National Cannabis Inc. Employee Reviews

Faustian Bargain
Manager - head office (Former Employee) –  Hear office - Vancouver6 July 2019
In my opinion, most of the senior leadership were complicit in the verbally abusive, intimidating, and delusional behaviour of the CEO. Unethical business practices. Borderline incompetence. Their compensation structure is below industry standards for many roles. Group benefits plan with a 50 percent co-pay is less than worthless if you’re an individual in reasonable health. If you’re desperate to gain experience in the cannabis industry, beware this Faustian bargain.
Pros
Feeing of immense relief when you finally leave
Cons
Great in the Beginning, not so much anymore
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 June 2019
When i first started at Kiaro, everything was awesome. The training and on-boarding were exceptional and when construction of our store was delayed, they made sure that we were all taken care of.

Then they started making changes, like a lot of changes and from what i can see, they were for the worse. The new people who come in from head office dont seem to really know what theyre doing (unlike the people they replaced) and are certainly not very well versed in cannabis or reflect the values of the cannabis community.

There just seems to be a lot of uncertainty with this company so if you're thinking of applying, i wouldnt bother. Theres more than a few people here looking for better work in the cannabis sector.
Pros
Discounted cannabis
Cons
High head office turnover
24 June 2019

We are sorry to hear about your experience at Kiaro! We strive to put our employee experience at the forefront of everything we do and are committed to fostering a positive environment. If you would like to discuss ways of improving our culture, please feel free to email us at hr@kiaro.com.

Working here was a mistake!
Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 June 2019
I thought that working here was going to be great. The head office space was cool, the people seemed genuine and of course, i got work in the cannabis industry. But all that was really just smoke and mirrors hiding an incompetent unethical senior leadership team (and i use the term 'leader' very loosely).

Working here was the biggest mis-step in my career and if my review can help save even just one person from making the same mistake, then it was worth it.

Steer clear of Kiaro.
Pros
Cons
Upper Management
17 June 2019

We are sorry to hear about your experience at Kiaro. We pride ourselves on putting our employee experience at the forefront of everything that we do. Through our core values we are committed to fostering an environment of collaboration and creativity, where everyone is encouraged to be courageous and sharing their thoughts on how to make Kiaro the best place to work. If you would like to discuss ways of improving our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Skip this company
Head office employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2019
I used to work there. Unlike many I quit I was not fired. I found this company to not be inclusive and not great culture. If you were not popular then you were not important.
Pros
I can’t say on here
Cons
No culture
17 June 2019

We are sorry to hear about your experience at Kiaro. We pride ourselves on putting our employee experience at the forefront of everything that we do. We are committed to fostering an environment of collaboration and creativity, where everyone is encouraged to be courageous and sharing their thoughts on how to make Kiaro the best place to work. If you would like to discuss ways of improving our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Another one bites the dust
Head office employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 June 2019
Well if you read the negative reviews that is a perfect overview of what the company is true it about. No communication, totally unorganized at head office (only 20 and it’s to hard), no training and no leadership.

Don’t waste your time.
Pros
Uhh.. none
Cons
Weak leadership unorganized
Inspiring place to work and people to be around :)
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2019
Overall a great experience! Kiaro is progressive and is a business that provides opportunities to expand your professional skills within the budding Cannabis industry!
6 June 2019

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Kiaro. People are our number one focus in everything that we do. We are delighted that you have joined us and are contributing towards making us the best place to work. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com

I work with Cannabis!
Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Kiaro La Ronge23 May 2019
I've only been with the company a short time but my experiences have been all positive thus far. I work in a beautiful store, was offered extensive training and education. I am given a fair, above average wage for my market. I have an awesome team and can say that all of my contact with higher ups in BC have been excellent too. I have seen the company make some changes but those changes were made for the betterment of both company and customer, that's just business.
Pros
Discount, environment, compensation
Cons
They won't let me live at the store lol
6 June 2019

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Kiaro. People are our number one focus in everything that we do. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com

Not a good place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 May 2019
Working in the cannabis industry should be fun, exciting, hard work and ultimately rewarding. Not if you work at Kiaro.

Work Hard? Yes
Rewarding? Nope
Fun? Not a chance

But if you enjoy being intimidated, abused, disrespected, condescended to and fear for your job every day, then this is the place for you.

