NAPA Auto Parts

• Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Setup for failure

Very disorganized, get the sense that staff are rotated in and out on a regular basis, the new person has to try to adapt to the absolute chaos that the store is in, both in its physical upkeep and in their B2B relationships

Pros

Steady and fair schedule, good work/life balance

Cons

Dishonest management, disgruntled employees

Terrible work culture. Horrible pay. No advancement

I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. The work culture is completely toxic, managers favorite certain employees and they are allowed to get away with anything, are given special treatment.It's a revolving door company that sees hard working, long time and loyal workers being slighted constantly.Management is a complete joke. Everything is about politics and the bottom line. They do not care about employees unless you are willing to throw your coworkers under the bus to get ahead, in which case you are rewarded. Been with the company 6 years and have had 5 different managers. I've seen exemplary employees fired over nothing while the lackeys are promoted or promoted because they are family/family friends. Pay rate is way lower then it should be based on the 'tight ship' you are expected to run while also being under staffed. They say they care about what their employees have to say but that's a complete lie. I've never once had my concerns taken seriously.Horrible place to work, don't waste you're time with a company that isn't interested in helping employees grow with the company. The only benefit of working here is the discount on car parts

Good people and a great team environment to be a part of. Pays well with regular increases, with good benefits. Would highly recommend.

No help in sight

Always short staffed but still expected to get all daily, weekly and monthly work done on time. Worked many 60 hour weeks and might have been able to get one extra day off.

Steady job

It barely pays the bills but it's a steady income. No growth even though they say there's a future for all employees. Benefits are great and so is the pension plan.

Pros

Lots of company programs

Cons

Wages

Good supervisors

Good job just show up and do what they ask.some labour but not that hard.people are always willing to help.pay is very average.employe discounts.not the worst job I've ever had.

Pros

8 hrs

Cons

Hard to find any the pay could always be more.

Stressful

Overall job was stressful, some people who worked at my DC were decent enough could have a laugh with, others were eyes/ears for the management to rat to.

Cons

Slow boring and no overtime pay

Don't work for this cheap company they don't pay fairly or properly I had 3 pay periods in the short time I was employed by them with my paychecks not being accurate for the regular/overtime hours worked. Was also practically begged to take a counter person position by management and then robbed of the opportunity as they decided to hire someone else instead. Overall terrible work experience

Pros

Good job if lazy and don't care

Cons

Terrible pay

Productive and fun workplace

Awesome place to work. The owner of the store was very easy going and a wealth of happiness and respect. I learned so very much from him and his team. 100%

Pros

Hour Lunch

Cons

Better than a lot of places

worked here for almost 9 years with steady employment, very good benefits and staff discounts, I had a good experience overall and would recommend to anyone

Very Stressful, ignorant customers, not worth it

There’s not a lot of nice things to say, corporate ran the whole thing, store managers were just puppets, it’s was satifing to help people but most of the regulars were ignorant not worth my time to help.It’s too bad, corporate is so unorganized, that you’re set up for failure as soon as you start.What a shame

Pros

Company discount

Cons

Stressful, ignorant valley customers

Management is out to lunch. Politics before people.

I worked for Napa in Edmonton and Calgary in multiple locations in both cities. I was with Napa for at least 5 years. Managers in Edmonton were delighted to deligate any and all of their tasks to employees below them they think are well suited to the task. They picked favorite staff members who didn't have to work as much, as hard, and got preferential scheduling. My first year with Napa in Edmonton I had 2 weekends off (Saturday and Sunday) out of 52, and the only reason I got those weekends off is because I requested the time off 6 months prior, and I was still asked to work them both multiple times before the time off came. In Calgary I had a very enjoyable experience for about 3 years. Napa has a program that allows you to have your education paid for to get your Red Seal in Parts. I utilized this program while I was there which was wonderful, once my manager set me up for it but it took a long time to get into the program. I asked for about a year and a half and gave my notice before they put me in the program. There were some culture issues, but nothing crazy or unmanageable due to the small size of my store and limited staff. Until a few years ago when my store was broken into. I was the first on scene and I was also on the alarm call list. I was chastised for tending to the situation improperly, despite being provided zero training on how the company would want us to respond to a b&e.After all this wraps up and we get back to business as usual, they suspended & then terminated my store manager with no explanation to him or us. NO severance package and walked -

Pros

Excellent benefits package, if your a man you will likely get on fine here

Cons

Poor management, poor work life balance, heavy internal politics

Fast paced but day goes by very quick

Overall it is a pretty good place to work. Middle management though sometimes too quick with their flippant comments. I enjoy it for the most part good team atmosphere no one seems like they are trying to back stab you.

