National Defence Management reviews

Prison.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON4 January 2017
There is no more dishonest place I've ever seen. Jobs and promotions based on back-door deals. Crooked people on both the civilian and military side. Because of union, civilians are protected from such things as drug testing, which could easily be used by certain parties to compromise the security of the place. Find addicts and spouse cheaters common place around the base. The work culture features a bunch of people who end up hen-pecking each other until relationships are truly a game of Spy VS Spy. The amount of work accomplished compared to the amount of money spent is truly pathetic. 90% of it could be contracted out for cheaper.
Excellent Job for Students
FOS 2 Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS19 October 2016
The hours are great, though a six am start time is not always admired. I received my schedule a month in advance, which allows for easy planning. The management is great - stern but polite. My co-workers are very nice, and the job pays well. The only down-side to the job is that my pay goes through the Phoenix Payroll System. My pay is over a month late.
Productive and fun work place at DND
Records Management Specialist – Contract (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 September 2016
There is always work to be done. Learning new things is endless. Management is okay. My co-workers are great. My hardest part about my job is that I don't know if I am going to have a job after my contract is up. My most enjoyable part of my job would be working.
Productive and fun place with military and civilians!
Senior Costing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
A fantastic place to be employed, the synergy between military and civilian talent is brilliantly managed by the Senior Management.

I have grown as a Professional significantly, through well thought out and planned talent management and support systems.
Pros
Great people, environment and ethos
Cons
Concentration of jobs are in Ottawa
Very enjoyable Atmosphere
Contract Services (Management) (Former Employee) –  Canada13 January 2016
Every day was very busy, however, with the Training, Education and overall Team Work from Management down to the Dock Associates, and fellow peers, we've accomplished our daily task and brought smiles to our Customers with on time Deliveries.
Pros
Trainng, Education, Knowledge, Management Skill Level.
Cons
Nothing Negative
Great military experience
Video and Image Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2016
It's great being part of a team, learning off of each other, helping out with issues before letting others speak to a supervisor that might be trivial. Management its not the best, but work is work. There would be times when work gets switched from being done to redoing what has been done to a new method of doing things. Though, as long there is work, I pile through it.
Pros
Seasonal activities, charades, pictogram, order of the pie
Worked as a Civilian employee with a military/reservist
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK10 November 2015
Developed excellent organizational and time management skills

Answered customer inquiries, both in person and over the telephone

Composed and typed letter, forms, reports, memorandums Faxed and filed documents

Opened, sorted, stamped and logged in mail; distributed correspondence

Photocopied information; used fax machines Assembled and maintained files

Booked appointments; scheduled room usage for meetings
Productive and great place to work
Supply Tech (Current Employee) –  Hull, QC5 November 2015
I really like working as a Supply Tech/Release Section Clerk. The people i work with are awesome,can't complain about them at all, best team ever!

The management team here is the bomb as well, you can go to them with anything and they'll help you out, no matter what
Pros
everything
Cons
dungy basement
Fast-pace environment with many twists & turns to keep you busy!
Secure Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON29 October 2015
First of all, I have an awesome crew working for me. We are tasked daily to support customers with computer and network needs. My team and I can troubleshoot and solve most issues with minimal impact to users.

Management can be hard to please at times, but we do get along and understand the needs of the department.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with forces beyond our control where our projects are stalled due to bureaucratic red tape or the fact that our deadlines are not realistic.

The best part of the job is having customers forward comments to my managers giving my team credit for the hard work they put in to resolve issues.
Pros
Lots of hockey
Cons
Writing many memos and evaluation reports
Good place to be and a lot to learn from
Supply Proc & Analysis Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2015
Very unique environment to be working in, specially because of the nature of the work. Varies from national security work to data analysis inorder to provide information up the chain of command to improve the internal business processes. A lot of variety of work from IT, to Finance to Material Acquisition to Supply chain work. All the listed above including the management of public's funds and assets to the best value and outcome for Canada.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
long turn around time
Work atmosphere
Power Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2015
The work atmosphere is great for learning when working around open excavations and heavy equipment. There is a great amount of experience in supervision and the management side, whom are all very willing to help if needed.

The equipment and materials supplied are in good working order to ensure that safety and success are priority everyday of work. There was always room for advancement and further education.
Pros
Great friendships
Cons
Lack of trades courses
Challenging and Rewarding
Imagery Technician Public Affairs (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta10 January 2015
There is no career more challenging or rewarding than to serve in the Forces, where Canadians take part in defending their country and participate in world events that will change their lives and the lives of the people they are helping.

