National Research Council Canada

National Research Council Canada Employee Reviews

Work schedule is relaxed. Work done is more important than time spent. Quality and safety are prioritized over speed of output. Care is taken to ensure employees are informed of concerns regarding all facets of safety, ranging from physical through intellectual. Even ergonomics (often ignored by more corporate facilities) are closely monitored with yearly surveys and fund allocation. Safety officers are almost obnoxious in their efforts to prevent accidents of all kinds. Thanks to them, lab accidents are almost unheard of outside of minor spills.The hardest part was finding something productive to do while waiting for necessary supplies or incubations.
Pros
See review
Cons
Difficult to get permanent employment
It’s a government agency with many many policies that stop you from being very productive, if you’re happy with being complacent and being paid to not get much done then it’s a place for you. It wasn’t the place for me. Many lazy people work there, and when you are productive like myself you don’t make many friends working real hard at this establishment. People are very complacentTo get paid and not accomplish anything
Pros
Holidays, paid sick leave
Cons
No job security I had a permanent position and got laid off
Great Place to learn new things. Flexible timings Many Campuses Best Research Centre in Canada Comfortable work and people work with highly experienced people
The company does a lot of testing of Aircraft engines. It was an exciting and good company to learn in Instrumentation. The company still does ongoing research and its a great place to learn.
Pros
Go team atmosphere
Cons
Slow environment
Working on a team of professionals in order to develop scientific solutions that will further develop the country and make the lives of Canadians citizens and others better is great.
Literature search, design synthetic routes, apply those synthetic routes in the lab, analyzing those results, was the most enjoyable part of my daily job
Stale workplace - needs change to accommodate job growth and career development ambitions at all levels. Tends to be beaurocratic and over-administered.
Management was approachable and very helpful. They made the group feel warm and welcoming for me and my fellow student employee. I had a pleasant time working there.
Had the opportunity to work with ARG on contract. Great group of people, with a fair management team. Would definitely recommend working here (if you get the chance!)
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at National Research Council Canada?
NRC has a good work life balance and as a government job, is very stable. Administration and bureaucracy can be a bore sometimes though. Overall is a good place to work.
Very nice and welcoming workplace with people who are always ready to help. Never a dull day at the office, there is always something to do or someone to help. Getting used to the system can be a little confusing but everyone is willing to help always.
I had a two-year contract and could not obtain permanence because my male collegue was 20 years younger than me, had lots of kids and jobless wife,both born in Canada, one kidney and schooled in Canada. When from two probationary only one gets to stay, it will not be the woman staying.
- IRAP in NRC is a Govt Agency but NOT a Crown Corporation. - So NO horizontal movement into any other Govt organizations to similar positions at an equivalent salary scale. - Job title and salary DO NOT necessarily translate into an intriguing work life, let alone a promising career path. - Workplace culture is poor, stressful and unproductive; consisting of repetitive tasks, incompetence and inefficiency. - A lot of micromanagement and emphasis on documenting and inflating every minute steps taken in order 'to show off' the amount of work done. - A large number of people at the later stages in their career, waiting to retire with no motivation to do something effective or cooperate to improve.
Pros
Salary, number of holidays.
Cons
Demoralizing, pointlessly bureaucratic, stressful, no career development.
While the workplace culture is typical of that of most government jobs, working at the NRC is highly rewarding. The calibre of the employees is top notch and the equipment available for use in testing is world class.
The work was interesting and varied. Subject matter experts were readily available, keen to share their knowledge and understood the role of the technical writer and how it contributed to the overall success of each team. Contractors were well treated, always included in meetings and made to feel part of the team.
Pros
See above
Cons
The working environment is great. Poor management, a lot of useless meetings, a lot of publications without many sense. My boss was not a good manager.
Colleagues and supervisors are knowledgeable, good opportunities to tackle large scale research projects. Too many mid-level management, bureaucracy and red tapes. Little communication between departments, no/little IT support, they cause more problems than solving. Lack of ambition. This is a research council and should do more research in public interest.
Everyone is friendly and helpful, you can learn and experience a lot from working there. You get to meet and engage in work with highly experience and intelligent individuals with a lot of previous experience.
NRC is a great place to work. They're very team oriented and understanding of the diverse backgrounds employees are from. Wish I was able to stay longer.
Working at NRC was a great opportunity of my life. I learnt a lot during my time at NRC both scientifically and socially. I believe that NRC is the best scientific place to work in Canada.
research institution that do not recruiting enough expertise. Low productivity in daily work, no significant publication on the field of studying. Poor manangement.