NAIT

NAIT Employee Reviews

Work shifts usually at management's discretion, but very accommodating if you're a student. Work shifts were also pretty infrequent for new workers due to large pool of new employees. Would typically help customers with their inquries, help customers checkout their purchases, occasionally help out in restocking items, will frequently find things to keep you somewhat busy. Typically see a rush in the start of the semester, and the rest of the time will be mostly quiet.
The department where i worked was very unorganized, There was never any help to the employees, the job had absolutely no security, the turn over rate was incredible!The managers were uninterested in the safety of thier employees, and had a basic lack of respect
Pros
work day hrs.
Cons
no perks, no help, no guidance
I was really excited to work here. I was disappointed by the reality of working here. The backbiting and administrative mayhem must be seen to be believed. I decided NAIT wasn't for me.
Pros
Students
Cons
Everything else
Tell you everything you want to hear in interviews. Lots of room for growth, erc,etc.etc. Company constantly lies to employees on all issues. Hold employees in short term contracts to avoid giving benefits all while constantly reassuring employees that full time will be waiting at end of contract. They will always let you go to avoid giving benefits and vacation time. Have let most full time teachers go to replace with contract teachers. Educations are greatly impacted by this.
Pros
A paycheque
Cons
Management are liars
There have been tremendous opportunities to grow and develop my skills. Growth within the organization seems limited and any growth is definitely driven by the employee and the specific manager. Some are more supportive than others.
Worked at Nait for 14 years as a caretaker. Majority of years were ok. Never give raises and pay was terrible but a job to go to. Covid struck and management got us to stay behind and clean facilities top to bottom while all other staff worked from home. We asked for hand sanitizer dozens of times but never received any. After month of dangerous cleaning without proper protection, management cut all Facilities positions. Terrible people who don’t care about any employees besides themselves.
Pros
Students
Cons
Management and pay
Supposedly a top employer in Alberta was why I chose this job even at a much lower wage. They tell you all you want to hear at interview, lots of room for advancement, free training, great atmosphere. These are all lies by a terrible management team and HR department. No one moves anywhere at Nait, where you begin career is where you end career. Training is only offered if it 100 percent pertaining to current job. People want training to move up in company. Atmosphere is toxic as management is brutal and constantly going after union employees. Watch Out avoid Nait at all costs.
Pros
Cons
H.R, Management, Lies
Thought about writing a review for a few months after leaving Nait and here it is. I was instructor for 15 years at Nait. Kenney’s government wanted cuts so Nait had to made cuts. They came to all employees asking who would leave to save others as up to 180 positions would be cut. Myself along with many long term staff decided to walk away to save newer staff and those with less years served. After we all took the voluntary leaves Nait continued to let go of 288 people, none of which were managers. They straight up screwed us all over and still let way more go than they said. They used opportunity to dissolve union members. Nait is run by crooks and scumbags. Watch yourself as they will use you while lying to you entire career.
Pros
Teachers and students
Cons
Managers and decision makers
Backstabbing and bullying between staff is common place at Nait. Management promotes internal fighting to try and break unions. Full time is unheard of nowadays as Nait has gone route of all contractors. Do not work here unless no other options available.
Pros
A job
Cons
Bullying
Would give this company a zero if possible but one is lowest score on Indeed. Nait claims to be a leading Polytechnic school but does not appreciate or pay people with educations in their own facilities. Any one besides managers with educations have been let go and replaced with foreign workers. Nait’s motto is One Nait, this could not be further from truth. Company is shattered by incompetent Management.
Pros
There is none
Cons
People at Nait are great and jobs are not overly tough. It is sink or swim for first few months as you don't ever seem to get feedback from Nait. Lots of backstabbing at Nait as there is no room for advancement and employees believe this is best way to move up ladder. Management is by far worst I have ever seen, they do nothing but divide staff.
Pros
Benefits, steady paycheque
Cons
Nait has always been a divided workplace between management and employees. It always worked though as they did their own thing and left staff somewhat alone. Makes me sick to see the way they have treated a lot of my friends and colleagues over the last few months. Government had cutbacks so they have decided all low income employees should be let go permanently instead of a few of the Managers who do nothing. Ridiculous!!!
Pros
Staff
Cons
Management, No room to advance
Caretaker supervisor at Nait who was recently let go after going above and beyond for staff and students. We worked our tails off for Covid 19 reasons and management just made decision to let us all go. No facilities maintenance at all at school anymore. There are hundreds of contractors that Nait pays to sit at schools full time with very little work for them. Why would they not let go of contractors before Naits full time permanent staff? I will tell you why- There are hundreds of manager’s at Nait that now have no staff to manage. They sit back making their six figure wages to do nothing. So sad to see what school has become.
Pros
Was the staff
Cons
Nait has let go of almost all full time Employees over last few years. 300 just this year. Contractors have full access to school and grounds while full time struggle to get access to a key or Computer room. Not the school they claim, be very careful if looking for work here.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Paid parking, Layoffs all the time
Hold employees hostage by promising full time positions over and over. Signed 6 month contracts 4 times, while promising next time we will give you full time job with benefits. Employees are always worries that today will be last. Just laid off hundreds of great people. Do not care about anyone, you are a number to them.
Pros
Students, Grounds
Cons
Politics, Favouritism, Management
Nait could be a great place to work if you are in the elite entitled groups. Staff is very divided with a-lot of people treated very poorly. Getting a straight answer from management is impossible as they constantly lie and hide their plans for future. Most employees are contract now as Nait is too cheap to pay benefits for people.
Pros
Salary and people
Cons
Worked at Nait for 23 years as a custodian. People and place were amazing for so long then things changed a few years ago. We were all equals at one time but managers changed all that and workplace became unbearable. We worked day and night to clean schools and facility’s during Covid to protect everyone while all Management and teachers stayed safely at home. We were proud to do it. They just laid us all off and replaced us with contactirs a day later. What a terrible thing to do to people. You people will burn one day for actions like these.
Pros
People, facilities
Cons
Management, toxic environment
Top of Employer in Alberta for 9 years. Wow is that a purchased title. Company does nothing to enhance, teach, or help employees with future goals. Where you start at Nait is where you will finish. Employee evaluations are not even done anymore as there are no pay increases or goals to achieve. It is a place to work and nothing more.
Pros
Benefits and employees
Cons
Politics and Management
Impossible to perform job on a daily basis because of all the hurdles management has in place. Could be a good place if you were not handcuffed by so many rules. Environment has become unbearable and toxic because of mass layoffs.
Benefits
Cons
Management and Rules
Was such a great place until a few years ago. Pay was great, people were excellent to each other and felt like home. That has all drastically changed at Nait now. Pay raises have been gone for years. People are constantly backstabbing each other to appease management for fear of being next to be let go. There is 2 separate worlds at Nait. Those in tower vs everyone else. No interaction between departments at all. Be cautious if you work here.
Pros- Great benefits, beautiful grounds and building. Cons- Management, Reckless spending on contractors. Polytechnic school with all trades on site but Nait pays Edon Management for 30 Journeyman to sit at school permanently with only 2 of the members having work daily. Why not use instructors and students to do work as learning for trades? Constant layoffs, no job security.
  1. Employee reviews