Moxie's Grill & Bar

Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

I loved my job here. I was only with them for a short while, but the management really cared about their employees and it showed in their action every day... I would highly recommend this company.
When I started at Moxie’s, it was full of life, employed great people who had ambition and positive personalities, had management who cared, and actually put out dishes that the kitchen was passionate about. I regret to say that this is not the case anymore. The aesthetic of Moxie’s has diminished severely over time. They used to hire people who cared about their own personal hygiene, cleanliness, and overall appearance. It was mandatory to come to work as the best version of yourself with a “glamorous evening look” and polished uniform. Now, it seems as if employees can just roll out of bed and come to work. In terms of job advancement, that comes mostly based off of hard work and loyalty. However, management made some very questionable decisions about promoting certain employees to supervisory/bartending/shift leading positions even after they had heard about misconduct. The only motive for this was scheduling and to make managements lives easier because they had more people trained for certain positions. It is clear that they care more about the quantity of people trained rather than the quality of people trained. Salary wise, they pay minimum wage per hour. Tipout increased 100% from the time I started. I began when tipout was 3.25% and by the time I left, it was 7.00%. Managers also began to receive a portion of the server’s tipout. To me, it made no sense that I was paying out of my pocket to have a manager on the floor. I was employed for a long time and would have stayed longer if the management and owner activity wasn’t so suspicious. The work culture, however, - more...
Pros
Schedule flexibility, tips, staff happy hour deals
Cons
Management, building maintenance issues that owners refuse to fix, long hours, physically demanding
Worked there for 2 years loved it very much but only because of the managers they really took care of employees and put us first before the job never had been treated so well
Pros
Discounts for family and friends, easy menu to remember
Cons
Not as busy as other restaurants
The most important thing to me in a job is great environment, understanding and great work ethic. Clear instructions and team work. Which is help to grow professional growth that all got from my job in Moxies.
For a new store with many long time employees of the company, it was not well organized to begin training. There was alot of underqualified people hired initially and they were weeded out quickly.
Although majority of the staff were nice, expect to be over worked as a support staff and have little to no one helping you, the servers chill and talk in the back while you, the well dressed custodian clean up their messes.
Pros
Somewhat flexible hours (just book off a month in advance)
Cons
You are technically a custodian, not worth the pay, support staff are treated like slaves. If you’re anything but a server you’re wasting your time, would be better quite frankly to be unemployed, unless you like excessive cleaning and labor in dress pants or a squirt then have fun!
Worked their finished dishes faster than the cooks. Dishwasher was old and had problems. Bosses always tried to not speak english even aorund customers. The Christmas party was at a Bar on southside at 12 am. Cooks were the only friendly people in the kitchen. Rude bosses looked at each other like they are specail more than the customers.
dinner service can be stressful while having to meet customer demands with a sense of urgency management and coworkers can cliquey at time pay was low how ever tips were usually good
It's okay here, you work hard/ no matter how long you work in the company you still get min wage the environment is Okay, not the best not the worst.
Great place to work, with flexible hours. The people become like a family, you're never bored. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with people.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
not sure how long shifts are
It is a 50/50 chance that it will be busy. I have found that lately with the economy being so low, it has not been very busy or beneficial money wise. The people you work with are great, sometimes management is not that pleasant. Not very leader-like. The hardest part of your job is dealing with the guests that come in, as I am sure it is like that everywhere you go. The most enjoyable part is the regulars that come in and build a relationship with you.
Most of my experience with Moxie's was quite good. There was one manager that was a little abrasive at times, but overall the staff were all treated equally, the management was excellent and the work environment was great.
Pros
discounts
Loved working for Moxie's! The owners are super nice and there is definitely room for advancement, if you are wanting that. Learned how to do payroll, put in liquor orders, and counts for inventory. They always have a feature menu, with great new items to test out from well known chefs. Great ideas!
I became very aware of everything going on in our restaurant, I was a hostess leader therefore i trained most of the new hostesses. Management was absolutely terrible. Mixes managers did not know how to speak to their employees.
Pros
awesome people
Cons
management
Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Day consists of taking orders from guests and making them feel welcome while being hospitable. Management is very flexible with working hours.
Great hours along with you get a chance to work with amazing people and make great friends that can always help you out when it comes to covering a shift.
Worked with many outgoing individuals who appreciate the challenge of a fast paced atmosphere. Shifts tended to be limited in hours in order to match the customer demand. I enjoyed the nature of meeting new people everyday and I believe my interpersonal and communication skills strengthened as a result. I would view management as the area for the biggest opportunity to improve - more in depth training regarding procedures and formulating positive relationships could be very beneficial to the moral and productivity of the company. Interacting with such a diverse range of people was an exciting opportunity that further educated me towards the importance of customer service.
Pros
Quick money and food discounts!
Cons
Limited hours - Shiftwork
It was just a job to work while I was in school. the people there weren't always the nicest, a lot of people had their own groups. There were a lot of people who would show up hungover & the bosses like to drink a lot.
-the management is excellent (both professional and respectful to coworkers and flexible) -very flexible organization and management to work with -friendly coworkers -the culture is also very relaxed and professional at the same time
Pros
managment
my manager was very fun to work with and he was very nice he never yelled or screamed but he did get the job done. the pay wasn't the best but my co-workers made up for that.
Pros
very fun to come in to work
Cons
hours could conflict with personal life
staffing was fair and accurate. there was always ongoing training for new products. management was very good and always lead by example. the people i worked with were great and hard working.