National Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 October 2018
Very good place to work.
There is a good balance between work and family.
People are respectful and helpful.
very good working hours.
teams help each other
Profile fair but French oriented
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE30 September 2018
Difficult to go to training seminars or information sessions and listen to everyone speak French when you only speak English. They have been a good employer of mine for many years.
Ordinary bank
CLERK (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Work starts at 8am. Your work is distributed. you learn different types of services.Hardest part is the commute . Enjoyable part is the management is friendly.
Pros
clean environment
Cons
changing business requirements
fun
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 September 2018
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
workplace culture
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job was great and i liked working there
A compnay that is slowly improving.
AML / ATF Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 September 2018
The company is striving to become modern and change an old-school technophobic culture. The environment is respectful and benefits like pension plan are quite fair.
27 September 2018

Hi and thanks for taking the time to write a review. Indeed, our work spaces and IT and collaboration tools have greatly evolved over recent years. Our cultural shift is ongoing and will continue to propel us forward. Please feel free to share your ideas and comments!

We wish you a great career at the Bank!

Mamangement
Financial Markets / Structured Transactions (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 August 2018
Weak management; no development nor competitive salaries relatively to the market. Small player among the top banks. Very low diversity as you move up the ladder.
Pros
Good life balance
Cons
No room for development, weak senior management
Good
Front Line Advisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 August 2018
It was a good experience working here, it is a smaller bank so the culture is more intimate. You can get to know management fairly quickly and it is easy to advance within the retail sector.
27 September 2018

Hi and thanks for your feedback. Good luck with your futures projects.

Fun place to work at
Senior Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2018
National Bank is a good place to work at. There are great benefits, good work/life balance. Management is excellent. Most enjoyable part is how the company takes care of its employees and the coworkers. The hardest part of the job is the restrictions that may be faced due to the need of update in technology. However, the Bank is in process of improving that part.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Technological restrictions
27 September 2018

Hi and thanks for your feedback. We wish you all the best with your future projects.

Flexible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON3 August 2018
great flexible part time job. The bank is no longer open in Georgetown but the staff was great and they promoted from within first. Great first banking experience
Almost a step forward
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 August 2018
At National bank there is lot of room for growth if you are ok with a salary that isn't competitive enough. The management is good. I think a typical workday is challenging.
Productive and fun environment
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 July 2018
I worked here for a year because i was in a contract. However, my contract was extended and unfortunately a higher paying job offered me another position so i went for it. But if i could i would have stayed at national bank for a longer period of time. Amazing managers, colleagues and clients. If you ever had a problem, or needed help management would there to help you and support you. Also, their training is really good. Most places throw you as a CSR on your first week. National bank do a lot of shadowing and help you practice your day to day work before you are on your own. In terms of sales it is also a great bank. I have worked for other two banking institutions and all they want from your performance is sales, however NBC makes sure you meet those but they DONT make everything about sales
Cons
wish their salary was higher compared to other banking institutions
Great place to start with my love of numbers
Foreign Exchange and International Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2018
I didn't have a clue going into the job I was offered. I was pleasantly surprised of how much fun the job was. How great most of the people that worked within the Bank were to work with.
Pros
Stampede Week, Week Long work bonding, Great hours.
Cons
Salary wasn't enough to live in Calgary.
3 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your environment and the people you were working with.

Please be assured that we will forward your feedback to our compensation team. Every year, we participate in surveys to ensure we offer competitive compensation, and that there is internal equity among comparable or similar corporate and sales positions. Your comment will be considered.

toxic work culture
IT department (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 June 2018
I was there when they announced a round of layoff and It made the working culture absolutely toxic everywhere in IT. Everybody that was not assigned to a project became so afraid to loose their job that getting coworker to help you became impossible. Everybody became super risk averse and working there just became a game of musical chair and a dance of blaming other for any perceived wrongdoing.
Pros
salary
Cons
toxic work culture
competitive sales environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 June 2018
it is a great place to join with a team goal environment heavily client centric and sales enforced if you are doing the banking industry it is the right place to begin your career
Pros
sundays and evenings free
Cons
many responsibilities
Micromanaged to Death !!
Financial Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 June 2018
Within a period of 3 years I saw 7-9 of my colleagues be terminated or they quit. Didn't matter if you exceeded your goals or showed improvement year after year (with no assistance from your manager). No form of conflict resolution when management was the issue. If you didn't get along with middle management they would micromanage you to death then find a way to terminate you or make your employment unpleasant. The only saving grace were my colleagues which were amazing the support staff and partnership advisors.
Pros
Colleagues and good work life balance
Cons
Middle Management (Still there)
13 June 2018

Thank you for this transparent feedback. We are sorry to read about your experience. It is very far from want we want for our people. We have duly noted your comments and will address them.

Thanks again.

NBC takes care of its employees
SAP Architect-ABAP,Digital & API specialist (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 May 2018
Very good place to work, challenging and exciting projects, wide selection of technologies and career paths to follow. The management is solid and the overall culture is very positive
13 June 2018

Hi and thanks for your feedback.

We do our utmost to offer our employees a healthy work environment and advantageous conditions that foster talent development and retention, such as training, career opportunities and internal development. We wish you all the best at the Bank!

The support and infrastructure in the bank is great
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Montreal and Quebec city16 May 2018
I work with abnormally intelligent people
A job which allows you to operate at the nexus of global financial markets, with bounded downside risk
I received impeccable training
Pros
A very secure job
13 June 2018

Hi and thanks for this retroaction. We are glad to hear that you had such a great experience.

Good luck with your futures projects!

Had a bad manager
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 May 2018
I think the national bank is a good bank overall, however it depends on who your manager is and if they believe in your abilities. In my case I had someone who was simply not human and only cared about the end result and not the process or anything else. Very poor experience because of that man.
Positive workplace
Mortgage Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 May 2018
Positive workplace
Lots of on going training
Great Leadership
Great transparency.
Excellent software and interaction amongst employees
great recognition program.
Loved working there
Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2018
An excellent working environment
Professional and wished the contract was a longer one.The project was very interesting. The team members were helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Bank of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

National Bank of Canada Reviews by Location