Moxie's Grill & Bar
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Reviews for Cook

Yea dont know what to say it was your usual cut throat kitchen BS there was the odd few that were cool people, but overall the place wasn't anything special
not comment i don't have anything to say about what happened for me to moxies but honestly i don't wish to go back there they don't have respect for employees
Consistently inconsistent. Chefs don't provide helpful constructive criticism or advice on how to work better or be more efficient. They DO NOT TEACH. Horrible communication. None of the management are very supportive, they just scream at you when you make them look bad. Front of house employees constantly get incentives to do their job better, playing games and winning cash/ gift cards. Back of house almost never.
a typical day of work consists of working hard with a great manaqgement staff and great co workers . the workplace is already brand new and i love the way it is set up
Moxie's is hands down one of the least organized kitchens I've ever worked in. Prep is never finished on time. Certain parts of the line are never stocked properly. If you start at 5 and you need to stock, you won't have much time because that's when the dinner rush starts to trickle in. You're given a ridiculous amount of cleaning duties per station on top of a weekly cleaning duty, which is hard to get done when they want you to be finished within your scheduled time. A typical day is arriving to work when it's already busy, not having enough stock on the line, being behind on orders due to the fact that you constantly need to run to the fridge and then being blamed for long ticket times. Management rarely solves problems. The culture is sort of divided between the two types of employee's. You have the lifers who are pretty gung ho about everything, and you have the employees who are just there until their other careers take off.The hardest part of the job is trying not to quit over problems that shouldn't exist. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the night. What I learned from working there is how to not run a restaurant. They also think Demi-Glace is actually called Demi-Glaze.
Pros
You will be motivated to do better with your life
Cons
You are underpaid for level of qualification
Fast paced, great environment. High quality food. Shifts can be exhausting specially if you have a family. Changing schedules can wear you out. Good for people without kids.
was grreat place to work learned a lot and saw my skills improve as the year went on. management was a bit choppy didnt gel with the supervisors or rest of line and wasnt very sociable with some people. the people i worked with were great and still are friends to this day, cooking at their place and going out to enjoy food at quality restaraunts. the hardest part of the job was dealing with customers and if their steak wasnt cooked "to their liking," especially with everyone being a 'home master chef' now its really hard to get people happy sometimes with the doneness of their meat. but whatever the guest wants the guest gets, make em happy and we all are happy!
would begin shift doing inventory of products relevant to my daily tasks, would assist in other areas of the restaurant on an as needed basis. I was tasked with preparing the low stocked items first for before revenues to ensure efficient and product service, and to quickly and efficiently complete list as according to specific specifications. Was given daily time goals to achieve for completion of all tasks and in the event of in-completion at agreed to time then an action plan was made for future time goals to be met. I have always desired goal oriented workplaces as I believe with a clear goal anything can be accomplished with appropriate planning and team oriented attitudes.
A typical day would be preparing my work area in the morning, cleaning it all down with sanitizer, then getting things in the oven such as ribs, or other things that took a number of time to cook, turkey ect... Followed by preparing multiple recipes throughout the day (sauces, wraps, salads,realistically everything was prepared by me and the other preparation cook, for the cooks to cook, I had to learn proper knife technique, and often diced up lots of squid, chicken, in various ways. And then of course clean up at the end of the day. I learned many recipes, there was about 100 recipes at least in the recipe book, and I made just about everything in the book at one time or another. Management was agreeable but strict, a busy kitchen environment, errors were certainly criticized to some degree, as it would waste time to have to start something over again, or if you left out an ingredient, ect.. Co-workers were diligent, and worked well as a team, communication in a busy kitchen was very important, and even just going behind someone you had to notify them. The hardest part was working on sales day or during the summer, it was hot in the kitchen and employees had to mandatory drink water through the day. On busy days with lots of employees I sometimes had very little time in between each thing I was preparing. I always kept my cool and worked diligently, but there were stressful days. The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing a recipe perfectly, or getting a step ahead of your jobs to take a relaxing break, often got food as well to eat, that was extra.
management was not very organized and over staffed a lot of the time
Pros
free meal one per shift
Cons
managment very un orginized and very hard to deal with
Working with Moxie's for the most part was great and a valuable learning experience. It helped me to keep my cool under extreme pressure, and to work with speed without sacrificing quality. I worked with many friendly and skillful cooks, where we were able to bounce ideas off each other. Management had their days as do many people. Some days they were great to work with other a big pain. We all worked as hard and as fast as we could but it never seemed fast or hard enough for the management which I would say was the most frustrating and hardest thing to deal with while I was employed there. The staff both front and back were and are some of the greatest and most friendliest people i ve met.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Short Hours
Enjoyed working with this company wage was good ... fast paced .. average $15,000 - 20,000 in food sales per day very excellent company to work for