National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Found 2,161 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,236 reviews

The methods of collaboration allowed therapist to learn anf share skills, client cases and also build new skills

I enjoyed working with the forces personnel. It was a unique mental health experience with a culture that that was different from the civilians. The soldier clients offered a unique understanding of adjustment from tours to home life

Pros

Testing facilities and collaberative work

Excellent employeur

Stimulant, un des meilleurs employeurs que j'ai eu.

Pros

Formations

Single people only

If you are single then have no fear, this is the job for you. If you have a family, they really don’t want you. You have to provide a solid family support plan, long times away from home, heaven forbid if there is a family emergency.

Pros

Free travel, clothing ie uniform free.

Cons

Long hours, a lot of away from home.

Exemple environnement agréable

Je suis fière de votre part merci beaucoup de m'avoir accordé cette occasion

Defi et realisation

J’ai beaucoup aimé etre dans forces armée et je le recommande a tout le monde et meme de le mettre le service militaire obligatoire aux décrocheurs et aux jeunes qui ne savent pas quoi faire de leur vie, leur donner un minimume de discipline ,apprendre a RESPECTER son prochain , leur apprendre tenir leur personne et environement propre et leur faire apprendre un metier sans leur donner les formations aux armes

Pros

Équipement, environement, sécurité d’emploi

Cons

Superieurs des fois incompétent

It's better than most regular jobs

I spend 6 years, made a lot of friends. Great place to learn many stuff. You can advance quickly if you puts in a lot of effort. The pay and benefits are great for what you do. But long hours and travel do make me miss my love ones. The management is slow to adapt because they have to be conservative, everything is about preserving the organization's security and safety. Don't expect too much change because conservative approach is always the safest (may not be the best).

Pros

Free dinner and breakfast if you work overtime overnight

Cons

Long hours and Terrible medical system

I had a great experience

Served 31 years, ups and downs like any job. Learn life and professional skills. I do recommend the forces for trade skills, you will travel and after 20 years, good pension.

Pros

Job security

Cons

War zone deployment

Milieu de travail stimulant

J’ai bien aimé mon expérience au sein des forces armées canadiennes. C’est un environnement stimulant tant sur le plan physique qu’intellectuel. Les stages et les cours d’étés furent marquant et m’ont permis de voyager dans le Canada et de me faire de nouveaux amis.

Terrible Politics, Bad management however..

Theres not enough room here, Its good training, teaches you alot! Great benefits and does have room for advancement. If youre okay with poor leadership, and are just there to collect a paycheck then its the right job for you!

Pros

Salary, time off, benefits

Cons

Postings, boys club, management, politics, illogical in many scenarios, policy

Do it

If you're looking at this then you're considering joining the CAF it literally changed my life I own anything that I want the pay is handsome because the lifestyle is hard it's not for everybody you might be gone for months at a time but you also get two months off a year it's very challenging but you'll have hundreds of best friends and pride in what you do.

Pros

Respected uniform paid days off opportunity to change your life and have a career

Cons

Away from home for months postings three years until pay gets good

Waste of time

Definitely a waste of time, the work atmosphere is toxic, you will not get promoted unless you are in clicks. You will not be treated with respect no matter how much you do for others, or what you have been through. If you are not in the 'boys' club in the organization you will not go anywhere. They will not be tolerant of your religious beliefs and they will not care.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Too many to tell you

Excellent career of 28 years

I joined in 1987 and left in 2015. It was an amazing journey as I travelled the world on many continents. There were full of surprises and lots of sports. I got to meet and work with different people as well as being fully bilingual. The only downside was to keep a relationship while being posted everywhere.

Pros

Daily sports

Cons

During tours, very long hours

Challenging, exciting, pushes you to find your ohywical and mental weaknesses.

It was a blast for 13 years but the chapter has ended for me, I recommend anyone out of high-school with uncertainty with what they'd like to do in life to try the CAF out. Schooling opportunities and a chance to be apart of tradition and see the world.

Cons

Not a stable life Ie. Moving around quite often etc.

Get paid to get your trade, and paid well thereafter. Travel the world, make a difference where you may otherwise not. Learn discipline and how to operate as a team.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Possible frequent moves

Experience

I originally joined the Canadian Armed Forces because of a lack of a better term, direction from a parent. I loved the basic training so much so I was selected Top Cadet as a Combat Medic with 2nd Field Ambulance. The education, training at a young age was not appreciated until later life, when I transitioned into policing. Pay is not the greatest at lower ranks, but they do try and support. I recommend those who want world experience, very good international skill sets and a comraderie that will last a life time.

Pros

edcuation, training, comraderie

Cons

pay

Unprofessional company

Was treated very unfairly by higher chain of command. Forced out and forced to retire early with no just cause. Pay should be better for what you do. Major backstabbing to get promoted. If you try your best they fail you at your job. You play their game but they dont play fair back, like to twist their own rules. Never will be apart of this government agency ever again. Do not bother joining unless you want a ruined life.

Pros

Cons

The whole shimmazle

Very Demanding work environment,

Canadian Military provides a platform for members to develop skills, receive in-depth training and opportunities not available within the civil community. Working within the military environment is high stress, physically and personally demanding with long hours and time away from family.The process for advancement is guarded by an old boys network where it is who you know, if you fit within their profile, whether you are liked or disliked.

Pros

Develops Character, Honesty, Integrity, self esteem

Cons

Old Boys Group

Ok place to work

I wanted to switch trades after I didn't want my former job and it became a nightmare. They said the trade was lock. Some training course are fun and rewarding but can be a pain if you get a stick trainer

Pros

Free lunches once in awhile

Cons

On call all the time. Hour can vary from early to late

Uhh

I got yelled at a lot? Not a big fan. The money and pension is nice but the strain on your mental health and body isn’t. I left because in reg force they talk to you and treat you like you’re the scum of the earth. Apparently once you’re out of training they’re nice to you.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Verbal and mental abuse

Incredible place to work, lots of opportunities for advancement and higher learning

Working with the Canadian Armed Forces will give you back whatever you put into it. If you work hard and pay attention and constantly strive for better jobs/career advancement opportunities. They will then put you on the track to achieve your goals and help you along the way. It can be a very physically and mentally demanding job at times, but it is also extremely rewarding.

Pros

Great benefits, great pay, the best learning opportunities available

Cons

Long hours (especially during training), can be very physically and mentally demanding at times

Bon

En général c'est de tres bonne expérience. L'experience est totalement différente entre la réserve et régulier. en temps que régulier, il faut faire pas mal de sacrifice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3