National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Canada179 reviews
Decent place to work but like all oil field jobs there’s really no security , you’re only a number . Work was decent and what I expected after years in the patch . The ppl I worked with were good guys though.
Pros
Decent job
Cons
Pay could have been better
it was a great job with many good people to work with. I learnt many things and dealt with great customers. Management was very supportive. The hardest part of the job was the long hours sitting in one place in an office with very little sun. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and employees.
This place is fairly decent for people with no experience, the wage is pretty mediocre but will increase as you qualify for training Perks ! One of the better oilfield companies
Pros
environment
Cons
pay
I was making the oil pumping system .
I was mounting the engine and transmission on the big trailer using the crane.

So I was drilling and cutting the steel plate ,I was tight bolt and nut .

sometimes I was cleaning the trailer.
Excellent opportunities abound to work abroad and other divisions for cross-training and internal development. A large corporation with a family-oriented approach within divisions and segments.
Pros
Cutting-edge technology
Cons
Cyclical nature of oil & gas industry
This place is a dump. The management is clueless and the equipment is junk. If you take pride in your job do not work here. The foreman of the machine shop and service shops are uneducated, inexperienced newfies and have no idea how to repair the machines hence why they constantly fall apart. I have never seen such garbage in my 15 years of centrifuge experience.
I was one of the employee on the National Oilwell Varco.\
It is nice job site.

I'm willing to recommend the National Oilwell Varco to the job seekers.
Receiving and shipping in National oilwel Varco is fast-paced job requiring to work 10-12 hours everyday. I like my job, because it teach me how to be responsible for receiving many parts and orders everyday and give me the full confidence to dael with many vendors and big market suppliers in the my town, country and in Texas USA.
My direct supervisor train me very well that I became independant after one week and capable to drive electric and poepane powered fork lifts.

The most enjoyable part in this company and in my new warehouse that they have a new table tenise table and rackets, so everyday I played in my breaks a lot of funny games and I made a good relation with my team members in the warehouse and the management.

The hardest part of the job that I have to find the required parts that have been required to builed the new Draw works and send it to the mechanical and electrical department as fast as I can with the health and safety hazards that I might face it from driving the electric forklift inside the narrow isles.
The Calgary Engineering team was great to work for and learn from. They have a great environment. Management was fun and flexible with hours and schedules. Prototype experimentation for knowledge gain was encouraged.
Great place to work in a high demand fast pace downhole tool rental company. Great team effort by all and all the support you could ask for to accomplish the tasks needed
It’s awesome to work with national oilwell varco I learn a lot,it’s a good management however there is a shortage of work right now and they can not keep us all to work with them...
Overall place is pretty good. The managment is professional and reasonable. Work life balance is good.
No wage raise for about 5 years. Benefits program and RSP ard pretty good.
I enjoyed working for NOV, pay was a little low, hrs were decent, nice nights premium. Look forward to the next build, I would totally return. Great crew....
slow-pace almost like a union environment too much red tape to get anything done office environment was fun too many layoffs because of the oil;patch crazy making
Organized chaos that seemed to work well. 6am start, then you work until you require help, get help and continue. Not too stressful as long as you try and get your task completed.
Great bunch of people to work with. work an honest day with some great people and the people that like to complain just walk away.its a good job, better then some other places i have been too
I enjoyed working at NOV for the past 8 years. however, due to shortage of work and organisational restructuring I was laid off due to shortage of work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor communication
Very nice management ,very good relationship with worker also long job they takecare of worker they don't give layoff without any reason always good there is always barbecue in the summer time also they probably give all tools to work, they give good benefits like seek leave , no harassment with worker from lead hand or supervisor in short it's very good company for work.
NOV is a great company. Had a long challenging growth environment and never boring. It is global, hence you have opportunity for international postings. Fast Paced and change.
When you get hired they try and pay you as little as possible. I know of 3 different people with a journeyman ticket with the same amount of experience and there is a $3 difference in pay.
great place to work and learn at any level as there are a lot of different products and divisions its easy to fit in , very large corporation so does take some time to get used to