Moxie's Grill & Bar
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Reviews for Bartender

You'll work with anyone from high school students to experienced workers, the management varies between location but really makes or breaks the experience of working at Moxies. Corporate locations are great usually with management because of union and other factors.
When I started at Moxie’s, it was full of life, employed great people who had ambition and positive personalities, had management who cared, and actually put out dishes that the kitchen was passionate about. I regret to say that this is not the case anymore. The aesthetic of Moxie’s has diminished severely over time. They used to hire people who cared about their own personal hygiene, cleanliness, and overall appearance. It was mandatory to come to work as the best version of yourself with a “glamorous evening look” and polished uniform. Now, it seems as if employees can just roll out of bed and come to work. In terms of job advancement, that comes mostly based off of hard work and loyalty. However, management made some very questionable decisions about promoting certain employees to supervisory/bartending/shift leading positions even after they had heard about misconduct. The only motive for this was scheduling and to make managements lives easier because they had more people trained for certain positions. It is clear that they care more about the quantity of people trained rather than the quality of people trained. Salary wise, they pay minimum wage per hour. Tipout increased 100% from the time I started. I began when tipout was 3.25% and by the time I left, it was 7.00%. Managers also began to receive a portion of the server’s tipout. To me, it made no sense that I was paying out of my pocket to have a manager on the floor. I was employed for a long time and would have stayed longer if the management and owner activity wasn’t so suspicious. The work culture, however, - more...
Pros
Schedule flexibility, tips, staff happy hour deals
Cons
Management, building maintenance issues that owners refuse to fix, long hours, physically demanding
The favouritism by the management was absurd and not subtle what so ever. It didn’t matter how hard of a worker you were. I have seen a lot of verbal harassment and bullying by management. There is no managerial support what so ever. Managers would either not be found or pretending they were busy. They wouldn’t care to watch you crash and burn on busy day/night. The tip out is insanely high at 5.5% and most of it goes to the management. The only bright side was the fellow employees
Pros
Staff
Cons
Management, bullying, favouritism, tip out
The tip out percentage is so high that you end up making wayyyy less than what you expect for the amount of stress and time you’re there. Management favours certain people based on personal relationships which is really unprofessional. Also I didn’t really talk to too many people at work but there was always some kind of drama going on with the servers.
Pros
Free food sometimes, nice customers
Cons
Big tip out, poor management
You can start your way from the dinning room and make your way to work at the lounge. Many loyal guest and great opportunity to make good tips. Enjoyed my time here.
thorough training and competitive skill enhancing opportunities flexible shifts and work to life balance great networking and career enhancing opportunities
Terrible terrible management to the point of harassment. Constant belittlement of staff and illicit activity behind the scenes. Owner/GM is a wrecking ball in his own establishment.
Not a busy location, and quite corperate, but a good serving job in general/ Met lots of friends and created great guest experiences. not to bad at all
I gave this place everything, and it was never enough. From the heels, to the “full face of makeup,” to the hair down even when sweat is dripping down your face... it’s not server friendly. Tipping out 5% of sales, which supervisors get a cut of and minimum wage paid hosts do not. Hiring a pig of a head chef who makes innapropriate comments to all the girls. Sending a “miracle fixer” foh manager who confused everything and half the staff quit. Way to go Moxie’s, your brand standards are ridiculous
The staff here is absolutely amazing. Would recommend to anyone wanting to join a fun hard working family. Management can be unorganized though and guests can be annoying since it is in brampton
Best staff, and leadership at any place I've ever worked! Greatnfood, even better drinks.. guests are wonderful too. This is the place that youll want to work!!
Great restaurant that has a lot of opportunities for growth within the industry. Very fun environment to work in as well, even during hectic shifts. Would highly recommend.
They are more worried about their head office staff getting proper service than any guest in the establishment. They have skirt maximum length and won't even let you change out of your heels if your feet hurt so bad you cant even properly serve your tables anymore. One of the worst.
Flexible hours. Fast paced work environment. Many different locations to choose from if seeking employment, either full or part time. Successful, high level corporate company.
I worked for Moxie's for nearly a year and by the end of it, I felt mentally exhausted. The management was completely one sided and I never felt supported by them. They would tell me to come to them if I had any questions or issues...and as soon as I'd come to them with something, they'd make me feel stupid or belittle me for doing something wrong. On top of all of that, they would hold us off from clocking in until you got your first table sat in your section, no matter what your start time is. So on the less busy days, I'd sit there for over half an hour not getting paid and sometimes they would just send me home if no one was coming in. So I would drive all the way there for no pay or even a meal on them. And at the end of your shift, you only receive 30 mins from the time you're cut to complete all side duties, bus and clean tables, and bill out guests. So if you do not complete all of this within that 30 min time frame, you're basically working for free as they are not paying you past the 30 mins. This to me made it seem like it is a company that would do anything to save a penny, even if it means ripping off their staff. Not to mention the high tip out percentage. The only time i ever made decent money while working at Moxie's was if i worked a split shift from 10am-10pm. And in between the split you get maybe 1-2 hours which is not enough time to eat or go home and there was no meal provided (only 40% off discount for staff). The money was not worth the time and effort put in. Only positive is that they do provide thorough training. Would not suggest even applying.
Pros
thorough training.
Cons
poor management, high tip out, poor hours, made no money, lots of split shifts
Moxies was a great place for me while I was going to school. They were always very accommodating to my school schedule. I had lots of opportunities for advancement and learning.
Dont work at Moxies South port in Calgary AB. Literally the worst management I have ever experienced. Employers yell at you in front of customers.. when I quit, I tried to give 2 weeks notice.. manager didn't answer calls, emails or text messages from me and refused to put me on the schedule. I went in to the restaurant to pick up my tips and from previous shifts and they refused to give them.. waste of time to work there when management is like that
Pros
didn't experience any
Cons
no morale, aggressive management
My advancement in the company was hindered because I was not an attractive 20-25 year old female. Was not allowed to work to my strengths because of my gender.
Pros
Steady hours and pay
Cons
Very sexist company
Professional placement with a great team and great guests. Attached to a hotel so people all across the world would come in. Management was great and supported team.
There is always a welcoming vibe at the restaurant and the servers always do their best to accommodate your needs as much as they can. The food is excellent and the prices are very affordable.
Great workplace environment with an opportunity to learn excellent customer service experience. Management is always very supportive, the workplace culture is upbeat and friendly. The hardest part of the job is learning to multitask in a fast paced environment. The enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to make new friends and grow as a team.