There are many other cannabis companies out there that are way better than Kiaro.
Pros
Cool Office Space, Pet Friendly (Dogs in the office!)
Cons
Senior Managers are abusive and disrespectful
6 June 2019

We’re sorry to hear about your experience at Kiaro. At Kiaro we take continuous improvement seriously, so we appreciate your courage in sharing your thoughts with us. Please feel free to share your thoughts with us on how we can improve our culture, at hr@kiaro.com.

Zero stars
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  La Ronge, SK21 May 2019
If i could give zero stars, i would! This is not a very good company. They don't treat people with respect of dignity (at least the people from head office don't). I was happy at first to get this job but now i regret taking it.
Pros
I sell weed
Cons
Not a good company
6 June 2019

We’re sorry to hear about your experience at Kiaro. At Kiaro we take continuous improvement seriously, so we appreciate your courage in sharing your thoughts with us. As we strive to do better, please feel free to share your thoughts with us on how we can improve our culture, at hr@kiaro.com.

Worst Company I EVER worked for
Head Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2019
This is the most dysfunctional company i have ever worked for!

Never before have I witnessed so much disrespectful, unprofessional, condescending, and arrogant behavior from a "senior" management team. They pride themselves on their 'Core Values' but they don't demonstrate a single one.

This company is on a fast track to failure. I'll be getting out the first chance i get! and if you join this company, you'll quickly discover how big of a mistake you made. Do yourself a favor and don't even bother applying... you'll be looking for a new job within a month!
Pros
Working downtown is cool, some good people still in the office
Cons
Abusive, hostile and toxic environment, senior management dont care about people other than themselves
6 June 2019

I think i have PTSD from working here!
Head Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 May 2019
You know there is something fundamentally wrong with a company when they have lost 10 people from head office over 6 weeks (with more on their way out).

The company started with a great vision, a unique identity and a promising future but really, it was all just smoke and mirrors hiding an incompetent executive leadership team. You can dress up a pig, but it still just a pig.

With things going as poorly as they are, maybe you should be looking at replacing the leadership team instead of putting the blame on and replacing the people who are actually getting things done.

How much money have you burned on the executives who have only been able to open 1 store since legalization? Where is the "Accountability" you like to pride yourselves on as a core value?
6 June 2019

We are sorry to hear about your experience at Kiaro. We pride ourselves on putting our employee experience at the forefront of everything that we do. If you would like to discuss ways of improving our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Fun and very productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 May 2019
I love working here. I have been apart of the Cannabis world for the better part of a decade and it is great being able to work in a field that I am excited to see grow. This job allows me to discuss new advances in Cannabis and the feeling of helping people is also a great. The Management is filled with really nice understanding individuals. The team is also filled with great new friends.
Pros
Movie nights and home office is always happy with us.
Cons
The computers
6 June 2019

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Kiaro. We are delighted to hear such positive feedback. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com

Not an Honest Company
Head Office (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 May 2019
This company lacks integrity and honesty like no other company i have worked for. They speak of core values like courage, collaboration, creativity and accountability, but the upper management who should be leading these values by example, are the biggest violators of these values.
Cons
Executive Leadership Team lacks Integrity

Terrible Management, Toxic Workplace
Head Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 May 2019
There are a lot of great cannabis companies out there, and this is not one of them.

This is a company that truly does not care about people. People are treated extremely unprofessionally, from being talked down to, yelled at and berated, to being insulted, harassed and even bullied. There's a reason why almost everyone at Head Office is unhappy and looking for alternative work.

If you want to work in cannabis, go anywhere else than here. If you like being abused and treated poorly, this is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
Management, Work Environment, Abusive

