National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

Working at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces: Employee Reviews

Canada2,366 reviews

Found 2,366 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,446 reviews

Amazing

Nothing bad at all. Amazing part time career to build experience for a main career. Tests your limits, builds character and compensation is worth it while you’re done your mandatory courses.

Good team work and looking after each other

I loved everything I've done at the caf. It was good experience attending the caf And been a part of it I've learned a lot. I would like to take the national defense department for this opportunity.

Pros

Free lunch

Insights into National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Bad culture

Bad culture, bad leaders. Lack of respect through out the unit . Pay is minimum for the hours you put in during excercises. Not recommended unless you are a poor student.

Hurry up and wait

Salary is good, sometimes it’s very stressfull, sometimes you won’t do nothing for weeks, but still you get paid. Lots of time for physical training during works hour( 2 hours per day )

Pros

Nice pay

Cons

Not at home few month/year

Great

You’ll meet great people whom you will share hardships with and get the job done. You’ll gain experiences that will help you gain confidence and strength.

Toxic work culture.

Overall, not a great place to work. Military life is not for everyone. Your often posted to units in the middle of nowhere, or somewhere completely unaffordable. Institution lacks support for members as the mission comes first. Toxic work culture.

Pros

Vacation time, medical benefits.

Cons

Can take up to a year/two years to receive an offer, Toxic work culture, Pay does not equal what you would make in the civilian community for a similar job, Lots of time away from home, Not everyone is treated equally.

Pays the bills

Depending on your trade it is all or nothing you are either working days at a time with little to no real breaks or waiting around for months at a time for something to happen

Bon environnement

Sentiment de groupe et d'appartenance. Beaucoup d'avantages et de congés.

Pros

Travail variable et intéressant

Cons

Difficile pour la famille

Good benefits but no work/life balance

Only apply if you're young and single, this job will ruin your personal life. You will spend most of your time away sailing and when alongside you will be fixing 30 year old equipment that should've be replaced long ago.

Pros

Good job security

Cons

Always away from home, toxic leadership

Great for travel

Love my career with the CAF. Great pay for the amount of work you actually do. Do lots of research prior to joining so you pick the trade that is perfect for you.

Complex hierarchy

Hard to adjust due to extreme bureaucratic systems and processes. It is very hard to understand the big picture and things change quickly. A lot of deficiencies in the internal systems and procedures. Out-of-date.

Pros

Training

Cons

Lengthy and complicated system to work

Brief description of serving in the military

typical day at work can be between 5am to 11pm. You're completely trained in whatever trade you apply for. management is hit or moss you may have excellent leaders. you may get incompetent commanders. The culture is heavily ran by men who are stuck in an old culture of it being a boys club. Harassment is common place. the job can be physically demanding and can demand virtually months to a year away from home. Kiss your family life goodbye when you join the forces.

Pros

Benefits, job security

Cons

Log hours, Dangerous work, poor management

loved my years in the forces

after you get through the 13 weeks of terrible in basic its becomes awesome. after your weeks of getting yelled at lack of sleep and overall bad times you start your career and its awesome. lots of travel opportunity

Pros

good pay

Cons

no choice of work hours

Improvement and high income

Is when the work increase income through improvements on goods and service when the labor force isn’t willing and determined to work hard to contribute to end good productivity

They are really working to improve culture

I'm always impressed at my units ability to keep their staff educated about trauma, violence prevention, emotional support and safety. They are working very hard at changing the culture.

Nothing else like it

The pride and sense of camaraderie you get from wearing the Canadian Armed Forces uniform is unmatched in any other career I've ever had. I've learned a lot professionally.

Pros

Too many to list

pretty good

pretty decent place if you are a fit. good people to work with, sometimes get to do some fun stuff. the training can be tough though but its part of the package.

Can be tough yet rewarding. Decent job security, benefits and pay.

After six years of being a combat engineer in the CAF, I have no regrets enlisting as a non-comission member. I have the best and worst memories of my life with the army. At the end of the day, it is what you make of your career.

Pros

steady pay, job security, benefits

Cons

expect almost no deployments for combat arms ncms

Great teamwork and mental development opportunity

I’ve loved working for the CAF so far, only complaint has been paperwork as it sometimes gets misplaced in the reserves; otherwise it has been a fantastic work environment and I look forward to continuing my career

Miserable Place to Work

Enlist in the army only as a last resort. You are there to be abused. The Loudership and Bureaucracy is arcane. The salary does not keep up with housing prices. People are digging in to their savings just to be able to work. We have families with double incomes working 2 jobs.

Pros

Federal Benefits

Cons

Long Hours

Couldnt have Asked for better

great place to work and proud to have worked and spent sometime and wish I could have spent more time but I cant physically do it anymore. Could not have asked for a better place to work but now its full of snowflakes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement