National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Found 2,124 reviews matching the search
I did 16 years, 12 in kingston. Time passed fast. Slow promotions. I was refused a posting close to home and not promoted. Overall i do not regret joining and encourage anyone who wants to join. Overall cool experience and I am now a proud veteran back home. Thank you.
Pros
Training, traveling, good pay.
Cons
Slow promotion, and posting was denied.
This is a job with no real surprises and a lot of opportunity for advancement or lateral movement. The compensation is good, and their entry level is very inclusive, even if you do not have much experience. They provide opportunity for further education and certification.
Great place to work but since it was pandemic, we had to work from home. Not much interaction. Couldn't even talk to the co-worker without getting permission from the team lead. That was a little difficult for me as a new employee. I wish I had more interaction with the team lead to understand the requirement to provide my support. Since I was assigned to work remotely, I had not the office environment experience but I am sure the place would have been very enjoyable with the great team. If I ever had a chance to go back, I definitely agree to join the team again.
Pros
Since remote, not much experience to know the in-office culture
Cons
Straight 7.5 hours per day but flexible hours
The decision to join should not be taken lightly, it is a career that demands all of your time and effort. There are no jobs like it, and it will change you forever, for the worst or the best. You’re experience in the CAF is what YOU put into it.
Pros
Job security, camaraderie, history & traditoins
Cons
Family life and personal life take a huge hit.
Be prepared to always be away from home, take it upon yourself to find a balance. Some favouritism and politics but the majority of the time it was work out, exercises etc etc. Be established and take care of the family first before you decide to make it a career. Voluntary force so you can VR at anytime but I’d suggest to remuster into something that may bring benefits to you when you retire. No prouder moment than receiving a medal alongside your brothers and to serve the flag, country and Canadians. Don’t forget that every canadian is who you serve. Don’t do it for the uniform do it for the citizens and our country.
You can train to be what you want. Advancement is readily available for those that work hard. You can get your degree for free from not only Royal military college but most other reputable Universities in Canada.
Pros
100% free medical and dental and great pension
Cons
Deployments away from family for long periods of time. Moving often
Excellent benefits, ample time off to be with family, some days with very long hours, sometimes in the field away from family for weeks, constantly learning new things, often doing things that make very little sense...
Pros
Working with people who are generally of the same mind set
Cons
Comms researchers - they totally suck
Great times are often there in the CAF. Hard work and a great attitude will help you succeed in the CAF. leadership in the CAF can at times seem out of touch with the rank and file but it is getting better.
Pros
Great people and benefits are fantastic
Cons
time away from home can be extensive
Great place to learn to work in groups rely on each other and achieve your goals. Not ideal for family life better to have served 10 years or more before settling down better posting opportunity
Pros
Military family
Cons
Parades
Loved the job just had some personal experiences that affect me in everyday life. Made life long friends the greatest people you'll ever meet nothing but respect for all of them.
Pros
Good bonding
Cons
See some stuff
The CAF has a wide array of job offerings in a fun, fast paced environment. There is an opportunity to travel within Canada and abroad. Overall, I enjoy my career in the CAF.
Projects are exciting, filled with technological challenges and projections. I am handicap; I admire military people but cannot serve. Working at DND gave me a sense of belonging and I feel I have served my country.
Pros
Remote work.
Cons
Place is huge from a wheelchair..
Les possibilités de développement professionnel et d'avancement de carrière sont très variés. Tout dépendamment de votre département/secteur et de votre envie et capacité à partir, vous ne connaîtrez que très peu de routine. La polyvalence est de mise!
Pros
Variété d'expérience de travail
Cons
Comme réserviste, parfois instabilité salariale
The culture shock that you go through scares away some people but once you get past that it is a great experience. Being in the army is being part of a tight knit group of people that in some occasions are closer than family.
Pros
Food provided
Cons
Long hours in the field
It depends on your trade. Friends and family have had an awesome time, some excelled kn the ranks whilst another did the snail crawl up the ranks. Best advice: Buyer Beware!
Pros
Job security; well paid
Cons
Lack of transparency for accomplishments.
Great job. Loved the people I worked with. Lots to do to always keep you busy. Shift always went by fast. If I could I would definitely go back there. Unfortunately I got injured and needed an office job.
Pros
Great wage
Cons
Winter driving at night or early mornings
I had a great time during my career. I received many courses and lots of training. Once I retire due to the FRP in 96 I took my knowledge to the civilian world and taught people how to safely operate heavy equipment and trucks
Pros
Teamwork and great friends
Cons
Living outside in the winter
Overall experience excellent. I was there for 4 months as coop student and they're not sure they will hire student after our coop ends. So I am actively seeking employement.
Pros
Much better than most workplaces
Cons
Nothing except not being hired
Its a life changibg experience. you need to adopt the lifestyle and be willing to make changes and sacrifices in order to succeed and excel. but it can be a good life with many adventures.
Complete immersion into the life of a combat soldier. I wish I had stayed until I was no longer healthy enough to continue being a soldier. The best friends and brothers you could ever ask for. Tough training
Pros
Great training for life
Cons
Too much Canada time and not enough deployment in Combat Zones.
Good pay and you get to meet from all over the country in Canada. get play sports and exercise a lot too. A lot of chances to go on deployments around the world. really good benefits and pay
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
longs hours when on exercise out in the field