National Sports

National Sports Employee Reviews

Canada88 reviews
usually would work in the evenings from 5-10 with others around my age. had a meetings twice a day once in the morning before opening and the other meeting would be at 5.
Wonderful and inclusive work environment, workplace culture was warm and inviting, inclusive to new staff. Open and approachable management, overall a fun and face-paced workplace.
enjoyed working there, enjoyed talking to people, learned how to sharpen skates
all associates were great to get along with

management was ok, at times scheduling was not fair
The work place is terrible, the management is not any better. They make you so much extra work and don't show you any apparition. Some of the managers bully you into doing their work for them. They are short staffed almost all the time for you need to pick up other people slack. They randomly stop giving you shifts. I've worked there for over 3 years and its the worst job i've ever had. I would not recommend it, its not a reliable job, I've seen some people leave or just get there shift cuts. most people don't stay for longer than a year.
Absolutely awful as a female I was treated so poorly by the male co-workers. shifts were so hard to get covered the people were rude and made fun of other co-workers. Also would get in trouble for not knowing where something was after the company gave no training before being put on the floor. They put me on the sales floor without showing me anything. ABSOLUTELY AWFUL
A typical day at National Sports in the hardgoods department was get in and do the team meeting for around 15 minutes at the start of the shift. They call it a 'huddle', and essentially the manager that night will take you through their expectations and events that happened at work that week. After the huddle you hit the floor and sell product, keep your section organized and sharpen skates. At the end of the day you clean your section and the proshop and then you're good to go home. Overall, I loved working at National Sports.
Great place to work but moving up is tough. Managers don't want to work hard and just like to socialize. They treat the staff well though and is great for high school students.
You are constantly being given little jobs to keep you busy. But thee management is great and staff was very friendly. The employee discount was also a great bonus!
I would not have worked there for over 9 years part-time if it wasn't totally worth it. They will do their best to flex around your schedule, they are helpful and want you to succeed in your job.
My overall experience at National Sports has been great. I love the environment I am in. It is definitely a great job to have whether you're in high school or college. They give very flexible hours.
Management (some, not all) were immature and bullies. They did not understand the concept of life happens. Some people got special treatment due to family relations between managers and employees.
I had a great and very welcoming experience working for the National Sports team in Pickering. All co-workers are very friendly and management is flexible.
Work environment was awesome, everyone loves you there and you have fun while working.
Hardest part was the busier day sit was hard to manage fitting rooms.

Everyone is so understanding and forgiving.
The management absolutely sucks, no appreciation for the work done, lack of empathy and understanding. The only positive part about working there were coworkers, fun and easy-going people to be around with.
The managers are okay there are some that are rude. Sometimes you are not allowed to socialize with your coworkers. Overall an okay place to work at .
If you have a good understanding of the sports industry or are looking to learn more this is a good place to work. Casual workplace culture, people get along fairly well.
Being a cashier at National Sports required being very outgoing and having a flexible working schedule, in addition being very adaplatble is a pro when working there because sometimes you can switch from department to department.
Pros
A fun workplace
Cons
Gave me a shift a week max. Management seemed hostile, bad working environment.
I quit because I didn't get a shift for 3 months without any notice of being fired, etc.
Amazing atmosphere, very team orientated. The culture itself is very customer based. Room for advancement into another department. Management is very kind, understanding and fair.
Great place to work, filled with an amazing staff. I learned a lot about the new technology that is in new shoes, how it works and how it helps your feet
Great first job, the management is awesome, extremely flexible with student needs. For athletic people this is an entertaining workplace where there is always more to learn.
Pros
Easy going environment
Cons
Not very busy