National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Excellent Employer
Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canada19 January 2018
Excellent opportunities for career advancement and plenty of training provided to improve technical abilities. Strong emphasis on safety and completing the mission.
Cadet Officer role
Cadet Instructor's Cadre (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 January 2018
A rewarding and challenging position with a strong sense of fulfillment involved but much of the role is voluntary and only pays well in the summers. But enjoyable
A experience
Resource Management / Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2018
Although my time within the military was limited, the amount of knowledge that was taken from the experience is limitless. It changed me as a person, thought me to value life and helped me find the courage to live it to the fullest.
Pros
The people you train and work with becomes family
Cons
Absence from the family at home
A great experience overall
Pension Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2018
Daily work life was not stressful, we had good management, an understanding team that took into account a work-life balance. I was challenged with something new everyday, so it was never boring. Very happy to have worked there.
Part of cadet summer camp
Glider Staff Cadet (Former Employee) –  Gimli Industrial Park, MB12 January 2018
Part of Royal Canadian Air Cadets which is a subdivision of DND, not actually a part of it. I dealt with junior air cadets and some members of the forces who are sworn in to the military, I myself am not part of the military
Challenging and Rewarding
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2018
A career with the Canadian Forces will challenge you in ways that help you to grow and deeply understand what it is to serve others. This kind of growth would be difficult, if not impossible, in any other career field. The best part is that all of this happens while serving your country and those less fortunate who find themselves victimized by natural or human caused disasters both in Canada and abroad.
Resilience is the key
Reservist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 January 2018
With motivation and resilience the training is achievable. It is not for everyone but you will learn discipline in all the tasks that you accomplish. It may be hard to balance with a personal life but being organised will help.
Pros
Lunches are covered depending on training
Cons
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Special Advisor to Director of Cadets (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2018
A typical day at my work consists of overseeing the implementation of a number of recommendations made by the SSAV Report (2017) as it pertains to the selection, training, and employment of the training wing personnel charged with overseeing the development of the Officer Cadets attending the Royal Military College Kingston. In addition, I am also overseeing the review and implementation of new rules, regulations, and procedures affecting the day to day life of the Officer Cadets as well as their Professional Development. I meet regularly with Senior Leadership of the College but am afforded the latitude to manage my work day/week on my own. As the implementation of the 59+ recommendations requires a lot of coordination, I routinely meet with College personnel of all ranks, military as well as civilian academics (including the Commandant and the Principal) to confirm direction, seek input, and ensure a smooth transition. .
Over 35 years of service, I have learned that I will get out of my work as much as I put into it - RMC is no different. My experience with management is that the vast majority of military leaders and senior public servants are highly dedicated and focused people. I have learned to adapt to my superiors' style as well as the conditions (security, safety, resource constraints, etc). The Canadian Armed Forces are a great place to work. It is a culture of learning where one can reach his or her full potential. The hardest part of the job (military career) is the impact the frequent moves and separations have on the family. However, the lifestyle also presents
  more... tremendous opportunities and unique experiences which the whole family can benefit from.The most enjoyable part of being in the military is the camaraderie and team work.  less
Pros
Endless opportunities
Cons
Impact on the family
Hard life out-weighed by the many perks
Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON10 January 2018
The military is a well disciplined force focused on the protection of Canada, its citizens, and its interests. The perks such as paid training, health and dental care, low income housing, and travel.You are able to retire with full pension after only 25 years. Strong bond between members of the military family and devoted people who look after the families of deployed members.
Pros
Great benefits and opportunity to travel. Paid training.
Cons
Personal life takes a back seat to the needs of Canada and its people.
Working for the GOC
Cook (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON10 January 2018
It's a good representation of community, no matter what walks of life you may or may not lead. In saying that it is best for more available options for one to stay single and not have any relations with a fellow service members or civilians.
Pros
salary, benefit, brotherhood, pride to represent country and name
Cons
Miss key moments in life
Challenging, rewarding and excellent team building.
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2018
The Canadian Forces allows you to achieve what you desire in regards to improving yourself personally and professionally. You will be challenged in your role, you will face everyday situations that are difficult and unique, but rewarding in their challenge. You will become adept at working in groups as well as individually.
Conducting exercises and operations can be difficult at times, as they can be under difficult conditions and hard on family at home.
Pros
Character building
Cons
Distance from family and home
Excellent career progression potential
Officer Commanding (Current Employee) –  Lazo, BC9 January 2018
I have progressed greatly since being in the CAF. have been able to be promoted 9 times and progressed from lower worker to senior leader in 22 yrs. learned a great deal including a trade and there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy a social and athletic balance while working. Hardest part of the job is relocation
Pros
ability to see and do things people would normally not be able to in their lifetime
Cons
frequent moving makes home life security difficult, especially with post secondary education for dependants
No life like it
Military Police (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2018
Joined as an eighteen year old and worked through various different challenges which helps to develop your maturity and knowledge. You were always on call and you worked for your country which makes you proud.
Pros
Makes you develope
its a lifestyle
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Canada8 January 2018
review, its the military, you need to serve to get it, brothers and sisters in arms forever. its not for the weak at heart or mind. so think long and hard before you try it.
une vie plus difficile
Signals Officer (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC6 January 2018
Un emploie intéressant au début mais sans possibilité de promotion où d'une carrière interessante
Pros
training
Cons
carrière
Great environment
Boatswain (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2018
Amazing people, great environment, very fun,it would be great to get paid a little more then we do currently, very respected and professional work place
Pros
fun
Cons
low pay
fun place to work and travel
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 January 2018
Decent spot to work, probably the most chill job you could ever ask for. I often would go to work at 8 and leave at 10. Just sucks you are stuck in Halifax. Could end up sailing for months on end tho.
Great life time experience
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 January 2018
Upon arriving prepare for an inspection. After we separate into our different trades. As a Vehicle Technician we usually take-apart vehicles and put them back together. I mainly learn on repair vehicles.Its a serious environment but everyone is extremely helpful and fun times are always had. The hardest part of the job is that it will push you past many limits, but once you pass those limits you realize the only thing that's holding you back is yourself.
Pros
Learn many skills
Cons
No sleep
fun and loads of adventures
platoon staff (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB2 January 2018
the department of national defense is a really good experiences for anyone looking to gain skills and meet amazing people.i got to some really exceptional things.
Pros
adventure and always changing
Cons
early mornings
Forces.
Transportation Representative (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON2 January 2018
As a member of the civilian work force employed by the Canadian Armed Forces, I have a duty and responsibility to the crown to remain in good standing to this country. I take pride in my past career and draw heavily on the valuable life skills it has provided me.

Working in a team organisation for the better part of my adult life has become second nature.

Taking pride of ownership in the service I provide which helps reflect in a positive manner to the employer.

To list a typical day working along side our finest men and women is next to impossible because no two days are ever the same. The only way I can sum up a typical day is to apply the necessary skill for the problem at hand, to achieve the desired outcome.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3