NAIT
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

NAIT Employee Reviews

Canada174 reviews

Easy going place, terrible politics.

Great place to work. Stay out of the politics. Understand that the corporate structure is designed to preserve itself with minimal progress to actual solutions. If you get that then the place has tonnes of opportunities to learn and grow your career. Lots of great people to work with.

Pros

Work life balance. People.

Cons

Politics

Healthy environment and excellent peer support and management.

Varied tasks, self reliant and guided. culture very positive. Staff appreciation best family Christmas party for entire family of staff, Santa and gifts for kids. management available when needed and staff trust level very high. The most enjoyable part of job was seeing peers and talking with participants.

Pros

very Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Part time position only for job.

Insights into NAIT

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Top 50 Employers? HA!

Poorly managed. Seems the only people that matter are Executives. Sucking up and Nepotism are the only ways to advance. Constantly hiring under qualified people for positions and not training them properly.

Cons

Inept management, Horribly wasteful.

A good place to be

I've worked in upgrading for a couple of years now and have only good things to say about the people and department. I'd like to have more contracts or better yet a continuous position, but I understand this is more a matter of provincial funding then school policy.

productive

It was very busy. They will provide you a good training. Co-workers are great but the management is not. There is no advancement and take too long to be a permanent.

I used to think it was a great place to work.

I used to think it was a great place to work. But some stuff happened that was really innappropriate and I will never recommend NAIT to anyone anymore. Management makes decisions that weren't best for the business and negatively effects many people.

Pros

Christmas break off

Cons

Slow to implement change, No management transparency, Union environment means a lot of mediocre employees; if you shine they just give you more work

Was the greatest work experience of my professional career. I was fortunate to have a manager that was a natural leader and role model.

As with most institutional environments the pace is generally laid back compared to the private sector. Generally speaking the only stress I experienced was the stress I decided to bring with me. The environment can be a complex web of protocol and procedure, especially when finances are involved, but with time one learns to wield this bureaucracy against itself for a common good. Departments can be a touched compartmentalised, but with extraordinary staff that often. The greatest benefit is free access to higher learning to be able to work and earn a degree in any number of fields.

Pros

Free Education Excellent Family Health Plan Adequate Salary with room for growth Work Life Balance

Cons

Some departments are certainly better that others, Experiences may vary with certain management

Depending on which department you are in will determine how you are treated

Great first 10 years in however, the last 2 years showed management in other areas was not very transparent, it was extremely dishonest and did not care for employees. Was a very stressful and unrewarding time.

Pros

Great co-workers, excellent benefits

Cons

The Continuing Education department has extremely bad management, deceptive and deceitful.

Toxic work environment

This was a toxic work environment between both staff and management. There is an incredible amount of compartmentalization meaning the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. The focus is purely on economics, not staff satisfaction or student success, unless you call pushing everyone through no matter their performance 'student success'. Employees are purely a number and even when requested there is no allowance for growth or advancement in your career. It is time invested I will never get back.

Pros

summers off

Cons

7 days a week during school semester

Great Culture

I enjoyed working at NAIT. They have a culture of respect which makes you feel like you are working with your friends.You will be provided training of some of the work processes.You will learn on the Job and can ask question when in doubt

Confusing and Hand's off

I had never worked for them before and aside from the first day hello's there was no real help or training. They just expected me to learn as I went, without much support, instruction or communication. My other co-workers also did not help or try to establish a good working environment. I am supersized that there are not more complaints.

Pros

Working with the kids

Cons

Bad communication between management and workers

Dont work there!

The department where i worked was very unorganized, There was never any help to the employees, the job had absolutely no security, the turn over rate was incredible!The managers were uninterested in the safety of thier employees, and had a basic lack of respect

Pros

work day hrs.

Cons

no perks, no help, no guidance

Disorganized. Unprofessional. Toxic.

I was really excited to work here. I was disappointed by the reality of working here. The backbiting and administrative mayhem must be seen to be believed. I decided NAIT wasn't for me.

Pros

Students

Cons

Everything else

Unkept promises

Tell you everything you want to hear in interviews. Lots of room for growth, erc,etc.etc. Company constantly lies to employees on all issues. Hold employees in short term contracts to avoid giving benefits all while constantly reassuring employees that full time will be waiting at end of contract. They will always let you go to avoid giving benefits and vacation time. Have let most full time teachers go to replace with contract teachers. Educations are greatly impacted by this.

Pros

A paycheque

Cons

Management are liars

shop at NAIT fun and relaxing environment

Work shifts usually at management's discretion, but very accommodating if you're a student. Work shifts were also pretty infrequent for new workers due to large pool of new employees. Would typically help customers with their inquries, help customers checkout their purchases, occasionally help out in restocking items, will frequently find things to keep you somewhat busy. Typically see a rush in the start of the semester, and the rest of the time will be mostly quiet.

Excellent opportunity for growth

There have been tremendous opportunities to grow and develop my skills. Growth within the organization seems limited and any growth is definitely driven by the employee and the specific manager. Some are more supportive than others.

No care for workers

Worked at Nait for 14 years as a caretaker. Majority of years were ok. Never give raises and pay was terrible but a job to go to. Covid struck and management got us to stay behind and clean facilities top to bottom while all other staff worked from home. We asked for hand sanitizer dozens of times but never received any. After month of dangerous cleaning without proper protection, management cut all Facilities positions. Terrible people who don’t care about any employees besides themselves.

Pros

Students

Cons

Management and pay

Watch Out

Supposedly a top employer in Alberta was why I chose this job even at a much lower wage. They tell you all you want to hear at interview, lots of room for advancement, free training, great atmosphere. These are all lies by a terrible management team and HR department. No one moves anywhere at Nait, where you begin career is where you end career. Training is only offered if it 100 percent pertaining to current job. People want training to move up in company. Atmosphere is toxic as management is brutal and constantly going after union employees. Watch Out avoid Nait at all costs.

Pros

Cons

H.R, Management, Lies

Abolishments

Thought about writing a review for a few months after leaving Nait and here it is. I was instructor for 15 years at Nait. Kenney’s government wanted cuts so Nait had to made cuts. They came to all employees asking who would leave to save others as up to 180 positions would be cut. Myself along with many long term staff decided to walk away to save newer staff and those with less years served. After we all took the voluntary leaves Nait continued to let go of 288 people, none of which were managers. They straight up screwed us all over and still let way more go than they said. They used opportunity to dissolve union members. Nait is run by crooks and scumbags. Watch yourself as they will use you while lying to you entire career.

Pros

Teachers and students

Cons

Managers and decision makers

Do not work here

Backstabbing and bullying between staff is common place at Nait. Management promotes internal fighting to try and break unions. Full time is unheard of nowadays as Nait has gone route of all contractors. Do not work here unless no other options available.

Pros

A job

Cons

Bullying

Zero

Would give this company a zero if possible but one is lowest score on Indeed. Nait claims to be a leading Polytechnic school but does not appreciate or pay people with educations in their own facilities. Any one besides managers with educations have been let go and replaced with foreign workers. Nait’s motto is One Nait, this could not be further from truth. Company is shattered by incompetent Management.

Pros

There is none

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAIT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement