National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Not just a job
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2018
Be careful and realistic about your own abilities before you choose a military occupation. I recommend for the person with an ability to suffer hardship without complaint.
Constant Change
Financial Support (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON16 June 2018
Data Entry from many sources. I really have become part of the team, but also the. Government machine. It took a very long time to get a working computer system. that was boring.
retired
Kitchen Manager CFB Shearwater (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 June 2018
Amazing place to work, but work life balance an issue. I worked with a lot of amazing people and enjoyed my time greatly with the military. I had a chance to see the world and gain invaluable experience.
Pros
The people
Cons
Work life balance
Helped me to develop and use skills in the electrical field
ELECTRICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB14 June 2018
I worked out of the CE building amongst other civilian trade personal.
This contract position helped me to develop and use skills in the electrical field.
An interactive and learning atmosphere
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 June 2018
the day to day requirements can keep you busy when not attending complaints or emergencies. constantly working with members within and outside of the trade make the job enjoyable. continuously meeting new people and learning about other peoples career helps me understand how they do their jobs.
Challenging workplace which builds character
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB11 June 2018
I joined the Primary Reserves while in University for part-time work and since then have been trained in a career I wouldn't have imagined for myself.
I have had the opportunity to travel across Canada to participate in exercises and training, meet people, and grow.
Professional work environment with great salary but needs structure changes
Defence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 June 2018
National Defence is a great place to work for those seeking a steady 9-5 job with a great starting salary. Might not be a great fit for those seeking purpose in their work however as there are too many layers of management to get a sense of impact. Career progression follows more or less a one-size-fits-all philosophy with the exception of executive management which seems more like something out of Game of Thrones. Carling Campus is a beautiful work environment however with lots of natural light, forest views and sports facilities. Overall, this could be an extraordinary place to work but the work culture and management structure have to join the 21st century.
Pros
Great salary, benefits, secure job
Cons
Low job satisfaction, outdated management structure
Did not suit my temperment
Military Photographer, (Imaging Technician) (Former Employee) –  various locations, Canada9 June 2018
While the military is an excellent workplace for many people, I am not one of them. I did it for 25 years and mostly due to very few other options as I had no education and no money. I have since moved on and while happy to receive compensation from Vets affairs in terms of education, received no compensation from the military itself. I do have a pension but remember I worked for it. I would not write this review but see no way to refuse to do so in this process.
Pros
travel and live in many areas of Canada
Cons
they own you 24/7
Difficult
Ammunition Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jean, QC6 June 2018
All weekdays we would wake up before 5 am and have classes and/or physical training until on average 5 pm and then we would do our laundry,shine boots,clean weapons,clean quarters,study, prepare for morning inspections. I have learned basic military first aid, "fire fighter training", harassment policies, and much more in my 4 months while at my basic training. The hardest part of the job was being away from family for so long when the day to day was always so difficult. But the most enjoyable part was making friends that i will have for the rest of my life.
Pros
making strong bonds with other candidates
Cons
punishment physical trainging, long hours, and sometimes very short meal times
productive
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Gagetown, NB6 June 2018
Challenging, engaging, teaches you interesting skills. Helps you to become more organized and mature, disciplined and goal oriented. You'll learn the value of proper communication and how all elements must work together to achieve a goal. There is only one catch. You must want it yourself. Army gives you the tools and the ways to use them. If you are lazy, you must want to actively change that yourself and not …
Enjoyed all contracts with DND
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 June 2018
I have enjoyed all contract with DND. Always enjoyed the tasks and projects. Always enjoyed working with the staff - military and civilians. Hope to work again for DND.
Pros
Loved the work and staff and locations.
Cons
No job security so far.
C'est plus un mode de vie qu'un emploi
Soldat d'infanterie (Milice) (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QC3 June 2018
Entrainement physique,
Apprentissage des divers armements à usage militaire,
Aventure en terrain de combat simulé,
Apprentissage de la technique de survie en forêt,
Entrainement de mouvement de parade,
Compétition sportive et à caractère militaire,
Discipline et respect des loi hiérarchiques.
Pros
Tous les points sont positifs
Cons
Risque de développer un désordre psychologique pour certaines personnes
Ok
General Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2018
Travail et milieu très structué et dicipliné
Reconnaissant por le travail bien accompli
Rewarding Opportunity
Training officer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 May 2018
I thoroughly enjoy my Job. The position asks a lot of my time, however the results are fantastic and the people I work with are amazing. A very rewarding opportunity.
Great place
Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2018
The military was a great place to work. I served my country, while literally travelling the world.

Performing mechanical work on Airplane was always stressful, because simply put, you can't make mistakes. You just can't fix an airplane when it's at 40,000ft in altitude!

I have worked with wonderful people, wonderful leaders throughout the years. Of course, like any company, some people were not so great, but my attitude was: 'I take the best, and dump the rest'. And it has served me well.
I would certainly recommend anyone who doesn't know what they want to do in life, to join the Canadian Armed Forces.
Read summary below
Armoured Crewman (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2018
I cannot legally give you my personal opinion of the Canadian armed forces. It is a very fun job and I quite enjoy working there and is great for character building.
Love working here
Armoured Reconnaissance Military Driver (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB28 May 2018
Great job, with lots of opportunities. Always challenging and requires good team work among soldiers. superiors are always there to help and guide you when needed.
awesome experience
sodier (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls, NB27 May 2018
I loved serving my country and being a soldier. I traveled all over the world and protected innocent civilians and we kept peace in foreign countries. Loved it
Over all it gives some solid foundations
MILITARY DRIVER M113 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
Great place to get real world experience. It is not for the faint of hart there can be some hardships. You should be sure you know what you want out of this experience
A workplace like none other, for better or worse.
Infantry (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 May 2018
Interesting line of work, long hours, minimal pay when working those long hours and a very different work culture. A constant love/hate relationship, can be some of the easiest work in your life to the hardest in a snap. Although I had fell out of love within my first couple years due to the culture, it had provided me with some good training, very unique experiences and a realization that it was not what I wanted to be doing as a career.
Pros
Work varied, could choose taskings, unique work experience.
Cons
Long hours with minimal pay, work culture is not entirely great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3