National Research Council Canada

National Research Council Canada: 88 Employee Reviews

Canada88 reviews

governmentprojectlearnlotenvironmentteamgoodexperience

Work-life balance

All the people that I met are very friendly. And I definitely learn a lot from them. In my department, the instruments are old and they often stop working.

Pros

Good pay. Work-life balance

Cons

Old instruments. Slow-paced.

Excellent work culture

Great institutional culture. The management at IRAP was attempting to cultivate a truly collaborative team. Lots of opportunities to learn and to be part of something meaningful

Insights into National Research Council Canada

What people like
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment

Small, tight-knit team, relaxed environment.

I very much enjoyed working for the NRC. My manager was a kind and supportive mentor, my coworkers were welcoming and friendly, and the work environment was relaxed but dedicated. The work was not particularly challenging but I learned a great deal and I now regret leaving when I did.

Never bored with projects

It's a fast-paced environment where the need for highly skilled employees is important. This is not a place to work if you enjoy the sporadic meetings with long, forgiving deadlines. If you enjoy criticial and strategic thinking, autonomous problem solving, then this place is for you. Don't expect a pat on the back every week -- people are busy, so don't take it personally.

Pros

Access to interesting labs.

Cons

Slow with approvals.

A good workplace with a lot of work.

The majority of the work involved a lot of research and independent work. The job was difficult and did require extra hours and effort. Workplace culture is a bit dull as there are very few to no events and everyone just has their lunches at their own desks by themselves.

Supportive work environment

Worked at the NRC as a student lab tech. I did laboratory work for one research officer who was great and his training made me comfortable working on my own. Other research officers who I didn’t work for were also supportive and would teach me about their work. Everyone went above and beyond to make sure myself and the other students got the most out of our summer contact. Great environment for students to learn and develop skills.

Pros

Supportive staff, great training

Working at the NRC was an awesome experience. I had great colleagues and the work-life balance was good too. The NRC cares about its staff and supports as required.

Workload is non excessive, people are great

Great compensation and people, education may hold you back though dont let it deter you from applying. The work-life balance is easy to maintain and the location is great

Good place to workFlexible ManagementGood working teamsThe team was very kind for me and they learn me many things about servers management , SQL app, etc...

Impactful work

I enjoy working here and am challenged all the time. I envision spending the rest of my career at the NRC as long as I am able to reach the next level(s).

A top rank organization with high standards and a very rigorous recruiting process

The NRC iis a world class R&D organization with state of the art facilities and the most qualified professionals in the country. Management is competent and fair, but in the past few years the continuity of some important projects was unfortunately affected by political changes at the federal level in Ottawa. Despite this, NRC is one of the best organizations I have worked for, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Pros

Very sophisticated, highly qualified people, fair remuneration, excellent work environment

Cons

Excessive bureaucracy and expenditure rules, typical of government agencies

Not impressed with the management style, they spend all day long in meetings

It’s a government agency with many many policies that stop you from being very productive, if you’re happy with being complacent and being paid to not get much done then it’s a place for you. It wasn’t the place for me. Many lazy people work there, and when you are productive like myself you don’t make many friends working real hard at this establishment. People are very complacentTo get paid and not accomplish anything

Pros

Holidays, paid sick leave

Cons

No job security I had a permanent position and got laid off

Welcoming and diverse. Excellent community. Well-managed.

Work schedule is relaxed. Work done is more important than time spent. Quality and safety are prioritized over speed of output. Care is taken to ensure employees are informed of concerns regarding all facets of safety, ranging from physical through intellectual. Even ergonomics (often ignored by more corporate facilities) are closely monitored with yearly surveys and fund allocation. Safety officers are almost obnoxious in their efforts to prevent accidents of all kinds. Thanks to them, lab accidents are almost unheard of outside of minor spills.The hardest part was finding something productive to do while waiting for necessary supplies or incubations.

Pros

See review

Cons

Difficult to get permanent employment

Great Work Life Balance

Great Place to learn new things. Flexible timings Many Campuses Best Research Centre in Canada Comfortable work and people work with highly experienced people

Productive and interesting place to work for

The company does a lot of testing of Aircraft engines. It was an exciting and good company to learn in Instrumentation. The company still does ongoing research and its a great place to learn.

Pros

Go team atmosphere

Cons

Slow environment

Working on a team of professionals in order to develop scientific solutions that will further develop the country and make the lives of Canadians citizens and others better is great.

It was flexible, productive, good compensation

Literature search, design synthetic routes, apply those synthetic routes in the lab, analyzing those results, was the most enjoyable part of my daily job

Stable but not stimulating enough

Stale workplace - needs change to accommodate job growth and career development ambitions at all levels. Tends to be beaurocratic and over-administered.

Always new problems and great management

Management was approachable and very helpful. They made the group feel warm and welcoming for me and my fellow student employee. I had a pleasant time working there.

Great team of people at ARG

Had the opportunity to work with ARG on contract. Great group of people, with a fair management team. Would definitely recommend working here (if you get the chance!)

A stable workplace with good work life balance

NRC has a good work life balance and as a government job, is very stable. Administration and bureaucracy can be a bore sometimes though. Overall is a good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Research Council Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement