Moxie's Grill & Bar

Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Reviews in Mississauga, ON

While this is more of an upscale restaurant, the people working here did not reflect that as much. It was quite difficult working here all the time but it paid the bills.
I loved my experience working at moxies, it taught me how to communicate well with the team and guests. It was an extremely fast-paced environment, but i thrived working in that environment.
The favouritism by the management was absurd and not subtle what so ever. It didn’t matter how hard of a worker you were. I have seen a lot of verbal harassment and bullying by management. There is no managerial support what so ever. Managers would either not be found or pretending they were busy. They wouldn’t care to watch you crash and burn on busy day/night. The tip out is insanely high at 5.5% and most of it goes to the management. The only bright side was the fellow employees
Pros
Staff
Cons
Management, bullying, favouritism, tip out
The tip out percentage is so high that you end up making wayyyy less than what you expect for the amount of stress and time you’re there. Management favours certain people based on personal relationships which is really unprofessional. Also I didn’t really talk to too many people at work but there was always some kind of drama going on with the servers.
Pros
Free food sometimes, nice customers
Cons
Big tip out, poor management
Long hours of standing very fast paced inviorment, work as team relying on other stations to have success for the lunch and dinner service, multitasking, taking care of severe allergies
You'll work with anyone from high school students to experienced workers, the management varies between location but really makes or breaks the experience of working at Moxies. Corporate locations are great usually with management because of union and other factors.
your feet will bleed... just be prepared. tips at this location are not great. cooks were extremely cool. :) :) :) management changed all the time cause they were not the best at their jobs
Started this job about a month ago and I was just recently laid off from dishwasher due to the management stating that my effort and organization still wasn't there from when I started despite the fact that I literally wash all the dishes I get on time but I constantly have to stay back to wash all the extra dishes that the line and prep cooks keep bringing past my scheduled time. The next dishwasher for night literally will not come for another 2 hours after I'm done which means more dishes will come in and there's nobody to replace me and I cant go on breaks, They'll tell u to clean everything for the next dish person and when u stay back to wash the extra dishes that takes the line Cooks forever to bring you'll get blamed for not washing dishes that haven't arrived yet. Overall the management needs better leadership and an organized system for the dishwashers
moxie's is a fast pace environment. i learned how to work all of line and prep. the management are a bit unorganized. the team works together well. the most enjoyable part of working at moxie's is the team
I loved working there and I got loads of appreciation and I enjoyed a lot. moreover I learnt many new things from my team mates and great environment
Moxies was alright, their food as great! But management was very unprofessional. The managers have conflict of intrest problems, getting involved with staff members and there is a whole lot of drama. Theres a standard for how you look to work there and a standard for how and what you sell. Overall i stressed going into work because it was like another course for me to pass, not my job. I enjoyed the staff they made it ok.
Enjoyed working in a fun easy going work environment. Great for people who enjoy the customer service industry. Management was great, and understanding with the schedule.
Honestly, I love most of the staff I work with. They're fun and understanding. Sometimes management makes poor decisions on behalf of the staff, like cutting a host early when there's a dinner rush or reinforcing rules and not sticking to them or being partial. Also the tip out for hosts are complete bs to be brutally honest. But overall I don't often dread going to work.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
not enough shifts
It has been a long time since i worked here but when i did, the management team was more relaxed than attentive to the floor and to servers. one manager was constantly on her computer during shifts watching movies and would seem annoyed when asked for help. The GM is a cool guy too but hes way too relaxed and doesn't seem to care much. i had no hesitation in leaving.
fresh fun and positive always want to work there fast passed environment good place for and cook to be im am glad to be part of such a great team .
Pros
gg
Cons
gg
Moxie's is hands down one of the least organized kitchens I've ever worked in. Prep is never finished on time. Certain parts of the line are never stocked properly. If you start at 5 and you need to stock, you won't have much time because that's when the dinner rush starts to trickle in. You're given a ridiculous amount of cleaning duties per station on top of a weekly cleaning duty, which is hard to get done when they want you to be finished within your scheduled time. A typical day is arriving to work when it's already busy, not having enough stock on the line, being behind on orders due to the fact that you constantly need to run to the fridge and then being blamed for long ticket times. Management rarely solves problems. The culture is sort of divided between the two types of employee's. You have the lifers who are pretty gung ho about everything, and you have the employees who are just there until their other careers take off.The hardest part of the job is trying not to quit over problems that shouldn't exist. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the night. What I learned from working there is how to not run a restaurant. They also think Demi-Glace is actually called Demi-Glaze.
Pros
You will be motivated to do better with your life
Cons
You are underpaid for level of qualification
Moxie`s Bar & Grill is a great place to work due to their warm welcoming staff. A typical day would be: -punch in -change into uniform -a brief rundown of how the day was before your shift -your shift begins -your shift ends A learned that teamwork is important in a cooperative work environment. The management is very understanding, if any inconveniences were to happen they understand your position and do what they can to help. The workplace is fun and enlightening, they engage with you to a friend level making you feel involved and welcome. The hardest part of the job was closing, being a Dishwasher you close your station last because you have to clean the other stations' equipment and that keeps the managers and other coworkers waiting. The most enjoyable part of the job is starting because everyone greets you and your coworkers give you intel on how the day is going and what they predict the day will be like, which helps you prepare for later.
Pros
Free lunches, Good discount
Cons
Long hours, Standing a lot, Late closes
Fast paced, great environment. High quality food. Shifts can be exhausting specially if you have a family. Changing schedules can wear you out. Good for people without kids.
Good people, staff and management included - the owners were great too! Hours were long with a family though- definitely, on the management side, a challenge some days
Moxie's has a good culture and, on the franchise I've worked for, great management team. My superiors were always eager to coach me and there were many opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately, the industry demands long hours, late nights and weekends.
Pros
Good benefits, free lunches and good discounts.
Cons
Long hours and mandatory weekends
Learned a lot about the industry from this job. Was a great career starting job for me and I would recommend it to anyone getting into hospitality management.