NAIT Employee Reviews

Canada140 reviews
Best job in the world if it wasn't for management/decision makers
Like I said, working at NAIT would be the best place to work if the people making the decisions had some clue of what's going on.
This is supposed to be a school but the business side (making money) is more important than the academic. Which is ironic given how much money is thrown away for things that are not needed. Note: I can only speak for my department but I heard similar stories from other staff in completely different departments.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Be ready to work outside office hours. That is if you really want to do your job right, If you care too much you will be stressed. Common sense is not that common.
Not friendly
If you are not in one of the office groups they will make your life miserable. Other instructors like to gang up on anyone that they consider different then them.
Good institution to work
I enjoyed my time working here as my team was collaborative and nice. My team lead was also very nice and respectful. There are lovely students you get to meet and help, while some are appreciative, others are snugs
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Some students aren't nice
Excellent
NAIT is great place to work. In the beginning, it can be very stressful, and it feels like you will sink or swim, until you get comfortable with the courses you learning to instruct.
nice place to work
great place to work, good people, good environment, in these uncertain time in Alberta job security is not really there, overall you get out what you put in
Productive and fun place to learn.
I would highly recommend everyone I know to pursue and and all avenues NAIT would be willing to accept your application for, if you do not have the means. NAIT will help organize student funding for you as well.
Fun place to work
Everyday you knew what you were doing, the staff was helpful, and my coworkers were always team players ,and always cheerful, very fast paced, the day went by fast
Hands on work
Hands on work experience with lab facility. Learn about control algorithms with high speed IGBTs using dSPACE real-time 'DS1104' TMS320F240 DSP for drive system
unbelievably toxic culture
Only apply here if desperate. The managers play favorites and hold short term contracts over employees' heads. They employ spies in the office and then use 'gotcha' moments as leverage.
Good Benefits
Workplace culture is conducive. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with nice people. A typical day at work is very straight forward but it is fun.
Learning
It is a great place to learn new and innovative techniques, I enjoyed working there. I would work there again. my goal one day is to become an instructor there.
No direction
Job description didn’t match what I actually had to do. Terrible manager who has since been fired. No direction really. Tedious tasks for someone way too experienced to do such menial chores.
Great leadership at this institution
Loved my time at NAIT. Was able to create, lead and empower a wonderful team of staff! Support was tremendous and I learned a great deal about leadership, strategic direction and change management.
productive
i like working here i have learned a lot from this company and they reward you with praise and you get chances to win things like a one a gift card by having my name entered into a draw when i completed my work on time the people i work with are comfortable to work with the only down side is not getting enough hours and being closed when their is no classes and it being Temporary if you like it you have to reapply.
Pros Good Pay

Cons not enough hours and no discount on your Food
fun place to work
work was fun and rewarding. corporate culture got in the way of true excitement of the job always having to do more with less. slow to change projects and policies to enhance student outcomes but overall a good work environment.
Fun
Nait was a great place to attend school. I learned a lot from the instructors and it was very safe and career orientated. Students were friendly and so was the instructors.
A good company to work for
It was a good place to work and I was fairly paid for what I did. The work was always a challenge and different tasks allowed me to be learning constantly.
Not Who They Claim To Be
NAIT was the first company whom I worked for which went out of their way to make you feel like part of the team. Becoming part of the NAIT culture was liberating. All until the time of staff reduction. When it was time to declare positions redundant, management did not look to keep the best instructors. NAIT did not consider the needs of their students when choosing staff to leave. Typically in trades, it is the younger instructors who relate better with their students, who take more time to update the delivery method, who put time into developing resources. Unfortunately, it was these instructors who were the first to go. Union or not, I believe it is a company's obligation to ensure the best people are in the best positions. I fully understand that it is much easier for management to layoff staff members based on years of service. However, if you plan on treating each employee as a number, don't tell them that they're hard work matters. Don't let them think that their hard work counts for anything. Here at NAIT, your date of hire is your job security.
Part time job during school
Working as a tutor is rewarding and the training I got on this job was very interesting. I learned about mental health first aid and teaching techniques that helped me to achieve my own personal best as a student at NAIT.
Very Poor Management
Instructors in my program were the worst trades people imaginable they hadn't advanced or made any changes to the program since 1993.
they were just happy to have a job that allowed them to search the internet and answer emails.
Hamstrung by Politics
NAIT is an amazing place. You can learn to do anything, and NAIT is the best place to start. Working there you can find or make a niche in your area of expertise. The winter holiday party last year was
LEGENDARY. Most times while working at NAIT I felt like a meaningful part of the institute. The opportunities and experience gained working in such a cutting edge environment, with passionate people is truely magnificent, but it will come at a cost. The bureaucratic inertia that is imposed by the shame that is the executive managerial level, full of ego-driven corporate political power games that create feifdoms and jealously guarded zones of control, will drive you mad and make you want to weep and forfeit. Sometimes that attitude trickles down and infests and manifests in various departments insular cultures.

HR messed up my Tax documents twice. My T1's. Two years in a row. After I pointed it out to them, twice.

You are not safe beyond the next political funding cut. You can be employee of the year and they'll still toss you to make the new political appointed executive budget-slashing toady happy.
Pros
Education on tap. Practical knowledge applied daily.
Cons
Bureaucratic inertia leading to insular cultures across disciplines