MRC Global

MRC Global Employee Reviews

Canada39 reviews
it was a stressful work place for me maybe because i was expecting more due to were i use to work before this place and i was also going through a lot in my personal life at that time.
All stakeholders involved in decisions and great work work culture. Very safety conscious and care about each employee.I have currently applied to return to MRC Global because it such a great work environment.
If you liked the immature high school experience, work here. If you have a life and don't want to become the water cooler topic .... don't apply here.
Lack of communication with new hires. No recommendations good or bad. Training on-line is good, in-person is not good at all. You may be the fall person for something that was out of your control with a very poor decision at the corporate level. Manager is very unrealistic and forgets what it was like to start out as a new employee. He expects everyone to have his knowledge, experience and he has very poor communication skills.
With over 100 people working at MRC Global, there is a lot of different cultures that I work with. I am very positive in my position and handle all situations with positivity.
I worked here several years. This company is about who you know rather than how hard to you work. If you aren't buddies with someone in management you will never move up in this company. No raises unless you really fight for it. It's all about production which will never be good enough. Year's of wasted time.
Good company to work,people are awesome,I learn a lot from this experience as my first job as a warehouse associate, i will highly recommend this company to my friends.
Excellent local management. very willing to listen and work with the staffs needs. Co-workers are great.
my beef is with it being owned the an American company and their disconnect with our true market evaluations.

over all the wage was fare for what was asked of me.
MRC is good.
We provide product solutions to our customer portfolio.

Learned to quote, sell, package goods.

I think they have a lot of good things working for them.
Pros
lunches, hockey games
Cons
long hours, operations management
This could be a great place to work but anyone who works there will quickly realize that the entire Canadian operation is run negatively by 2 people. These 2 are not open to original ideas from staff that aren't thier own. If you do speak up you are labeled and removed in the next round of layoffs. I worked there 2 years and in that time they had several rounds of layoffs and branch closures. The Canadian operation is so mismanaged that even 1 slow month they are not able to weather and will always cut staff. I saw no other cost cutting measures while there except cutting staff and closing branches. All while hiring sales people and giving them brand new trucks. I was an upper level manager and was not given any decision power, it all goes through the 2. Took 5 months to backfill a $20/hr person and then I had to hire them through a temp agency so some VP in the US didnt see a headcount increase. It's all about the bottom line at MRC. Another US company that is out of touch with its Canadian operation and market. Raises were barely cost of living if you got one at all. In the end they let me go just before raise time so they wouldn't have to give me one and then the next day advertised my position online. They will pay someone much less to do my same job. STAY AWAY.
Pros
Nice Co Workers.
Cons
The management is terribly uncoordinated and out of touch with the people on the floor. They don't care about their employees if you get laid off don't expect to be called back when they need people again. No room to advance unless you're friends with management. No room to get a raise they will always tell you raises are improvement based and you haven't improved enough to deserve it. I worked there for 4 years and was laid off while on doctor ordered light duty because they decided I wasn't worth their time anymore I was cleared for work the next day. They treat you like scum of the earth for every incident instead of working with you to improve their process. Not worth your time or energy.
Pros
The people you meet
Cons
Management, pay scale, no advancement, treatment, attitudes
I worked for MRC for 5+ years in multiple roles, in that time never seen a raise/bonus, management is a joke, the overall morale of the employees has gone out the window, the regional and managers think buying pizza every so often makes up for their lack of being present on the floor, or their lack of listening to their employees problems/issues. Unless your friends with the management there will be no advancement in this place. DONT EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME!! way better companies out there! Disappointed in myself for even staying as long as I did, hoping it would get better.. loved my coworkers but it doesn't make up for a bad work environment...
Pros
Fellow coworkers, benefits plan
Cons
Management, no raises/bonuses, lack of work/life balance
Worked at MRC for 6 years and when new management took over 4 years ago (2014) things went downhill fast. In the position in North East Alberta management made it nearly impossible to succeed and service clients the way they should be serviced.
The requirement is 12 hour days and every third weekend which made work life balance non existent.

If you have a family or value any kind of life outside of work, don’t bother applying for an inside sales/technical sales position with this company.
Pros
Pay is just alright
Cons
Everything else
typical day includes coordinating freight, scheduling deliveries and sales calls to customers.Take telephone calls from customers procure items as needed and arrange shipment. Prepare quotes as needed. Meet and exceed sales budgets. Provide excellent customer service. Sometimes required to work evenings and weekends if there is a turnaround or emergency.
Pros
team environment
Cons
not enough hours in a day
- great salary
-great benefits

-great business culture

-ability to grow and stay with this company

-management is committed to their employees and customers
Pros
great work environment
Cons
can experience long hours
The company cares more about its bottom line than it does about its employees. The Culture has changed a lot around the workplace and its just not an enjoyable place to be. Everyone seems stressed out and miserable. I believe the new managment is in way over their heads and it shows.
Working at MRC Global was busy and had many challenges from day to day to meet deadlines. I learned how to manage my time better and build relationships with clients to make my job easier. The work environment and management was good. Doing team building events help moral in the company and it got the employees to maximize their productivity. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines. This meant working late and coming in early to meet bid deadlines. The best part of the job was my coworkers and the team mentality that developed in our inside sales group.
Pros
Good pay with bonuses
Cons
long hours and short deadline times
It was a great opportunity to work with such a amazing group of people l, took on long hours and lots of new task also lots of training on the forklift
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Knowledgeable staff will meet your needs within a moments notice. Dedicated to servicing the oil and gas industry with perfection. Staff is very orientated with the products provided.
Pros
Hour lunch break
Cons
No overtime
taken over by accountants and a loss of respect for all employees not on the executive board. Canadian operations are deemed as a anchor and not an important asset.
Good co-workers work good with one other,
The company is good family frist type company,

This job gave me more experience with talking to people and putting orders together and computer experience with there sims and word 2013.
Pros
Home aver night
Cons
Only weekends off