National Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

toxic work culture
IT department (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 June 2018
I was there when they announced a round of layoff and It made the working culture absolutely toxic everywhere in IT. Everybody that was not assigned to a project became so afraid to loose their job that getting coworker to help you became impossible. Everybody became super risk averse and working there just became a game of musical chair and a dance of blaming other for any perceived wrongdoing.
Pros
salary
Cons
toxic work culture
competitive sales environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 June 2018
it is a great place to join with a team goal environment heavily client centric and sales enforced if you are doing the banking industry it is the right place to begin your career
Pros
sundays and evenings free
Cons
many responsibilities
Micromanaged to Death !!
Financial Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 June 2018
Within a period of 3 years I saw 7-9 of my colleagues be terminated or they quit. Didn't matter if you exceeded your goals or showed improvement year after year (with no assistance from your manager). No form of conflict resolution when management was the issue. If you didn't get along with middle management they would micromanage you to death then find a way to terminate you or make your employment unpleasant. The only saving grace were my colleagues which were amazing the support staff and partnership advisors.
Pros
Colleagues and good work life balance
Cons
Middle Management (Still there)
Official response from National Bank of Canada
13 June 2018

Thank you for this transparent feedback. We are sorry to read about your experience. It is very far from want we want for our people. We have duly noted your comments and will address them.

Thanks again.

The support and infrastructure in the bank is great
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Montreal and Quebec city16 May 2018
I work with abnormally intelligent people
A job which allows you to operate at the nexus of global financial markets, with bounded downside risk
I received impeccable training
Pros
A very secure job
Official response from National Bank of Canada
13 June 2018

Hi and thanks for this retroaction. We are glad to hear that you had such a great experience.

Good luck with your futures projects!

Had a bad manager
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 May 2018
I think the national bank is a good bank overall, however it depends on who your manager is and if they believe in your abilities. In my case I had someone who was simply not human and only cared about the end result and not the process or anything else. Very poor experience because of that man.
Positive workplace
Mortgage Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 May 2018
Positive workplace
Lots of on going training
Great Leadership
Great transparency.
Excellent software and interaction amongst employees
great recognition program.
Loved working there
Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2018
An excellent working environment
Professional and wished the contract was a longer one.The project was very interesting. The team members were helpful.
Typical financial institution work place
SME- Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 April 2018
Two CIO changes in less than a year, generated a very volatile chain of command, and the actual CIO being from Europe implemented a unusual work culture.
Very Supportive
Secretary/Mortgage Discharge Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2018
Responsibilities did not change from day to day. Team environment was supportive to meet deadlines. Manager willing to answer any questions on criteria regarding Business and Residential Mortgage Loans
Great working environment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2018
People are easy going, very fun place to work, and a lot of advancement opportunities. Everybody knows each other and they are always ready to help a coworker.
good collaboration between team
Analyst Derivative Products Settlement (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 March 2018
make sure to settle all trades by end of day
Call C/P to split trades and get things rolling
Automate processes with VBA and other inhouse software.
Interact with traders daily.
Send reports and end of day
Settle Derivative products like ETF's and MBS's
well managed company and very profitable
Senior Analyst/portfolio manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 January 2014
excellent management and talented employees. working on the proprietary desks gave opportunities to test investment ideas, and being compensated with results.
Pros
broad scope for new ideas
Cons
cold winter
Excellent place to work with friendly and productive environment.
Manager Bus. Dev.- Mortgages Whitby-Ottawa (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 November 2013
Job provided excellent opportunity for advancement provided you lived in the immediate Toronto area. It promoted initive and networking and was an excellent position until it was eliminated due to corporate restructuring.
This job provided numerous opportunites to meet new people and develop new relationships.
Pros
Daily opportunity to self-promote and to promote your products
Cons
competitive pricing by others sometimes hampered your ability to finalize some transactions
Demanding, stressful and rewarding at the same time.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2013
A very professional and rewarding place to work with the inevitable and sometimes hectic peaks of volume of work. Great colleagues and upper management that reward hard work and commitment to the client.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Number of clients assigned to advisors greater than industry average.
Fun and challenging place to work
Business Development Manager, Investment Solutions (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2013
In my role, I was able to work with great autonomy while also being part of a team. I had flexibility in determining how I worked and what type of activities I pursued.

I also had regular meetings and coaching sessions with experienced, highly-regarded managers. This helped me to continue to work at a very high level.

I really liked the fact that I was able to have a very positive impact on the performance, success and confidence of all of the individuals that I supported.
Diverse nature of projects
Business Analyst (Consultant R3D Conseil) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 August 2013
Greart professional, very seniors to learn a lot from.If you are francophone it is rge perfect work environment as English is barely requried.
Pros
Interesting projects
Cons
No cons
Wonderful employers
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 July 2013
Totally enjoyed my length of service with staff members and providing clients with the best possible customer service.
Cons
It's a work place where I learned and acquired more knowledgeand skills.
Condition Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga24 June 2013
- Always busy
- I learned a lot regarding credit procedures
- Management - they are approchable
- Co-workers - I had a good relationship with my co workers they're helpfull and friendly.
- The hardest part of the job- not able to get

- The most enjoyable part of the job - when i am able to complete and approved a mortgage application.
Good advancement opportunities and work experience
Skill Development & Quality Assurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec14 May 2013
Loan and recovery department is a good entry level department in the bank. Students are welcomed and are offered paid training that helps them develop the right knowledge skills and abilities to perform in a financial institution.
The work environment is friendly and a good synergy is created among co-workers.
The collection department is a challenging and very interesting department where each day is different.
Salary in the call centre meets the standards of the market.
Good advancement opportunities.
Management nice, Subordinates disrespectful and difficult.
ACCOUNT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2013
Management nice,
Subordinates disrespectful and difficult.
Pros
managers, pay, perks: access to gym in neighboring hotel.
Cons
disrespectful and petty support staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Bank of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

National Bank of Canada Reviews by Location