Moxie's Grill & Bar
Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Review

Not well organized

16 February 2020
For a new store with many long time employees of the company, it was not well organized to begin training. There was alot of underqualified people hired initially and they were weeded out quickly.
2.0Job security/advancement
21 April 2021
Same role
Prep Cook (Former Employee) - Winnipeg, MB
I came into the job with rough skills when it comes to cooking only having experience from high school classes. Them giving me a chance to work a day along side with someone to see if I had potential. Then they hired me and taught how to handle many things like knives and deli slicers in a quick and safe way
Pros
They will give free meals if you cover for someone.
Cons
Busy environment if you're not used to it
9 February 2021
Same role
Prep Cook (Former Employee) - Ottawa, ON
Received little to no training. Given ridiculous workload. Had to work long shifts, often without being able to take a break. Staff was rude and mouthy, trying to be Gordon Ramsay-esque.
Pros
Cons
Hostile work environment
7 September 2020
Same location
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) - Edmonton, AB
When I started at Moxie’s, it was full of life, employed great people who had ambition and positive personalities, had management who cared, and actually put out dishes that the kitchen was passionate about. I regret to say that this is not the case anymore. The aesthetic of Moxie’s has diminished severely over time. They used to hire people who cared about their own personal hygiene, cleanliness, and overall appearance. It was mandatory to come to work as the best version of yourself with a “glamorous evening look” and polished uniform. Now, it seems as if employees can just roll out of bed and come to work. In terms of job advancement, that comes mostly based off of hard work and loyalty. However, management made some very questionable decisions about promoting certain employees to supervisory/bartending/shift leading positions even after they had heard about misconduct. The only motive for this was scheduling and to make managements lives easier because they had more people trained for certain positions. It is clear that they care more about the quantity of people trained rather than the quality of people trained. Salary wise, they pay minimum wage per hour. Tipout increased 100% from the time I started. I began when tipout was 3.25% and by the time I left, it was 7.00%. Managers also began to receive a portion of the server’s tipout. To me, it made no sense that I was paying out of my pocket to have a manager on the floor. I was employed for a long time and would have stayed longer if the management and owner activity wasn’t so suspicious. The work culture, however, - more...
Pros
Schedule flexibility, tips, staff happy hour deals
Cons
Management, building maintenance issues that owners refuse to fix, long hours, physically demanding