National Port Security Services Employee Reviews

Toxic Environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB26 July 2019
The job itself is security as any other, there are good posts and horrible posts. The ports tend to have more of an extreme difference between them. Colleagues are great when/ if you get the chance to interact with them. You can easily find yourself stood in the extreme elements all day while others are inside. Management make a lot of promises that are too good to be true. No schedule, you are called in a few days in advance, no guarantee of hours- some management will tell you different, no benefits- they were supposedly setting them up, you are asked to volunteer your time for 5 hrs a month for training, when you are hired you will be run around every few days to drop paperwork or pick something up or meet with someone for licensing etc, then you will be put into training with NPSS for a day and not paid, you will be put into orientation for the client and not paid, you basically spend a lot of time getting set up for them. Then they may not call you for weeks. I was in high hopes of this company being better than some of the less reputable companies in the city. I was wrong. If you are retired and not dependent on hours or any sort of schedule than this company may be for you. Expect to be paid at the low end of their posted pay rate. Part of the management team has a big mouth so don't expect your personal information to stay private. Uniform doesn't include pants or steel toed boot allowance. Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
No schedule, no benefits, volunteer a lot of time for nothing, can't trust management.
Friendly Environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE26 May 2019
National Port security services is a good company to work for. They care about employees, and try to fulfill the amount of hours promised to employees.
Pros
Pays well, easy
Cons
Not a healthy work environment.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE22 April 2019
While working at NPSS the schedule could change with minimal notice. Often you could work morning shifts and over night shifts in the same week, and sometimes a mix of days, evenings, and overnights.

Payroll is managed poorly. It was a regular occurrence for others and myself to have to fight to get paid what we worked, regardless if we had accurately reported out hours for the week.

Most of us completed a security guard course offered internally at Npss. We didn’t realize we were volunteering our time until after we were half
Way through the training and we’re told we weren’t getting paid. We were also told we completed this course, but only a few actually took the test.
Pros
Paid lunches, decent hours provided
Cons
Minimal training, mixture of day/evening/overnight shifts during same week, schedule always changing. No benefits, minimal chance for advancement, partially seasonal work, Raises hard to acquire, hard to trust management.
Very easy company to work for.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE10 July 2018
Friendly management, very accommotable to employees needs.
Medium paced environment in the office setting. Nice work load to fill your day. Some overtime needed.Great client base.
Pros
accommodates to employees schedules
Cons
no benefits
Working for NPSS was one of the most satisfying positions I've known.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE10 May 2017
Working for NPSS was one of the most satisfying positions I've known. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work environment. At contact time they tried hard but sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Pros
There's room for advancement and and they'll help you with scheduling when they can.
Cons
There were no benefits when I was there.