Moxie's Grill & Bar

Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Reviews

I came into the job with rough skills when it comes to cooking only having experience from high school classes. Them giving me a chance to work a day along side with someone to see if I had potential. Then they hired me and taught how to handle many things like knives and deli slicers in a quick and safe way
Pros
They will give free meals if you cover for someone.
Cons
Busy environment if you're not used to it
Honestly, I love most of the staff I work with. They're fun and understanding. Sometimes management makes poor decisions on behalf of the staff, like cutting a host early when there's a dinner rush or reinforcing rules and not sticking to them or being partial. Also the tip out for hosts are complete bs to be brutally honest. But overall I don't often dread going to work.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
not enough shifts
Flexible hours. Fast paced work environment. Many different locations to choose from if seeking employment, either full or part time. Successful, high level corporate company.
Moxies is where i increased my abilities within the kitchen environment. with a team of great coaches and leadership i was able to expand on my abilities to exceed expectations in any kitchen environment
It was a fun place to work at because I learned a lot while being there. The people where extremely professional and hard working which rubbed off on me.
very nice people and helpful people to work with and hard working people and it is busy the managers are nice i would rec-emend Moxies they also hire handicap people
Pros
nice people to work with
I worked for Moxie's for nearly a year and by the end of it, I felt mentally exhausted. The management was completely one sided and I never felt supported by them. They would tell me to come to them if I had any questions or issues...and as soon as I'd come to them with something, they'd make me feel stupid or belittle me for doing something wrong. On top of all of that, they would hold us off from clocking in until you got your first table sat in your section, no matter what your start time is. So on the less busy days, I'd sit there for over half an hour not getting paid and sometimes they would just send me home if no one was coming in. So I would drive all the way there for no pay or even a meal on them. And at the end of your shift, you only receive 30 mins from the time you're cut to complete all side duties, bus and clean tables, and bill out guests. So if you do not complete all of this within that 30 min time frame, you're basically working for free as they are not paying you past the 30 mins. This to me made it seem like it is a company that would do anything to save a penny, even if it means ripping off their staff. Not to mention the high tip out percentage. The only time i ever made decent money while working at Moxie's was if i worked a split shift from 10am-10pm. And in between the split you get maybe 1-2 hours which is not enough time to eat or go home and there was no meal provided (only 40% off discount for staff). The money was not worth the time and effort put in. Only positive is that they do provide thorough training. Would not suggest even applying.
Pros
thorough training.
Cons
poor management, high tip out, poor hours, made no money, lots of split shifts
This was a very short stint working for them I was still training when I had to leave due to some extremely bad family issues. However what I did notice is that they all seemed like family.
Pros
Lunch.
Cons
Short time
Moxies was a great place for me while I was going to school. They were always very accommodating to my school schedule. I had lots of opportunities for advancement and learning.
Great atmosphere, friendly staff, well organised environment. Exciting job and interactive all around. Depending on the busy mornings, evenings or nights, this job allows you to gain experience towards restaurant industry skills, techniques and more.
Pros
Challenging, interactive and competitive well trained team
Cons
Salary, benefits and stressful at times
I worked here to gain work experience in the workforce while attending school. This was for extra cash while attending high school and I enjoyed working with the people and learning the value of a dollar.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Weekend work
It had its up and downs for sure, not getting tippled out as a host was a down, but the people were very friendly and very kind. The hardest part of the job was that they would only have one host working on weekdays and it could be very stressful as we had the main responsibility of maintaining the restaurants environment.
It has been a long time since i worked here but when i did, the management team was more relaxed than attentive to the floor and to servers. one manager was constantly on her computer during shifts watching movies and would seem annoyed when asked for help. The GM is a cool guy too but hes way too relaxed and doesn't seem to care much. i had no hesitation in leaving.
It was a good job for me as a student, they were flexible and accommodating to work for, made lots of great long lasting friends. Lots of room for different opportunities with the company.
Great place to work. It was a nice restaurant and great people. Mostly people i went to High-School with, as well as staff from previous high-schools.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
busy
A typical day was just taking peoples orders and taking care of all my tables for about 10 hours every day. I learned some new bar tending skills. management was really great there! They were very good with making sure you were helped as well as always being ready to help.
Pros
Excellent Management
Cons
Long Hours
If you work in the morning, everyone yelling about how high the work load is. There are too few cooks for too much work. The kitchen is dirty and the food is of rushed quality as a result.
Pros
Good pay, plenty of hours
Cons
Erratic hours, high pressure, unhappy coworkers
The staff that work here are (for the most part) a delight to work alongside. However, the management is full of individuals not meant for such positions, all for varying reasons.
Awesome development opportunities! Travel around North America doing opens!! People are great fun and lots of parties and prizes to celebrate your time at Moxie's
Pros
Good discounts
fresh fun and positive always want to work there fast passed environment good place for and cook to be im am glad to be part of such a great team .
Pros
gg
Cons
gg
Moxie's is hands down one of the least organized kitchens I've ever worked in. Prep is never finished on time. Certain parts of the line are never stocked properly. If you start at 5 and you need to stock, you won't have much time because that's when the dinner rush starts to trickle in. You're given a ridiculous amount of cleaning duties per station on top of a weekly cleaning duty, which is hard to get done when they want you to be finished within your scheduled time. A typical day is arriving to work when it's already busy, not having enough stock on the line, being behind on orders due to the fact that you constantly need to run to the fridge and then being blamed for long ticket times. Management rarely solves problems. The culture is sort of divided between the two types of employee's. You have the lifers who are pretty gung ho about everything, and you have the employees who are just there until their other careers take off.The hardest part of the job is trying not to quit over problems that shouldn't exist. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the night. What I learned from working there is how to not run a restaurant. They also think Demi-Glace is actually called Demi-Glaze.
Pros
You will be motivated to do better with your life
Cons
You are underpaid for level of qualification