National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Great place to start
Reception/Sales Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2018
I am grateful to have ended up where I was. My boss was amazing, my coworkers amazing. There is a wonderful team atmosphere and a strong emphasis to have people join the Ride to Conquer Cancer bike team.

My only issue is allowing difficult employees to be so. The most troublesome and pot stirring employees receive no reprimanding making work environments difficult while management just turns the other cheek.
Pros
Amazing management in the office.
Cons
Lack of initiative in dealing with difficult employees.
Cannot say anything bad.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
Cannot say anything bad.
Work load is not stable.
Shop activity is pretty well organized.
Spare parts available.
Benefits are average, not bad.
No bonuses.
Pros
Located in Calgary. The best engineering team, I have ever seen. Shop managers are honest peopleHard
Cons
Hard to get promotion.
good
HD mechanic (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB22 July 2018
good company to work for. Decent home life and work balance. Recamend this company to any one that is looking to start a career in the oil field. Learned alot
Pros
vechile
operations
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
I was tasked with the maintenance of the facility and given wide ranging authority to ensure steady daily activity in a oil rig manufacturing facility
Pros
authority
Cons
politics
operations
Mechanical/Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
responsible for many aspects, given full support and guidance, always a good place to work tons of growth potential and the scenery changed a lot for me
Pros
new challenge
Cons
politics
High productive company
Lead hand of inspector in QC department (Former Employee) –  6415-75 St Edmonton ab T6E 0T39 January 2018
This is a very good company. Good management team. Your performance will be perfectly recognized.
Every employee do their job hard and perfectly.
The Gig system they built is in a very high performance.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
long hour of over time
good place to work
Lead Production technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2017
excellent people , and good work enviroment for all the worker who work there, number one in safety , always taking care of their employees, multiculture place to work.
loved it
Industrial Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2017
I worked here for 15 years and loved it. i had great benefits and amazing co workers, i hope that when this time of lay offs end i can find a place in this company again.
Great company to work for.
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2017
Great company to work for , good management. Good salary and work conditions. Employees are very diverse from trades to office staff. Company has a vast knowledge in the oilfield
A good place to start
Assistant Shipper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2017
Has good environment, if you find the people who fit your type of personality or course, management doesn’t bother you too much, although they will be all over if you mess up majorly.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
Politics
Fast Paced Industry
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB1 November 2017
It is a fast paced industry. Dealing with the ongoing changes of the oil and gas industry. I have had plenty of different responsibilities in my last 6 years employed by NOV. I have worked on the shop floor and have done multiple different administration tasks.
Better learning environment
Salesforce Developer/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Alberta24 October 2017
This company was the place where i have gained most of my knowledge over salesforce, initially the hardest part of job was to maintain the pace of work later got better with the help of my team lead.
Very Lean
Senior Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2017
Very 9-5, make sure you show up ready to work a solid 8 hours, as we all should.

Being a supply industry when things slow down then cuts are made, usually, the easiest cuts are employees.
Stab you in the back for brownie points culture
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB17 September 2017
From the payroll manager to the people processing, it's all about stepping on the back of anyone in front of you to try and make yourself look better and the HR manager helped foster this atmosphere at every turn. They did not ask questions, they accused you and then did not apologize when they were wrong. Typical oil and gas mentality.
Pros
Close to home, good pay
Cons
the people
Supervisors will Belittle you
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 August 2017
If you want to be forced to work illegal hours every day in a high stress environment this is the company for you. They will work you to death and hide it from safety. The supervisors will belittle, threaten and torment you. They are miserable degenerates.
Pros
Hmmmm
Cons
Terrible work environment
changeable workplace
Quality Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2017
flexible workplace, too many changes in management and decisions , no clear system, need a lot of work, wages not within market ranges.
easy working day if you are experienced.
Company likes to hire experienced persons with lower wages, but there is a very good chance for learning with low work pressure.
most likely all training are internal, and there are very few chance for external one's.
no clear policy for annual raise or review.
huge variety of products, and application
workplace culture, varies from place to place.,
not safe place to work, too many changes may happen in one year.
company has a good documented management system on papers
Pros
flexible working hrs
Cons
sometimes you have to work long hours
Does not value individual effort
Document Control (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2017
The corporation does not value or reward individual effort and often rewards connected people over skilled people. Salaries are on the lower end of the competitive scale, with little financial or positional advancement opportunities over the years.
Pros
Benefit Package
Cons
Low Wage
Great Place to Work
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 July 2017
NOV is a great place to work for a younger crowd with young families. They are very flexible with scheduling and hours.
All the employees are very helpful and willing to train providing ambition is shown to learn.
The hardest part of the job for me is the commute along with the current shift. My commute is just over an hour long and my work day starts at 5 am.

I have learned more about the inner workings of downhole tools which is a great addition to my current knowledge of the practical application of said tools.

Overall great place to work.
Wonderful people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB25 July 2017
Wonderful people to work with and for. Opportunity to work anywhere in the world. Social activities for employees and family and abundant. Awesome place!!!!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Job security not so great
Excellent benefit package!!!
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB20 July 2017
The salary and benefits were excellent for my position.
Opportunity for advancement and education is quite good.
Professional work environment; clean, organized, well maintained.
The company is pretty good at ensuring you have what you need to do your job effectively and efficiently.
Overall, I LOVED working for this company. I was able to perform a variety of tasks, take on new responsibilities, experience some wonderful opportunities (ie; Oil & Gas Trade Show, Golf tournaments etc)
The down side is that it IS the oil and gas industry so you do not always have job security. I was sure I would retire with the company, however, with the downturn in 2013, there were thousands of layoffs, and unfortunately, I was one of them.
I would go back to my position with the company immediately if I had the opportunity.
Pros
Excellent benefits and salaries
Cons
Can be very stressful!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

National Oilwell Varco Reviews by Location