Amazing group...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 May 2019
Working for Kiaro has been a rewarding experience. It's easy to come into work every day and know that you will be appreciated for the work you do. I am surrounded by co workers and management that can help me/ back me up in any situation. Everyone here is happy for the most part and that calls for a great environment. Really how could anyone not have a smile on their face when buying/ selling cannabis.
Pros
Happy people
Cons
Not enough hours available/ need more head office communication.
6 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. We pride ourselves on supporting our people and appreciate your commitment to giving outstanding service on a daily basis. Your appreciation for our culture doesn’t go unnoticed as we continue to strive towards building the best team. You are part of this journey, and we look forward to continuing to collaborate with you in the future. If you have any suggestions on how to continue to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Great people make for a great place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 May 2019
This job comes with extensive training that would benefit everyone from those new to cannabis all the way to the most experienced of us.
The best part if this job is the ability to educate and discuss cannabis with the public, helping them make their own recreational purchase based on the knowledge we have supplied them with.
Upper management noticeably listened to our opinions about accessories and product when we were asked. Refreshing to have management utilize and respect employee resources and assets.
6 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. Your appreciation doesn’t go unnoticed as we continue to strive towards building the best team. If you have any suggestions on how to continue to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Friendly People, Chill Work Environment
Fulfillment Agent (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 May 2019
My first meeting with the Kiaro team was a very welcoming experience. I was very anxious to start a brand new job, let alone a job in a brand new industry, but Kiaro was very quick to ease my mind as an employee by implementing very clear and educated training, in a small group setting. I quickly made some new friends, and also had input on whether the training was helpful or not, or what could be done better, from my perspective as an employee.

Working with this company for the past 5 months has been a life changing experience for me as I never could have imagined selling weed legally at any point in my life, let alone as a means to make a living. Being able to influence the culture, and set an example for Canadian cannabis is an amazing opportunity to be a part of.

As Cannabis is an ever-changing industry, always updating employees on big changes to regulations, and laws, has been very beneficial to helping customers stay informed as well. In most cases where I haven't known the answer to something Cannabis related, everyone that I work with is so passionate about Cannabis already that they usually have the answer for me, I just have to ask.

Management has always been there to help me solve any problems I encounter in a standard work day, whether I need somebody to simply double check if I input a shipping order into the computer system correctly, or if I need the answer to something regarding new laws I've never heard anything about, a manager has always been ready to back me up.

I'd have to say that the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I get to
  more... come in each day to a friendly group of people who are just as passionate about changing the cannabis market for the better, just as I intend to.  less
Pros
I Sell Legal Weed, Friendly Staff, Occasional Employee Outings
Cons
Staying constantly updated on Canadian Cannabis Laws
6 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. We pride ourselves on supporting our people and appreciate your commitment to giving outstanding service on a daily basis. If you have any suggestions on how to continue to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Love the people and culture!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver29 April 2019
Kiaro so far has been an amazing company to work for. The entire management/office team has been welcoming. I haven't felt this way for any company in a long time - It's fun, exciting, challenging and rewarding.

Everyone here is ready to work. With the Industry consistently changing, everyone is quick to adapt and do what is necessary to get the job done. The team is very supportive and always ready to help if needed.

It's unfortunate to see that they have some negative reviews because honestly; if you want a career that challenges you, keeps you on your toes and you get to do something you are passionate about -- this is the place to be.

I have worked with established companies and start ups, so far Kiaro has a great foundation with some amazing/hard working people. If you do get the opportunity to work for Kiaro, take it!
Pros
Great team members, new industry, culture, work ethic and Friday team events!
6 June 2019

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Kiaro. We are delighted to hear you are enjoying working for Kiaro. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com

Fantastic team, exciting new industry and great opportunity to learn and grow!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 April 2019
Kiaro is an amazing company to work for! I love what I do - it's challenging, fun, and I am learning so much everyday.

Kiaro supports my education, which is very important to me, and the individuals I work with and support on a daily basis is what makes my job so wonderful. I highly recommend working for Kiaro if you get the opportunity.
Pros
Great opportunity to learn and grow, exciting new industry, amazing people
6 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. We pride ourselves on supporting our people and appreciate your commitment to giving outstanding service on a daily basis. Your appreciation for our culture doesn’t go unnoticed as we continue to strive towards building the best team. If you have any suggestions on how to continue to improve our culture, please email us at: hr@kiaro.com.

Bad management practices
Employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 April 2019
This company is seriously mismanaged. Five people lost their positions within a 2 month period. Hard to believe they were all bad hires which begs the question, do you really want to work in an environment of fear and anxiety?

There is a definite lack of respect for employees treating them like disposable commodities. The morale is non-existent and you feel the tension daily. And you’re expected to work beyond your hours. There is no work life balance.

I was never one to drink the koolaid, and that’s exactly what the CEO preaches. Furthermore, some employees should not be in management positions because they have no competencies in managing people.

The bottom line: there are better start-ups out there to work for. This isn’t one of them.
Pros
Some very good people
Cons
Long hours, bad management practices, disrespect, cliquish culture
6 June 2019

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Cannabis Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8