The Forces offers outstanding debt-free education, as well as time-management and teamwork skills. The Forces is one of the only militaries in the world that ensures women are able to work in whatever job they choose.

What you learn from leadership (management) mainly is teamwork and have each others back, that no matter who the member (co-workers) is or where you work with or where they are stationed that working as a team is the most important to getting the mission done. The camaraderie and team spirit are considered by many members to be one of the main benefits of life in the military.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to travel the world, experience different cultures, meet new people, and use state-of-the-art equipment wherever they work.

Hardest part of the job is saying good bye to your loved ones and not able to tell them when you will be back, the long extensive times away from family, finding last minute childcare, stress of being away from family when they need you.

A typical day is rare in the military as one week it could be 7:30-3:30, then the following could be 5:30 until midnight or 3:00am for 5-30 straight with no time off. There is no consistency as emergencies come up.
Pros
Travel, Overseas experience
Cons
Never paid for overtime when working 16 hour days for months on end.
Challenging employment, Job security, learning and travel
Marine Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 December 2014
Every day was different, from one rank to the next one. As a sailor I did travel to various country for supporting the United Nations, NATO and multiple task/deployments for Canada.

I did learned a trade that as multiple trades included to it, I went from maintainer to supervisor/coordinator. (fire fighter, plumber, woodworking, habitability, welder, bulk fuel handler and others).

Working in a small section, both management and workers has to be as a team to complete different tasks or exercises. It was a friendly working environment.

The jobs where challenging and different from one day to the next.
I did a lot of travelling, see a lot of countries and met a lot of friends.
Army Life
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB22 August 2014
A typical day in the Army was wake up at 630 gym for 730 for an hour workout, then get dismissed from gym for your next timing and show up for role call then get morning orders. after orders we would break off into our sections and and carry out our daily routine orders.

Ive learned a lot about team work ,camaraderie, loyalty and professionalism and time management.

As for co workers Ive learned that you only work fast and sufficient if you can be approachable and professional and get along well with others , if not your morale will decrease and work efficiency will lack, people get complacent and miss things and safety becomes a factor. Ive seen it first hand what can happen if there is low morale.

The most enjoyable part of my job was doing what no one else wants to do and doing it good.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
War
Security and room for advancement
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 August 2014
On a typical day I would start with a morning parade then the crew would head out for maintenance and repairs. The management was delegated through rank structure so everyone had a specific job or persons they might manage. I worked in a crew because much of the work was a multi person tasking, creating strong friendships. The hardest part of this job was the time away from home and the long hours. The most enjoyable part of that job was the many people I met and the deferent places I travelled.
Pros
security
Cons
lots of time away from home
Management was hard to work with
High School Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 August 2014
Didn't have the most enjoyable time there. Management and other co workers did not give me the respect i felt i deserved.
Pros
union
Cons
many people were hard to work with
Great work environment with great people
Compensation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2014
As a casual employee my typical day consisted of culling files to be transferred via protected B status. Maintained all drop filing and shredding of sensitive documents. Light receptionist duties as computer work. I was always treated fairly and with respect by management and co-workers.
Wonderful place to work
Service Desk Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 June 2014
An average day at work, with the Canadian Armed Forces, is highly stressful, but nothing compares to the satisfaction of knowing you've helped protect your country, and those that live in it.
Every day is a learning experience.
Management, on the local level, is the best I've ever had the pleasure of working with. My co-workers are highly trained, with each having their own area of expertise. Combined, we manage to provide support to the highest degree possible.
The hardest part about working for a military establishment, is the loss of friends when they're posted to different wings/bases.
The most enjoyable part of working with the Armed Forces, is meeting new friends, and providing the military with the highest level of support possible.
Pros
Highly supportive work environment, opportunity for training, possibility for advancement when available
Cons
highly stressful
DND has been a great employer
Plumbering Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS7 May 2014
A typical day would start with scheduling any immediately required work to employee and tasking the rest of the staff to required duties. Once the staff are tasked I complete the time sheets for the previous day. My morning paper work also includes ordering of materials and the paying of invoices from the mail. I would then review incoming work and provide estimates on cost for both materials and labour for management to further review. In the afternoon I visit work places to ensure all work sites safety regulation are being enforced and that the work is being done in an efficient trade like manner. I am often called to trouble shot problem areas as well as assist inspectors in Defense Construction Canada.
Pros
Working with Military Supervisor of limited trade knowledge
Cons
Great place to work with great co-workers and work activities
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2014
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3