Nations Fresh Food

Canada66 reviews

Clear
2.4Pay & benefits

hourlongbadcustomermanagercoworkersplacelot

If you need a job you can go

Coworkers were nice. But it's a boring and repetitive job. Beside one 15-min paid break, there were no other benefits. And I had to stand for the whole time and it was very busy.

Pros

Salary to pay the bills

Cons

No benefits, long hours of standing, super busy, no career advancement

If Superstore was set in China and ran by women

This place reeks of favouritism. Management has a problem creative a toxic work environment for their employees, a lot of politics are present. There is little to no progression within because the hierarchy is run by people kissing up to each other. The only positive notes are that customers are generally very friendly, and the owner responds well to availability changes and wage “increases”. Would not recommend working here unless it’s a stepping stone to something better.As the last reviewer mentioned, it does feel more like a high school than a job. Anyone who unironically peaks at retail isn't worth the time nor brain power.

Pros

Easygoing customers, flexible shifts, consistent raises

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, toxic work culture

Insights into Nations Fresh Food

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energizing work tasks

Fast paced environment, job was often stressful and long hours.

During my time there, it felt more like a high school than a job. If the manager did not like you as a cashier, you would be stuck at the last belt next to the exit-- during the winter time, you would perpetually get sick due to the doors opening on you with -30 weather. Pay was low as well, in my over three years of working there, I only received a 25 cent wage increase. Its a good place to work if you need work, they will always have the hours, but if you have an opportunity to leave for a job with equal pay, I highly suggest you do so.

Pros

as many hours as you want

Cons

terrible management, low wages, snobbery.

no perks and low salary

this place was paying me low salary and some workers there are pretty rude. they speak mandarin and talk bad things about you so that you don't understand. I don't recommend working here...

Cons

no perks

Fun place to work

Friendly employee, fun place to work, very convenient to travel. Near by at my home. Great food service, very easy job and you will learn fast. Not very hard to understand the rules and regulations

Pros

2 dollars off for lunch

Cons

Great job enjoyed pay was much low no incentive to push few little things but overall loved the environment would go back if was better pay due to cos

Beautiful place enjoyed pay was to small to survive with cost of living basic minimum wage an when I had worked there it was before minimum wage increase so I was making like 11$ nice store good environment

Good Place to start for students.

Hours and pay are good for students. Good place to get experience but not a place to stay for long. Other reviews are wrong about management. Management is fine, just the CEO are very toxic, don't do anything, just comes yell at us on his way out for a smoke break.

Nice place to work

Worked for some time now, Got to be one of the first ones to work there. Came in early to work, and Could give some more of a raise since am experienced.

Not recommended

I met a lot of nice people of different race in this place but some supervisors are mean and lazy. It’s a good place to do part-time but a lot of people quit this place after a while and nobody last in this place mostly because of the salary or the people managing the place.

Hostile Work Environment Including Sexist Management

I wouldn't recommend anyone working here! Management was unqualified and would give family and friends raises even if they were undeserving. Also, the staff is racist and sexist.

very busy

good management and co-workers, very busy, nice environment, good food, good shifts, flexible schedule, learned how to work under pressure, long tush hours

okay pay, terrible hours and management

it wasn't a terrible job. i was able to save up for a laptop and other things needed for school, but the treatment i recieved from management and hr was enough to make me leave. first of all, i was a high school student attempting to balance extracurriculars and school work. i gave them my availability and they literally scheduled me for my availability. being naive about working part-time, i let this slide and my grades slipped so much. when i asked to cut down on hours they barely did anything and i was still working lots. the salary is fine you get paid minimum wage, but for some reason, they don't do direct deposits so it was kind of a pain getting your paycheck. the management was always really rude and passive aggressive to workers of non-Asian ethnicity, even if you weren't bad at your job. There were a couple of great managers, but my experience there was mostly overshadowed by pricks. my coworkers were mostly great and it was a diversifying experience.

Pros

good coworkers

Cons

bad managers

Productive and fun workplace

Productive and fun workplace with free dinner for the employees. 10-20 days paid time-off is possible. Hours are flxible in this company. Management encourages employees to take leadership roles. Team building and group work are fostered in this company

Pros

Free dinner, gift coupons

Cons

Short breaks

it was a good place a work at

it was a good place to work at, especially since I had a friend who works there which makes working a lot more enjoyable. I also made other friends working there. My manager was also such a nice person to be around with.

Pros

Cons

waste food

Fun work place

Usually, work on the weekends where it is very very busy, there are no times in between to have a small break, sometimes going to the washroom and getting a drink seems impossible but we do have get two long breaks. I've learned more about people and their behaviors, dealing with money and how a supermarket works. The management is not the greatest, people can have slightly higher titles because they work more days and favoritism is huge.

Pros

Good choices of food

Bussy workplace

Stressful enviroment, bad managment, good location, good people working there, need to be multitask to work for them and high rate of people giving up of the job in less than 2 months.

Fast pace, busy environment

The days are very busy and fast pace. You don't get time to relax and take a breather. They expect too much from their employees. Some days we don't get proper breaks.

Pros

$2 off food if you buy during you break

Cons

busy, not enough worker

good

working at nations fresh foods is not very bad in fact it is pretty good I liked working there for the time that I did I had a great manager and the store taught me many great things.

Pros

free unch

Cons

smells

Baddd

Job work/life balance: great, they let you book days off if you need to, they let you choose if you'd prefer morning or evening shifts. Salary/benefits: NO benefits, and you get minimum wage. Job security/advancement: nothing is secured there, everyone is vulnerable because they're afraid of losing their job. We're all replaceable. Management: managers dont care about teamwork and doesn't know what leadership is. Job culture: Seems like a great environment to be in if it wasn't for bad leadership.

Pros

You're guaranteed full time hours.

Cons

Not guaranteed a long term job.

Many hours

Chances to make money as there are high number of hours. However, a number of employees don't spea English very well, making it difficult to work and communicate

Pros

Lunch discount

Cons

Cultural issues

Continues work with few brakes

If you want to be hired quick go to nations, they will take just about anyone as a cashier. guaranteed full time at minimum wage. very fast paced and has a high turn over.

Pros

lots of work

Cons

language barrier since there is a strong Asian culture present

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nations Fresh Food. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement