NAIT
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

NAIT Employee Reviews

Canada183 reviews

instructorstudentcontractdepartmentschoolstaffcareeryear

A good place to work, but with a lot of buts

Do you like to solve problems, and constantly be on the go? then this is the place for you. You are constantly busy, dealing with the problems within your own "department"Do you like progressive change? This place is not for you. It takes roughly 6 months for anything to happen, and if you want to create real change, the door will be slammed on your face really fast.NAIT has a problem where everything is silo'd, meaning one department doesn't talk to another, and the people who try to bridge those gaps, are often left in the dark. Do you want to get paid decently? NAIT does pay decently, but there hasn't been really any cost of living increases for 7 years, so the money you are earning is roughly 20-30% below the actual cost of living in Alberta now.There is a problem brewing within the organization, where change is happening, but it is going in the wrong direction.

Pros

Excellent benefits, Professional upgrading possible, excellent time off, generous vacation time

Cons

No cost of living increases, stagnant wages, no room for growth, no room for change, really poor food quality on campus (outside the student run operations). Perceived favouritism.

I enjoy working at NAIT. I do wish the salaries were abit better especially since everything else is going up. Overall I enjoy working here. I have a great boss and team - very collaborative. I would recommend NAIT.

Pros

Work life balance. Good team. Good supervisor.

Cons

Executive management I feel isn’t always wanting what’s best for the employees, Wage could be better.

Insights into NAIT

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

terrrible place to work

The management were awful, didnt care about employee welfare, were not there when the place closed, didnt know what was happening, they were totally stressed out, and all they did was offer critiscism and no's , when they didnt even know any of the proceedures

Extremely poor work ethics

The management is creepy. if you are a women, expect to turn on your camera for teams meeting to make executive happy. Executives can get away with anything. They give raises to each other and gives awards to each other. You can check it yourself No one except the executives have got a raise in past 5 years. They will never support you and won't hesitate to throw you under the bus to save their screw ups. Multiple times I felt filing a formal complaint against them but to whom? They all are watching each other's back If you report to HR, they will contact the executives and tell them.

Pros

No one is dying

Great bosses

Good work life balance. You can take days off for other jobs and school. Amazing people and bosses. You learn so much and lots of room to grow and advance.

I love working at NAIT. Lots of time off and just a good atmosphere.

I love working at NAIT. Lots of time off and just a good atmosphere. Leadership differs from Department to Department, but generally they get things like work-life balance.

Healthy environment and excellent peer support and management.

Varied tasks, self reliant and guided. culture very positive. Staff appreciation best family Christmas party for entire family of staff, Santa and gifts for kids. management available when needed and staff trust level very high. The most enjoyable part of job was seeing peers and talking with participants.

Pros

very Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Part time position only for job.

Easy going place, terrible politics.

Great place to work. Stay out of the politics. Understand that the corporate structure is designed to preserve itself with minimal progress to actual solutions. If you get that then the place has tonnes of opportunities to learn and grow your career. Lots of great people to work with.

Pros

Work life balance. People.

Cons

Politics

Top 50 Employers? HA!

Poorly managed. Seems the only people that matter are Executives. Sucking up and Nepotism are the only ways to advance. Constantly hiring under qualified people for positions and not training them properly.

Cons

Inept management, Horribly wasteful.

A good place to be

I've worked in upgrading for a couple of years now and have only good things to say about the people and department. I'd like to have more contracts or better yet a continuous position, but I understand this is more a matter of provincial funding then school policy.

productive

It was very busy. They will provide you a good training. Co-workers are great but the management is not. There is no advancement and take too long to be a permanent.

I used to think it was a great place to work.

I used to think it was a great place to work. But some stuff happened that was really innappropriate and I will never recommend NAIT to anyone anymore. Management makes decisions that weren't best for the business and negatively effects many people.

Pros

Christmas break off

Cons

Slow to implement change, No management transparency, Union environment means a lot of mediocre employees; if you shine they just give you more work

Was the greatest work experience of my professional career. I was fortunate to have a manager that was a natural leader and role model.

As with most institutional environments the pace is generally laid back compared to the private sector. Generally speaking the only stress I experienced was the stress I decided to bring with me. The environment can be a complex web of protocol and procedure, especially when finances are involved, but with time one learns to wield this bureaucracy against itself for a common good. Departments can be a touched compartmentalised, but with extraordinary staff that often. The greatest benefit is free access to higher learning to be able to work and earn a degree in any number of fields.

Pros

Free Education Excellent Family Health Plan Adequate Salary with room for growth Work Life Balance

Cons

Some departments are certainly better that others, Experiences may vary with certain management

Depending on which department you are in will determine how you are treated

Great first 10 years in however, the last 2 years showed management in other areas was not very transparent, it was extremely dishonest and did not care for employees. Was a very stressful and unrewarding time.

Pros

Great co-workers, excellent benefits

Cons

The Continuing Education department has extremely bad management, deceptive and deceitful.

Toxic work environment

This was a toxic work environment between both staff and management. There is an incredible amount of compartmentalization meaning the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. The focus is purely on economics, not staff satisfaction or student success, unless you call pushing everyone through no matter their performance 'student success'. Employees are purely a number and even when requested there is no allowance for growth or advancement in your career. It is time invested I will never get back.

Pros

summers off

Cons

7 days a week during school semester

Great Culture

I enjoyed working at NAIT. They have a culture of respect which makes you feel like you are working with your friends.You will be provided training of some of the work processes.You will learn on the Job and can ask question when in doubt

Confusing and Hand's off

I had never worked for them before and aside from the first day hello's there was no real help or training. They just expected me to learn as I went, without much support, instruction or communication. My other co-workers also did not help or try to establish a good working environment. I am supersized that there are not more complaints.

Pros

Working with the kids

Cons

Bad communication between management and workers

Dont work there!

The department where i worked was very unorganized, There was never any help to the employees, the job had absolutely no security, the turn over rate was incredible!The managers were uninterested in the safety of thier employees, and had a basic lack of respect

Pros

work day hrs.

Cons

no perks, no help, no guidance

Disorganized. Unprofessional. Toxic.

I was really excited to work here. I was disappointed by the reality of working here. The backbiting and administrative mayhem must be seen to be believed. I decided NAIT wasn't for me.

Pros

Students

Cons

Everything else

Unkept promises

Tell you everything you want to hear in interviews. Lots of room for growth, erc,etc.etc. Company constantly lies to employees on all issues. Hold employees in short term contracts to avoid giving benefits all while constantly reassuring employees that full time will be waiting at end of contract. They will always let you go to avoid giving benefits and vacation time. Have let most full time teachers go to replace with contract teachers. Educations are greatly impacted by this.

Pros

A paycheque

Cons

Management are liars

shop at NAIT fun and relaxing environment

Work shifts usually at management's discretion, but very accommodating if you're a student. Work shifts were also pretty infrequent for new workers due to large pool of new employees. Would typically help customers with their inquries, help customers checkout their purchases, occasionally help out in restocking items, will frequently find things to keep you somewhat busy. Typically see a rush in the start of the semester, and the rest of the time will be mostly quiet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAIT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NAIT with

Learn about NAIT in popular locations

• NAIT