Pros

Good team atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes all you want is a short break and that can be hard to get.

Good team that worked hard and together.

I spent a year with napa and left on good terms to pursue new adventuresThe owners treat the staff like family.Lots of room for advancement. Steady consistent hours.Lots of support while learning

Pros

Christmas party bonus, onsite education, good training from lead staff

Cons

Constantly understaffed

Well-run. steady hours

have to wear uniformsno too much talkinginventory is accuratehorseplay is allowedlunch breaks are guaranteedcomputer trainingsteel toe mandatory

Pros

free BBQ once a year

Cons

No overtime

Super noisy, dark warehouse that makes me feel I am entering a jail cell

Supervisor was partial. He has a few favourite people who have no work ethics. Used to say Hi to all the team members but they don’t care to reply. These kind of employees are just a few, there are several good employees too. Working as a warehouse worker requires stepping on stools and staircases to put away parts. Management seems a bit lazy and not working towards any improvement towards the overall structure of the warehouse

Pros

No monitoring of your work

Cons

Supervisor getting feedback through other employees not evaluating you based on your performance

Fast paced

Performed numerous tasks from parts delivery to parts counter shipping receiving cash reports banking filing .. and more.. getting the opportunity the obtain a parts ticket would have been a great asset or and a course update for office assistant as I performed all these duties..

Pros

Was within walking distance to my home

Good place to get Warehouse experience but not a long-time career choice.

Messy and unorganized working environment, co-workers tend to stick to their cliques and are rude to new-comers, free hot beverages, hiring process is a total mess and confusing. Bad upper management and poor leadership from supervisors.

Pros

Free Hot Beverages, Company events, Salary

Cons

Poor leadership from Supervisors & Managers, REALLY BAD on-boarding process, Heavy lifting throughout the entire day, Picking machines (Raymond Reach) are filthy, old and batteries are almost always dead, Stocked product is unorganized, HR department located off-site and are useless, No pay raises or bonuses offered, No overtime available unless you have 5+ years seniority.

People at NAPA that I work with are great. The only problem is the salary is just minimum, whereas other companies are paying considerably more..

The job does become repetitive after about a month, only delivering parts to the same places everyday. You have to be able to lift up to 100lbs several times a day, not just a few times. Only 1 half hour break (timed) for lunch. Vehicles driven can be from a small car to a pickup truck, and most have damage and are a few years old. If you like driving and being alone most of the time, then this is a good job, but you will not be able to live on the wages.

Pros

Great discount on auto parts, and full medical, dental

Cons

Minimum wage pay, up to 200km driving in all weather. Very heavy lifting several time a day, only 1 half hour break a day (timed). Raises are not given on performance, but rather hours works. 1200 hours = .37 a hour raise

theyre always wanting current employees to move up in the company

I havent worked at Napa for very long, but already I am able to see how much of a family Napa has become. once you start the shift the supervisors make sure to say hello to every person, on birthdays you get a free lunch, you're able to work independently and questions are welcomed. every morning at the start of the day we have a meeting to discuss health and safety, anything ongoing and they give notice of internal hiring positions available. I find it such a positive. encouraging environment.

Pros

3 breaks, free birthday lunches, supervisors, people, work load, able to use your brain.

Cons

must pay very close attention to detail

Official response from NAPA Auto Parts

8 December 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. We are lucky to have so many outstanding people to build our teams!

Avoid Wonderland Location

I worked at the two of the VIP auto pro service centres. The Wellington location is a great spot with wonderful techs and management who took the time to take me in when I had no practical experience and try to help me learn as much as I could in the short time I was there. The Wonderland Location was a struggle to get anywhere with management as far as getting an apprenticeship sponsorship, a raise to fair pay, etc. If you're not a licensed technician, the Wonderland Location made it clear you were beneath the licensed staff members. Learning new tasks (a vital part of becoming an automechanic) was a battle and getting time off was met with resistance. Covid precautions were also very lax with management to a point of personal discomfort. Safety is also not a concern of the management at Wonderland, as working in potentially risky conditions was simply expected of you. I cannot speak for the Wharncliffe or Florence locations. The Wellington shop is a great place to work, and the Wonderland place is not, unless you're a licensed technician.

Cons

The Wonderland Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAPA Auto Parts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement