Mr. Mikes Steakhouse Casual

Mr. Mikes Steakhouse Casual Employee Reviews

Canada126 reviews
Prince George Mr. Mikes was a great place to work. The management was really good and they always accommodated my schedule. They like to change the menu up often which is something to keep you on your toes.
the management was absolutely horrendous. there's no way that anything else could make up for the management. i did not even go through the basic training week they offered everyone else, even though i was employed during that time. i also had very few shifts, even after requesting over 20 hours a week. i was not taught how to properly do my job, and there was absolutely no guidance for anything. it was terrible.
I have been working at Mr. Mikes Steakhouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth

Growing company

Cons

limited resources however its in development
The work drama is constant and out of control, and the restaurant is always dead. Don’t expect to ever advance here unless you plan on making no money for years.
Great staff, great atmosphere and the management is amazing! Such a fun group of energetic and outgoing people to be surrounded by on a daily basis with exceptional customer service skills!
Staff: Consistently friendly and helpful. Everyone gets along great, very positive culture. Those with better work ethic are consistently rewarded with better shifts, which is nice.
Starting Out: Intense training for a restaurant, but it was valuable. Online training courses that will take hours of your time, but will help prepare you for the job. Working front of house, there were several training shifts even though I had experience, but I felt very prepared and comfortable when I was given a shift to myself, and was skipped ahead in my training path once I proved myself ready.

Management: Consistently hard-working and genuinely cares about the quality of the restaurant's output. Cares about her staff's opinions and checks in regularly. Flexible, and always trying to improve the restaurant in some way. Never the source of any conflict. Great experience.

Pay: Servers get server minimum wage, but tips more than make up for this. Depending on the shift, the hourly is going to be at least 18, and up to 40 on a good night (wages plus tips). Back of house wages are consistently around 20$ with bi-weekly tip outs included
Staff was amazing for the most part. If you want a layer back job, with people that should have been let go a long time ago. This is the place for you.
Every day has a very similar routine. Cook, prep, clean lists and so on. I learned how to do many managerial type duties and there was some room for growth.

Overall, management is very inconsistent in terms of following work policies, delegating and overseeing proper cook procedures and work ethic. We have gone through 7-10 managers in just a few years. Otherwise there seemed to some favoritism, conflict of interest and many other issues that lead to inconsistencies in work place, poor team morale, and other conflict between many staff and management.

The hardest part of the job was trying to maintain consistency and maintain standards since it wasn't enforced among most team members.

The most enjoyable part was flexible work schedule, working with some friendly people and having a decent pay.
My time working with Mr Mikes was a positive experience. I loved the team and was fun working with them. i made a lot of friends there too. My manager treated me fairly and I would recommend this company to my friends.
During my employment, I learned extensive menu knowledge and food safety. Work ethic is highly recognized. Customers and staff are quite tempered and easy to work with, as well as the management have excellent judgement when handling issues. In my experience, knowing a manger will do everything possible to ensure guests are happy, without compromising on the value of staff and service, makes for a great work environment!
Pros
Discounted meals, quality food, relaxed environment
Cons
Not a very busy restaurant, therefore not many shifts during the week
Very friendly place, all the employees are super nice and get things to you as soon as possible. The food tastes amazing and the drinks are always nice and cold, coffee is just right.
staff is great. General manager is terrible to work for. Completely unprofessional, insensitive, and rude. Asked inappropriate questions during my interview asking first do I have children when I said no I’ve chosen not to have kids he proceeded to ask more than once why I don’t want children, which has nothing to do with my qualifications or the job. I was also punished for missing a shift for taking a family member to the emergency room. When I had only ever called in sick once before. Do not work here!
Good management and also friendly people. Great opportunity to learn new things and also show your skills. They provide fair wages and also some benefits.
Hired a ridiculous amount of people for opening, used them for the opening then could not provide hours, mangers acted like the lack of hours was not an issue, told employees that they would get hours (which never happened only got worse) Most would get cut after 2-2.5 hours.
They have very good training programs.

After 2 years and raising price plus chancing managements, the place slowly going down. You do not have any benefits.

they offer very good tips out ( $140 biweekly plus if you work more than 30 hrs per week)

People who work here mostly just need a job lots of time you end up to do people works.
Pros
good training
Cons
getting super slow
not a place i would go to work in dawson ever again , new management defiantly is not as good as the old management, place is slowly going down hill... really sad to see
Great coworkers, everyone gets along
Management is very understanding

50% off a meal when working. 20% otherwise

Easy to book days off

Pretty good money
Was a great place to work and restaurant has unlimited potential with some adjustments here and there.
Food is/was fantastic and more often than not work environment was great.
I did enjoy my job at Mr. Mikes but the management was below average. They overhired at opening and I was barely scheduled. As a result they had to lay me off.
Service is slow, guests are expected to wait quite awhile for their meals. Servers are trained to water down alcohol drinks with a lot of ice & steaks may be over/under cooked at times. ( if guests complain about an under-cooked steak, i’ve seen a chef get mad & toss a steak back on the grill with bare fingers!)
There is a real lack of communication from management towards staff.

The restaurant is not busy so,

ave is 15-18 hrs. work/wk. & it’s minimum-wage, no benefits are paid holidays, and no opportunity for advancement.
Mr Mikes is a great place to work, the workplace environment is the best I’ve ever worked in. Everyone is friendly and engaging, with a strong work hard play hard culture, which comes from the top down. Everyone is very open and there is no feeling of departmentalization or hierarchy that can plague other companies. The work environment is very fast paced and challenging, which creates a great environment for learning and growth. With the company growing so fast there is always something new to learn or opportunities available to take initiative and take on more. I appreciate this as it has given me the opportunity to grow quickly in my role and increase my responsibilities and move on to other roles. Even with the fast-paced environment and so much going on there are still many opportunities provided to let loose, de-stress and have some fun!