NATIONAL STEEL CAR Employee Reviews

Poor floor management
Lead Hand Touch-up (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 May 2018
Hire lots of people when orders come in then you work for 4 or 5 months then lay off comes around Christmas time. Paint shop floor management very poor and unrealistic good pay with peace work.
laid off
MIG Welder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 April 2018
always playing with peoples lives. laid off more than working, and when your working management is pushing you to work all the orders out ,if people stop working all the over time, than they might work a little longer
Pros
benifits
Cons
hot dirty dangerous
Good work experience
Welder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM25 February 2018
Working with welding steel cars using MIG welders, very fast paste, heavy lifting. Co-workers very friendly and good benefits, frequent lay-offs depending on orders
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too many accidents
Productive workplace
Paint Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 February 2018
Unionized company, good benefits, rotating shifts between days/afternoons/nights. Working on trains whether it be welding, painting, or finishing line.
welder
Welder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 January 2018
worked two shift was there daily and willing to work overtime. did a lot of welding that was my job description was welding metal together. was there about two years until 700 workers got laid of including me.
Good job
Welder/Machinist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2018
Good job until you get laid off. Make sure you get as much overtime is as you can in order to guarantee a spot on the call back list. Place can be safe despite everyone complaining as long as YOU work safe. Axel Shop for Life.
productive and organized
Painter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2017
This was a good company to work for, I kept very busy at work and we always ensured the safety of others while working. Although unfortunately I was laid off and this is the reason I am seeking work.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Too many lay-offs
Good place to work and friendly people
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 October 2017
I enjoyed working there for 6 years and met a lot of good people. I have nothing bad to say about that place except when it's time to get laid off you never know how long it's going to be.
Pros
More than to breaks
Cons
Long day
I enjoy the place
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2017
Its cool building rail cars. Frequent layoffs are unfortunate but when they have work, lots of OT potential and they have great benifets and pay well.
Pros
Good pay and benifets
Cons
Layoffs
Good job if it were stable
WELDER- Promoted to Lead Hand in April of 2016 (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2017
National Steel Car was fun to work for and i enjoyed it. I have worked there for 5 years, But even with lots of seniority It can be very unstable work with lots of temporary layoffs.
Pros
Benfits
Cons
Unstable work
Not agood place to work
Jig and fixture construction (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 August 2017
On a typical day one would first spend time looking for tools which were needed to start work. When these tools could not be found it would be necessary to use what ever you could just to make sure the line did not stop this often caused friction among the workforce .
Pros
overtime
Cons
work conditions
Good paying job for the work you do.
Welder/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 June 2017
The company doesn't require much to hire you and trains on site, with increase in pay by a lot after just a year with 100% dental and decent life coverage. Job can be awful depending on the building or boss you get, and a lot of the time foremans will sacrifice on safety if it means they can get the quota for the day but a job is a job.
Pros
Easy job if you work in the right buildings.
Cons
Bosses can dictate who they like more based on drug relations creating unequal bias in the company, work is terrible at times and bosses typically don't care for safety if the work can be done.
Fun Worplace
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 June 2017
its fun and productive workplace. the management is great. the hardest part of the job is standing for extended periods of time. the greatest part of the job is working as a team.
good job when your working
3G Welder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 May 2017
no job security at National Steel Car. when there's work there is a lot of work and they hire lots but as soon as the works gone so are the employees.
Pros
good pay good benefits
Cons
long and frequent lay offs
laidoff
Pipe Fitter/Air Brakes Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 May 2017
Job is great when your working until layoffs which then you never know when your going back, I had worked there before i returned in 2014 so i had a great relationship with management
Pros
the money
Cons
long layoffs
Very productive workplace.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 April 2017
Overall the average day on the job was a good learning experience, and though there wasn't much margin for error. More often than not there was just enough room to still make the odd mistake, and learn from it... with it being primarily peace work production. For the period of time I worked there when the contract was solid with plenty of months of work, it was good... but there is always the potential for lay-off.
Pros
Good hours, fair salary and excellent benefits package.
Cons
Week to week alternating shifts, Lay-off prone.
hard work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 April 2017
busy all day and can be very dusty. need to focus on production and focus on safety . need to keep an eye on workers . management is a team environment helping each other when needed
Always learning and hard working
Interior/Exterior Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 March 2017
i worked hard, and liked what i did, they had great benifits for my family, and that they where always saying i did good job and willing to teach me something new so i was able to move around and do different things, the hardest part of the job was getting use to shift work as well as my family, the most enjoyable part of my job was i was always learning and enjoyed it and provided for my family.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
laidoff a lot
Fast pace work
Welder (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 March 2017
Was very comfortable with the workplace environment. Enjoy the welding trade. I liked how everything was done as a team. Good vacation and great pat.
Pros
Regular breaks, lunch room
Cons
Out of the city
Unorganized and rushed.
Welder (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 March 2017
A typical day at work started with fixing broken tools, repairing other people's welds and rushing to make piece work.

I learned from Steel Car that money isn't everything. Rushing to get the job done can end in serious injuries. Not only that every weld I made on every car I did meant that I had someone's life in my hands and the environment as well. Typically well everyone was rushing and doing terrible work. I took the time to finish my welds and examine them so I could sleep at night knowing that I did my best and that my welds were done properly.
Pros
Pay was good.
Cons
Long hours, Rushed, Poor Supervision, Very old equipment and Not enough tools.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NATIONAL STEEL CAR. Our community is ready to answer.

NATIONAL STEEL CAR Reviews by Location