National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Found 1,524 reviews matching the search See all 1,594 reviews
parfait pour les jeunes
technicien en réfrigération (Former Employee) –  Valcartier Bpm 210, QC10 December 2018
parfait pour les jeunes, sans femme ni enfant, qui aime l'aventure.
Pros
salaire et avantages sociaux
Cons
régime totalitaire
A very informative profession
Musician Bagpiper/ soldier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 December 2018
A very good organization, good work environment, good friends and colleagues, many courses in various skills, learning new things, being part of a much larger family.
Excellent job environment, travel, intense, learn a multitude of skills
ATIS Tech (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON8 December 2018
The hardest part of the job is being away from family but this is also the best part of the job as it is when you put your training to use and really get things done
Interesting, and well balanced environment.
Armoured Crewman (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ON6 December 2018
During my time in the military, I worked with all kinds of different people and leadership. This job has progressed me as a person into someone even more hard working, and efficient than before. An experience I will never forget nor do I regret.
Pros
Benefits, salary, holidays.
Cons
Erratic hours
Great place for the right person
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Suffield, AB6 December 2018
If you are looking for an easy job as a cook that pays great look no further. Union job, secure, great benefits package. Great shifts lots of time for family when you get home.
So close, yet so far.
Military Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2018
A typical day at work
- unpredictable and not motivating

What you learned
- motivational and instructional techniques
- management and staffing processes
- management in large groups of people

- unwilling to punish the weak and the malingering

Hardest part of the job
- re: comment in management

Most enjoyable part of the job
- deploying to operations that matter on the global scale

Pros:
- fosters environment where equal opportunity is paramount (regardless of race and gender), and is working to remove the old stereotypical culture of ignorance

Cons:
- Lack of access to health care benefits. Lack of administration to ensure access to medical care when required.
- pay is seldom administered in a timely manner
- disciplinary action is rarely measured (too hard on nonsensical problems, too light when it is really needed)
Pros
Ref: above
Cons
Ref: above
Team based
Canadian Armed Forces Member (Current Employee) –  Trail BC5 December 2018
Wonderful job with great opportunities, took me across the country and many friends overseas. I made lots of friends including my best friends. Wouldn't change my design to join if presented the opportunity.
Pros
The job itself
Cons
Sometimes away from home for prolonged periods
Best Job I've Ever Had
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2018
Spent a lot of time working on myself and pushing my limits. It made me a new person and I'm very proud of who I've become because of the CF. I plan to continue with them part time until retirement.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel
Financial Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 December 2018

Pros
-Excellent part time job for school
-Learn key soft skills
-Learn leadership and management techniques
-The people you work with are by far the best part of this job.
-Interact with the community
Cons
-working conditions, being outside against the elements
- Varying degrees of risk depending on the trade.
-equipment is dated.
Provides a dependable and stable job and income
Electrical Generation Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Borden, ON28 November 2018
I have no complaints about my current time in the military, ive received some of the best education money can buy and ive gained valuable life skills that would otherwise never be learned.
a stellar place to develop skills and challenge yourself as a young person
Senior HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
It's a good place to work in if you are a young person who would like to gain real life skills in the workforce as the forces will develop you, challenge you and promote you to new positions. the CAF does not operate like a corporation as price tags and budgets are usually secondary considerations and skills and missions come first. There is a lot of investment that comes towards its personnel. The work life balance is either stellar or abysmal and that would depend on whether you are on training, exercise, on deployment or at home. This also depends on your management as they have a lot of say on what your work balance will be like. There is a strong focus on physical and mental health in the last few years. Benefits are wholesome and effective for full time soldiers.
Pros
Education funds, lots of extracurricular acitivities, unity in the workforce, years of training
Cons
a lot of responsibility, long hours at times, lack of overtime pay and safety nets that are availiable elsewhere.
Long Work days, Good memories
Staff Cadet (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON20 November 2018
When being a staff cadet the work is hard. It takes a lot of effort to manage younger cadets. The days were long and not a lot of sleep was given. It was a sigh of relief when the days off came around. But the memories were worth it.
Pros
Free room and meals
Cons
Long hours, Less than desirable weather
Rewarding experience
Officer Cadet (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON20 November 2018
The Canadian Armed Forces will help you gain numerous qualifications that will help you advance in your career. Although the management and administration can sometimes be frustrating, and certain work postings make it difficult to have a life outside of the Forces. You need to motivated and ready to put everything into your job at times.
Caf
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2018
Very big on team work. Lot of opportunities for advancement and promotions. also so many different trades available making it easier to advance in your career depending on individual skill set.
Fun Culture
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON16 November 2018
A typical day at work is being awakened by your Sergeant Major who yells at you to get up and get going,

Then it proceeds with showering, basic hygiene and then followed by hot breakfast.

If staying in the field, then food is catered and is usually gross army food but on the cold days anything tasted like a 5* restaurant

I managed a small group of soldiers, and worked with them through various engineering tasks, for example cutting C4 explosives, formulating proper calculations for breaching doors, searching for IED's and other detonators.

The days typically start early and end late at night

The hardest part of the job is not giving up when pressure is involved

The most enjoyable part of the job is overcoming the hard times and then laughing about them with snacks and beers to celebrate the victorious accomplishment of finishing the tasking, course or the mission at hand
Pros
Discipline
Cons
The Suck
Rewarding
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Martensville, SK13 November 2018
Working with a youth organization is a very rewarding way to spend my time. I get to help mold and shape the next generation. I enjoy teaching the qualities of leadership and teamwork.
Best job ever!`
Infantry Officer (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 November 2018
A typical day involves occupational training and administration tasks

You will learn time management, personnel and resource management along with other useful soft skills

Be physically fit and mentally ready to take on a challenge
great for those single or strong mariges
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2018
I loved my career and what I did I saw the best and the worst of the world and tried to make it all just a little better the people I worked with are family and always will be it can be hard on your civilian family though and you have to be there for them just as much my wife and kids are the only reason I left if you love to help to make a difference and care about bettering yourself just remember its never just you every life around you counts
Pros
helping where you can, friends, family, see the world, comrodery
Cons
lots of time away, some stuff you will see, your spouce always worrying
Career
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 November 2018
My time with the Military was a career rather than a job. It allowed for advancement and personal growth. I spent more than 20 years serving and would sign on again without hesitation.
Great place to learn new things
Equipment Operator (MSE OP) (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB10 November 2018
Love working with the forces, only reason I’m looking to move forward is that there isn’t very many deployments. Also would like to earn some more money.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Disorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3