National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

LEGAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISANT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2018
Great place to work, tons of perks and great people work here. Definitely recommend. Benefits are great, they over gym programs, self help programs, you name it.
A well-run organization with a proper work-life balance.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2018
This was probably one of the better jobs I've ever worked at which had some guaranteed job security and also allowed for developing new interpersonal skills in areas I'd previously had not seen myself in accomplishing. My work colleagues and managers were also some of the best people to work alongside and work for and were also there for me when I needed to tend to a sick family member and had to ask for the occasional time off to do so.
Pros
Great work-life balance and great work colleagues
Cons
The occasional long hours but nothing too major
Monumental potential, however opportunities are slim.
CREWMAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2018
I learned quite a bit about myself while I was in, however the teaching I got regarding the job was often vague depending on the instructor. Morale affects every rank from the ground up, and can mean the difference between a good day and a horrible day for everyone involved. The places you can go are awesome, the courses are endless IF they every present themselves to you. There can be great honor in a CAF career, however it comes at a cost. You will never truly be free.
Fun workplace and friendly people
Roads and Grounds Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 October 2018
Good place to work, friendly people, always busy. Best part of the work day is all of it because everyone is so enjoyable to be around, no one is rude or condescending.
Review
Telecom Technician cable installation (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 October 2018
Productive and fun workplace with Skiing, soccer,volleyball,tennis and team work, I learned ability to prioritize and complete multiple task, problem-solving and decision-making skill
Great place to gain knowledge and experience
ADMINISTRATIVE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 October 2018
I am proud to have been a military member for ten years and I would recommend it to anyone. It may not be the greatest pay but it is a great experience.
Pros
Knowledge, experience, travel
Cons
Postings, pay
infantry man
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 October 2018
working to the canadian military is the best choice i ever made in my life, when i join i become a bother of a huge family who are willing to help with anything.

join the military it is the best choice
best job I ever had
Hull Technician (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 September 2018
biggest family that a person could ever ask for. like everywhere, good bosses and not so good ones but everything works out in the end. where else can you travel around the world throughout the year and get paid and have fun.
Good place to work for experience for future career
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Developed a lot of leadership qualities. This is one of the only jobs in the world were you get paid to do anything from going to the gym, playing your favourite sports and firing and maintaing sophisticated weaponry and equipement.
Pros
Free foods
Cons
Have to be able to work in all weather conditions.
Challenging and ever evolving environment
Information Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 September 2018
The Royal Canadian Navy is a very unique employer. A person can be given opportunity to work in a multitude of different environments. Including tours at sea in a warship and ashore in an office setting. The work can include long stress and challenging conditions but a person is afforded the opportunity to gain a real sense of accomplishment from life in the Navy.
Pros
Stable employment and ample opportunity for career advancement
Cons
Multiple tours at sea without adequate decompression time ashore takes it's toll.
No control
Artilleryman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario24 September 2018
Not a bad job if you don't mind moving a lot. You have virtually no control over where your career goes, if they need someone to be a radio operator but you want to be a driver guess what? You're a radio operator. If you have a kid who just started school in New Brunswick but they want you to move to BC, you're moving to BC.
Job itself isn't bad, you learn a lot and get to do cool stuff, lots of room for progression, but as mentioned you have little control over HOW your career progresses. Better choice for young unmarried men who don't mind being moved around.
Pros
Pay is excellent, benefits are amazing.
Cons
No control over career, Bosses are either failed infantry with napoleon complex or lazy and don't care
Great
Human Resource Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2018
Great place to work. Atmosphere is amazing with life learning and skill building opportunities. Options for travel while still living the military life.
Military
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Comox, BC19 September 2018
Great for a career for someone who understands the military. Not for individuals who are not willing to relocate, leave home for extended amounts of time, and the salary isn't competitive with the private sector.
Civilian Water treatment operator
Water Treatment Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NB18 September 2018
Worse management in the world, bunch of know it all know nothing, i never seen the like of laziness until i worked for DND. Only ex-military get hired b/c they scam the system and don't post job to the open public which required by law. Retire o Friday and walk into a 60k plus job on monday and don't forget their pension. This continued practice actually hurts our economy in NB. My supervisor is x military and is probably the worst person i ever came across. I lost so much respect for the Canadian forces since i started working here. So much sense of entitlement it would make you sick.
Toxic Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 September 2018
Be prepared to be used and abused by your employer. Management does not care about their employees, and they will throw you under the bus in a heart beat. Everyone is unhappy there and there is a lot of back door hiring and promoting - not a fair process at all.
Workplace Set Out
Member of CFA (Current Employee) –  Wainwright, AB16 September 2018
A typical day in the military would be waking up at 0430 hours in the morning. The day would start off by physical training, until 0530 then we would head back to the shacks for our daily routine. At 0530 hours, we would use this time to shower, and change into combats, and prepare for breakfast. At 0700 hours, we would have our daily inspections of our rooms, and the shacks. After inspections, our day usually conducted of classes, drills, testing, exercises, and varies duties set out from our commanding officers. Key area's that I have learned was self-motivation, team-work, time management, self-discipline, physical assets. Main key points of information learned was focused on weapons, drills, exercises, and certain procedures in regards to the army.
Productive work environment
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC13 September 2018
Learned a lot of skills that I can apply in my daily life such as team work, self confidence, leadership, resilience and challenged myself above and beyond what I thought was possible from me.
Review CF
Infantry (Royal Canadian Regiment) (Current Employee) –  4th Can Div TC12 September 2018
The CF, specifically the infantry, has very poor management and leadership. If you are bad at your job, you can be promoted to be pushed out somewhere else so they dont have to deal with you. If you are good at your job, you will be worked to the bone.
Outstanding
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON10 September 2018
This career is so rewarding and brings such amazing benefits like camaraderie, the ability to travel the world and help your country is in my opinion the best thing ever.
Amazing workplace
Ordinary Seaman (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 September 2018
The military has taught me countless life lessons. I highly recommend pursuing a career within the armed forces reserves or regular force. You'll meet some of the greatest friends and make countless memories.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3