Mr. Lube Pay & Benefits reviews

come in do your job and leave
Lubrication Technician & Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON5 February 2016
depending on which franchise you work for the review will vary
generally its a good work environment but the pressure to make sales is not appropriate especially when they hit your wallet
Pros
comission based
Cons
if you do not sell what they want they take your full commission
Decent workplace and fast paced
Lube and Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON17 January 2016
Great place to start for a basic knowledge and experience into the automotive industry. Gets busy during tire seasons (Winter and Spring) but also has benefits as the bonus system is great.
Overall its a good place to start.
Pros
Decent Pay and Great Experience
Cons
Long Hours
fun work
automotive service technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2016
work on cars was the only good thing.
poor management
very poor structure for perks and less or no benefits.
Good place to start off with and learn technical things.
Short term job.
good job
technician (Former Employee) –  surrey bc29 June 2015
As i started at this job it was great,promised lots of bonus's and pay raises.as i soon found out the bonus's that we worked so hard for where easily taken away for minor incidents.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
work weekends
Decent work made difficult by a struggling industry
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 April 2015
The bar gets higher by the day when it comes to service standards and quality expectations in the automotive industry. Unfortunately for most quick-lubes, they won't be able to keep up forever. Car dealers continue to make products that require proprietary servicing, there's just no fighting that. This reality made the sales aspect of the job extremely difficult, many customers are skeptics and the "pitch" can be upsetting. It's often hard to clinch a sale without feeling like a bug.
I appreciated the experience, however, shifts were often long and breaks were short - sometimes neglected entirely. The "bonus" as an alternative to straight commission made for an extremely frightened staff, constantly in fear of financial repercussions that could befall them if they made a mistake. This was made worse by the relatively mediocre base pay (ranging mostly from minimum to $12.50/hr), meaning that without a healthy bonus, the skilled labour felt like it was being reciprocated with un-skilled pay.
Upsides, promotions are actually pretty easy to earn, or at least very reasonable. Turnover is high, so long-haulers are extremely valuable and higher positions open up all the time. I believe I was employed during a highly transformative period with the company (their annexation of Walmart's auto division) and that the experience may have been less turbulent in a simpler time.
Co-workers were often disgruntled, but on good days we all felt like winners, and the management did their best to emphasize the importance of a strong, organic team experience. We did our best, I made a lot of friends
  more... and got to work with some highly knowledgable individuals.
All-in-all, if you're into cars and you aren't afraid of rejection, it could be a great job for you in terms of salary and potential management roles within 2-3 years of starting out (for real). If you're more of a service-person at heart and don't like hounding for sales, the pacing probably won't be right for you.
They're a good business, but the auto game is changing fast. For the short term at least, this company is probably the best bet for anybody looking for a quick-lube gig, I genuinely recommend them above other, cheaper companies even to this day.
Pros
Potential for great pay and promotions
Cons
Grueling work, capped commission systems are flawed, urgency is key.
somewhat acceptable place to work
Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  multiple stores in winnipeg26 March 2015
in a typical day you are on your feet constantly for your entire shift. this company does not provide any for of scheduled breaks and you may only take a break if there are no cars in the shop, which means that even having anything so far as food to keep your energy and motivation up is near impossible.
Pros
making customers happy
Cons
long hours on your feet with no breaks
Acceptable environment
Automotive Lube / Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON31 January 2015
Not Bad

- Acceptable somewhat friendly environment

- Insufficient Training

- Good attention to Detail

- Salary

- Acceptable quality Control
Good perks, poor communication
Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2014
Good place to work if you don't mind lack of communication. Good perks but expect you to be able to do more than your share of work.
co-workers are friendly and take time to teach you
Lube technician (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 September 2014
Working lots of hours so pay was good, own work vehicle and go to the same job site in a week so your not jumping around to much
its a good place to learn but dont get tricked
service advisor/master tech (Current Employee) –  saskatoon sk26 August 2014
was promised competitive wages and im making less here doing more work then at my old job doing just tires
Pros
there are no real pros to working here you learn the same stuff in highschool
Cons
management is terrible
Great job
Upper Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 June 2014
Worked there for over a year, got to learn a lot about vehicle maintenance.
Pros
Lots of hours, bonuses
Cons
N/a
Great Company
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Québec, QC12 February 2014
Great company to work for very flexible, lots of hours and bonuses.
amazing fast paced fun place to work
Lower Technician & Lube Specialist (Former Employee) –  ottawa, on23 January 2014
amazing company to work for fun fast and appreciation to the employees
Pros
free lunchs and drinks in the summer
Cons
dirty job
Only closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Made scheduling difficult as most staff want time off around holidays.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 September 2013
Good experience, very dirty job
Oil Exchange Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill9 April 2013
Good experience working on cars. Very dirty workplace, got very greasy, hard physical work, long shifts
Pros
good experience, hands on work
Cons
dirty, long hours
i never minded the work place , i was good and not boring
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 August 2012
i jsut performed most of the jobs repeatedly, management was good, got along well with co-workers i never experienced any hard times at all, infarct i enjoyed the place
Pros
bought my own lunch
Cons
i had decent hours
Good people to work with, but not my type of job.
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 July 2012
I took a course for first year automotive service technician apprenticeship at Okanagan College and I need hours to finish my first year so I applied for a job at Mr. Lube. But apparently, the hours do not count towards my first year. Good people to work with, but for the amount of work and the pressure you get from this work place is not worth the BC's minimum wage. Plus, the owner of this business is there every day to watch what and how you do the job. This place does get variety of vehicles so I will be able to learn a lot since I am still at the learning stage, but I need my hours and most important thing, like everyone else, I need money... Overall, I did not have a good experience with this job.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
minimum wage with a lot of work to do and lots of pressure given
Fun and productive
Certified Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 June 2012
Excellent company to work for, great customer service.I was trained very well and made to feel like part of a family.On a typical day we started dealing with customers right away and when we had down time we would clean and replace used stock.I enjoyed the mechanical side of the job as well as meeting the customers.
Pros
good hours full time
Cons
no benefits
great for a student
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  East York, Ontario16 March 2012
friendly environment the best suited job for any student. learn everything from scratch. friendly people and the management was amazing. free dinners and lunches when ever targets met. more like a family of teenagers and adults working together then anything else.
Pros
good hours
Cons
dirty hands all the time