Mr. Pretzels Employee Reviews

Poor working conditions and mistreatment of employees
Food Prep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 September 2019
I learned how to effectively manage my time during high revenue times with this job, but the management in this job is not the best and neither is the hiring rate.
Hirees do not always last long as they tend to be let go without warning because the employers do not follow legal working laws.
Bad experience
employee (Former Employee) –  Bayshore, ON20 August 2019
Bad management that doesn’t rly care abt employees, they sit at home and watch employees through cameras and one time told us to stop laughing/smiling to each other while working. A lot of manual labour when closing, over an hour of cleaning. Usually understaffed and changes in schedule mid-week with no warning. Butter also splatters ur face throughout the day & u get a lot of burns that scar.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
It’s a terrible job
Decent place but rather not
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 August 2019
Management sucked.
We were either under staffed or over staffed. People constantly called in Sick so we were mostly understaffed. The manager came in with acrylics and 6 cm earring hoops, and refused to do work. The owner and the manager are friends and that's how she got hired. She had zero training and shows up and leaves as she pleases..
Cons
Dont, save your time and find a better place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 July 2019
I worked at mr pretzels for 7 months, in that time I saw so many unethical handlings of customer and employee complaints. The actual manager doesn’t vet his people, my old kiosk manager had 0 experience and it shows, she can not even roll a pretzel correctly. She hired her brother whom also is awful at his job but yet gets better shifts??? Ah the nepotism.
Upon my interview I was told that the hardest workers are the ones that get the best hours, this is completely untrue as it became clear that there was very little communication between the manager of the kiosk and her boss. Or she would just flat out lie. My other coworkers would consistently show up late, and once they did show up would automatically leave to go for a smoke and when they returned had no sense of urgency even if we had a line up of people. These managers and the people that run these kiosk are crooks and they make way to much money for the minimal amount of work they put in. The labour board is being notified to hopefully put an end to their corrupt system and dishonesty and in hopes of saving a teenager or anyone else from having to waste their time on putting in effort at this place.
Some mangers are crooks
making pretzels and cashier (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC21 July 2019
I worked there 2 weeks before getting fired. My manager expected me to do 3 different tasks simultaneously instead of hiring other employees. In addition he paid me under the table for 10$ an hour instead of what was supposed to be 12$ an hour at the time and paid less hours that I actually worked. I had no breaks and when I asked to use the bathroom he said hurry up. To this day every time I walk by theres a new employee. Don’t work at Mr.Pretzel in Carrefour Angrignon Lasalle he’ll rip you off and fire you.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, under paid, to much expectations
Not a terrible place for a first Job.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2019
Working for Mr. Pretzles, depending on the franchise owner; can be a pleasent experience. It's a great place for a first time job to learn what it's like to work in a fast paced environment and how to deal with customers on a daily basis.
There's a lot to be said about this company's choice of owners and managers; but that's at any place. They don't much care for making their employees feel welcome or valued. This company lacks incentive for sure.
While my experience with this company may not have been the best do not let it dissuade you from giving them a chance.
Pros
Free Pretzles
Cons
Terrible Owners/Managers
Horrible workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 June 2019
Very unprofessional and uneducated managers have no idea how to run a company will be out of business in no time because they do not follow health and safety protocols. Do not accommodate to loyal employees schedules and hours, pays are usually late or not full amount. Best shifts are given to favourites employees. Dishes were never washed correctly, employees were unsanitary, would not wash hands after touching things that carry germs. Hair was constantly found in pretzel dough and workers touched pretzels while sick and caught good into hands.
Pros
Free pretzels
Pretzel maker/decorator (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 June 2019
It’s good but with new management I think it’s ok but it could be better. Its a great atmosphere and great people to work with until u have some form of disability then u may find itself looking for other work
Pros
Free pretzels, good discounts
Cons
Management sucks
Rude management
Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2019
coworkers are friendly but management is rude. they watch you through the cameras which is quite annoying because you always feel like someone is watching you while you work. Also when sampling they expect you to walk back and forth the kiosk for hours and not stop smiling.
Pros
free pretzels
Cons
management
Productive workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 June 2019
Was an alright place to work at. Felt very welcomed and comfortable other than how rude the managers were at times. The job was easy and i gained more experience from this job.
Pros
Free Pretzels
Cons
Managers were rude at times
awful disorganized management
Team Member (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON7 June 2019
Awful disorganized management- schedules posted at midnight the day before shifts.
Awful, rude training
Lots of problems with scheduling, specifically sending out a schedule and then re-doing the schedule in the middle of the week without warning + scheduling most employees outside of availability or days they booked off.
Hard to communicate with manager because he never replied until midnight.
Pros
easy
Cons
cuts many peoples hours
friendly staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 May 2019
It's always been a pleasure working there. The manager and staff are friendly in nature and always there for help. The manager is co-op with staff very well.
Fun environment but management needs a lot of work. Overworked students and abusing authority.
Senior member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2019
The poor students are overworked and abused. Management abuses their authority and mistreat their employees. Not enough recognition for the workers. But the employees somehow make it fun for us to visit.
Pros
Some people who are nice.
Cons
Rude people.
coworkers are great, management doesn't care about you
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2019
coworkers are nice and welcoming but management is always looking over your shoulder (through the security cameras) waiting to catch you messing up so its hard to relax and actually enjoy working. also three month probation is silly
Pros
free pretzels
Cons
management is MESSY
It was a job
Baker/Seller (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 January 2019
Taught me as a young worker to be disciplined, organized and time management. I learned customer service tactics and communication with clients and co-workers.
A decent workplace
Pretzel Maker (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2018
Flexible schedule makes it easy to balance school and work. Huge downside of working there is upper management shows lack of interest and care for their employees.
Mr Pretzels: Don't take a sample
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 September 2018
From my experience, the other employees are amazing (most of them). Unfortunately, due to the poor management and poor treatment of these amazing people, they're all leaving. The majority of the management is pretty okay but the bad apples in there are pretty brutal. All I'm saying is, the first three months at a new job are considered a probation, so, by law you're allowed to leave with no notice during this time, just keep that in mind. All employees deserve to be treated with respect. This was just my experience at 2 of the locations owned by the same people. Good luck and remember probation!
Welcoming and Kind environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2018
Working at Mr. Pretzels was a great experience for people with little to no work experience. The other employees were all kind and welcoming of any new members. Hours were fairly generous and the environment was quite organized and everyone worked well as a team.
Pros
Free Pretzels
Enjoyable and friendly work space.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 July 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with and I enjoyed the different change of paces.
I learned how to work with different personalities and how to be a leader when need be.
The management was accommodating to the employees needs.
The workplace culture was good, everyone knew where the company started.
The hardest part was dealing with the difficult customers but that happens on a rear occurrence. Having those experiences were a learning lesson every time and I have more of a knowledge dealing with those sorts of customers.
The most enjoyable were the employees. They made work fun and I have made life long friends.
Pros
Free pretzels on lunches and free waters
Cons
15 minute lunches for 8 hour work days.
not enjoyable at all, management was not very good and disorganized
Part-time worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2018
I thoroughly didn't enjoy working there, management was unorganized and didn't deal with problem solving well. equipment malfunctions were frequent, However the Calgary branch was new and had many things to get right as it was brand new when i began working there.
Cons
management, worker engagement