Murphys the cable wharf Employee Reviews

Awesome Restaurant Job
Runner (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 May 2019
The staff at Murphy's on the Water is like family! The workplace is enjoyable as it has an amazing harbour view, and the pay is very fair with good tips
Eh
Banquet Server/Runner/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 March 2019
Some people were very friendly but others were extremely unfriendly and overall, walking into working everyday I felt judged and like I didn't belong. Also very unorganized in my opinion, as well as the fact that out of all the management I met, not a single one of them was friendly.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Not nice people, stressful environment
Server
Server/Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 March 2019
Murphys wasn't a bad job. Had it's ups and downs. You can make very good money but you usually should be prepared to work painfully long hours and banquets are terrible.
Amazing
Line Cook (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2018
Amazing management, amazing team, amazing work. Management coaches you when you need it but also lets you work independently as need be. Team always has a few laughs together while delivering top notch work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Seasonal
Productive and fun workplace with a great atmosphere on the Halifax Harbourfront.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 April 2018
Awesome workplace culture that helped me to gain extensive experience in customer service. Management was great and coworkers became close friends in no time.
High paced work environment with motivated staff and management
Host (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE8 February 2018
In my experience with any MHG restaurant, the experience has been very good. Fellow staff and helpful management make the working experience excellent. The environment is fantastic, with constant high energy and work ethic.
Pros
discounted meals, positive staff
Cons
Late nights, unreliable hours
Everyday is a new day
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 February 2018
While at murphy's I was able to diversify, cross-train and work multiple different positions and what makes me always want to return every season are the people I work with. Whether you're working on a boat, in the restaurant or private event, teamwork and proper training is what makes it or break it for a company like Murphys. Management has changed a lot which has caused many issues on work-place consistency and standards which creates a flawed system overall. It was hard to communicate with management in general because it was only ever one-way communication (no general staff meetings, training sessions, standards, employee handbook etc) The hardest part of the job was overstaffing and the majority of the new staff members were not properly initiated or trained, thus rendering an incompetent work-staff.
Tha most enjoyable aspect of the job was being able to work in the restaurant and on the boats, decent hours, and the new people you meet on a day to day basis.
Pros
industry discount
Cons
Long Hours with no overtime
Fun Summer Job
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 November 2017
Had a very enjoyable summer working at Murphy's. Good staff, good work culture, had a lot of fun working with everyone. Definitely recommend this to anybody looking for a great summer job.
First Dish washing job ever, very high turnover of tables and then the party boat dishes too!
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 September 2017
This job was very difficult and I usually worked overtime with my coworkers because it was demanding but there is a policy for washing dishes correctly. When the cruise ships got sick two summers ago down Halifax, Murphy's kitchen didn't get sick because we followed all the rules always!
Pros
Close walk from Home
Cons
Demanding
Amazing
Bartender/Supervisor/Tour Guide/Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 July 2017
Murphys was my first job ever and definitely one of the more memorable I will ever have. I started there as a 15 year old and carried on until I was 21. Some of my best summers ever were down on the waterfront. I worked on the boats exclusively and I did most of the roles from deckhand to bartender to boat manager. Loved it!
Pros
water all day long, great friends, fun job
Cons
long hours, bad pay
easy going work and great staff
3rd Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2017
loved working in the kitchen been doing it for 8 years and i miss the fun and i miss the staff that i worked with. like how it was fast pace and very time i worked i was also learning something new and was able to work on my skills. i would have to say the hardest part of the job was the long hours as all of my other jobs were usually 5-6 hours long
Pros
free staff meal
Learning Opportunity
Bartender and Lead Bartender (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 May 2017
Being a bartender was a difficult learning curve, but it was a challenge I was happy to conquer. It took time to do so, but with a commitment to improving and a good work ethic I found the difficulties of the job could be overcome.
Depending on what position you take, you may actually have a great time working here
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 October 2016
I was hired on at the end of the summer as tour guide. I was expecting to get some formal training but that was not the case. No information about the tours were provided, I had to learn as I went along and even then there was no quality control.
For the most part it's enjoyable as a short time thing and there's always the opportunity to earn extra money from tips.
Management is a joke and it's impossible to contact anyone that will listen and acknowledge any concerns.
Most enjoyable part are the co-workers and the people you get to meet working in this field.
Pros
Meeting tourists, hanging out on the boats/Halifax waterfront during the summer
Cons
Communication issues within management
Fun coworkers, workplace was disorganised
Server (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 December 2014
Long hours on feet, lots of running around but made good money.
Pros
1 break per day
Murphys
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 March 2014
long hours, go atmosphere, management was okay. Coworkers are great everyone got along pretty well.
regular kitchen job
2nd Chef (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 October 2013
very busy at the time i was there which i loved and the head chef Gaston i learned alot from so everyday i was learnign which was great
Pros
busy, and great leadership in the kitchen
Cons
i took a pay cut to go there cause i know i would get more hours
Murphy's
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 October 2013
Longs day, fun atmosphere, hard workers. Management was okay, we got what we need.