Pros
lots of work
Cons
language barrier since there is a strong Asian culture present
Extremely bad attitude by the manager for everyone
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2017
Extremely bad attitude by the manager, who don't know how to behave and respect with employees.
Everyone is talking rudely at workplace like the manager.
Pros
Cons
Extremely misbehaved manager.
terrible overall
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON17 January 2017
Fast paced
Rude customers
Unpaid training if you quit before your 40 hrs.
Lack of training method.
They want experienced cashiers because they're lazy to train.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2016
good workplace
flexible schedules
excellent co-workers
Excellent place to demonstrate the customer service skills.
Love to work at this place
I have learned as how to deal with customers and make them happy
challenging
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON28 June 2016
is a significant experience for a job to learn about the food and beverage career environment. It is a daily busy work force that gains leadership and teamork. It takes tremendous vitality to work on basis full time schedule. A job one can do with patience, teamwork and mutual understanding for customer service in food and relations with compassionate behavior and responsibility.
Nations Fresh Foods
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 February 2016
A typical day at nations includes setting up the line fridge for the day, cooking french fries, cooking fish n chips, cooking popcorn chicken, keeping the work and kitchen area clean,

Management overall had a bad attitude towards generally everyone.

The coworkers were good to work alongside with.
Pros
easy to travel to, convenience of picking up groceries
Cons
management having a bad attitude
Nations Fresh Foods
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 December 2015
Co-Workers were a pleasure to work with
Management was a little troubling at some points
This was my first job, so I learned customer service.
very good
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 October 2015
I really enjoying working here, learnt lots skills which could not have access to from the book. A good place to start the career.
good challenge
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON25 April 2015
Create an environment where every associate is challenged to develop and grow. Maintain a safe work environment. Create and maintain quality relationships with customers, vendors, team and other entities within the organization.
Never Again.
Supervisor & Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 October 2013
I am so happy I am no longer at this establishments. It is a health and safety NIGHTMARE and no one in any management areas speak English. Due to lack of training and equipment a coworker cut off all his fingers in a meat grinder and the meat department was NEVER SHUT DOWN. So many people there are working illegally, 10-12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week and only paid 3-4$ an hour.

It is a disgusting, unethical place that needs to be shut down. Avoid it like the plague.