National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces

National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Employee Reviews

Canada2,095 reviews
Found 2,095 reviews matching the search
Loved it. Challenging. Rewarding.
Back when I joined the CF, there was a TV commercial that said, " There is no life like it." Very true. However, I liked it but it might not be for you, or you might like too.

There was a lot of hurry up and wait, typical of when politicians are your ultimate masters.
Pros
Exciting. Training. Medical and Dental
Cons
Moved a lot.
Canadian Forces Regular or Reaerve Force
Excellent place to get a vast amoung of leadership exposure, training and knowledge. It is challenging but fair with plenty of rewarding experiences. Immediate superiors watch out for the troops and you always have som3one watch out for you
Pros
Life experience that you cannot pay for ANYWHERE else
Cons
You might like it oo much and be there a long time
Awesome
really great. Loved the job as it took me all over the world. Very stressful at times but extremely satisfying. Met many people from other countries.
Some things need to change
Work life depends on supervisors. Good supervisors make for a good work environment. Moving can be hard on the family. Benifits are good especially for families.
Great Learning and Development opportunity
Great learning and Development Opportunity, very exciting and Stressful, but if its for you, may find a life long career, Long hours somedays, others can be relatively short.
Rewarding
It is hard to describe a typical at work in my field (medical) it all depends in which environment you are working (emergency department, ward in hospital, on a ship, or in the field. As I have done all of them, the main part is : you help in the welfare of your fellow members and you are a part of a whole. I have found my employment in the Canadian Armed Forces rewarding, there is satisfaction knowing you have done your best and beyond what you thought you could, as a medical assistant I was able to provide care and treatment to fellow members and I participated in missions to help those in need.
There is a sense of family in the military community be it at work or leisure. The hardest part of the job was to learn there are limits as to how much you can help (especially on missions, due to protocol and general practices). What I found most enjoyable is I have learned my self worth and to value others, I have traveled and met all kinds of culture.
évoluer dans une environnement très convivial
Faire preuve de diligence raisonnable
Collaborer à la mise en application du programme de prévention cadre du maître d’œuvre et de celui des employeurs;

Analyser les situations sur le chantier, commenter et/ou approuver les méthodes;

Produire un rapport quotidien des activités ou des visites d’inspection;

Émettre des avis de non-conformité aux entrepreneurs ou autres;

Exiger que des corrections soient apportées aux conditions dangereuses;
Favoritism
Some Discrimination, FAvoritism, Joining in the military is my passion, but unfortunately I couldn't make it due to Favoritism and discrimination. I got released because they said I am not physically fit. But as far as I know military needs not only soldier but also scholars.
Not a fan, personally.
I worked for them on two contracts. A six week and a one year contract. The presentation I was given in my first contract was excellent (Wainwright). My year long contract (ALOY program at the Royal Military College) was horrific. Poorly managed, inexcusable behaviors, inconsistency throughout the entire chain of command, absolutely untrained bone heads put in charge of training and discipline.
Great job.
Still work with the military, it’s a great experience and can take you all over the world I would recommend this job to anyone who wants a change in their life and wants an adventure.
Pros of this job is that you can choose how often you want to work either full or part time, it’s always giving you new and better training, and after your military career there’s a possibility of walking out with very transferable life skills.

Cons this job can be mismanaged from time to time and they are occasionally disorganized but usually sort it out with minimal pain to you.

This job does require a lot of heart and determination to keep with it.
Very good place to work
Very much enjoyed working at the base, received good compensation and training. I have applied again, hoping to be recalled. Would like a permanent position here.
Great Co-op Experience
Working for DND was a great learning experience. I worked directly with an experienced engineer who taught me how to work more efficiently and think like an engineer.
Challenging in waves but mostly the experience was collegial and a wonderful place to meet people.
A great place for a student of music to start off their professional development. You will received structured professional development and an awesome part-time job to supplement a civilian career.

Stephen
Amazing workplace
I had amazing managers and they made sure that I felt secure in the office.Their training is super specific so you're never really lost. I learned a lot. Skills that I can take to my career. Good environment
Long-term career opportunities
Federal Government employment benefits.
Diverse career opportunities and specialisations.

Quality in-house training opportunities.

Excellent professional development opportunities.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours, irregular work schedules
The army is a great place to work because it has a diverse amount of opportunities available to its employees. Every day is a new day and it is a great and secure job.
If u have an injury or sickness u can be blacklisted
Was a great experience with some difficulties . Once i was diagnosed with diabetes i got black listed and treated like a recruit .
The job itself was a great experience although i never went overseas
Environement de travail stressant, très compétitif mais gratifiant
La culture de l'organisation doit être revue. Les mutations dans diverse base au Canada sur une base régulière sont difficile pour les familles. La défense National offre par contre de très bon bénifice (santé, dentaires, médicaments), de très bon salaire.
Temporary position with agency, no interview - thrown into a shark tank
I was hired by an agency to work there as a Temp. The culture was terrible, very nasty and backbiting. They treated me terribly, as I was a civilian and didn't follow their habits. One week they told me I was doing a terrific job and the next week I was out, with no explanation given. This was two years ago though. Understandably my subjective opinion is tinged with some bitterness.
Fast paced demanding at times
Fast placed and stressful at times. Extremely team oriented. Very good opportunities for advancement. Pay is very fair but must be ready to be called into work at all times and work long hours with no overtime pay. Vacation time makes up for the extra hours worked
Great job, terrible culture.
One of the most stable, well paying jobs in the country with a catch. You will sell them your soul. Your entire time in the military you belong to the military. Don't expect to be there for any special family events, don't expect to be fully present for your family. And don't expect the Armed Forces to care about your family.

Your family will make compromises on behalf of your mediocre career for the entire duration of your time in uniform.

Great for singles. Absolutely terrible for families. They will try and tell you otherwise but it is a complete fallacy.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3